Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

gamepass is also a good option to play for cheap

It’s just that it has weird drm and late patches, steam is faster and easier.

The company seems to be based on Lithuania, European Union. I’d think police would have shut it a long time ago if the operation was illegal, or they were selling illegal goods. They’re even hiring php devs.. https://jobs.eu.lever.co/eneba/de7d81b9-7f3e-4af9-829c-79023136cbda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah buy a month of gamepass to get your fill then buy it later after they patch it and add mods. Gamepass hasnt had weird drm for a while now and the last patch hit both steam and gamepass concurrently so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Have they given any timeframe for the huge asset pack that's supposed to be dropping? I could keep going on my current city but I'm already itching to restart and apply some things I learned, but would like that restart to have options for some new buildings.

Addendum to that question, will the asset pack have service buildings too? Specifically more parks, landmarks, and tourist attractions would be nice. Spending 8 development points to get exactly 4 lame tourist attractions was a real rug pull when I did it. I was kind of flabbergasted to see the options I got for 8 points.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Have they given any timeframe for the huge asset pack that's supposed to be dropping? I could keep going on my current city but I'm already itching to restart and apply some things I learned, but would like that restart to have options for some new buildings.

Addendum to that question, will the asset pack have service buildings too? Specifically more parks, landmarks, and tourist attractions would be nice. Spending 8 development points to get exactly 4 lame tourist attractions was a real rug pull when I did it. I was kind of flabbergasted to see the options I got for 8 points.

I don't think they revealed anything past the video, and I've heard something faintly like "before the end of the year", "a month or so", etc.

I'd imagine some time between now and Christmas, whenever the mod workshop drops. Probably will have service buildings, but I don't think anything's been confirmed.

edit: There'll be news on Monday with the "Word of the Week", the second one (this Monday's) had this blurb at the end:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-2.1607615/ posted:

Next week I’ll be focusing on the status of the Editor and what it will have when it’s ready for release. Check out this video to get an idea of what’s coming!

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 11, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I find that sometimes information is available but in a place I wouldn’t expect. Today I’m wondering if either of these two things are available anywhere:

Breakdown of available jobs by required education level.
Breakdown of education level of unemployed residents.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I find that sometimes information is available but in a place I wouldn’t expect. Today I’m wondering if either of these two things are available anywhere:

Breakdown of available jobs by required education level.

In the info layer options in the top left there's an option to show "Workplace Availability" in the second to last row, last column. I think this might be what you're looking for on this one?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Ihmemies posted:

It’s just that it has weird drm and late patches, steam is faster and easier.

The company seems to be based on Lithuania, European Union. I’d think police would have shut it a long time ago if the operation was illegal, or they were selling illegal goods. They’re even hiring php devs.. https://jobs.eu.lever.co/eneba/de7d81b9-7f3e-4af9-829c-79023136cbda

It's not impossible for them to be legal, but in order to sell keys cheaper than Steam they have to be getting the keys for less than they're selling at. I can definitely say from the dev side that studios don't generally reach out to these sites; money laundering would make a lot more sense here, since any suspicious key purchases on their end just result in less inventory to sell rather than chargebacks of sales.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I have like 10,000 open jobs, 4000 unemployed people, and a pretty robust public transit system with $0 tickets. Why aren't these assholes going to work? I assume there's some hard coded proximity to home thing regarding workplaces and nobody in this game is up for a commute?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Check the workplace availability statistic, as shown a few posts above. Are the open jobs low-education or high-education jobs, and does your available workforce match it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

explosivo posted:

I think this might be what you're looking for on this one?
Yeah that’s one of them. Thanks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I have like 10,000 open jobs, 4000 unemployed people, and a pretty robust public transit system with $0 tickets. Why aren't these assholes going to work? I assume there's some hard coded proximity to home thing regarding workplaces and nobody in this game is up for a commute?

Nobody wants to work anymore, the simulation is too realistic.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore, the simulation is too realistic.

people on the radio keep freaking out about crime waves and every time I check the crime stats it's like "3 crimes". not gonna build multiple police stations for a town of 4,000

Chirper and the radio are starting to give me Nextdoor vibes which is immersive and realistic :shrug:

e: also for some reason people are super sensitive to healthcare? do clinics absolutely need to be hooked up to non-pedestrian roads? seems like ambulances are buzzing around and I built two clinics, which I thought was excessive, but it didn't seem to stop the chirper messages. industry is downwind

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 11, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Much like real life, Chirpr is just people complaining about made up bullshit for the most part.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

corona familiar posted:

people on the radio keep freaking out about crime waves and every time I check the crime stats it's like "3 crimes". not gonna build multiple police stations for a town of 4,000

Chirper and the radio are starting to give me Nextdoor vibes which is immersive and realistic :shrug:

e: also for some reason people are super sensitive to healthcare? do clinics absolutely need to be hooked up to non-pedestrian roads? seems like ambulances are buzzing around and I built two clinics, which I thought was excessive, but it didn't seem to stop the chirper messages. industry is downwind

They're mad that they aren't covered by a healthcare building's happyness radius thing.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In the same vein I keep getting public service announcements about driving advisories, rolling blackouts and breaks in water service even though all roads are green and I have a huge power and water surplus.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

They're mad that they aren't covered by a healthcare building's happyness radius thing.

ah thanks. I'm playing with progression turned on (which feels like a mistake now) and dedicating an entire city block to a huge lot with parking is crazy

I wish you could put in service buildings as the ground floor for mixed use zones. I think there was a mod pack of invisible and collision free service buildings for CS1 that tried to fake that

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah except they usually are. I’ve got green lines showing everywhere except for two remote mines right next to each other. I still get those tweets every 10 seconds or so.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah the healthcare tweets seem glitched for sure

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Do parking lots even do anything? My city is nearing 100k and I haven't put down a single one. Seemingly no issues from not using them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Unbound posted:

Do parking lots even do anything? My city is nearing 100k and I haven't put down a single one. Seemingly no issues from not using them.

Probably enough street-level parking to not matter.

Also I think parking is somewhat bugged and not chosen by cims as well as they should, so stay tuned for future patch notes.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I think the only real “need” for them is if you want to extend the reach of mass transit adoption. I definitely see a spike in usership when i put a few lots next to my train station that corresponds with them filling up.

I think they could be pretty handy to filter said traffic down a side road near the station that had a short pedestrian path over the main adjacent road, so im gonna actually go test that right now.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
The patch claimed to address problems with garbage but I'm still having tons of piled up garbage complaints despite having more than adequate services. Oh and mail seems completely hosed. It just don't get moved out of sorting facilities for me?

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Ostrava posted:

The patch claimed to address problems with garbage but I'm still having tons of piled up garbage complaints despite having more than adequate services. Oh and mail seems completely hosed. It just don't get moved out of sorting facilities for me?

Someone mentioned it earlier but the patch won't fix existing "there's tons of garbage here" flags, the building has get demolished and rebuilt

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

SwissDonkey posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but the patch won't fix existing "there's tons of garbage here" flags, the building has get demolished and rebuilt

I've seen the tags in buildings I know 100% were built post patch. Such as that tower tourist building.

haruspicy
Feb 10, 2023
all i know is when you plop a parking lot right in the middle of a bunch of low density residential they all get gold stars - what sort of demented people live in my city?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Golden mod idea: independent of the actual maintenance state of the road, increase the background color from 0x202020 to 0xb0b0b0 over two years and decrease the alpha channel of the paint from 0xff to 0x1f or so over ten years since its most recent maintenance.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

haruspicy posted:

all i know is when you plop a parking lot right in the middle of a bunch of low density residential they all get gold stars - what sort of demented people live in my city?

The sort that won't park in their own driveways or garages.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Unbound posted:

most citizens don't actually go to work or to school or to stores or leave their homes in general so you don't need to worry about parking :)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

turn off the TV posted:

most citizens don't actually go to work or to school or to stores or leave their homes in general so you don't need to worry about parking :)

families like to bring their car into town when they move in and then leave it 3 miles away and never touch it again. just sell it bro.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cygni posted:

families like to bring their car into town when they move in and then leave it 3 miles away and never touch it again. just sell it bro.

This was me when I lived in D.C.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
Just hit 225k and I really wish fire trucks would respond to accidents instead of road crews. Have tons of fire stations sitting idle yet the road crews just keep going around repair roads instead of responding to the accidents. It's even worse in the winter time when they have to go out and plow snow, using up all the road maintenance trucks.

e: add to that the fact that you can't assign road maintenance trucks to districts, so they roam all over.

Posts Only Secrets fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 12, 2023

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the radio: "COMMERCIAL BUSINESS IS BOOMING!"
the RCI graph: "YOU NEED MORE COMMERCIAL!"
the commercial zones: "nobody wants to work :saddowns:"

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the radio: "COMMERCIAL BUSINESS IS BOOMING!"
the RCI graph: "YOU NEED MORE COMMERCIAL!"
the commercial zones: "nobody wants to work :saddowns:"

Seems realistic to me!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tehsid posted:

Seems realistic to me!

this game should double down on representing media. get rid of demand bars and replace them with op-ed articles in different publications lamenting the situation du jour. the articles could invent characters representing interest groups and you could implicitly support or ignore them by your actions

they could even use a local language model to randomly generate the article text! buzzwords!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

1) Everyone on Chirper is chatting poo poo 100% of the time. Whenever it seems accurate that is just the law of averages giving you a coincidence

2) People don't care about parking lots, except occasionally they'll decide they loving love one in particular because of ??? and the ???

3) I don't know if it's been proven but the thinking on healthcare is that it's often too expensive for cims to access it so they get big mad. Whilst realistic in the US, I would probably add options like state healthcare, subsidies for the poor, and/or price caps

Still wish a city builder would include things like family clinics/GP offices/dental practices/etc etc that actually serve a healthcare use.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, it's odd that commercial zones don't spring up private healthcare services. That would be something that actually makes sense as (part of) "high-density commercial". Didn't the very first Sim City game have hospitals appear in commercial zones, instead of being built by the player?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Impossible to simulate complexity like that now, that era of computer had 512k of RAM.

Now if you'll excuse me my $900 video card is taking off to fly a sortie over France, the realtime fully modeled parking lot simulation takes a lot of power

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

nielsm posted:

Didn't the very first Sim City game have hospitals appear in commercial zones, instead of being built by the player?

Residential, actually.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
I'd argue that parking lots are worse than useless. Cars will want to turn into them from the other side of the road, blocking oncoming traffic and making things worse. Even if you put a parking lot on both sides of the road they are too stupid to use the correct one for their side. I tried putting parking lot in logical spots, such as really high density areas and it just made the traffic worse than not having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wish we had better raised pedestrian walkways. In like Downtown Atlanta you can walk 10 city blocks without ever stepping foot outside because all the towers are connected via walkways.