Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

quote:

However Mr Stobart, group property manager at Linthorpe Property Management, said he and other landlords were being put in the "firing line" when charged per bedroom.

As firing lines go I'd say he got off easy :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My student house for students only that advertises itself to students of one particular university is raising a lot of questions already answered by my £43,000 annual charge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FFS Boris, at lease make the effort to care.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sinky posted:

Leaving him with only £230,000~ per year :qq:

Their website says 'from at least £90 a week'.
So assuming the lowest per year is £4320.

They say they have '23 Five bed flats, 16 Four bed flats, 11 Six bed cluster flats and 4 studio apartments'

So 115+64+66+8 total. Assuming studio apartments are two bedroom.

253 beds roughly.

253 x 4320 = £1,092,690 per year.

Boohoo if you charge me 43k I'll still have a million, how dare you, you are starving my family.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It was twenty years ago now (Christ!) but when I was at Teesside university I spent the first year assuming the town was almost entirely white, until I happened to wander into a bit of the town I’d never been before and to my astonishment discovered an entire south Asian community there. Like, a large one. There was almost no evidence for this outside of the specific roads they were on - you could walk through the town centre on a Saturday afternoon and only see white faces. Seeing the mosque dome in the distance from a tall building was the only clue.

To be fair, even by the end of my degree you could see a marked improvement, with much more integration in Middlesbrough. But that initial segregation was very shocking to me at the time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Thats not some random bloke. its some company. 43grand bill to continue doing business doesnt seem that bad. BUt the whole thing is a bit weird. It says the money is supposed to go to improve rental accommodation quality but that all the money gets spent on staff salaries delivering the scheme. What exactly are they doing?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The fact that the conservatives are going to be doomed to have the Holy Trinity of Twats at every national event for the next 20-30 years is quite a lol

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thats not some random bloke. its some company. 43grand bill to continue doing business doesnt seem that bad. BUt the whole thing is a bit weird. It says the money is supposed to go to improve rental accommodation quality but that all the money gets spent on staff salaries delivering the scheme. What exactly are they doing?

looks like tenant screening, a housing inspection program, a social intervention program, and maintaining a directory of properties available to rent

https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/housing/landlords/selective-landlord-licensing-scheme/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can't believe the Met are being bigoted against Raëlians :mad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%EBlism

ffs urls with non-regular characters

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It says the money is supposed to go to improve rental accommodation quality but that all the money gets spent on staff salaries delivering the scheme. What exactly are they doing?

Hopefully walking behind known landlords at all times in they are in public, yelling "shame! shame!"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can't believe the Met are being bigoted against Raëlians :mad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%EBlism

ffs urls with non-regular characters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

n/m i didn't notice the swastika loool

crispix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 12, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jippa posted:

When was the last time you said "jostled" out loud.

surprised it didn't escalate to a fracas!!!!!!!!!!!! :barf:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Their website says 'from at least £90 a week'.
So assuming the lowest per year is £4320.

They say they have '23 Five bed flats, 16 Four bed flats, 11 Six bed cluster flats and 4 studio apartments'

So 115+64+66+8 total. Assuming studio apartments are two bedroom.

253 beds roughly.

253 x 4320 = £1,092,690 per year.

Boohoo if you charge me 43k I'll still have a million, how dare you, you are starving my family.

i'm convinced something happens to the brain when people have too much money

there's a very wealthy man in my town, descendant of the bloke who designed the Titantic and the main heir to the estate. He's probably in his mid-sixties now and most people in town call him either Mr Bean or Mr Burns.

Couple of anecodes thanks to the services of local checkout operators: spent 20 minutes in a Tesco Express arguing that he should be able to pay for just one orange rather than buying a net of oranges. on another occasion in Super Valu, spent a period of time engaged in a circular argument insisting that he should be able to use his out of date coupon to get a discount of a matter of pence until someone in the queue got fed up and gave him the sum of money - he accepted it.

he has a special garden with hedges that he has sculpted. He has a great love of horses so presumably the ones that resemble creatures are supposed to be equine, but the best of them looks like an afghan hound standing on its hind legs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh and he's quite recently divorced on account of there's only so much a human woman can put up with and he's on a mission to flog off as much land as possible for as much as he can get

he submitted a planning application to cram 14 "town houses" onto a plot of land that is the back garden of a 150 year old terrace house that he rents out - it's about 60m x 30m

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

happyhippy posted:

Truss looks so happy to have been invited. :buddy:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just the perfect quote from Shapps on Rememberance Sunday to remind us what it is we are actually remembering

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I’m not saying the original map is correct, but it’s definitely not about that old article because that’s about a security council vote so there’d be no way for most of the world to vote.

Edit: Checked and it seems genuine:

https://press.un.org/en/2023/gaspd798.doc.htm

By a recorded vote of 145 in favour to 7 against (Canada, Hungary, Israel, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, United States) with 18 abstentions, the Committee approved the draft resolution titled “Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and the occupied Syrian Golan” (document A/C.4/78/L.15). By its terms, the Assembly would condemn settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and in the occupied Syrian Golan and any activities involving the confiscation of land, the disruption of the livelihood of protected persons, the forced transfer of civilians and the annexation of land, whether de facto or through national legislation.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 12, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

team overhead smash posted:

I’m not saying the original map is correct, but it’s definitely not about that old article because that’s about a security council vote so there’d be no way for most of the world to vote.

Edit: Checked and it seems genuine:

https://press.un.org/en/2023/gaspd798.doc.htm

By a recorded vote of 145 in favour to 7 against (Canada, Hungary, Israel, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Nauru, United States) with 18 abstentions, the Committee approved the draft resolution titled “Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and the occupied Syrian Golan” (document A/C.4/78/L.15). By its terms, the Assembly would condemn settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and in the occupied Syrian Golan and any activities involving the confiscation of land, the disruption of the livelihood of protected persons, the forced transfer of civilians and the annexation of land, whether de facto or through national legislation.

Your googling is better than mine :)
I'm just amazed actually that the UK voted for it!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Truss looks so happy to have been invited. :buddy:

I literally do not care about the poppy leaf being at 11 to represent the time of the armistice but I am lolling that hers is the only one that isn't even close to correct

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

I literally do not care about the poppy leaf being at 11 to represent the time of the armistice but I am lolling that hers is the only one that isn't even close to correct

It's as correct as the fella's on the front-left.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 12, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh right, I actually couldn't see it, so I guess I'll just say is the most obviously wrong

who is that guy on the left anyway? in fact who are all of the guys between oval office and Starmer*

*other oval office

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Just the perfect quote from Shapps on Rememberance Sunday to remind us what it is we are actually remembering

It's quotes like this that make me wonder if the entire political system and the media that covers it is some huge, long-span satirical art project.

Like, you could not write better satire than that - trying to justify an ally causing civilian deaths in a conflict by reminding everyone that your country once killed tens of thousands of civilians in one city in two days in what is considered by many to be a major war crime, so your ally's actions are fine.

Surely anyone who was actually trying to make this sort of argument would use, well, almost any other British bombing operation in WW2 - one that at least had an unarguably military objective. Not the most controversial one of the entire conflict. The only sort of person who would hold up Dresden as an excuse for the 'good guy' would have to be doing a bit?

Genuinely makes my brain hurt :psyduck:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Your googling is better than mine :)
I'm just amazed actually that the UK voted for it!

This is not anything special, when I checked out what the resolution actually is it’s the same resolution the UN votes on yearly around this time that always passes with these kind of margins. You can go back and see a similar resolution passing every year by similar margins for decades.

Good that countries are using the general assembly to put pressure on Israel, but this won’t amount to anything and is in effect the status quo rather than something happening in response to the current attacks on Palestinians.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Everyone in this picture looks as if Kier Starmer just poo poo himself.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The whole country is going to look like Keith has poo poo himself in about a years time

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sanford posted:

Everyone in this picture looks as if Kier Starmer just poo poo himself.

Boris knows.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

oh right, I actually couldn't see it, so I guess I'll just say is the most obviously wrong

who is that guy on the left anyway? in fact who are all of the guys between oval office and Starmer*

*other oval office

oval office, Davey, [recognise but name escapes me]*, no idea, Michael Green then Starmer

* Oh it's Oliver Dowden

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wafflecop posted:

oval office, Davey, [recognise but name escapes me]*, no idea, Michael Green then Starmer

* Oh it's Oliver Dowden

I thought that one 5th from left was Corinne Stockheath.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

After putting in "leader of {name} party" into google numerous times, I find that The Unknown politician between Corinne & Oliver is Stephen Flynn, leader of the SNP in Westminster.

And guess what, he's in disgrace with the torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/12/snp-westminster-accused-disrespecting-war-dead-cenotaph/

(a) for not singing
(b) holding his wreath upside down though apparently that is the scottish version?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 12, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Corbyn - esque levels of Poppy Xmas disrespect

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Boris still looks like a shifty oval office, desperately looking to be "The Man!". :rolleyes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
taking this down now

i hope you all had a great sunday evening :)

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 13, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I/P

All ICU patients in Al Shifa Hospital have died due to no power & no oxygen. Source: FB friend (in Gaza)- reported by Ministry of Health

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 12, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I/P

All ICU patients in Al Shifa Hospital have died due to no power & no oxygen. Source: FB friend (in Gaza)- reported by Ministry of Health

As if things were not insane enough. :ughh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've not been having an easy time mental health wise, witnessing the liquidation of a ghettoised people in real time

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"... According to the Hamas-led Gaza health authority, at least!"

(I am a very sensible grown-up journalist at the BBC.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i've not been having an easy time mental health wise, witnessing the liquidation of a ghettoised people in real time

Remember though! No making explicit comparison to that other recent historical group of ghetto-liquidators or you'll get visited by secret police and have your life destroyed :yaycloud: !

But yeah, this is painful. I've donated to MSF and ANERA and done a bit of walking around and chanting but it really just feels so loving insignificant against the tsunami of evil colonial atrocity

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remember though! No making explicit comparison to that other recent historical group of ghetto-liquidators or you'll get visited by secret police and have your life destroyed :yaycloud: !

But yeah, this is painful. I've donated to MSF and ANERA and done a bit of walking around and chanting but it really just feels so loving insignificant against the tsunami of evil colonial atrocity

You did something. That's a gently caress ton more than what a lot of people have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Despite how awful she is, and how dreadful the people whose interests she represents, there's still a part of me that finds Liz Truss a tiny bit adorable. I guess I just can't fully resent someone who is genuinely that stupid, and who seems so unabashedly delighted to be at all these grown up political events.