Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
GN has a teardown of the new refreshed steam deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jhRh11bTRA

I don't have the old one and don't really have a use case for this but the engineering changes are pretty fascinating.

Posted about it in the laptop thread but I'd love to have this in a 10" laptop like my minibook. Budget Chinese brands just don't have the resources to engineer something like this or get AMD to make a snowflake SOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm so far removed from this stuff these days, but my nephew is trying to learn more about building computers. Any good recommendations other than Gamers Nexus and stay away from LTT?

When I was super active in the pcbuild thread a few years back, I used to link to a couple of jayz2cents vids as the answer to this question.

I would prefer to link someone else these days, but a number of his basic pc build tutorial vids were really good and I've never run into anyone else I thought did it better.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm so far removed from this stuff these days, but my nephew is trying to learn more about building computers. Any good recommendations other than Gamers Nexus and stay away from LTT?

The old Custom PC Magazine channel bit-tech has some excellent content. Added bonus the chap who does their truly mind-blowing builds has a ridiculous moustache.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I always feel a little bad when I come across a channel that has videos with a poo poo load of views but the actual channel has like 1/10th of the subscribers.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

The Verge also did a really good video a few years ago that was popular.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My parents have an old mac in their kitchen which only plays YouTube and Netflix and the news, and I gave them Firefox with Ublock. This seems to gently caress up the YouTube ad blocker thing completely, it refuses to play any video despite me doing the update every day and then at one point white listing youtube. It was so infuriating so I opened an instance with the ads on and holy loving poo poo I did not know youtube without ad blockers was that bad. Ads at every corner, ads disguised as legitimate videos, ads every 3 minutes. They chiefly listen to those 30 songs by specific musician type of videos and there were videos titled "romantic classics to soothe your soul for 5 hours" which were, in fact, ads!

I got so fed up I just let them use my premium account (bought from India using a vpn) and turned history off. I'll probably only let them return to their original account once ublock origin on firefox is fully functional against youtube without user input, ad filled youtube made me feel like I was in a war zone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Blurb3947 posted:

The Verge also did a really good video a few years ago that was popular.

:stare:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Klyith posted:

When I was super active in the pcbuild thread a few years back, I used to link to a couple of jayz2cents vids as the answer to this question.

I would prefer to link someone else these days, but a number of his basic pc build tutorial vids were really good and I've never run into anyone else I thought did it better.

Paul’s Hardware did a refreshed intro to PC building series earlier this year too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kerbtree posted:

They came out as non-binary at some point, started using the name Mildred and any/all pronouns.

https://youtu.be/fPWkkP3LtEk?si=sSzn_dYP9bMNodbg

Xanderhal is basically the dude/nb version of ShoeOnHead. I wouldn’t post them like ever on here, and I wouldn’t take any of their claims about other content creators seriously at all

Their claim to ‘fame’ is being a “reformed” white nationalist who says stuff like “ex-Nazis are better progressives than people who have been progressive their entire lives, because they’ve seen both sides” and being one of the champions of the “we have to get the ‘blue hairs’ and radical feminists out of the left in order to better appeal to working class people” talking point (before dying their own hair blue).

They also peddle a lot of white grievance poo poo under the guise of being “anti tankie” that makes their buddy Vaush’s treatment of various black content creators look tame and decent by comparison, and generally give a strong impression that while their stated politics may have evolved, they’re still the same racist they’ve always been.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Klyith posted:

Once you have picked a case to build in, check if this guy has a suitable video. Very chill, knowledgeable, and points out specific gotchas based on the case/cooler.

https://youtube.com/@ChristopherFlannigan

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

Xanderhal is basically the dude/nb version of ShoeOnHead. I wouldn’t post them like ever on here, and I wouldn’t take any of their claims about other content creators seriously at all

Their claim to ‘fame’ is being a “reformed” white nationalist who says stuff like “ex-Nazis are better progressives than people who have been progressive their entire lives, because they’ve seen both sides” and being one of the champions of the “we have to get the ‘blue hairs’ and radical feminists out of the left in order to better appeal to working class people” talking point (before dying their own hair blue).

They also peddle a lot of white grievance poo poo under the guise of being “anti tankie” that makes their buddy Vaush’s treatment of various black content creators look tame and decent by comparison, and generally give a strong impression that while their stated politics may have evolved, they’re still the same racist they’ve always been.

Xander being a poo poo does not change ThoughtSlime cooking up the sex cult crap though...
Either way this is one of those conversations that is no longer possible, if you take either stance the other side will suddenly assign a laundry list of garbage to you and it'll never end.

At least none of this matters because all these people are complete nobodies with no power to really change anything, so the internet leftie slapfights can largely be ignored for the sake of sanity.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Once you have picked a case to build in, check if this guy has a suitable video. Very chill, knowledgeable, and points out specific gotchas based on the case/cooler.

https://youtube.com/@ChristopherFlannigan

Thanks for the link. :tipshat:

Now i just have to deal with the :brainworms: as i try to figure out what part of Northern Ireland he's from. :emo:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheCoach posted:

Xander being a poo poo does not change ThoughtSlime cooking up the sex cult crap though...
Either way this is one of those conversations that is no longer possible, if you take either stance the other side will suddenly assign a laundry list of garbage to you and it'll never end.

At least none of this matters because all these people are complete nobodies with no power to really change anything, so the internet leftie slapfights can largely be ignored for the sake of sanity.

I mean, Vaush has enough pull to bully smaller content creators off of the internet, and I wouldn’t call 500k subs nothing in the breadtube space. It’s enough to fundraise a decent chunk of change for political causes, etc.

Anyway I’ll make it easy for you: the side calling black content creators and even academics “black Nazis” and “ethnonationalists, who aren’t any different from Nazis” because they don’t believe in shedding token tears for the innocent white European civilians killed in the crossfire of the Haitian Revolution or Rhodesia or Algeria are the ones in the wrong here.

The content creators who slid into Kat Blaque’s dms to tell her that she “must have a fetish for white dick” are the baddies.

That they happen to also be NATO hyper-shills who believe that anything less than supporting giving Ukraine nukes makes one a tankie is icing.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 12, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know any of the people involved but for the record we should absolutely give Ukraine nukes.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Take this poo poo to the politics forums or shut the gently caress up please

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, sorry, I have to agree with the dude doing the backseat modding. I don't follow this thread too closely, but I imagine most people aren't here for who is the worst breadtuber or who isn't using the word tankie correctly.

But thanks for all the recommendations on PC building videos!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, sorry, I have to agree with the dude doing the backseat modding. I don't follow this thread too closely, but I imagine most people aren't here for who is the worst breadtuber or who isn't using the word tankie correctly.

But thanks for all the recommendations on PC building videos!
Is it okay to mention that we have a thread for it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yeah buddy, thank you

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Counterpoint: I installed a Firefox addon that allows me to whitelist my favourite channels to serve me ads
Edit: this one https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/youtube-channel-whitelist/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was watching a pretty cool video about the rise of Nortel Networks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6xwMIUPHss) and the creator posts on Nebula so I thought about checking it out and potentially subscribing.

I click on the "Culture" tab and see that one of the creators on there is JJ McCullough. Oh dear, no. No thank you. *closes nebula tab forever*

How the gently caress does that guy worm his way into media everywhere?!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Vancouver has this really bad habit of exporting things to the rest of the world so they don't get bottled up here. One of those cases of "we had to experience this curse, so the rest of you do too".

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i have no idea who jj is, what's wrong with that guy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

JJ McCullough is a reactionary that tries to make his point through otherwise competently-drawn political cartoons

here's one example of this person's opinions:

(I have no interest in litigating such opinions per se but someone asked and I am answering the question)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

he’s a Canadian gay conservative/lolbertarian (tho he’s gotten a lot better, from what I’ve heard) who cut his teeth making “debunking liberal arguments about x and y” videos aimed at a more general audience than your average chudtuber.

I dunno how much his ongoing success with a younger crowd is due to him moderating/camouflaging his positions and/or the fact that his particular politics were still largely to the left of a lot of US “centrists”. I haven’t watched him in a while but I’ve seen him pop up and guest on channels recently that I don’t think are conservative at all.

AFAIK he doesn’t like cultivate a reactionary audience so much as he makes Nebula Nerd-style content with his own particular takes. I assume he’s a Nebula/Curiosity Stream “partner” for the same reason that a lot of creators are: he has a seven figure subscriber count. He’s very media savvy, IIRC he used to work in television. Somebody here once mentioned that he briefly hosted a show on a failed conservative network in Canadaland but IDK anything about that and I’m not interested in looking it up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the phrase "vancouverite milo" just popped into my head and terrified me to my core

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

gradenko_2000 posted:

JJ McCullough is a reactionary that tries to make his point through otherwise competently-drawn political cartoons

here's one example of this person's opinions:

(I have no interest in litigating such opinions per se but someone asked and I am answering the question)

I watched his Youtube channel for a long time before I found out about this side of him, he mostly keeps this kind of stuff out of his videos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
He had frequent editorial contributions in the Washington Post where he would “explain” Canadian events and government stuff in an attempted humorous way but it was really the most reactionary poo poo and it was super annoying to see it given a platform. A real “just asking questions!!” Type shithead.

It’s annoying because there are tons of issues with the government but he always goes for the most simplistic conservative attack vectors against Trudeau specifically.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Muta had a long expose on The Completionist and his "Indieland" charity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItBdql_8FI

Yikes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Muta had a long expose on The Completionist and his "Indieland" charity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItBdql_8FI

Yikes.

I would be willing to give Jirard the benefit of the doubt, because I imagine his role was more of the "face" of the charity amd was busy with his youtube business while his dad and brother would handle the behind-the-scenes stuff, but when asked about it point blank and he said he didn't find our until 2021/2022, and began looking for a worthwhile group to donate the money to... man, you list off several charities that your foundation is supposed to support every time you do a charity drive, how about them? Or are they just good enough to namedrop but not good enough to support?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randalor posted:

I would be willing to give Jirard the benefit of the doubt, because I imagine his role was more of the "face" of the charity amd was busy with his youtube business while his dad and brother would handle the behind-the-scenes stuff, but when asked about it point blank and he said he didn't find our until 2021/2022, and began looking for a worthwhile group to donate the money to... man, you list off several charities that your foundation is supposed to support every time you do a charity drive, how about them? Or are they just good enough to namedrop but not good enough to support?

I am not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because 10 years is an unacceptably long time to be sitting on this money for no matter the circumstances. He is the face of the charity--how did he not know this was going on? And then he had around a year and a half to fix it after the supposed point he found out, and he still hasn't. His biggest priority the moment he found out should have been to move that money, but he still hasn't done poo poo, all while collecting more donations and making seemingly false claims about who your beneficiaries are. Nuh-uh. Shut this foundation down.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Any benefit of the doubt evaporated the instant he started defensively asking "what do you want me to do about it?" because like, you know what everybody wants dude, there's only one thing to do about it and it's the one thing that a charity should be doing. Either admit you hosed up and directly say you'll fix it, or plead ignorance that you don't manage the actual donations and you didn't actually know (which is hard to believe but at least possible).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The problem is that now people are saying this guy must be lying about it for clout since it's been picked up by noted piece of poo poo Karl Jobst.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dear people people who haven't realized it yet : literally everyone successful in media of any sort turns out to be a horrible person. Please stop being surprised at this. It gets tiring as all get out and this thread has become very boring.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Again no idea who these guys are, but who's spending the $11-13k a year on administration? They should know what's happening.

If money is just sitting somehwere for a decade, I wonder if he could be just skimming the interest from that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Dear people people who haven't realized it yet : literally everyone successful in media of any sort turns out to be a horrible person. Please stop being surprised at this. It gets tiring as all get out and this thread has become very boring.

big difference between being a regular media piece of poo poo and being a nazi sympathizer media piece of poo poo tho

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

If money is just sitting somehwere for a decade, I wonder if he could be just skimming the interest from that.

Not legally. If the charity is being run legally, the funds are being held in an account owned by the nonprofit org; any interest earned goes into the account and is also owned by the nonprofit org, and any disbursements from the org's assets to external entities or individuals needs to be accounted for in the org's filings.

There's pretty much no legal way to get money out of a 501c3 without it showing up in the org's filings. Recordkeeping requirements for tax-exempt entities is pretty strict.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

biznatchio posted:

Not legally. If the charity is being run legally, the funds are being held in an account owned by the nonprofit org; any interest earned goes into the account and is also owned by the nonprofit org, and any disbursements from the org's assets to external entities or individuals needs to be accounted for in the org's filings.

There's pretty much no legal way to get money out of a 501c3 without it showing up in the org's filings. Recordkeeping requirements for tax-exempt entities is pretty strict.

All their IRS filings say they're holding that money ($650k now!) as "Cash non-interest bearing" and they receive no money from interest. So is there a giant pallet of $100s in their house? Surely if you were actually keeping the money to spend later even just a 0.1% savings account would be worth it over no interest whatsoever. Or is this another thing where 501c3s have different rules and I'm just not familiar with it?

"Skimming interest" was honestly my first thought too, especially since with those expense itemizations their filings definitely don't look above board. Though the expenses are obviously shady as hell too.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Being an ineffective nonprofit is much different from a fraudulent/unlawfully acting nonprofit. It's very embarrassing for him to not have dispersed a large portion of the holding, but not illegal. Doesn't sound like self dealing or self enrichment. At best we're talking about administrative action by the IRS to lose tax exempt status.

It's why these days everyone uses Tiltify because they immediately pass the donation to the affiliated nonprofit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

njsykora posted:

The problem is that now people are saying this guy must be lying about it for clout since it's been picked up by noted piece of poo poo Karl Jobst.

I only know that name tangentially through Goldeneye speedrunning and cheating but what did he do now lmao