Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Raldikuk posted:

It makes sense to use self checkout as the "quick lane", the problem is most stores have gravitated towards funneling everyone through self checkout and having no or minimal regular checkouts open. The targets around me have shifted more and more towards this model, expanding their self checkouts and having them accommodate larger cart loads (multiple bagging stands available per checkout, a big counter to work with, stuff like that) which of course means those areas get more congested.

So what will likely happen if they follow through? People with actual cart loads will all wait in huge long lines for the human staffed checkouts while all of your groceries melt.

You can buy groceries that are not ice cream sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

it's funny how instead of letting cashiers sit like human beings during their shift they tried to just do away with them outright with self checkout kiosks

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So I was just at Best Buy to replace a TV, and holy poo poo they have cut staffing to the bone. There was maybe 3 blue shirts in the entire place, at a very busy Los Angeles location. I had to wait at least 20 minutes to buy a product I knew 100% I wanted and just needed them to go grab for me. There was at least 2 other customers near me and we all just kinda stared at each other.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do like that Sam’s Club lets you scan and purchase your stuff using the app.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jaxyon posted:

So I was just at Best Buy to replace a TV, and holy poo poo they have cut staffing to the bone. There was maybe 3 blue shirts in the entire place, at a very busy Los Angeles location. I had to wait at least 20 minutes to buy a product I knew 100% I wanted and just needed them to go grab for me. There was at least 2 other customers near me and we all just kinda stared at each other.
They pretty much expect you to order everything online and pick it up at the counter now, and not much point in maintaining a "high-service" environment when a huge TV is down to a couple hundred bucks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OneEightHundred posted:

They pretty much expect you to order everything online and pick it up at the counter now, and not much point in maintaining a "high-service" environment when a huge TV is down to a couple hundred bucks.

It was never high service, and I don't think TV prices have anything to do with it. Even low-margin departments like PC/Computer used to have like 3 employees working.

The reason is partly what you said about online pickup, and partly retail execs not wanting to pay people.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do like that Sam’s Club lets you scan and purchase your stuff using the app.

Yeah this is why I don’t switch from them to Costco. It’s so much easier with scan and go.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Bird in a Blender posted:

Some stores do. Microcenter and JoAnn Fabrics are two stores I know of that do it this way. I think most people prefer it, it just requires stores to rearrange their front checkout line, so it means it never gets done unless figured into the original construction.

Yes, I was at a Microcentre recently, and that is what they had. I have also seen such at Best Buy.

Slotducks posted:

it's funny how instead of letting cashiers sit like human beings during their shift they tried to just do away with them outright with self checkout kiosks

Making the poor zombies who work the till stand is an act of pure sadism. The only place on the US that doesn't do that is Aldi, because they are German. Of course, the reason for automated kiosks is more profits. It's always more profits and I'm tired of people being either too stupid or too big of trolls to realise that. Corporations exist entirely to make profit - full stop.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, I was at a Microcentre recently, and that is what they had. I have also seen such at Best Buy.

Making the poor zombies who work the till stand is an act of pure sadism. The only place on the US that doesn't do that is Aldi, because they are German. Of course, the reason for automated kiosks is more profits. It's always more profits and I'm tired of people being either too stupid or too big of trolls to realise that. Corporations exist entirely to make profit - full stop.
I think it's not *just* sadism: it's also this weird status thing that signals the inferiority of retail workers. Both to the people directly above them, who are typically able to sit in offices for part/most of their shift, and to customers, who are encouraged to see the employees as lessers. In both cases it encourages them to identify with the corporation rather than the workers.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The Ralphs (Kroger) I go to has stools for everybody doing checkout. It may just be a store by store thing.

Edit: they’ve also had a lot of the same people working there for several years.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Jaxyon posted:

This was my experience. I needed a USB wifi dongle, they're super common, super cheap, something that should either be on the floor like any other product or, sigh in a plastic box the cashier unlocks. No, in the back. So I wrangle one of the 3 associates to find one for me. He returns, no poo poo, with a Playstation accessory.

I just left. This is near downtown Orlando, and the only reason they're not busier is because they've made actually purchasing things from them just witheringly difficult. Went across the street to Office Depot and it was on the shelf and they even had a human cashier.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This was my experience. I needed a USB wifi dongle, they're super common, super cheap, something that should either be on the floor like any other product or, sigh in a plastic box the cashier unlocks. No, in the back. So I wrangle one of the 3 associates to find one for me. He returns, no poo poo, with a Playstation accessory.

I just left. This is near downtown Orlando, and the only reason they're not busier is because they've made actually purchasing things from them just witheringly difficult. Went across the street to Office Depot and it was on the shelf and they even had a human cashier.

Yeah, I fully admit I'm a consumerist slut, and all I want out of stores (physical, online, anything) is to make it easier for me to part with my money in exchange for something I want. I figured I was on the same side as the retailers with that, but I guess not.

EDIT: I mean, you ever been to a store where the employees know what they're talking about and will up-sell you on something you actually want? It's beautiful, it's a win-win!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

You can buy groceries that are not ice cream sandwiches.

Good point ice cream is the only thing that can spoil from sitting out too long

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I think it's not *just* sadism: it's also this weird status thing that signals the inferiority of retail workers. Both to the people directly above them, who are typically able to sit in offices for part/most of their shift, and to customers, who are encouraged to see the employees as lessers. In both cases it encourages them to identify with the corporation rather than the workers.

True. A lot of people, especially Americans, love their classism. The false cheerfulness that customer-facing workers in the US are either forced to project or genuinely do because they are too dumb to realise that they're chattel is also terrifying. I remember shopping in France very well - what a contrast. Everyone working the queues at supermarkets and such was sitting down, clearly miserable and barely acknowledged the customer - comme il se doit (as it should be).

110223_2
Nov 2, 2023
amazon.com went bankrupt in 2019 Lmao

110223_2
Nov 2, 2023
4 years beyond the grave and counting :spooky:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

110223_2 posted:

amazon.com went bankrupt in 2019 Lmao

What!?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In 2019 it made some business news when Bezos said that one day another company will happen and disrupt Amazon and Amazon will fail and go bankrupt because hey that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't remember details but IIRC it was said in light of Amazon being sued/discussion of them possibly being sued for being a monopoly around that time but hey how unfair Amazon is just a regular little firm that's just as vulnerable as any mom and pop. They didn't actually go bankrupt.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Neo Rasa posted:

In 2019 it made some business news when Bezos said that one day another company will happen and disrupt Amazon and Amazon will fail and go bankrupt because hey that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't remember details but IIRC it was said in light of Amazon being sued/discussion of them possibly being sued for being a monopoly around that time but hey how unfair Amazon is just a regular little firm that's just as vulnerable as any mom and pop. They didn't actually go bankrupt.

Note also that Bezos (appropriate that his name sounds like a devil from the Nine Hells) is no doubt in such a position that even if Amazon went bust tomorrow he would still be worth 10 figures at least.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
How does this thread feel about stores locking products down? Just got back from Home Depot where I needed a single spool of wire to fix a trailer's wiring. Should have been quick and easy, walk in, grab the wire, do a self-checkout (because this store never has human cashiers, ever), then walk out.

Nope. The wire is behind wire cage doors now. So I have to find a clerk, get them to ring the right employee who is of course half the store away from his department, then wait for this ancient crusty dude with better things to do to slowly hobble down two full aisles to unlock the cage. I could have bought the drat thing three times in just the time it took him to get to me.

I get "why" they do it (ShOpLiFtInG) but this is my local store that I used for emergencies and things I couldn't wait for. I know it pretty well. They do have a shoplifting problem, but they also always have had an employee problem where there are either none around or none for whatever department. This is also obviously the reason that shoplifting has been such a problem. Rather than correcting the actual problem, they've now made their lack of employees my problem. Oh, and the prices on wire are triple the prices online, so it's not like they're "passing on savings" or whatever dumb poo poo.

It's so frustrating and exhausting. I don't have time for this poo poo. Guess I'll be driving 7 miles to the nearest independent hardware store that's not similarly a shithole from here on out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
What they want you to do is put in a pick-up order hours in advance. It sucks so much, there's a whole class of products you can't just walk in and buy now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

What they want you to do is put in a pick-up order hours in advance. It sucks so much, there's a whole class of products you can't just walk in and buy now.

They reinvented Service Merchandise, but shittier.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

No wonder more and more people buy 10 30 packs of soda off Amazon.

I work for the postal service I saw that THIS WEEK!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

How does this thread feel about stores locking products down? Just got back from Home Depot where I needed a single spool of wire to fix a trailer's wiring. Should have been quick and easy, walk in, grab the wire, do a self-checkout (because this store never has human cashiers, ever), then walk out.

Nope. The wire is behind wire cage doors now. So I have to find a clerk, get them to ring the right employee who is of course half the store away from his department, then wait for this ancient crusty dude with better things to do to slowly hobble down two full aisles to unlock the cage. I could have bought the drat thing three times in just the time it took him to get to me.

I get "why" they do it (ShOpLiFtInG) but this is my local store that I used for emergencies and things I couldn't wait for. I know it pretty well. They do have a shoplifting problem, but they also always have had an employee problem where there are either none around or none for whatever department. This is also obviously the reason that shoplifting has been such a problem. Rather than correcting the actual problem, they've now made their lack of employees my problem. Oh, and the prices on wire are triple the prices online, so it's not like they're "passing on savings" or whatever dumb poo poo.

It's so frustrating and exhausting. I don't have time for this poo poo. Guess I'll be driving 7 miles to the nearest independent hardware store that's not similarly a shithole from here on out.

I usually visit 2-3 stores for any given shopping trip, so I'll remember if something is locked up in a certain place and just buy it at the one that's not going to waste my time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Structurally speaking, having additional staff wouldn't particularly solve the shoplifting of the products either. fwiw retailers (and, where relevant, brands) know that access restrictions really hurt sales of the product, so it's not something they do for fun or show (though of course they can be incompetent in execution).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How long before we are back to Ye Olde Timey General Store where you walk in and tell the proprietor behind the counter what products you need today so they can fetch them for you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

How long before we are back to Ye Olde Timey General Store where you walk in and tell the proprietor behind the counter what products you need today so they can fetch them for you.

More like tell the one minimum wage worker and his half broken robotic item fetcher

And even then you'll have to scan it through yourself

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Let me know when we get to everything is in a vending machine.

And half the time you make a selection, the wrong thing is in its spot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

withak posted:

That’s basically what curbside pickup is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/neilretail/status/1723467588322378136?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I’d just turn around and get that stuff elsewhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Let them eat cake freeball it."

Seriously; one of the nicest things you can do is donate socks to homeless shelters and food banks. you're loving preventing frostbite for Christ's sake.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 11, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty much everything a store has locked up I've ordered from Amazon instead, so I'm sure Amazon is looking on in glee.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

At least with electronics it makes goddamn sense; small items with high prices and large margins.
Who the gently caress is going out of business because a dude can't front the $10 for a six pack of socks and just slips it into their jacket?
It's not even a rounding error's worth of loss; it's margin of error.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The cost of locking it up probably outwieghs the actual loss in shoplifting, but god forbid someone have some clean clothes for the winter

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

The cost of locking it up probably outwieghs the actual loss in shoplifting, but god forbid someone have some clean clothes for the winter

And it all outweighs the cost of fixing the root problem. They need adequate staff in stores. They have to pay enough to do that. They won’t pay enough.

Locking up the merchandise, dramatically reducing sales, instead of just paying enough enough to just have fully staffed stores.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

And it all outweighs the cost of fixing the root problem. They need adequate staff in stores. They have to pay enough to do that. They won’t pay enough.

Locking up the merchandise, dramatically reducing sales, instead of just paying enough enough to just have fully staffed stores.

Again, it's not clear that staffing would reduce the shoplifting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even outside the whole humanitarian angle, it’s just humiliating to have to ask someone to get you underwear.

Fry’s (a Kroger grocery store, not the defunct, semi-related electronics store) has been stepping up their non-grocery sections the last few years and have a surprisingly decent clothing section. I usually do get those Longfellow socks at Target but I’ll see what Fry’s has to offer next time I need some more.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Again, it's not clear that staffing would reduce the shoplifting.

Adequate staffing would reduce the more important non shoplifting shrink sub categories (including employee theft) that’s being blamed on shoplifting.

My thesis here is that shrink they can’t attribute or don’t want to attribute to other sub categories is being attributed to shoplifting.

When they severely understaff retail things get extremely shady at locations after a couple of years. When nobody wants be there up to the head store manager crazy poo poo starts to happen.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Understaffing shrink (not enough people people to unload in a timely manner, failing to stock things properly, etc) is their fault, shoplifting is someone else's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Just left lowes with weather stripping I forgot to pay for because they made me self checkout and it had no bar or sticker for the scanner or anything.