Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1723740120530956798?s=20

IAF is buzzing Beirut again, but not actually doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Allah confused their instruments.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

So, suppose the Idea of Galicia prevailed over Zionism. Would there be a conservative Galician-ism that had all of these same talking points about why Jews can only be safe in Western Ukraine?

Or, broadly, without the Holocaust, would there be a strain of conservative politics in the diaspora demanding Jews return to the shtetls of the Pale?

Isn't a big buttress of Zionism the Fundamentalist Christians who think their victory will bring about the Rapture? I feel like without Muslims existing as a mutual Other for both Jews and Christians to hate, they'd have a lot less power. If Western Ukraine was the promised land, the enemy would just be communists, who were already the enemy anyway.

support our troops

Ba5ic
Nov 12, 2023

by VG

Al! posted:

Zionism is not Judaism is just baseline poo poo you need to know to understand the conflict at all and i think that's a pretty easy concept to most people to grasp. some people have been misled on this point but that doesn't make them ignorant to it.

no, it's not "baseline"
it's completely insane to expect the average person the be able to differentiate between the two. you have to have a good knowledge of history, good knowledge of current geopolitics and a solid understanding of the history of P/I to not lose your poo poo when confronted by the concept "powerful jews wreck havoc on defenseless palestinians"

i get that most goons touch computers for most of the day but this poo poo is by no means "just a few bad apples". never forget that you are not immune to propaganda, and the effort to synergize judaism and zionism has been a huge success partly because it builds upon centuries of hate. this poo poo that transcends generations, borders and cultures.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

PhilippAchtel posted:

Don't attack people for wearing the Star of David in the gym ffs.

I won't defend someone who does that no matter what their politics are.

This is fine, but you have to careful. Too many people walk right into the minefield and then complain they got burned.

Genuine question, not trying to justify attacking someone for wearing a Star of David, but is it even common for non-Zionist Jews to wear the Star of David? I thought it was basically equivalent to the Jesus Fish where it's technically a religious symbol but typically only people of a certain political persuasion would actually go around displaying it these days.

Again, even if it is mostly worn by Zionists that's no reason to go hating on someone who just happens to wear it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ba5ic posted:

no, it's not "baseline"
it's completely insane to expect the average person the be able to differentiate between the two. you have to have a good knowledge of history, good knowledge of current geopolitics and a solid understanding of the history of P/I to not lose your poo poo when confronted by the concept "powerful jews wreck havoc on defenseless palestinians"

i get that most goons touch computers for most of the day but this poo poo is by no means "just a few bad apples". never forget that you are not immune to propaganda, and the effort to synergize judaism and zionism has been a huge success partly because it builds upon centuries of hate. this poo poo that transcends generations, borders and cultures.

Welcome new poster to SA

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Frosted Flake posted:

So, suppose the idea of Galicia prevailed over Zionism. Would there be a conservative Galician-ism that had all of these same talking points about why Jews can only be safe in Western Ukraine?

Or, broadly, without the Holocaust, would there be a strain of conservative politics in the diaspora demanding Jews return to the shtetls of the Pale?

The thing about Zionism is that it sought to change the meaning of being Jewish. The movement was spearheaded by weirdos who hated Yiddish, hated the Eastern European Jewish communities from whence they came, just hated Jewish culture and the diaspora in general. They wanted to reinvent jews from "the people of the book" to "the people of the sword." They wanted to cast away "the old jew" - religious, scholarly, "weak", and to make way for a "new jew" - the suntanned, strong, secular, hebrew speaking self reliant kibbutznik alpha male. They wanted jews to be first and foremost a race living in an ethnic homeland rather than a religious community, for whom the cultural/historical significance of Jewish traditions or holy sites is more important than their religious/spiritual significance.

Without the new, zionist conception of the Jewish people, I'm really not sure that the same paranoid, ethnonationalist talking points would still emerge. After all, if the jews have a safe, "soft" homeland in a territory that's found within another country or empire whose existence and borders they don't have to militarily defend themselves (proving that anti-semitism isn't some inexorable force of nature and they don't need to barricade themselves away from non-jews), and the jews within it don't view themselves as a fascist warrior-race defending the fatherland, why would they still think like that?

Sancho Banana has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Nov 12, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ba5ic posted:

no, it's not "baseline"

I mean, it's actually very simple:

Do you believe Jewish Canadians are Canadians who are Jewish, or non-Canadians who happen to live in Canada, but belong somewhere else?

If you believe Jews are your countrymen, Zionism is ridiculous. If you can accept that they are a member of your nation, then they can belong to all nations, in the same way we live alongside Prods and nowadays people who belong to eastern religions too.

Accepting the premise of Zionism means that (at best) we should organize our own societies around "homelands" the same way,

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Nov 12, 2023

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Welcome new poster to SA

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sancho Banana posted:

The thing about Zionism is that it sought to change the meaning of being Jewish. The movement was spearheaded by weirdos who hated Yiddish, hated the Eastern European Jewish communities from whence they came, just hated Jewish culture and the diaspora in general. They wanted to reinvent jews from "the people of the book" to "the people of the sword." They wanted to cast away "the old jew" - religious, scholarly, "weak", and to make way for a "new jew" - the suntanned, strong, secular, hebrew speaking self reliant kibbutznik alpha male. They wanted jews to be first and foremost a race living in an ethnic homeland rather than a religious community, for whom the cultural/historical significance of Jewish traditions or holy sites is more important than their religious/spiritual significance.

Without the new, zionist conception of the Jewish people, I'm really not sure that the same paranoid, ethnonationalist talking points would still emerge. After all, if the jews have a safe, "soft" homeland in a territory that's found within another country or empire whose existence and borders they don't have to militarily defend themselves (proving that anti-semitism isn't some inexorable force of nature and they don't need to barricade themselves away from non-jews), and the jews within it don't view themselves as a fascist warrior-race defending the fatherland, why would they still think like that?

Thanks for this, that was a great post.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Phigs posted:

Genuine question, not trying to justify attacking someone for wearing a Star of David, but is it even common for non-Zionist Jews to wear the Star of David? I thought it was basically equivalent to the Jesus Fish where it's technically a religious symbol but typically only people of a certain political persuasion would actually go around displaying it these days.

I know very few Jews personally but I do know one who is totally secular, mixed feelings on Israel leaning toward “it’s bad” (ie, not a Zionist) and they wear a Star of David necklace on the reg.

Looked it up and there’s five total synagogues in Oklahoma, population 4 million.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

in the same way we live alongside Prods and nowadays people who belong to eastern religions too.

this comparison is reductive because it ignores the ethnoreligious factors not present in protestantism

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 hours!)

Even though I'm dead inside, this made me chuckle

https://x.com/emadisanie624/status/1723746637888016882?s=46

Maybe Israel should use this as their next propoganda video, and claim NBC is…wait for it…

ALSO Hamas

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you believe Jewish Canadians are Canadians who are Jewish, or non-Canadians who happen to live in Canada, but belong somewhere else?

poo poo, that's a great way of putting it. I'm gonna start using that.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Phigs posted:

Again, even if it is mostly worn by Zionists that's no reason to go hating on someone who just happens to wear it.

I mean the saudis think the ottomans were basically infidels and even they use the star and crescent, which comes from the ottoman flag.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Welcome new poster to SA

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I keep hearing that I'm not immune to propaganda, but with every passing day I think I get a little closer

DTI DTA

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ArnoRosenfeld/status/1723033755818868740

What is the point of jstreet

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Laundering American/Israeli policy.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

peace bloc at the pro genocide rally

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Germany being nazis

AFP: The German Chancellor announces his rejection of an immediate ceasefire in Gaza

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1723748342188953657?s=20

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

go for a stroll posted:

has anyone explained why a misfired qassam has 50x the yield of a regular one? why don't they make the whole barrage out of misfires?

Because it gains power from bombing baby icus you idiot

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
All the ICU patients in al-shifa are dead.

https://x.com/QudsNen/status/1723746313303474580?s=20

Urgent | Journalist Mustafa Sarsour from inside Al Shifa Hospital to Al Jazeera: Israeli drones sniped a number of civilians in the hospital courtyard

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1723749772744392880?s=20

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
gently caress

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Sancho Banana posted:

Perfect encapsulation of how Zionism is just fascism in a yarmulke. These people aren't believers in something greater than themselves because if they were they wouldn't be bombing hospitals. No, the only thing they believe in is themselves and their supremacy over others. They fear death because they, themselves, are all they think is real.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Al-Saqr posted:

Urgent | Journalist Mustafa Sarsour from inside Al Shifa Hospital to Al Jazeera: Israeli drones sniped a number of civilians in the hospital courtyard

Goddammit
Death to loving Israel

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm just inclined to believe the Israelis just went in and shot them at this point

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

May God drat Israel

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

There has to be some kind of justice in the world loving poo poo

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Spaced God posted:

I'm just inclined to believe the Israelis just went in and shot them at this point

they're far too cowardly to go in, so i believe the report

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

OctaMurk posted:

The only way for jews to be safe is to move to the warzone where literally more than a thousand jews were killed on a single day just last month??

the message is western states cannot/will not defend you, come to israel and take up arms

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/Isaac_Herzog/status/1723674305995620570?s=19
Lmao

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Rabid Snake posted:

There has to be some kind of justice in the world loving poo poo

God has no hands in this world but ours.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonCHI/status/1723725921763352915

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

oh is that what they meant by the Israel-Hamas war

speng31b
May 8, 2010

all of that fuel will be put to use on his pyre in hell

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

apatheticman posted: