Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

they clearly reshot the poo poo out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

The mcu book meaning a book based on a movie that was based on a bunch of books?

No, a book about the creation and behind the scenes issues with the MCU.

MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios https://a.co/d/3SOCrRz

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Soonmot posted:

Oh that should be interestng!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Decided to see the Marvels despite my original MEH feelings.

Glad I did. It was a lot of fun. Wife loved it, she laughed a ton.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That was a lot of fun. Reminded me of Ant-Man 2 in its hang out comedy vibe. I was waiting for Jude Law to pop up though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

stan you lost it at the end

quote:

When it came time to shoot the obligatory Stan Lee cameo—he played a spaceman talking to the omniscient Watcher—Marvel trusted Gunn to film Lee’s cameos in two other movies to limit the number of times Lee, who was then ninety-three, would need to travel to Georgia. When Gunn introduced Lee to Tom Holland, the newest Peter Parker, Stan the Man ribbed the young actor: “Everyone says you’re great! Personally, I don’t see it.”

e: hmm i feel like there was another reason things didn't turn out well for joss

quote:

Gunn hopping from Marvel to DC worked out better for him than it did for Whedon, who had finished the troubled Justice League movie in 2017, after director Zack Snyder dropped out following the death of his daughter. Whedon rewrote the script and oversaw additional photography, but his snarky tone fit awkwardly with the somber grandiloquence of Snyder’s footage. Whedon infuriated just about everybody: stars of the movie like Gal Gadot and Ray Fisher, who complained that the director was abusive; Snyder’s strident army of fans; and Snyder himself, who somehow convinced Warner Bros. to give him $70 million to finish his own cut of the movie, released as a streaming video four years later.

site fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 12, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Good crowd at the marvels here. I haven't seen a movie with a packed house since no way home. This is on par with the crowd at Dune.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Arist posted:

they clearly reshot the poo poo out of it

Marvel's MO lately has been to hire a black director to get a press pop and for virtua signaling purposes and then to control them every step of the production and then take over once principle photography is complete.

Its happening right now with Captain America: New World Order

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just saw it. That was a very fun movie. Had some great laughs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is what Marvel needs to be doing, smaller, shorter more focused stories that are a straight beat the bad guy adventure and a little comedy mixed in.

The whole "you need to watch 100 hours of other material!" is always so overblown, especially with this movie. Everything you need to know about it is explained in the movie.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

site posted:

I mean Stan was almost completely blind at that point so he has kinda right.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

This is what Marvel needs to be doing, smaller, shorter more focused stories that are a straight beat the bad guy adventure and a little comedy mixed in.

It reminded me of a Star Trek movie and in a good way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly it's a little upsetting knowing interest in the MCU is at its lowest while Loki s2 capping off the same week as the marvels is probably the strongest it has been in a quite a while

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Honestly it's a little upsetting knowing interest in the MCU is at its lowest while Loki s2 capping off the same week as the marvels is probably the strongest it has been in a quite a while

I was thinking the exact same thing while walking home. Movies do tend to get a bump from good word of mouth and I think the Marvels will benefit from it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It really sucks that this movie didn't get pushed back. Even if it got a couple weeks, that'd give the stars some time to promote it. I hope this does well in digital/physical sales because I really think this is one of the better films of phase 4...or whatever phase we're in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

It really sucks that this movie didn't get pushed back. Even if it got a couple weeks, that'd give the stars some time to promote it. I hope this does well in digital/physical sales because I really think this is one of the better films of phase 4...or whatever phase we're in.

Phase 5 started with Ant-Man.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They also marketed it terribly. The Beastie Boys trailer perfectly matched the tone of the movie and all the subsequent ones with Thanos didn't.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think Marvels will have a slower drop off and last longer than, say, The Flash, but for me, I have no urgency to see this in theaters.
It's not even just tired of Marvel, it's more related to multiple wars and a bunch of poo poo going on. I feel like its just a me thing, but then I talk to people and its like, "Oh hey, you're sick of it all too"

That's my E/N post for The BSS Movie Thread, no questions.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think Marvels will have a slower drop off and last longer than, say, The Flash, but for me, I have no urgency to see this in theaters.
It's not even just tired of Marvel, it's more related to multiple wars and a bunch of poo poo going on. I feel like its just a me thing, but then I talk to people and its like, "Oh hey, you're sick of it all too"

That's my E/N post for The BSS Movie Thread, no questions.

No I for sure have this feeling of like 'I kinda don't really care about movies very much right now because we need multiple simultaneous full scale global revolutions"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's what BSS stands for! The Button that Starts Simultaneous global revolutions! You're posting that doomer poo poo in exactly the right place!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Kree's long con in this movie did make me think about current events.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't know how you're getting into Gaza to join the PLO to fight against the Israelis but good luck

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

SlimGoodbody posted:

No I for sure have this feeling of like 'I kinda don't really care about movies very much right now because we need multiple simultaneous full scale global revolutions"

That's always

Movies are a welcome break from that reality imo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mid credits talk Monica wearing the straight up Binary outfit was pretty cool. I do wish we had seen another Xmen, See McAvoy Prof X, blend the 2 casts together a little.

I also hope this Young Avengers thing is a D+ show. I think a big ensemble cast of young heroes that have a series of adventures would be best, rather than some 3 hour overstuffed movie where they need to defeat Annhilus

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

site posted:

To be fair, that's just regular old Stan Lee banter. See also him roasting Liefeld and McFarlane on their VHS tape 30 years ago

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

That's what BSS stands for! The Button that Starts Simultaneous global revolutions! You're posting that doomer poo poo in exactly the right place!

I keep pressing the post button and it keeps not working ☹️

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twistedmentat posted:

I also hope this Young Avengers thing is a D+ show. I think a big ensemble cast of young heroes that have a series of adventures would be best, rather than some 3 hour overstuffed movie where they need to defeat Annhilus

I had the same thought. But who do we have? Kamala, Kate, Cassie, America, Riri. And you could make the case for Love, Scar, and with a stretch Patriot (At least there are actors for those roles). If Eternals 2 is going to be a thing, maybe you could throw in Sprite, but frankly, the less I see of them (the Eternals in general) the happier I am. Maybe Vision Quest will give us Wiccan and Speed, or Vi. My buddy thinks that Iron Lad will be introduced in one of the upcoming movies, but with Riri, that would make another Iron character redundant. And I don't think that even if Disney had access to Miles or Gwen (or even Penni), they would "waste" them on this lineup. And I hate to point this out, but even if all those characters were being considered, it's 2:1 female characters to male. While I don't think that's a bad thing, it's not a very marketable thing.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just saw the Marvels. Strong movie, lacking some bits but I'll take 1 of these over 10 Quantumaniae. I was laughing my drat rear end off at the credits stinger when Kamala is giving Kate the "Fury recruits Iron Man" speech almost word for word...except when it wasn't.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think a lot of people are starting to feel this way tbh

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Lunella for Young Avengers, please

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Marvels:

I wish Maria Hill would've been in this, instead of dead for no reason. Wonder if she originally was and they had to excise her because this movie was supposed to come out before Secret Invasion, wasn't it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I doubt it. She wasn't in the first one and there's not really any need for her in the marvels

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, if you were hoping for LGBT representation, this is still a Disney movie. It's a spectacularly subtexty movie, but never does anything that would require the censors to cut anything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Well, if you were hoping for LGBT representation, this is still a Disney movie. It's a spectacularly subtexty movie, but never does anything that would require the censors to cut anything.

yeah, it's like claremont's x-men, there if you know what to look for. I really do wonder how much is corporate repressiveness and how much is for release in china. So loving frustrating.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is Valkyrie and Carol a thing in the comics?

It occurs to me that a lot of space Avengers have moved to Earth lately: the Asgardians, Quill and now Carol.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I greatly enjoyed The Marvels, very fun with surprisingly good fight choreography throughout and the three leads were charming and worked together wonderfully.

My main gripe, as has been the case with a lot of post-Endgame content, is the villain having potential to be nuanced and engaging but being reduced to cartoonish villainy for no reason. What she was doing was for the benefit of her people at the expense of others, but she has to be reduced to a mustache twirling ne’er-do-well instead of being allowed to have any real depth. I think if she was more somber about the resources she had to strip from these planets instead of just saying, “gently caress you Carol” I could’ve vibed with her better.

I’d also like to have known more about the MCU’s Quantum Bands or what happened to the second one at the end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sanschel posted:

I’d also like to have known more about the MCU’s Quantum Bands or what happened to the second one at the end.

Carol is wearing the second one in the moving/plane scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sanschel posted:

You see Carol wearing it in the shot of them getting into the airplane at the end.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Oh, I completely missed that! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just got back from The Marvels, I liked it a lot! Lots of fun, good fights and the switching was fun, and the fler-kittens :3:. I do hope it does better than predicted.