Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Majority of “barbarians” were simply Roman Bagaudae who put on horned helmets. There was a small ethnic code of goths or whatever but the majority of troops were simply heroic members of the rural slave society dialectically struggling to bring about the next stage of civilization (feudalism)

PawParole has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
So it turns out not only is Cars 2 filled with cars shooting to the place but there is even a loving talking LCS in it (who uses his CIWS of course).

America

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I've never felt so understood on this forum 🙏

(PS, Prayer hands come from the traditional gesture of fealty to a patron and later liege, kneeling and placing your hands in theirs)

:freeland:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I've never felt so understood on this forum 🙏

(PS, Prayer hands come from the traditional gesture of fealty to a patron and later liege, kneeling and placing your hands in theirs)

what two years and half of political economy + assorted relevant studies does to a mfer, I am re-learning ancient/medieval history from materialist-oriented (not necessarily Marxist) people and well it's a doozy

PawParole posted:

Majority of “barbarians” were simply Roman Bagaudae who put on horned helmets. There was a small ethnic code of goths or whatever but the majority of troops were simply heroic members of the rural slave society dialectically struggling to bring about the next stage of civilization (feudalism)

lol

I am still figuring out about the different regional contexts, if the post-migrations peasant fighters raised hell in similar manners elsewhere, like in North Africa

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dead gay comedy forums posted:

what two years and half of political economy + assorted relevant studies does to a mfer, I am re-learning ancient/medieval history from materialist-oriented (not necessarily Marxist) people and well it's a doozy

Check out

MAKING HISTORY: Agency, Structure, and Change in Social Theory, Antonio Gramsci and the Ancient World and Theory as History: Essays on Modes of Production and Exploitation

if you haven't already. Also anything Chris Wickham wrote, and relevant to this discussion, Drew's translation and commentary of The Laws of the Salian Franks

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1723510653544018351?t=FxzUlFGGCZV3B7PIqW7vjA&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

first to sign up:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

wow where do i sign up to get blown up by a chinese missile

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fellatio del Toro posted:

wow where do i sign up to get blown up by a chinese missile

I was going to say, the military getting rocked on the first day of a war (the US doubtlessly starts) is not a great recruiting mechanism.

It also doesn't change any of the underlying societal things that have been discussed ITT. More to the point, the US doesn't have the shipyards to replace them, so those new volunteer sailors will spent enough time waiting around for a ship to get built that their enthusiasm will wane.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

first to sign up:

noah is definitely signing up to press gang other people to die for biden ukraine-style

Danann has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Nov 13, 2023

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Love 2 fight and die for my country. Love 2 fight and die 4 the land of the TSA and the home of high deductible health insurance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The American public was also not signing up in droves of December 1941 to avenge the US Asiatic Fleet in Manilla. An attack on Pearl Harbour (and blaming all the civilian deaths in Hawaii on the Japanese) was perceived as an attack on America at home. Strikes on US bases that a map shows literally encircle China... not great foundations for the just and righteous cause.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Love 2 fight and die for my country. Love 2 fight and die 4 the land of the TSA and the home of high deductible health insurance

technically you’ll be fighting and dying for another country. Will the people of that other country want to fight and die themselves? well Taiwanese elections are a bit out but also frankly their peoples’ opinions are irrelevant to this question.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

????????????

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The American public was also not signing up in droves of December 1941 to avenge the US Asiatic Fleet in Manilla. An attack on Pearl Harbour (and blaming all the civilian deaths in Hawaii on the Japanese) was perceived as an attack on America at home. Strikes on US bases that a map shows literally encircle China... not great foundations for the just and righteous cause.

Those bases are part of our patrimony and we will defend them to the last drop of peasant blood.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

smdh someone never played goldeneye

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

when he's right he's right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Joe Biden relates to the marines because they also have brain damage.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlC5DEp2EOQ

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wish the US would hurry up and lose ww3 already. I'm sick of it still being there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder how long before he gets major spinal issues carrying a load.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yet another thing rigorous adherence to marching in step would've prevented

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I was tired of being bullied for my looks in high school. so I joined the marines. surely this will be a supportive environment

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

I was tired of being bullied for my looks in high school. so I joined the marines. surely this will be a supportive environment

Yeah...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
look, height is a great consideration when signing up as foreign brothel police cum clientele

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

we are now in the short king era tbf

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tiny men are better at tunnel rat duty. the age of the spider hole is upon us.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

Don't worry after his back snaps they can just fold him up and store him in his own pack until extraction.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i feel like there are many advantages to having a fighting force made up of manlets

-eat less
-take up less space/can pack more in to a battlefield
-high-pitched voice [figure out why this is good later]
-footprints mistaken for ponies or dogs by the enemy
-can do the antman/thanos thing irl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

-footprints mistaken for ponies or dogs by the enemy

forming companies of satyrs to confuse opponents

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Palladium posted:

foreign brothel police cum

Mods

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If China effortlessly kills 10,000 US soldiers in a day I would be 100% in favor of the US immediately surrendering.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gripweed posted:

If China effortlessly kills 10,000 US soldiers in a day I would be 100% in favor of the US immediately surrendering.

uh, don't you know current china is really 1941 japan where the bulk of their army are pointlessly wasted in mainland china with an industrial base of a mere fraction of peak america

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was listening to a Chinese podcast, one of the hosts made a comment that the purpose of the Aukus project is not to make Australia pay for a few US subs, but to dismember the UK domestic nuclear sub industry and to Buu swallow the UK MIC in whole.

Gripweed posted:

It's just the crew number of two carrier ships.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wish the US would hurry up and lose ww3 already. I'm sick of it still being there.

Germany lost two world wars and is still around. Don't hold your breath.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was listening to a Chinese podcast, one of the hosts made a comment that the purpose of the Aukus project is not to make Australia pay for a few US subs, but to dismember the UK domestic nuclear sub industry and to Buu swallow the UK MIC in whole.

and French and Australian shipbuilding generally

The US MIC has gotten really pushy lately (tendency of the rate of profit to fall...) and the US is not even offering licenses for the most part. Sweden and Finland opened themselves up to be a new revenue stream for US corporations cracked open via US diplomacy, because their arms industries were some of the last in Europe and they're going to get absolutely dismantled.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Nov 13, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

and French and Australian shipbuilding generally

The US MIC has gotten really pushy lately (tendency of the rate of profit to fall...) and the US is not even offering licenses for the most part. Sweden and Finland opened themselves up to be a new revenue stream for US corporations cracked open via US diplomacy, because their arms industries were some of the last in Europe and they're going to get absolutely dismantled.

interesting article out today

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/13/defense-industry-buy-american-00126846

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah love da unions

Despite the bill’s sizable exception for certain allies, it managed to retain the endorsement of the AFL-CIO, America’s largest federation of unions; the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and the Union Veterans Council.

IAM International President Robert Martinez said last month in a letter to lead lawmakers on the armed services committees that enacting the measure would, “create and support hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs in the U.S., ensure that our men and women in uniform have consistent access to the tools they need to safely complete their mission, and bolster our industrial base and domestic supply chain.”