Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Listening to the 2nd Ciaphas Cain novel as I'm painting my guards. So prometheum is just oil?

I haven't thought about this until now, but looking at this land raider

How much of imperium is rolling coal?

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lostconfused posted:

Listening to the 2nd Ciaphas Cain novel as I'm painting my guards. So prometheum is just oil?

SPACE oil tyvm

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They run on faith in the Emperor

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lostconfused posted:

Promethium basically just means hydrocarbon fuels, not always the same type in all cases. I’m not sure if it’s just a generalized term like ‘gas’ or if Imperial engines are really just robust enough to run on almost any variety without issues.

Sometimes it specifically means a particularly horrible variety something like napalm that is used in flamers, and is more deadly and volatile than regular fuels.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I like that cutaway image of the Land Raider! I am printing out an alternate Baneblade vehicle for the guard right now that has a removable top and fully modeled interior I am hoping is a lot of fun to paint and will look cool.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is that...a bathroom? Cool as hell either way

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

I am not sure, I think it is supposed to be an electronics room or some such, but I can model it as a bathroom. Maybe get a little piece of the material you laminate paper with and make a shower curtain.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I thought promethium was just super napalm, but lexicanum says that yeah it's also just generalized hydrocarbon stuff as well

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Demilich posted:

I thought promethium was just super napalm, but lexicanum says that yeah it's also just generalized hydrocarbon stuff as well

Lexicanum is citing the book I mentioned if you look at the footnotes.

As for the guards in that baneblade I think they're all operators for the turrets and weapons except for the two drivers at the front, and the one at the back manning what looks like a radar screen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

I feel like toilet inside a superheavy tank would be a bad idea.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Finally we can recreate the siege of Chateaux Galliard in 40k

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

AndyElusive posted:

Ran out of ammunition? Fire logs of poo poo at the enemy!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Chaos can have rear end cannons, so can the Imperium.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Hmmm, now I am wondering about the logistics about being in a tank for a long period of time where it may not be safe to exit the vehicle.

Now I am gonna have to bounce over the Historical thread and ask Cessna where they go while tanking around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

idk why but the absurdity of that marine box just really strikes home with me. who wants three crappy melee bikes along with 16 jump pack guys?

Not me considering it if only because i think the bikes and jump packs are cool...

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Finished my canoness

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have 3 bikes from Indomitus and 3 bikes from Imperium, and I think they are the only 3 bike poses that exist? Are there other poses? The bikes were an interesting idea, but I feel like they just didn't pan out with assault and jump and bellator squads and whatnot being able to project firepower in a mobile manner, and the bikes always kind of were in search of a place to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have 3 bikes from Indomitus and 3 bikes from Imperium, and I think they are the only 3 bike poses that exist? Are there other poses? The bikes were an interesting idea, but I feel like they just didn't pan out with assault and jump and bellator squads and whatnot being able to project firepower in a mobile manner, and the bikes always kind of were in search of a place to be.

Ya there's only 3 Outrider poses. The good thing is that it's fairly easy to kitbash and swap their heads and non handle bar holding arms with other marine kits to make them more unique.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hmmm, now I am wondering about the logistics about being in a tank for a long period of time where it may not be safe to exit the vehicle.

Now I am gonna have to bounce over the Historical thread and ask Cessna where they go while tanking around.

Abrams and Leopards don’t have them, but Challengers and Merkavas have toilet modules that can be used. The Challenger can apparently vent the refuse, while the Merkava has a chemtoilet. But they’re really basic (basically a seat adapter with a bag), there’s no privacy, and they’re not really intended for use outside of NBC situations. Otherwise, soldiers typically either repurpose a container or go outside. Older tanks often had bottom escape hatches that would get used by tankers for this sort of thing as well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

bikes have always kinda been a unit that 40K has because it has always had them, not because they made a lot of sense in this game. they're expensive ($-wise) fiddly models that don't have a particularly exciting role. recon or scouting makes no sense when you're at knife-fight range before the end of T1. fast flanking shooters made a bit of sense, but has diminished in usefulness as they became more and more mechanically similar to land speeders, vypers, buggies, etc. over time. they can't be too tough because that's what vehicles do. they've never been particularly good at melee, and who knows why. (shining spears are a bafflingly lonely exception.) so they just kinda putter around with a few bolter-grade shots and maybe a couple decent special weapons or a power fist guy. outriders don't even get that much: what the gently caress are you supposed to do with three chainsword guys that don't even do anything interesting?

so, except when they're undercosted, bikes have only really found a home in armies that stack tons of buffs or special mechanics on them (white scars, ravenwing, speed waagh) or armies with like six units to choose from in the first place (custodes, harlequins, votann).

it's not an insurmountable problem. bikes just get squeezed out when your army has fast flanking vehicles and jump pack melee and infiltrators. unfortunately, that's like half the armies in the game. it's just bloat.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Counterpoint, I built a squad of Atalan Jackals the other month and they look cool as poo poo compared to the SM cuboid lumps

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
outriders are dope af, eat my dust, vroom vrooooooooom

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

That fraying definitely just shows up because I zoomed in on the camera. :v: At a regular distance it looks fine. But funny enough I do have beeswax in the house. Although I think it might be a bit too late to fix that now, but I'll see what I can do. Or just brush on some watered down pva before I get to priming.

When you paint it the paint will act in a similar fashion and stick it down.

I wouldn't use beeswax as that's going to repel your water based acrylic paints and make it impossible to paint.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Bag everything up and add it to the main gun's load to have an extra spicy biohazard shell.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Isn't that just models with unsealed pigments on the bases?

(I have an artist friend who has, uh, words, for people who think leaving unsealed pigments on works designed to be handled and moved around is at all healthy.)

Unsealed pigments are a safe and legal thrill.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Counterpoint, I built a squad of Atalan Jackals the other month and they look cool as poo poo compared to the SM cuboid lumps

yeah they are but GSC are another army with like six units

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh poo poo i forgot gsc also has fast flanking vehicles because there has never, ever been a time where ridgerunners were simultaneously good and available for purchase anywhere

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cease to Hope posted:

idk why but the absurdity of that marine box just really strikes home with me. who wants three crappy melee bikes along with 16 jump pack guys?

I wanted the jump pack marines and the captain. the bikes and outrider are kinda free, i may or may not use them. who knows what future balance patches etc. hold?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm hoping my FLGS can nab me a SM box that I'm going to split with a friend who wants the bikes and I get the jump packers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finished my Winged Tyranid Prime, what do you think?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/12/sunday-preview-war-on-an-epic-scale-in-the-age-of-darkness/

While next week's pre-orders is all about Legion Imperialis, you can also pick up a classic Deathleaper (why tho?) and a The Red Terror on Made to Order.
No order dates given, for some reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished my Winged Tyranid Prime, what do you think?

Your going with something similar to the stock leviathan colours but adding the very bright contrasting colours in works really well. It has extragalactic space monster vibe, in a good way.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

What do you sit in while you hobby? I would think I’d want something different to an office chair given how much I am leaning forward.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

What do you sit in while you hobby? I would think I’d want something different to an office chair given how much I am leaning forward.

office chair, ideally one without casters or with locking casters. feet on the floor, adjustable seat.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Standing desk because my posture is loving awful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

regular desk chair but I have a desk that I can adjust the height on (like a standing desk) so i'm not so hunched over

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I paint while sitting back and relaxing on my couch lol.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Dining table and foot stool, bringing the table up to chest height.

I live in an apartment. :shrug:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Six outriders are a solid problem for your opponent, especially led by a biker chaplain (which is a kickass model), they're tough enough that they'll take a decent amount of firepower to wipe out. They can be really effective at turning objective-holding infantry blobs into paste, and are fast enough to be able to outflank or reposition easily. 3 on their own isn't really enough to be a big threat tho, you gotta go big or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Texmo posted:

Six outriders are a solid problem for your opponent, especially led by a biker chaplain (which is a kickass model), they're tough enough that they'll take a decent amount of firepower to wipe out. They can be really effective at turning objective-holding infantry blobs into paste, and are fast enough to be able to outflank or reposition easily. 3 on their own isn't really enough to be a big threat tho, you gotta go big or go home.

the chaplain model is good-looking (if you're into loyalist SMs) but this is not good advice. outriders are the perfect example of an SM unit that got shafted by the primaris changeover because they're now too expensive to be cheap without actually getting good at anything.

six outriders with a chaplain is 250-some points. they can reasonably be expected to bounce off going into any tough unit in their weight class and have a reasonable chance to whiff on something like 5 MEQs that popped a strat. being mounted means driving all the way around walls, wasting a good chunk of their base mobility. marines have good base mobility as it is unless you're going ironstorm, so being fast but anemic is less useful. they're splitting their output over two phases, which isn't always bad but is kinda bad for units as anemic as these guys and units that might need to make long charges like these guys.

but the worst part: outriders are perfectly situated in the anti-sweet-spot for durability and cost. every single weapon in the game is getting good damage for effort on these guys, from lasguns to quake cannon. they're too fat to hide, not tough enough to push any shooting down to 6+ to wound, have no invuln, and even give up a pip of blast.

i do not mean to go super hard on someone's favorite unit. if you think they're cool, buy them now on sprue or in a clearance white scar christmas box from last year because they're never going to be cheaper. i just do not want people to get their expectations up for their likely performance.