Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think there's a big red button on top of those turrets that you push to shoot out a little plastic missile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lammasu posted:

Since second in line to the U.S. Presidency and young Earth creationist Mike Johnson is attending a conference in Paris are other right-wing movements in Europe as religious?

There's definitely a large throughline of "traditional values" running through many of them, which often includes saying they are christian as gently caress, largely as a cudgel against non-christian immigrants and other people they don't like and view as incompatible with the CORRECT CHRISTIAN values.

I'm not a huge expert on the topic or anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but it feels like a somewhat recent thing. For instance here in Finland our far right loonies were traditionally either anti-religion, or outright self-proclaimed satanists, probably because back in those days that was how you rebelled against the still mainstream (although not nearly to the level as in the United States) establishment, and how their idols were still literal nazis.

It would be interesting to look into how this shift in their politics came about. Undoubtedly some of it is just them aping their new idols, the American alt righters and republicans, and their paymasters, the "pro-christian" Russian government. It's kinda wild how many of them have just blatantly stolen American alt right rhetoric and talking points, and parrot them either directly, or by just replacing "the democrats" with whatever political group they don't like.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 12, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I feel like our politics in Sweden are just getting dumber every year and it's becoming more of a circus like America so it probably won't be long until we have a christian fundamentalist ruling us here as well

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

The one thing everyone should have picked up by now, after two years of this war and seeing how the Russian disinformation and propaganda system operates, is that you never should take any war-related news at face value, if its A) something that is completely out of line from the other sources and B) if it comes from source that has a connection to the Russian government.

But yes, I am the idiot for not believing one word from a journalist that used to work in Russia and cover stories about Russian government, and published an article about how Ukraine is to be blamed for something, with a completely different outcome than the government investigations of the same event.

I didn't read the article, but the Andromeda yacht/Ukraine theory is also what the German criminal investigation is mostly focusing on and AFAIK the only theory that produced physical evidence.

khwarezm posted:

Boohoo that they got the Germans to go cold turkey on their Russian gas addiction.

It didn't. Russia had already stopped gas deliveries through NS by then and the sabotage didn't even destroy all the pipelines. AFAIK Russia and Germany can still resume deliveries through the remaining NS2 line at any time, if they both want it.

Overall, I think the government and the majority of the population didn't give much of a poo poo about the pipeline explosion. A lot were even happy that it was gone since it's now considered one of the worst political mistakes in decades. If it really turns out to have been Ukraine, the fallout will probably be pretty limited.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
you're telling me that Ukraine might have sabotaged some infrastructure of the enemy that is invading them? how outrageous (???)

btw germany is set to double their aid to ukraine so i feel like they don't really mind

quote:

FRANKFURT, Nov 11 (Reuters) - German chancellor Olaf Scholz's governing coalition has agreed in principle to double the country's military aid for Ukraine next year to 8 billion euros ($8.5 billion), a political source in Berlin said on Sunday.

If approved by parliament, where Scholz's parties hold a majority, the boost would lift Germany's defence spending to 2.1% of its gross domestic product target, beyond the 2% pledged by all North Atlantic Treaty Organization members, the source added.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Right wing Euros love Christian fascism especially Russia who is the god king of it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Looks like Russia had another adventure in Avdiivka again. Similar outcome as before.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are odds the russians will bakhmut avdiivka?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Der Kyhe posted:

The one thing everyone should have picked up by now, after two years of this war and seeing how the Russian disinformation and propaganda system operates, is that you never should take any war-related news at face value, if its A) something that is completely out of line from the other sources and B) if it comes from source that has a connection to the Russian government.

But yes, I am the idiot for not believing one word from a journalist that used to work in Russia and cover stories about Russian government, and published an article about how Ukraine is to be blamed for something, with a completely different outcome than the government investigations of the same event.

I'm more referencing the fact that you've also posted multiple times about how the Hamas attack was orchestrated by Russia among other weird conspiracy theories.

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, in which case I apologize.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I blew up the pipeline. It was me.

I AM the pipeline :tutbutt::gas:

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

It's pretty insane that someone that zealously religion actually gets elected to positions of power in the late 2010s

Literal loving dark age brain

Why is it insane? The majority of Americans are religious, after all. I think it’s normal and even expected that a constituency would elect a politician that reflects their personal beliefs.

Yes, on the internet it may seem as though everyone is a rational thinking atheist like yourself, but if you were to go out and talk to people IRL, you might find a different outcome ;)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

New Perun video dropped. This is a sequel to the gamechanger systems appraisal video released three weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWVrphbHXI

In the video, Perun rates the following systems:
  • Kinzhal missiles (D, too expensive and duplicates capabilities of cheaper systems)
  • Storm Shadow/SCALP cruise missiles (A, gives Ukraine the ability to strike targets otherwise out of reach)
  • Bayraktar TB-2 (B, blew up some expensive and rare hardware in the early weeks of the war, providing great propaganda footage, but became less effective as Russian AA got their poo poo together)
  • Orlan drones (A, provides cost effective and surveillance and targeting, especially combined with Lancet loitering munitions)
  • Starlink (S, vital to Ukrainian battlefield coordinaton)
  • Russia's electronic warfare suite (S, keeps the war from becoming a free for all for drones)

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm more referencing the fact that you've also posted multiple times about how the Hamas attack was orchestrated by Russia among other weird conspiracy theories.

Unless I'm confusing you with someone else, in which case I apologize.

Sure. If you cherry-pick the stuff I have written and deliberately misunderstand things then why not.

Hamas, Iran and Russia are practically allies, or at least seem to help each other to a very large extent. Or are you saying that for example those Hamas-Russia meetings that were reported did not take place, or that Russia isn't benefiting from the global attention turning to other places than Ukraine? Because those two things I have said, and the timing for the Hamas attack that sparked to current Israel-Palestine war seems terribly convenient for also the Russian efforts in Ukraine.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Lammasu posted:

Since second in line to the U.S. Presidency and young Earth creationist Mike Johnson

Lol

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mobby_6kl posted:

I do hope Zelenskyy personally went diving and blew them up

Why not? He has his own cereal...

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

everyone in this thread letting everyone else know they have no knowledge about each other's countries while making dire predictions. sa will never die

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I don' think Russia is capable of organising what Hamas did lol. They'e paid lip service to them sure. But this IP stuff is just Palestine has had enough of having a boot on it's neck for decades.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What the civilians (now dead) thought was never relevant, but some Gulf squillionaires were very moved by the common peoples' plight

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Strategic Tea posted:

What the civilians (now dead) thought was never relevant, but some Gulf squillionaires were very moved by the common peoples' plight

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

New Perun video dropped. This is a sequel to the gamechanger systems appraisal video released three weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWVrphbHXI

In the video, Perun rates the following systems:
  • Kinzhal missiles
  • Storm Shadow/SCALP cruise missiles
  • Orlan drones
  • Starlink
  • Russia's electronic warfare suite

While I'm in agreement with Perun over Starlink and EW, I admit I'm surprised Kinzhal rated so badly- I knew the Russians were using them badly (in both the military and moral senses), but I never knew they were such a boondoggle.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

CommissarMega posted:

While I'm in agreement with Perun over Starlink and EW, I admit I'm surprised Kinzhal rated so badly- I knew the Russians were using them badly (in both the military and moral senses), but I never knew they were such a boondoggle.

I'm in the same boat with you, while I assume that nearly all of russia's acquisition is terrible, I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but russia proves us wrong all the time.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I think there's a big red button on top of those turrets that you push to shoot out a little plastic missile

One of the fun parts with the design is that the turret has basically zero protection for the cannons and atgm launchers. So even if you can't kill it with a little FPV drone hitting the top you can definitely mission kill it.

Very smart design for an urban combat vehicle.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Ukrainian way of war depends to a great degree on Stalin.

is what my defective ears insist Perun says, when talking about Starlink.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

It's worth remembering that everything said in that video applies in the context of the war in Ukraine only. The Kinzhal is built to be an aircraft carrier killer, so it's a bit pointless in this war.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's worth remembering that everything said in that video applies in the context of the war in Ukraine only. The Kinzhal is built to be an aircraft carrier killer, so it's a bit pointless in this war.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it'd suck for that as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Passive aggressive rereg guy deciding to stick around, wonder which one he is.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Unless you're putting nukes on it I'm pretty sure an unguided, air launched ballistic missile isn't gonna be a great tool for carrier killing even if it goes somewhat faster than the radar guided, merely supersonic missiles the US Navy has been designing its defenses to deal with for 40 years.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it'd suck for that as well.

I guess it's better in the sense that the high cost and low number makes using it to take out carriers a lot more reasonable than whatever Russia has been trying to do with them recently.

Of course that only matters if they can hit one. I don't know how the AA capabilities of a carrier group compares to Patriot, but at a guess it's not worse against this kind of dedicated anti-ship missile.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

And that missile's name?

Ozymandias

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Runa posted:

Passive aggressive rereg guy deciding to stick around, wonder which one he is.

Doesn't matter... Ignore Button, like Justice, is blind. :shrug:

------------

Perun always does quality work on his vids.

Those Russian Orlan drones seem to be quite effective in the current conflict, too disruptive to ignore, but troublesome to actually hunt down.

Blocking Russian access to their components will be difficult, maybe using Chinese parts would be viable in a re-engineered form would be possible that ever comes to pass.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Der Kyhe posted:

Sure. If you cherry-pick the stuff I have written and deliberately misunderstand things then why not.

Hamas, Iran and Russia are practically allies, or at least seem to help each other to a very large extent. Or are you saying that for example those Hamas-Russia meetings that were reported did not take place, or that Russia isn't benefiting from the global attention turning to other places than Ukraine? Because those two things I have said, and the timing for the Hamas attack that sparked to current Israel-Palestine war seems terribly convenient for also the Russian efforts in Ukraine.

Is it cherry-picking to quote the last thing in the thread you said on the topic? Because it was this:

Der Kyhe posted:

https://yle.fi/a/74-20054074 "Putin: West caused the war in Gaza - Russia is fighting the same enemy in Ukraine"

if this isn't a proof that the current situation in Israel wasn't planned and funded as a distraction by Russia et al. I don't know what is.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Karate Bastard posted:

What are odds the russians will bakhmut avdiivka?

It sure loving seems like the meat wave is working. The losses are horrible but the front keeps moving.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are videos of drones bombing several of the new high tech terminator tanks though :allears:

Turns out even high tech tank-stuff is pretty worthless without an airforce when you can just pelt it with drones and long range missiles

"You're terminated, fucker!" -Sarah Conner

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

Is it cherry-picking to quote the last thing in the thread you said on the topic? Because it was this:

Yes. and the newsitem was about how Russia wants to increase their military support to Hamas because they share enemies. How is that not Russia being involved in the conflict?

Did you even read the article I was referring to, when it was in the YLE newsfeed? Of course you didn't.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 12, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Ok, now kiss

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
please. get a tent.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Those Russian Orlan drones seem to be quite effective in the current conflict, too disruptive to ignore, but troublesome to actually hunt down.

Blocking Russian access to their components will be difficult, maybe using Chinese parts would be viable in a re-engineered form would be possible that ever comes to pass.

Yeah, the combination of Orlans and Lancets is no doubt a major headache for anyone planning the next Ukrainian offensive.

While it's worth trying to go after the most obvious sanctions evaders, there's always going to be someone to supply the Russians the necessary hardware. I think Zaluzhnyi's conclusion that Ukraine and its allies will have to take a page from the Russians and invest heavily in electronic countermeasures is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
ah, as there is less news we have cracked open the time honoured tradition of eating ourselves.
pepper anyone?