Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

30 Days of Night?

ellie the beep posted:

is it the first Blade movie? i feel like i remember him torturing a vampire with a big chunky handheld UV spotlight

happyhippy posted:

Daybreakers?

No, it was like a normal suburban home, and I think the guy being attacked was like high school or college student age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think that show The Strain has UV weapons but I dunno about those particular scenes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That was the real life filming of Blade II

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There's a British TV show from the 90s called Ultraviolet which features police battling Vampires and using UV weaponry against them (along with garlic gas grenades). Idris Elba is in it! https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0169501/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I realized what it was. It's from the manga Gantz. Not a movie at all. Sorry.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kosmo Gallion posted:

There's a British TV show from the 90s called Ultraviolet which features police battling Vampires and using UV weaponry against them (along with garlic gas grenades). Idris Elba is in it! https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0169501/

Don't forget a US remake! Though I thought for sure I saw it when I looked it up though:

quote:

In 2000, the American Fox network developed a version of Ultraviolet, starring Eric Thal, Joanna Going and Mädchen Amick with Idris Elba reprising his role from the British series. The American version did not progress beyond an unaired pilot episode. Howard Gordon, one of the producers contracted to develop the series, said in an interview that "we screwed it up and it just didn't come out that well".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Oh, Ultraviolet was so good. Absolute crime it didn’t become a huge hit.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I never even heard of it until years after it aired and someone mentioned it on here, it's absolutely criminal how underrated it is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s peak gritty 90s UK police show, it just happens to be about vampires.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

It’s peak gritty 90s UK police show, it just happens to be about vampires.

No that's Touching Evil!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I'm pretty sure this is from a movie and not a tv show, but guy bets a woman in a bar that he can guess her name on the first try and proceeds to drone a constant string of syllables in a row, varying them based on her expressions if he's getting close, and correctly guesses it in the end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MrGreenShirt posted:

I'm pretty sure this is from a movie and not a tv show, but guy bets a woman in a bar that he can guess her name on the first try and proceeds to drone a constant string of syllables in a row, varying them based on her expressions if he's getting close, and correctly guesses it in the end.

Being John Malkovich?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMx6C31dCeo

there is a bar scene later but this is the guessing part

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 6, 2023

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Alan Smithee posted:

Being John Malkovich?

Thank you, that was it exactly! I swear, it was on the tip of my brain.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've asked in a few places and i'm increasingly worried I made the movie up.

It's a murder mystery, sort of. It's a french film from the mid to late 90s, possibly early 2000s. A girl commits suicide at the beginning. Her brother is devastated and gets depressed. The suicide's ex boyfriend asks a girl who's really into him to cheer the brother up by having sex with the brother. In return, the ex will have sex with the girl. Most of the movie is spent with the girl going through the suicide's stuff, trying to piece her life together, watching video logs she made, reading diaries, stuff like that. It was on SBS in Australia. I never saw the ending and really want to find out who did it.

Oh, they go to a lysee, one of the schools set up by Napoleon. Don't know if that will help but it's an aspect I remember.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t have an answer for you but it sounded vaguely familiar and I used to watch a lot of late night SBS movies, I tried searching and the second hit was you lol

I had never heard of the Napolean school but apparently it’s lycée, the accent probably doesn’t matter much but the c might help because searches with an s didn’t get me far… although I was searching english sites so school was probably a better choice of word.

I found False Movement 2014. I definitely haven’t seen it, the timeframe doesn’t fit and at best it’s vaguely similar.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DRINK ME posted:

I don’t have an answer for you but it sounded vaguely familiar and I used to watch a lot of late night SBS movies, I tried searching and the second hit was you lol

I had that happen with ChatGPT this week. Every 6 weeks I ask about a book I can't find, this time with the update that let's it search the internet it found my post on stackexchange asking about it as well and said go talk to the author of that post.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The main characters somehow get a look into the brain/mind of another character and it's an insane acid trip, explaining why said character behaves the way they do.

I feel like it's possibly animated, maybe there's a scene like this in South Park with Mel Gibson or Saddam Hussein.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The main characters somehow get a look into the brain/mind of another character and it's an insane acid trip, explaining why said character behaves the way they do.

I feel like it's possibly animated, maybe there's a scene like this in South Park with Mel Gibson or Saddam Hussein.

Well, there's the Green Mile, with John Coffey both seeing what's in other people's hearts and minds, but also showing it to others.

He's able to (spoilers for the movie but you all should watch it) prove his innocence and Wild Bill's guilt to Paul, and while the other guards believe him, no one can stop the execution.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Maybe Lawnmower Man? If it was surreal CGI animation

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's not the Green Mile, the tone was completely different. I don't think it was Lawnmower Man either because I haven't seen that since I was a kid and this feels more recent. I will double check to make sure.

I'm possibly thinking of an episode of Rick and Morty or American Dad.

It's not this either but good guess.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Could it have been a comic?
Batman goes into Joker's mind at some point during Morrison's 90s Justice League.
Martian Manhunter then "fixes" his brain, crazy environment normalizes, Batman freaks out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Possibly The Congress?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Congress_(2013_film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHBl43lMJY0

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Probably not either, but the eighties movies Dreamscape and Brainstorm may have scenes like this.

Also, Meet the Pyro.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Virtuosity sounds like a solid possibility. The villain Russell Crowe is made up of a hilariously silly number history's worst dudes and it's got late 90s CGI to feel animated too.

38m50s or so is one example and I think there's one more visualization at some other point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qen1sQf7g5A

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 13, 2023

A Maze of Clouds
Sep 15, 2022

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kind of happens in The Cell https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209958/ but the tone seems wrong, more serious/horror.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Could it be the video game Psychonauts?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Kosmo Gallion posted:

This happens in the Harley Quinn cartoon, possibly more than once.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A stretch but there was the frank’s pov episode of iasip

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

One that came up today...

1980s type movie. Military/FBI/Government rolls in on suburban town and sets up a mobile command center. Specifically stabilizers come out of the command post at a right angle and people run up with bolt guns to bolt them into the concrete.

I feel it's something like ET, or The Manhattan Project something like that, but couldn't find it in quick searches.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Super 8 is set in the 80s and has the army taking over a town iirc.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Might be the Blob remake, or maybe Phantoms. It's definitely familiar, though I might be confusing it with Die Hard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Strange Days?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

American Dad does this a couple of times. Stan going into Roger's brain is pretty wild.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Antman 2 or 3?

Pacific Rim?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Hughlander posted:

1980s type movie. Military/FBI/Government rolls in on suburban town and sets up a mobile command center. Specifically stabilizers come out of the command post at a right angle and people run up with bolt guns to bolt them into the concrete.

I feel it's something like ET, or The Manhattan Project something like that, but couldn't find it in quick searches.

Maybe Outbreak?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Maybe something from the game Psychonauts? tbh there are kind of a ton of scenes like this

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hughlander posted:

The D+ series Wandavision has a bit like that. Military special forces come in and cordon off a small town with heavy equipment and set up shop pretty quickly.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can't find the clip.but I'm 90% sure it's The Blob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think you had the right idea from the beginning, this sounds like Cartman in South Park S4E13, "Helen Keller! The Musical":

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/gt3p68/south-park-in-cartman-s-mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL02_RvqJ8E

Crackmaster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 15, 2023