Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Tonight at my Pathfinder game, our Summoner died.

Her backstory was that her husband died, and she could summon his spirit as her eidolon. She died trying to kill a unicorn whose blood she was convinced would hell resurrect her husband. The party buried her, and we moved on while her player could roll up a new character.

At the end of the next combat, our new party member came in... and it was the now undead summoner, who dug herself up and caught up to the party.

"So, is your name still Fiona?"
"Fionastein, actually."
"Oh, she went back to her maiden name."

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MelvinBison posted:

Tonight at my Pathfinder game, our Summoner died.

Her backstory was that her husband died, and she could summon his spirit as her eidolon, and she died trying to kill a unicorn whose blood she was convinced would hell resurrect her husband. The party buried her, and we moved on while her player could roll up a new character.

At the end of the next combat, our new party member came in... and it was the now undead summoner, who dug herself up and caught up to the party.

"So, is your name still Fiona?"
"Fionastein, actually."
"Oh, she went back to her maiden name."

lol

"My new new character is a summoner whose eidolon is her summoner aunt whose eidolon was her dead husband."

"My new new new character is a summoner whose eidolon is his summoner cousin whose eidolon was her dead aunt whose eidolon...."

So on, ad infinitum. Just build a matryoshka doll of dead summoners out of the plane's unluckiest family.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That for some reason reminds me of the Guild Wars 1 LP that had the main characters family as spirits and I think their sister could talk to.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Played a synthesist summoner whose eidolon was the half-demon template she lost after being resurrected by Wish because outsiders can't be brought back through normal means.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Today the Lumberjack's player in our Cataclysm run in Cardinal game positioned himself on purpose to get punched into range of the exit to escape the map and accomplish the objective by a 12 foot zombie hulk as they were fighting a fighting retreat against it and other foes locked in a three way battle of unmanned drones, zombies, and themselves. He knew the attack had knockback and wouldn't kill him if he didn't hit anything solid and gambled on being boosted over the finish line by it. They shot that thing a ton, hit it with a grenade, had hacked drones shoot it, and still couldn't quite kill it.

Also their scientist is starting to mutate into a murderous supersoldier horror so eventually they'll have William Birkin but on their side.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

quote:

The daimons don’t like it when mass deaths happen. Too much paperwork in the netherworld. According to my sect of heretics, outcast from the City of the Black Gate, the best way we can serve our dark masters is to lower the number of mortal deaths to the bare minimum. We can’t solve death for good, that would threaten jobs in the daimonic bureaucracy. But if hardly anyone dies, then suddenly the wardens of the damned have very little work to do. They can play on their spellphones instead of ugh, interacting with clients

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

This is a great premise for an evil game. I always have a hard time with sustaining interest in this sort of game because I just don't like being wantonly evil. I have played New Vegas a bunch of times and I've never done more than a couple Legion quests because I just don't like being a heel. But the idea of saving lives for evil, even bureaucratic, reasons is funny.

Also, one of my close family members is a retired cop, so the pathological aversion to doing paperwork above all other concerns, usually for the worse, is true to life, at least from that angle.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
This seems like an opportune moment to recommend The Practical Guide To Evil. Pro read, lots of fun campaign and world-building ideas in there.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

This is a great premise for an evil game. I always have a hard time with sustaining interest in this sort of game because I just don't like being wantonly evil. I have played New Vegas a bunch of times and I've never done more than a couple Legion quests because I just don't like being a heel. But the idea of saving lives for evil, even bureaucratic, reasons is funny.

Also, one of my close family members is a retired cop, so the pathological aversion to doing paperwork above all other concerns, usually for the worse, is true to life, at least from that angle.

I work in a different branch of civil service, and can definitely attest that the desire for a quiet Incident Report free day seems pretty universal. Funnily enough, though, I pulled more than half of this char idea from reading the various children's fantasy series piggypacking off Rick Riordan. Theo Tan and the Iron Fan had a very entertaining portrayal of a semi-modernized Chinese underworld (Diyu), with various courts of demonic bureaucrats serving Hell Kings appointed by the Jade Emperor.

The tone of these types of stories generally throws all kinds of fantastic and potentially horrifying stuff at the heroes, but keeps things fun and generally moves pretty fast. Lots of inspiration to be mined for tabletop.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

The Lost Jewels of Éire by JC Connors: Redux!
Sky Pirates of the Caribbean! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams: PART TWO! / Bronx Cheer!
Last time, we fled New Haven on route to Argentina, hunting SKY PIRATES. If you’re wondering why New Haven is in a pulp game, it’s because the GM misread Havana.

Anyway.
Lord Simon and Devika returned, along with a new player for Dr. Winston Callahan. A veteran in my spirit of 77 games, the player brought a delightful mix of scumminess and self-importance to the good prof. We continued our schemey ways, short-circuiting or circumventing much of the adventure.

In Argentina, we visited a (fake) monastery. The module suggests the players will be ambushed and put in a death trap, with no alternative suggestions, a weakness of Paul Wiggedy-Williams's pulp adventures. If you play cleverly (and we did), you can avoid many of the best encounters!

The fake nazi told us some of what we wanted to know, then tried the “of course, you’ll never live to tell anyone! GUARDS!” routine. It was a foolish move, because he was conversing with a kid mesmerist. Devika used prolonged eye contact to defeat him, sending him screaming into his entourage. The doctor launched a clockwork fist, clobbering another SMG-toting brown shirt. Simon found the secret exit just as the “monks” regained their composure.

Soon, the trio of lovable rogues was in the treasure room. It had tons of crates stolen by the sky pirates, as well as a radio room and a piranha pit. Simon and Winston set a series of traps… Devika tried to assess what was portable enough to re-steal. She was distracted by sound from the radio room…Emily Brown, the Boston Nazi, was calling in! An enraged Devika told the blonde to wait in Beantown, because she was going to feed the nazi her shoes. Young miss Velyapur spouted other colorful threats until Simon finally pulled her away from the headset.

Simon and Winston's traps went so well that half a dozen Nazis were knocked into the piranha pit. Those reporting this to high command found the radio room rigged with dynamite. Roter Nebel im Dschungel!
---
Back in Boston, Emily and her fellow saboteurs had taken hostages in a warehouse. (It’s almost as if some angry 13-year-old tipped them off!) Once again, Callahan proved brains triumph over Braun. Simon and Devika scouted the premises with their burglary skills, while he went to a lesser university (MIT) to fabricate sleeping gas. Easy KO on all the 5th columnists.

Devika was putting tan pumps into the She-Wolf’s gob… when she made a discovery. The infiltrator had a suicide capsule! They woke Emily up, and there was a wonderful moment as the Nazi bragged about how their plans were undefeatable… Then tried to kill herself, failed, and got pumps put in her mouth. “Very childish,” said Professor Callahan. Devika thanked him for the compliment.

Because they had a chance to interrogate Emily, they discovered that the Nazis were going to kill a planeload of American economists en route to Cuba. Lord Simon provided the short circuit; why not just get all the dignitaries drunk, fake engine issues, and have them travel tomorrow? One cheap disguise as a member of the Boston Airport Authority, and we were good to go.
(For running tally, this was the third out of three combat encounters skipped in this part of the module! Technically, we also skipped an action sequence that was based on the "monks" chasing us down the hill and through a friendly village.)

More research revealed that the Nazis were using a flying airfield, the Luftschloss, to bedevil American shipping! Luckily, the group was three instead of four, so everyone was able to squeeze into one combat plane. This proved immediately useful, as our best pilot (the Prof) was able to evade prototype heat-seeking missiles by literally barnstorming, flying in one side of a barn and out the other. The missiles were less agile.

At the flying base, stealth won the day. When we got to the engine room, the ‘unorthodox’ Professor Winston noticed that gravitonic propulsion kept it aloft. The designers had prepared the base against dynamite… but not against him reversing the gravity push. Before anyone knew what was happening, we had flown off, with the base firing itself at hundreds of miles per hour toward the ocean’s floor. One quick flight through a hurricane and we were home free.

——
Bronx Cheer!
Last names can lead to last resorts.
We had some time left in the session, so I ran a mini adventure. Winston’s player had to go, so we had a brief Interlude (Devika and Simon hashing out some issues at the tailor), then we cut away to the Bronx. Gambling queen Penelope An'Te was dragging Lord Simon Alfric to the zoo.
Everything was typical, until an older Jewish couple waved her down in front of a deli called SIMONS‘.

Got to be a coincidence, right? Well, now. Turns out all this time, the ‘party leader’ was really Alfred Simons. The embarrassing reunion (‘are you still paling around with left-handed men?’) went much better when it was clear that his adopted sidekick was loaded.
It went much worse when Penny stayed for lunch and watched a member of the O’Rourke mob raid the cash register for loan repayment. Al’s global gallivanting had meant he missed a ton of time with the family, who needed kitchen repairs done and turned to local loan sharks.

Simon confronted the thug, and was told that he could repay the debt if he broke the knees of Penny An’Te, who had been riding a hot streak way too long. He privately asked Penny to lose a lot of money to the O’Rourke’s, but because her trouble aspect is heightened, she simply didn’t have the fate points to ignore a compel. (Of course, she earned double fate points all the previous times her gambling got her into trouble… but why do these double-edged swords have to be sharp on the close side?) Devika’s offer to buy the deli outright was refused, loudly. Not only were the Simons proud folk, her suggestions that they completely stop serving beef almost led to thrown plates.

Alfred investigated the loan contract, and found out that it had been issued by a mid-tier gangster, not a made man. In fact, it had been made by the burglar-raised-by-apes herself, THAZA O’ROURKE! Perhaps a gentleman thief could come up with a gentlemanly solution.

He put out his criminal feelers, and was soon ambushed while riding a horse and buggy around Central Park. Penny tried to not snort laughing as Al was verbally outfoxed by the barefoot gangster. Of course, he had a trick up his sleeve: lying. He refuted her claims of “the law of the jungle” by fabricating mob loyalties, traditions, and unspoken agreements. He had almost persuaded her…
When the police arrived on horseback. Thaza had been using her spear to emphasize her points, and New York’s finest thought it was a kidnapping.

The group fled, with Penny scaring the pursuers with gunshots remarkably close to the NYPD horses' ears.

Thaza annulled the contract. Alfred swore Devi & Penny to secrecy, so if he’s referred to as Lord Simon going forward, that’s why.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 29, 2024

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I played briefly in an evil campaign many years ago. It was no fun because the DM and other players were dipshits, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. I feel like I live in a horridly evil world and can't do a drat thing about it, and playing evil even in a cartoonish manner just upsets me even though it's the Land of Make-Believer. I can't do it in RPGs that allow it, either. Anyone here ever played evil TNO in Torment? If you can still look yourself in the mirror by the third act, you do not have a soul.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of the best campaigns I ever ran was an "evil" game, where the PCs were all members of the same thieves' guild. They were all terrible people, but they were all family so the game didn't descend into the kind of pointless back-stabbing mayhem into which so many of those kinds of games devolve. It was a ton of fun.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m currently running a side campaign with a squad of thieves running about the city causing mischief, looting, and robbing. They recently got caught up by the local assassins guild who are keeping them assassin-adjacent while directing them to hit marks that are under the protection of the thieves guild.

The PCs are patsies for the assassins and have no idea their targets are under rival guild protection. I haven’t yet decided if the assassins guild rewards them for services rendered or leaves them dangling in the breeze.

Either way it’s an “evil campaign” full of murderhobos but without descending into creepy un-fun assholishness.

But I hear you on New Vegas and any of the Bethesda games: I have a hard time playing evil threads for long. It just feels icky slaughtering entire towns and being buddy-buddy with sadists.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 25, 2023

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I maintain Evil TNO runs is probably the best written evil campaign for a video game, but at the same it is virtually unplayable for anyone who gets attached to their pixels because it shows what it's like playing someone truly vile, including grinding down someone's will to the point where he's willing to sell himself into slavery on your say so.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Robindaybird posted:

I maintain Evil TNO runs is probably the best written evil campaign for a video game, but at the same it is virtually unplayable for anyone who gets attached to their pixels because it shows what it's like playing someone truly vile, including grinding down someone's will to the point where he's willing to sell himself into slavery on your say so.

Tyranny's pretty good about it too, there aren't really many overtly Good options but you can sure try. It almost seems like you get a better outcome playing as more of a necessary evil and proving your loyalty to the dictator in the end. (and then you can play as a murderhobo too but the game sure doesn't reward you for that)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

It sure is. PS:T is one of the very, very few games that I play for story. Being evil in that game is just... appalling and it speaks to the quality of the writing and characterisation that it's that impactful. BG is very cartoony evil in the way that most evil campaigns of tabletop D&D are, and it doesn't provoke any empathy. Playing Torment as an evil Nameless will make you sell yourself into slavery and donate the money to orphans as penance for your unspeakable acts.

Reclaimer posted:

Tyranny's pretty good about it too, there aren't really many overtly Good options but you can sure try. It almost seems like you get a better outcome playing as more of a necessary evil and proving your loyalty to the dictator in the end. (and then you can play as a murderhobo too but the game sure doesn't reward you for that)

There was an LP of that that died on the vine. It's too bad, because it was shaping up to be very much a bad guy/worse guy type of scenario.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a narrow thread: You write an evil route that's too good and nobody wants to play it because it's too depressing/soul-crushing, do it poorly and people would either get bored of repetitive puppy kicking.

Really the best kind of 'evil' games is in the vein of Evil Genius where it's being a hammy as gently caress supervillain that rewards creativity but is at enough of a distance that you don't feel like a complete monster.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The best "Evil" game I've played in was a 13th Age game where the PCs were the servants of an evil overlord. Not, like, his lieutenants. Actual household servants. I was his robot librarian. The evil overlord had died and his lieutenants were descending into petty feuds and it was our job to decipher and perform the necromantic ritual to bring our Lord back before his lieutenants' in-fighting destroyed everything.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The best evil game I played just finished, a Star Wars game in which we're playing Imperial secret agents dispatched on various missions like assassinations, destabilizing neutral governments so the Empire could sweep in and assert control, intelligence gathering, and so on.

I think some things that made it work very well:
- Hitting different degrees of evil on a mission basis. Don't go all evil all the time, mix in some missions against people that do actually deserve it, like a slaver cartel.

- Don't play characters that fully lean into it. Real people are going to be conflicted about things. Even if you fully believe in what you're doing, you can take some steps that help mitigate the worst parts of it, like setting off the fire alarm to get as many civilians out of the corporate headquarters as possible before the reactor blows.

- Make sure you have people you care about. Most people, even evil people, are going to have families and friends. And try to have a game where these sorts of meaningful personal connections matter and take up a decent chunk of play time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I personally don’t like evil campaigns. Sometimes I’ll be selfish in-game when it’s a natural result of roleplaying, but because I’m a real person playing a game my own nature seeps through to the PC and I just don’t do evil stuff. I canceled an Indulge Durge playthrough for Baldur’s Gate 3 over that.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I think I've played in... two evil campaigns, and bailed out of two others when I got catpiss vibes from the group.

The first one was Pathfinder 1, about being exiles who find a place for themselves out on the frontier. I was playing a witch who was infamous for holding grudges and also cast loads of the spells tagged [Evil], which was bad optics back home. I played her as a huge nerd obsessed with building a cool dungeon to live in, who occasionally wandered off in downtime to be a capricious undercover fairytale character, putting curses on people who were vaguely rude to her and occasionally granting huge blessings to random people who seemed nice.

When a big war started, she decided to fight as dirty as possible. She unleashed monsters, magical storms, and big strategic curses on the country that decided to annex her backyard, until they grudgingly decided to get off her island. The collateral damage was horrific, but she was pretty hypocritical about it. If she actually saw the people being threatened by the magical calamities she unleashed, she'd make a token effort to help those particular people out. Completely chill with the other party members and the people who lived next to home base, unless one of those NPCs tried to backstab the party, in which case they were probably getting turned into a frog.

The other one was a combat engineer in Star Wars. This one had the party working for shady megacorporations, and my character was all about building crazy superweapons, new types of battle droid, and later on getting into radical cyborg mods. Since all of those things are evil-coded in Star Wars, I didn't need to do much else. We did a string of shadowruns mixed with pitched wargamey battles, and ended up blasting as many people with red swords as blue. A big parallel with the other evil game was that we tended to go for options that had lots of collateral damage we were aware of, but didn't personally witness. Went through hundreds of Radiation Grenades, and at one point set off a nuclear bomb as a distraction so we could steal some files from a base more easily.
EDIT: "Irradiated worlds are value-added for droids. Think how much safer our factories will be from Jedi saboteurs!" to our displeased handlers back at HQ

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 26, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The scientist in my current campaign used a boom box blasting Thriller to lead zombies into a fire tonight.

The Canadian Lumberjack from an alternate world where Canadians don't play hockey nearly got killed by a madman with a hockey stick, never having seen such a weapon before.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Night10194 posted:

The Canadian Lumberjack from an alternate world where Canadians don't play hockey nearly got killed by a madman with a hockey stick, never having seen such a weapon before.

I'm just glad you exist, my guy. The world would be poorer without your games in it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I remember either waaaaaaaaay the gently caress back in this thread, or even further back in a previous iteration of it, someone had talked about their character who was evil, but in a revenge-based sort of way. Like, they were generally chill, but if someone did anything to cross them, they'd do everything in their power to ruin that person's life utterly and completely.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

The Practical Guide to Evil posted:

“I will address this once, because I doubt you would have brought it up if you had not already been thinking it,” [the Black Knight] said. “I will not lie to you, Catherine, or deceive you.”
I was about to butt in but he raised his hand and I paused, frowning at the fact that I had actually paused.
“Not out of a sense of honor or altruism,” he continued, “but simply because it would be foolish in the long term. It’s the way these things go, you see – if I deceived to you, you would inevitably find out I did at the worst possible moment and then avenge yourself in a way that would lead to my downfall. The amount of my predecessors that died because they failed to learn that simple, easy lesson is staggering.”
If he’d tried to sell me that he would never steep so low or that the teacher-student bond was something sacred I wouldn’t have trusted a word of it, but this sort of… enlightened self-interest? Yeah, I could buy that. The more I spoke to Black the more I was beginning to understand that everything he did he thought of in terms of costs and benefits – like a bookkeeper, if bookkeepers invaded neighbouring kingdoms and put people’s heads on pikes. And wore plate. And rode undead horses. Gods, I really hope there aren’t any bookkeepers like that out there. Creation is a scary enough place as it is.

I cannot stress enough how good this drat series is, as a story; as a dissection of good/evil and relevant tropes; as a more broad examination of narrative structure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Having just finished reading two Discworld novels recently I do recognize the style there a bit and it does work.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Sky Pirates of the Caribbean! By Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams: PART TWO! / Bronx Cheer!
Death in Jersey!
Horror is in the air. Worse is in the ground.
There’s a huge bounty for anyone who can find photographic proof of the supernatural. Tacíto Uriel Velasco, attorney at law/spirit puncher, gambler Penny An’Te, and mystic orphan Devika Velyapur answered the call in the spookiest of all places: suburban New Jersey.

I think this was one of the best three-person groups in my history of RPGs. Not only did everyone have an extremely varied skill set (interrogation, investigation, and mystic observation were split among the trio), our approaches were different. Devi and Penny jockeyed for control. Tacito would play tiebreaker or suggest a more reasonable/legal course of action. Penny was the only one who could accurately assess people’s motives: Tacito was uniquely immune to magical peril. But Devi was small enough to get into cramped spaces (at one point she was able to sneak down a dumbwaiter into an otherwise inaccessible basement). Plus, she was the only one who could drive worth a damnz

Considering her ability to detect magic, Devi thought this was gonna be an easy case. They’d finish it in an afternoon and she could head into the city and finish her Cleopatra costume with the real gold accents. Unfortunately, the case ended up somewhat complicated.

First, there were multiple historic tragedies in town. Initial research unveiled both a grisly quadruple murder and an abandoned house with a decades-long history of ‘dysentery’ victims. Groundwater investigation made us believe these were poisonings. Second, local colleges sent students after the bounty.

At the quadruple murder house (newly renovated), there were a few points of interest: a spooky spirit in the basement, an unbreakable lock leading to the basement, and most importantly, two golden retrievers, Goldie and Penelope.

” Penny, the dog has your name!” yelled Devika. Throughout the rest of the adventure, she would refer to the gambler as “Penny the human.”

The adventure continued, with numerous twists and turns (like a friendly and photographable Jersey Devil). Then, near the pine barrens, we found the alleged serial killer’s pumpkin patch. The gambler and lawyer almost fell prey to magical mental assault, until we found the boss pumpkin and set him up for Tacito. He hit a bruja-powered Shoryuken, his fist cooking the pumpkin guts before they hit the ground.

One downside of adventuring with your lawyer is that you can’t use arson to solve your problems. Eventually, the group uncovered the true history of the town (rejected loner framed for murder, comes back as an evil spirit, and commits revenge killings), and learned that photographs of a Jersey devil aren’t proof of paranormal activities.

Oh well, there was still time to get over to Mexico for Day of the Dead!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 29, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

photographs of a Jersey devil aren’t proof of paranormal activities.

What does it take to get some recognition? Maybe the group should bring el chupacabra in alive just to make sure.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
We used a combination of deception, subterfuge, and overwhelming force to put down a crazed future version of a party member who had been stuck in a time vortex.

The first thing the character (whose alt-future self we just killed) does is cast "Multiply Food" on the body to make 10x the amount of meat, and then start packing it for storage.

:stare: doesn't convey the sheer "WTF" of that decision, a sentiment shared both in- and out-of-character.

No, they would not explain their reasons.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FreshFeesh posted:

We used a combination of deception, subterfuge, and overwhelming force to put down a crazed future version of a party member who had been stuck in a time vortex.

The first thing the character (whose alt-future self we just killed) does is cast "Multiply Food" on the body to make 10x the amount of meat, and then start packing it for storage.

:stare: doesn't convey the sheer "WTF" of that decision, a sentiment shared both in- and out-of-character.

:stare: w-what could this even be used for? I don't know Shadowrun very well, but is it possible to make a bunch of clones or fleshgolem-typed deals using that flesh?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Major Isoor posted:

:stare: w-what could this even be used for? I don't know Shadowrun very well, but is it possible to make a bunch of clones or fleshgolem-typed deals using that flesh?

Anything that feeds on flesh will need essence bearing flesh to get anything out of it long term. Magically created material won't have essence, it needs to come from a real person.

But it will cover some dietary needs of ghouls in the short term.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FreshFeesh posted:

"it's fine. don't worry about it"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Death in Jersey!
Never Forget to Die! by J.C Connors
Spycraft isn’t for everyone.
This was an espionage mission, and the players believed four big lies.

First, their mission was given by Mary Willard, a formerly hypnotized spy. The benefits of the mission were unclear ("I'll owe you"), and there were certain irregularities. (The players’ watches stopped whenever she was around, which was a symptom of her silent Zolotznie bodyguard. The players faced them in "Science City Saga" and "The Oddessa Job".)

The team's investigation skills were adequate: the group was a returning Maude Brown (claiming she was 'accidentally on holiday' from her secret Roman city), Lala, Penny, Maude's former Butler Aldous, and reporter Oksana Larsson. They were on a quest to discover the creator of a memory loss drug, someone named Nachtnebel.

But when they sought Werner Nachtnebel in Montenegro, they found only his estranged wife Celia. They discovered that she was massively delinquent in her gambling debts, and rescued her from a gang of local toughs who were hired to throw a scare into her. And despite a high-speed chase down a twisty mountain road that ended with Lala cracking the windshield of an enemy car with the back of her motorcycle… They only asked her three questions.

That was the second lie, but she didn’t even have to say it. Despite the party being four women and one of their butler, they still assumed that the Nachtnebel they were hunting was Werner. They didn’t put a tracking device on her car; they would regret that later.

The third and fourth lie were the same one told by two different people. The KGB planned to kidnap Werner in a high stakes, espionagey-way. Werner’s girlfriend had a brother who was a championship ski jumper. The KGB spiked his drink with a muscle relaxant, and after he crashed, planned to take the three of them “to the hospital”. I had to remind the players, as the KGB’s plan succeeded in plain view, “Hey, you’re letting someone else leave with the person you’re here to extract!”

I had to bring up this point again, after the players got into a cool snowmobile chase and defeated the Russians. They interrogated the wrong Nachtnebel, learned of Celia's deception, and were willing to let Mary extract the “useless one”. Until they wisely pulled a gun on her. She dropped a smoke bomb and fled.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 29, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

And you're sure your party killed the right guy?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
*Jessica by The Allman Brothers begins to play*

Tonight, we stop the Lich King from becoming a god...

... we parlay with Tiamat, the Lady of The Rainbow Scales, the Mistress of Wyrms, the Empress of Eternity, the Many Headed Mother, the Sovereign of the Tananim, the Calamity Made Flesh...

... and we interfere with infernal tax agents collecting from her treasure horde without representation.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

CobiWann posted:

... and we interfere with infernal tax agents collecting from her treasure horde without representation.

Oh, don't be like that, you have to give the devils their due

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

the_steve posted:

I remember either waaaaaaaaay the gently caress back in this thread, or even further back in a previous iteration of it, someone had talked about their character who was evil, but in a revenge-based sort of way. Like, they were generally chill, but if someone did anything to cross them, they'd do everything in their power to ruin that person's life utterly and completely.

This was my campaign and I wrote about it in storybook form over a long series of posts rather than talking about it.

The character was the son of a tribal chieftain. The chieftain was murdered and the PC was betrayed and sold into slavery by his “best friend” so his mom could take over.

The character was later bought by a master who recognized his latent magic ability and an adventuring career began, but he never forgot from whence he came, eventually becoming powerful enough to return to his village, call lighting down to slaughter half of them, then reanimating the dead as undead to murder the other half. He then turned the air into salt, destroying the land with a thunderclap of imploding air for hundreds of yards in all directions before leaving the undead as a permanent “guard” for the area.

He then went back to the tower of magic and murdered his one-time mentor for dealing in slavery.

But then he went back and saved the world from the attempted ascension of an evil demigod. So it balances out I guess…?

gently caress that campaign was awesome. Some of my best work, I think.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Agrikk posted:

This was my campaign and I wrote about it in storybook form over a long series of posts rather than talking about it.

The character was the son of a tribal chieftain. The chieftain was murdered and the PC was betrayed and sold into slavery by his “best friend” so his mom could take over.

The character was later bought by a master who recognized his latent magic ability and an adventuring career began, but he never forgot from whence he came, eventually becoming powerful enough to return to his village, call lighting down to slaughter half of them, then reanimating the dead as undead to murder the other half. He then turned the air into salt, destroying the land with a thunderclap of imploding air for hundreds of yards in all directions before leaving the undead as a permanent “guard” for the area.

He then went back to the tower of magic and murdered his one-time mentor for dealing in slavery.

But then he went back and saved the world from the attempted ascension of an evil demigod. So it balances out I guess…?

gently caress that campaign was awesome. Some of my best work, I think.

Oh yeah, I followed that story with great interest, loved every bit of it, but no, the post I'm referencing predates that story by a number of years.

Hell, it's not even the first time I've mentioned it in this thread, if you look at my post history in here, lol.

the_steve posted:

I think it was in the previous thread, back when Good and Cat-piss were separate threads, someone mentioned an evil character concept I liked:

The character was a decent person, friendly, helpful, but if you wronged him, he would do everything he could to utterly destroy you, even if it were a trivial thing that was done to him.

Which doesn't sound as good when I type it, but I remember the original post being better worded about it.

JFC, I repeat myself a lot in these threads.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, our party and their dice rolls may not be sponsored by Draft Kings or FanDuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Raid Shadow Legends got to your DM first.