Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

thread is moving again, game must be out

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

SirSamVimes posted:

Long sure, but has anything indicated Silksong's development is troubled?

A 2019 E3 presentation where they said it was coming soon followed by 4 years of radio silence is pretty strong evidence that plans changed somewhere along the way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

I am troubled. by not having Silksong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Silksong is now going to be a GaaS looter shooter.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Waltzing Along posted:

Silksong is now going to be a GaaS looter shooter.

Introductory offer! Just $9.99 gets you 25 27 wanderer’s journals!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Team Cherry is actually finishing Barkley 2 which will be included alongside Silksong in the Digital Collector's Edition ($149.99)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well idk, maybe they meant that it has bloat flies? It definitely has bloat flies.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Team Cherry's office is just a scattering of programmers all taking anxiety-naps in different hiding spots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

A 2019 E3 presentation where they said it was coming soon followed by 4 years of radio silence is pretty strong evidence that plans changed somewhere along the way.

You kind of have to give a mulligan on 2020 and maybe 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Why? They're based in Australia and largely avoided that collapse in society

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ImpAtom posted:

Why? It's a small team that could easily work from home in a country that handled that pandemic pretty well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Listen we all drank a lot more than we should have during COVID, Australia is no exception

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a very maximalist game and each area is like twice as big for the platforming themes and ideas they bring. The sheer scope can be impressive on a first playthrough but I don't think it's the best design and makes replays a slog, and also why I'm not surprised now Team Cherry have been given an infinite amount of rope they appear to be hanging themselves with it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
All of Team Cherry were killed in a tragic drop bear attack and the Australian government is covering it up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No Dignity posted:

This has been my theory, Hollow Knight was already bloated and I wouldn't be surprised if with the extra budget and freedom they're doubling down on the insane scale

Reminds me of a pixel roguelike dungeon crawler I backed on Kickstarter years ago that is still in active development and still not out after years of development. I've kinda been ignoring the update emails but happened to read the last one, and it was talking about them reworking caravans that move on the world map and being able to found outposts or something.

Give (relatively) inexperienced devs too much money and time to work on their dream project, and chances are good you get insane feature creep and the desire to try to chase perfection far too long.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Hollow Knight was already goated

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
On my third playthrough I got the <5 hour achievement without even trying very hard and a pretty minimal amount of route planning. The game's not bloated, its just got lots to explore and tons of optional stuff, which is normal for metroidvanias

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Dignity posted:

It's a very maximalist game and each area is like twice as big for the platforming themes and ideas they bring. The sheer scope can be impressive on a first playthrough but I don't think it's the best design and makes replays a slog, and also why I'm not surprised now Team Cherry have been given an infinite amount of rope they appear to be hanging themselves with it

Hollow Knight being as big as it is rules, and the zones should not be a slog on a replay because you should be able to basically fly through them with only pogo and dash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hollow Knight ftw.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Guys, amazing news, Hollow Knight: Hornetsongsong is finally OUT!

i'm kale king

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

150 new Litttle ghosts

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Reminds me of a pixel roguelike dungeon crawler I backed on Kickstarter years ago that is still in active development and still not out after years of development. I've kinda been ignoring the update emails but happened to read the last one, and it was talking about them reworking caravans that move on the world map and being able to found outposts or something.

Give (relatively) inexperienced devs too much money and time to work on their dream project, and chances are good you get insane feature creep and the desire to try to chase perfection far too long.

Hey at least they have email updates :smith:

edit: post the clown. It's funny when you post the clown.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

QuarkJets posted:

Well idk, maybe they meant that it has bloat flies? It definitely has bloat flies.

bloat files

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Banana panda?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Why? They're based in Australia and largely avoided that collapse in society
this is really stupid dude, you have no idea how covid affected their lives. most of the white noise complaints will be ignored as usual but seriously you gotta chill when you're posting idiotic stuff like this

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Maybe it'll be a launch title for Steam Deck 2. I'd buy the Silksong edition.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

this is really stupid dude, you have no idea how covid affected their lives. most of the white noise complaints will be ignored as usual but seriously you gotta chill when you're posting idiotic stuff like this

Who's not chill? I'm not mad at the devs, and like Australia avoiding the worst of the pandemic is just a fact, is there any reason to think that they were massively derailed by Covid?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You keep saying the devs are metaphorically hanging themselves with bloat and are coming up with an imaginary scenario where this is the one project on earth that should have been unaffected by a pandemic that messed up everyone's lives for years. It's a video game that's been delayed a few months.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martman posted:

You keep saying the devs are metaphorically hanging themselves with bloat and are coming up with an imaginary scenario where this is the one project on earth that should have been unaffected by a pandemic that messed up everyone's lives for years. It's a video game that's been delayed a few months.

And you're coming up with an imaginary scenario where they couldn't work on the game for up to two years working from home in one of the safest countries in the world to weather the pandemic because...?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

???? But even in the "best weathered countries" covid still affected all sorts of things? Like mental health. Sometimes physical health if you're unlucky. Infrastructure was hit. Economy. Even if your livelihood was secure, maybe not your partner's. Family's. Friends'. And even if all of that is okay, maybe you preferred working in an office. Or at least, a place away from home. Or in varying environments.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Artelier posted:

???? But even in the "best weathered countries" covid still affected all sorts of things? Like mental health. Sometimes physical health if you're unlucky. Infrastructure was hit. Economy. Even if your livelihood was secure, maybe not your partner's. Family's. Friends'. And even if all of that is okay, maybe you preferred working in an office. Or at least, a place away from home. Or in varying environments.
Nah mate, all that just means more opportunity for crunch time!!!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The novel coronavirus? Yeah, I sure got a lot of novel reading done when I was stuck at home!!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
If they had to stop working on the game for two years because of the novel coronavirus then I think that still counts as development being troubled.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

No Dignity posted:

And you're coming up with an imaginary scenario where they couldn't work on the game for up to two years working from home in one of the safest countries in the world to weather the pandemic because...?

No one said this.

Snake Maze posted:

If they had to stop working on the game for two years because of the novel coronavirus then I think that still counts as development being troubled.

No one said this.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ColdPie posted:

No one said this.

:confused: It was what kicked off the corona derail?

ImpAtom posted:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That post does not say they stopped working on the game for two years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This thread is becoming about as useful as Zote.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

This thread is becoming about as useful as Zote.

Always has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Silksong announced tomorrow dont worry

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1724064578089234492?s=20