Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
if it's a working volcano, then presumably lava would be involved at some point - though maybe the kid made an working dormant volcano, which would still be very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I think the "joke" is that the child melted rock, which would only be molten rock, not lava. But if you are being that pedantic, then its not a volcano, its a pile of rock that emits molten rock because its not a rupture in the crust of a rocky planet. Its like if aliens heard about a joke about the difference between lava and magma and tried to retell it.

So it fits pretty well into Daddy Daze, which always felt like an alien's idea of a comic strip.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

That main panel... Delicious!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Ah yes fast food that terrible scourge from 1940, and drive through, a problem from the 1930s. Food delivery has been around since the 70s.

gently caress off.

TyrsHTML fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 12, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Weembles posted:

Diana the UN official and Savarna the murder-tornado are polar opposites. It's fun to watch the uptight character stew over the carefree one and it's fun to watch everyone tiptoe around a curse which may or may not be real.

If the two of them were nothing but hugs and sweetness if would not only be contrary to the scenario, it would be boring. There would be no dramatic tension and nothing for the story to resolve later in the plot.
Yeah, this. Also important to note is Savarna hasn't noticed anything is wrong yet, because Diana isn't trying to be a bitch, she's just trying to take control of the situation. It's funny that she's playing a life and game death of diplomacy and Savarna is like, hell yeah, a bath!!!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ah yes, it's definitely laziness, and not exhaustion and burnout from living in the world you helped create and endorse

get hosed kelly

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

as the comics curmudgeon pointed out today, people definitely love to call grubhub and doordash. that's definitely how those work

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Teens (?) on the couch looking at their phones: the absolute worst that can happen. This is passing as social commentary in the year 2023 somehow.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I love the hat lady ones

People already said the things I was going to say about Dustin, so, uh, I concur.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Curtis's hat lady roasts are consistently the best curtises
I get consistent chuckles and I also think Billingsley's fancy church outfits & hats are just really nice cartooning.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Snitches get stitches.

quote:

Dustin

Shut the gently caress up.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God Forbid Women Do Anything

Effort Not Worth The Punchline TBH, Shoulda Just Stuck With The Image Of An Observatory Getting Its Telescope Through Amazon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's never enough gently caress Yous for Dustin so hey, gently caress You Dustin.

Vargo posted:

fuuuuuucccckkkkkkkk offfffffff

This could be a really sweet moment if it had come at like, the end of a big harrowing adventure that threatened to tear them apart. Maybe they discovered some uncharted island kingdom and the prince there tried to seduce Olive away. Maybe if something happened at all!

But since literally all these people do now is walk around town and talk about their feelings, this is just... more of that.

PUNCH SOMETHING IN THE HEAD, GODDAMMIT.

Second. The monkey paw really curled when we hoped Randy would get to pick the strip up.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Doomykins posted:

There's never enough gently caress Yous for Dustin so hey, gently caress You Dustin.

Second. The monkey paw really curled when we hoped Randy would get to pick the strip up.

gently caress you, Dustin.

Something*Positive lost its luster for me when I started reading Neo Popeye and saw that Randy could only write one thing. Ugh.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

rannum posted:

Curtis's hat lady roasts are consistently the best curtises
I get consistent chuckles and I also think Billingsley's fancy church outfits & hats are just really nice cartooning.
The best Curtises are the church hat ladies and whenever he makes up new, one-off characters.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

quite a time capsule of japanese views of african americans there

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ed Kudlick, the epitome of motivation, discipline and shunning convenience

I wouldn't even mind Dustin if it had consistent characters and not a bunch of cardboard cutouts that can be moved into any configuration to suit today's grumblings.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ghostlight posted:

quite a time capsule of japanese views of african americans there
To be fair, I think the gist of it is mostly centered around seeing black women with white children – the white woman’s baby is specifically described as “dark reddish-brown,” while all the other people are either “white people” or “black people,” which I think is meant to imply that the baby is mixed-race while nobody else is. It’s also probably worth noting that black nannies, often immigrants, for well-off white children is apparently a thing in NYC in particular. It can’t be denied that Japan is often pretty racist, but I’m not sure you can lay this comic at its feet.

We Are Reproducing

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't think i'm being unfair, but i do think there's a distinct unconscious bias in how the white woman with an explicitly mixed-race baby is depicted in the subway ranting to strangers about having no money to raise it with before we're shown two panels of pure-white children whose families are wealthy enough to hire nannies.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Giant Ethicist posted:

To be fair, I think the gist of it is mostly centered around seeing black women with white children – the white woman’s baby is specifically described as “dark reddish-brown,” while all the other people are either “white people” or “black people,” which I think is meant to imply that the baby is mixed-race while nobody else is. It’s also probably worth noting that black nannies, often immigrants, for well-off white children is apparently a thing in NYC in particular. It can’t be denied that Japan is often pretty racist, but I’m not sure you can lay this comic at its feet.
Yeah, I interpreted it as an example of the idea that mixed race babies by necessity don't come out looking white... which isn't exactly true, the actual genetics are a lot more complicated than people's skin color and hair texture being an exact mix of their parents. That white baby there could definitely be the biological grandchild of that black granny, but by the more simplified genetic model the author is familiar with, she's confused.

That's not to say this idea can't be racist or lead to racism, I've heard it can be a real problem for parents with white-passing mixed children to be constantly assumed to be 'the help' or even kidnapping their own children.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

:lmao:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

i don't think i'm being unfair, but i do think there's a distinct unconscious bias in how the white woman with an explicitly mixed-race baby is depicted in the subway ranting to strangers about having no money to raise it with before we're shown two panels of pure-white children whose families are wealthy enough to hire nannies.
Yeah, and assumptions about how mixed race people 'have to' look are pretty problematic. I don't think it's malicious on the WAR author's point, and given how racially homogenous Japan was and is even now, I understand why a city with the ethnic diversity of NYC is interesting observationally to her, but I don't think it's unfair to point out where the assumptions she's making aren't accurate and reflect societal biases.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i dunno if "ranting" is the word either. it's a very distinct thing that happens in big cities with trains, someone comes in and makes a rehearsed "ladies and gentlemen" speech at the top of their voice about the exact circumstances why they have no money and how much they're asking for while walking down the train car, then moves to the next car to make the same speech

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/15-17/51

Archie 9/16-18/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/1-3/51

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2 In which (witch?) Billie hears the full story

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

A big thumpy run upstairs is a very teenage. Well done Billie. Let it all hang out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (February 24-27, 2004)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Impetigo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Easy solution: Sign above the guards that says it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

Easy solution: Sign above the guards that says it.

I always liked the barbarian's answer to this.

Ask one dude what is behind his door. Then gut him and tear his head off.

Ask the other dude if the first dude is alive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drimble Wedge posted:

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

You did graduate during the pandemic though. You can't just decide it's over pretend everything is fine! People are still dying.

Selachian posted:

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/1-3/51

Is something finally happening in this comic?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always liked the barbarian's answer to this.

Ask one dude what is behind his door. Then gut him and tear his head off.

Ask the other dude if the first dude is alive.
They are magical guardians. You get one question and you've already asked it.

If you can ask two questions it's not even difficult and you don't have to kill anyone. Ask the first guard if he's made of cheese. No matter what he answers, you now know which guard lies and which tells the truth and can safely ask either one which is the correct door. The puzzle only works because you only get one question.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

lmao

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 10, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo