Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

One thing that confuses me about the most recent campaign is the injury stuff

I feel like the players wracked up injuries constantly and then it just kind of.. never did anything

I'm assuming that they just completely ignored that system?

They ignored it huge style lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Injuries are supposed to reduce the number of dice you roll. If you accumulate multiple injuries in a tier, then the next injury becomes more severe, potentially leading to death.

Which is to say I think they ignored injuries. But it didn't matter that much because downtime could have been spent 100% on curing injuries and it would have had little effect on anything else they were doing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hey with both the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes over, that means there's no excuse for them not to do Death Blart this year, right?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpacePig posted:

Hey with both the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes over, that means there's no excuse for them not to do Death Blart this year, right?

It would seem so

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SpacePig posted:

They can never escape

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
SAG-AFTRA and WGA will always make an exception for Death Blart.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

NieR Occomata posted:

And again, like I said before, that’s loving fine. You want to make a radio play, then do it. Seriously, if that’s what the McElroys want to do, then they should do it, but I think you and I both know they can’t hack it as “real” storytellers of actual, authored narratives considering how often they trip over the low as hell bar that is AP storytelling, so instead pretend that it’s all just a game, ha-ha, while both playing the game terribly and telling bad stories. It’s this horseshit disingenuous framing of what they’re actually doing that is the central problem, while both putting out a bad product and putting on a bad showcase of the game that is supposed to be on display in their actual play podcast. And it’s made all the worse by any number of infinitely superior, better played, funnier, and more engaging AP podcasts that are put out by people without the last name McElroy who aren’t as successful because they do not have the last name of McElroy.

I don't listen to TaZ tbh, for mostly those exact reasons and because I don't waste my time listening to/complaining about stuff I don't like, I was just poking fun at you calling it a "serious charge" like your prosecuting them for podcasting crimes. Then you posted this proper mad screed in response.

I think you're putting a lot of your feelings/expectations into what they're doing though? Like I don't think they really front with what they're doing or say anything like "we're amazing at this thing" or present it as being a good showcase of the game systems, in nearly anything they do, they just do what they want to do/find interesting and then if enough people like it then cool. Clearly TAZ works for some, possibly less and less overtime, it certainly doesn't seem as all encompassing as it did in it's early years to me but then I pay less attention to the McElroys and podcasts in general than I did then.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 9, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

SAG-AFTRA and WGA will always make an exception for Death Blart.

I would have liked to see them try getting a formal exception. I want to read their justification for needing to talk about Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 for the 9th time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Reason for exception: ill-advised blood oath, to be passed on to Remy Batt five-fold if not fulfilled

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

One thing that confuses me about the most recent campaign is the injury stuff

I feel like the players wracked up injuries constantly and then it just kind of.. never did anything

I'm assuming that they just completely ignored that system?

I think they borrowed a house rule at the start that made injuries easier to treat, and then promptly winged it from that point on lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

it’s a tempting house rule because injuries are meant to be time consuming to treat and debilitating to not treat but, that’s kind of the point

blades in the dark gets increasingly weighted towards the player’s side the longer it goes, that’s why you’re supposed to absolutely put them through the wringer so they’re half-dead by the time they get there

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
It's maybe one thing Blades doesn't explain too well, that some consequences are significantly worse than others and the GM should use this to moderate the tone they're going for. I'm perfectly fine with the house rule and will probably steal it myself for a more fun adventure campaign instead of a grim and gritty one.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Brian Posehn's Nerd Poker.

DM comes up with an insane quantity of great content so that nothing is ever on rails.

PCs can and do fail and gently caress up, and almost every encounter is challenging.

all working comedians and IRL friends so it's fun and funny.

no Calvinball. (I don't care about this one, but they follow the rules.)

of the podcasts I listen to it has the closest vibe to early Balance.

I started early this year with the 2017 reboot.

e: 5e

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 10, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So they’re getting Kevin James in one year, right? That seems like a thing that should probably happen.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Listen to Dragon Friends if you want people not really understanding the system but also making stupid decisions and getting punished for them. There's a whole episode where they divert from the story to help put out a fire, and they almost TPK because of decisions made up to and during that episode.

I haven’t listened to TaZ since balance so i wont weigh in on its quality, but I will always take an opportunity to second this and stump for dragon friends. The cast have gone on to become Moderately Big Deals in Australian Media, and it’s been great seeing their careers progress alongside the monthly-ish bullying and dick joke dnd hour. Also Tom Cardy’s there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rude Tales, btich

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Warbird posted:

Rude Tales, btich

honestly, this

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Branson Reese during a Rude Tales stream: "Hold on... let me check the Dungeon Master's Guide to see if you can do that."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Just keep in mind, you will like Stirfry eventually, I promise.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

man I need to pick Rude Tales back up, what a great show

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's the one I keep telling myself I'll pick up when I'm finally in a state where I don't have enough audio-video content to consume (so never, but the thought is still there)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I've given Rude Tales a few tries, but just can never keep my interest. I don't like the characters. Great voice acting though, top notch.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Just keep in mind, you will like Stirfry eventually, I promise.

Was I supposed to hate him going in?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skulltenders is also fun

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sankara posted:

I've given Rude Tales a few tries, but just can never keep my interest. I don't like the characters. Great voice acting though, top notch.

my version of this is that I can't do Critical Role bc everybody sounds like that time Calculon says "ACTING TALENT"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

my version of this is that I can't do Critical Role bc everybody sounds like that time Calculon says "ACTING TALENT"

Not coming off as cringy acting/performing and at least pretend you know the rules are the two criteria that I have for any D&D media. I really like how CR does combat but story is like watching paint discuss with itself if it wants to dry.

As for Steeplechase, I think there is an edited down version that is about half the length that could probably be their best campaign.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 11, 2023

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
One thing that I think makes Dragon Friends good is that it's live, and done by comedians used to performing live, so they know how to keep things moving. It comes off more like long-form improv using D&D as set dressing. Including having a separate guy from the DM voicing NPCs so that the actual DM has time to make important decisions.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I only listened to a dozen or so episodes during quarantine (though I keep meaning to go back) but Fun City, a shadowrun podcast, does something similar and it works pretty well. There's the main DM handling the bigger picture stuff and a co-dm doing more atmospheric stuff and handling npcs, etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Was I supposed to hate him going in?

Why would you hate the best character that isn’t voiced by a mad man (read: Branson)? They’re wrapping up this campaign next episode so you can get a “complete” experience if you start now.

And yeah, Skulltenders has promise and just started. The talent includes SA’s own Voidburger is that’s something that interests you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s an entertainment product that (ostensibly) has rules. It is serious. It’d be akin to being a fan of an NFL team where the QB doesn’t know that you can’t throw a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage (aka, being a Jets fan). But to complete the analogy, it’d be like watching Zach Wilson huck a bajillion interceptions and bad passes into triple coverage all loving game and the refs swooped in at the end of the fourth quarter to give them the win every time and they’re 8-0 instead of what they actually are right now, 4-4. It would not only make the Jets fradulent as hell, but it’d make the product as a whole worse because nothing actually matters, the zebras are gonna swoop in and give them the win regardless. This is currently where TAZ is, because they refuse to stop repeating the lie that it is a game based off a ttrpg system as opposed to what it actually is, which is a radio play with dice rolling sfx added in to the background.

And again, like I said before, that’s loving fine. You want to make a radio play, then do it. Seriously, if that’s what the McElroys want to do, then they should do it, but I think you and I both know they can’t hack it as “real” storytellers of actual, authored narratives considering how often they trip over the low as hell bar that is AP storytelling, so instead pretend that it’s all just a game, ha-ha, while both playing the game terribly and telling bad stories. It’s this horseshit disingenuous framing of what they’re actually doing that is the central problem, while both putting out a bad product and putting on a bad showcase of the game that is supposed to be on display in their actual play podcast. And it’s made all the worse by any number of infinitely superior, better played, funnier, and more engaging AP podcasts that are put out by people without the last name McElroy who aren’t as successful because they do not have the last name of McElroy.

lmao

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s an entertainment product that (ostensibly) has rules. It is serious. It’d be akin to being a fan of an NFL team where the QB doesn’t know that you can’t throw a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage (aka, being a Jets fan). But to complete the analogy, it’d be like watching Zach Wilson huck a bajillion interceptions and bad passes into triple coverage all loving game and the refs swooped in at the end of the fourth quarter to give them the win every time and they’re 8-0 instead of what they actually are right now, 4-4. It would not only make the Jets fradulent as hell, but it’d make the product as a whole worse because nothing actually matters, the zebras are gonna swoop in and give them the win regardless. This is currently where TAZ is, because they refuse to stop repeating the lie that it is a game based off a ttrpg system as opposed to what it actually is, which is a radio play with dice rolling sfx added in to the background.

yeah, it kind of feels like inertia at this point. the adventure zone is the adventure zone, and therefore is the adventure zone

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSokMrRpR5k

I wish Burger King did more dumb things around halloween

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't remember if I first saw it ITT or not, but I had a good time listening to this megamix of TAZ music today-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Uje-mulKQ

Didn't think I would remember as many of them as I did.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/uXf9z689ALA?si=SM4kFeyDqul4enfK

Is Griffin back with Polygon or is it just an occasional deal?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

https://youtu.be/uXf9z689ALA?si=SM4kFeyDqul4enfK

Is Griffin back with Polygon or is it just an occasional deal?

this video is eight years old, op

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

dmboogie posted:

this video is eight years old, op

lol I misread that as 8 hours ago

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It was referenced in an episode a few weeks ago so the algorithm probably brought it up to more people.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's interesting to hear that the same stuff that got me to stop listening to TAZ back at the end of the first game are still going on.

Also, I'm beyond sick of them just warbling into mic at the end of main show episodes.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my two brothers (and I) all listen to MBMBAM. neither one of them is an RPG nerd, and they both started TAZ Balance but lost interest after Crystal Kingdom. that's also basically where I stop listening when I go back.

seems like the last chapter where the show was primarily funny and chaotic, but I'm not sure if I can back that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I stopped in the middle of Crystal Kingdom, i think the specific episode that made me drop it was when Griffin just straight lifted the Mettaton quiz show from Undertale