Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks really stands out historically for its variety and creativity.

I love the painting, it's one of those pictures that just tells a story without any context needed, and if you do have it it's especially fun particularly considering the likelihood that the monk-ish guy writing the letter with the quietly amused expression is probably one of the only people in it who is actually literate.

It gets even more fun when you learn that one of the model (the bald man facing away) didn't want to be a part of the painting so Repin sketched him in secret. When the unwilling model, Georgi Alekseyev, realized he was part of the painting it was too late because it had become part of the imperial collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of historical insults:
https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1710273788384833584

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Some real bangers here. "Slave of a dead god" is incredible.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I think I got called some of this stuff by NPCs in Morrowind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you ever get to see the painting irl, in the Saint Petersburg art museum, it’s shockingly small. A much more fun Mona Lisa.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks really stands out historically for its variety and creativity.

I love the painting, it's one of those pictures that just tells a story without any context needed, and if you do have it it's especially fun particularly considering the likelihood that the monk-ish guy writing the letter with the quietly amused expression is probably one of the only people in it who is actually literate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

(It's important to note that, so far as I'm aware, we have no recordings of the actual contents of the messages the two sides exchanged)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

(It's important to note that, so far as I'm aware, we have no recordings of the actual contents of the messages the two sides exchanged)

This is amazing. Matt Berry can look mildly offended like nobody on earth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"A dog? A barrel? Ridiculous!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Needs a login to Reddit and I'm not a paedophile or a nazi, so I don't have one.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Glandes Perusinae

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They REALLY thought sling bullets going up asses was funny, huh?

...because they're right. The Wisdom of the Ancients.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Needs a login to Reddit and I'm not a paedophile or a nazi, so I don't have one.

If reddit ever asks you to login you can change the domain to old.reddit.com to bypass it using the classic interface.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Dear British people, is there a reason, other than tradition, why your MPs speak to each other in Parliament using odd conventions that make the debate somewhat harder for laymen to understand?

It is apparently forbidden to say another MP’s name, they always gotta be referred to only by their job position or what district they represent instead.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Nov 6, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's traditional, it's called parliamentary language, and it's dumb.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Nov 6, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sucrose posted:

Dear British people, is there a reason, other than tradition, why your MPs speak to each other in Parliament using odd conventions that make the debate somewhat harder for laymen to understand?

It is apparently forbidden to say another MP’s name, they always gotta be referred to only by their job position or what district they represent instead.

It's supposed to calm things down and remove the temptation to just say 'You're a loving liar, you liar' all the time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You should allow them to just punch and/or kiss each other instead

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Philippe posted:

You should allow them to just punch and/or kiss each other instead

They only punch and kiss children in ol blighty unfortunately.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's like hearing a bunch of the most talentless people try to speak in a Wodehosian style and it is infuriating. It is one of the (many) reasons I say 'come back Robespierre, all is forgiven'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gough Whitlam posted:

Sir Winton Turnbull, a member of the cavalleria rusticana, was raving and ranting on the adjournment and shouted: “I am a Country member”. I interjected “I remember”. He could not understand why, for the first time in all the years he had been speaking in the House, there was instant and loud applause from both sides.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not even getting into the ceremonial mace, the ceremonial bag full of fleece, and the ceremonial spacing between the benches being longer than a sword's length so that any sword fights in parliament can at least be on an even field.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

An event from 2009 counts as a historical fun fact, right?

https://youtu.be/YD-xxoQwOo4?si=EFeDQ7JaXd4FKGT4

"That is most unparliamentary."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sucrose posted:

In parliament in the Netherlands, it's perfectly fine to say another MP's name, but it's not allowed to address them directly. This is indeed supposed to prevent direct access.

Instead you address the chairman as such: "Madam chairman*, I believe mr. Jones is talking out of his rear end".

* The Dutch word for chairman is non-gendered.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

* The Dutch word for chairman is non-gendered.

Good: “chaircomrade”

Evil: “chairpony”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

M'chair

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Doesn't the US do this too with like "the congressman from Navel, Idaho"

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

An event from 2009 counts as a historical fun fact, right?

https://youtu.be/YD-xxoQwOo4?si=EFeDQ7JaXd4FKGT4

"That is most unparliamentary."

A classic.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I wonder when people started referring to countries as “they” or “it” instead of “she.”

Whenever it was, it wasn’t soon enough.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you know of any better way of conveying "My country is sexy as hell with great big knockers" im eager to hear it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are you doing, steppe-motherland?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Very cursed exchange, bravo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As I understand it, this is actually a story about Doug Anthony. Who was Deputy PM for a time. The guy the Doug Anthony All Stars took their name from.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Beach Boys' song The Warmth of the Sun was inspired by JFK's assassination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDm_flnwxc

How much inspired isn't wholly sure. Brian Wilson and Mike Love have different stories about when exactly the song was begun. News about Kennedy's death got them back together that night, however, to all but finish the writing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zwarte Piet and Schwarzer Peter, despite translating to the same thing, are actually different from one another. The former is the racist Dutch character we all 'enjoy'. The latter is an old card game that effectively works like a precursor to Old Maid, and is apparently named after a German bandit of the same moniker.

Of course, it being an old European game, and involving the same word 'Black' in it somehow meant that there were inevitable racist adaptations of the game. But apparently, originally, it wasn't.

Zwarte Piet still loving sucks for obvious, racist reasons.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Samovar posted:

Zwarte Piet and Schwarzer Peter, despite translating to the same thing, are actually different from one another. The former is the racist Dutch character we all 'enjoy'. The latter is an old card game that effectively works like a precursor to Old Maid, and is apparently named after a German bandit of the same moniker.

Of course, it being an old European game, and involving the same word 'Black' in it somehow meant that there were inevitable racist adaptations of the game. But apparently, originally, it wasn't.

In the card game we played as kids, the Schwarze Peter was a chimney sweep.
Also, in Germany Santa's companion is Knecht Ruprecht, who is just a normal white guy.

(Kaspar, the third of the Three Kings, is usually played by a kid in blackface in nativity plays and when the Sternsinger do their rounds.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zopotantor posted:

In the card game we played as kids, the Schwarze Peter was a chimney sweep.
Also, in Germany Santa's companion is Knecht Ruprecht, who is just a normal white guy.

(Kaspar, the third of the Three Kings, is usually played by a kid in blackface in nativity plays and when the Sternsinger do their rounds.)

Kaspar (and many variants) is shown as black in a lot of old art around Europe. He’s held to be somewhere from Persia or northern India which apparently meant “idk a black guy?” in 1583.

Could maybe find a real black kid in Germany these days

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Could maybe find a real black kid in Germany these days
I don't think that would work well here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wipfmetz posted:

I don't think that would work well here.

Why not?

(I don't like tiernaboys because they try to bring Christ into Yule.)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Is yesterday considered history? Kissinger is dead, and that is indeed my favorite.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kissinger is now history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Let's actually contextualize this with some recent history:

Since 2018, the televised version of the parade doesn't feature blackface anymore. This was a big moment, because many kids watch the televised thing, and to keep a consistent story, local events often follow their lead.

In 2020, for the first time the amount of people who said moving away from blackface is fine was more than half, in a representative poll. However, the percentage of people in favour of keeping blackface (in the range of 35-39%) hasn't dropped further since then.

The organisation that fights against blackface has since then continued their protests in every city that still does blackface. They tend to be peaceful, but especially in very conservative places, these protests tend to draw out truly violent racists, who throw rocks and eggs at them or try to hit them with cars. Last year (2022), when this happened, the police, who was "overwhelmed" fled the scene and didn't protect the protestors at all.

However, some good seems to have come from this, because this year many municipal governments in places that still did blackface refused to organizationally and financially support the parades out of fear of "harming the public safety". See, they can't ban protests because those are constitutionally protected, but they can refuse to help organize a parade. A bunch of those places didn't do a parade at all because the very conservative organizers refused to do an inclusive one at all.
Some others apparently did a "secret" blackface parade in some suburb or industrial area of the city, without any city funding, and only informing locals the day before with flyers, so that the protestors couldn't get there in time.

In summary, every year since the protests began in full, blackface in the Netherlands has being pushed further into the fringes of society. It probably won't disappear completely anytime soon but people are much less likely to run into it now.
However, sadly there's still a sizable chunk of the population who want to keep blackface. That, combined with the fact that the far right anti-immigration party won the elections last week, makes it hard to predict how this topic will evolve.

Of course, by now, a whole generation of kids has grown up really only knowing the non-blackface Pete, so they don't have an "old tradition to protect", which is why I'm somewhat hopeful that as more boomers die and the new generation grows up, blackface becomes a thing of the past.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Nov 30, 2023