Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

evil_bunnY posted:

I put dielectric plastic safe grease on my shimano contacts and it really helps with the system startup checks when plugging into a battery bracket that’s been rained on.

Please refer to the avatar that came before you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have experience swapping out a Purion for a Kiox (or other head unit)?

Basically, I want to 1) have custom (specifically, <40%) assist modes and 2) be able to track (rider) power data.

The ideal would pretty much be something like the Specialized mission control app, where you can track rider power over a ride and adjust the assist in 10% increments.

Does the Kiox seem like the right move for that? Does anyone have any advice/experience with this? I imagine a bike shop could do this, but it's surprisingly tricky to get a good sense of what to aim for.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Longshot, but anyone happen to be around louisville that'd be interested in buying my pace 500.2? I moved to nevada by plane, and trying to figure out how to get my bike and batteries/etc here without owning a car is insanely expensive, so I'm leaning toward the option of selling it and paying the difference to buy one locally

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Aventon is having a $500 off sale on the Abound. $1600 is compelling.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
stealing my gf’s super73 really makes me want one of those dickhead e-dirt bikes. this poo poo is so much fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

My present ride while the new bike gets finished

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

stealing my gf’s super73 really makes me want one of those dickhead e-dirt bikes. this poo poo is so much fun.
Yeah turns out a light supermoto with max torque from 0rpm is pretty cool. It's not a bike, but it's fun as gently caress

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah turns out a light supermoto with max torque from 0rpm is pretty cool. It's not a bike, but it's fun as gently caress
if they aren’t bikes, why do they have pedals? checkmate, United States Department of Transportation!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

TenementFunster posted:

if they aren’t bikes, why do they have pedals? checkmate, United States Department of Transportation!

:smugdog:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm gonna get a battery cozy :3:
https://store.ternbicycles.com/products/fahrer-akku-e-bike-battery-cover

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My present ride while the new bike gets finished

When was this? I was just there over the weekend (hiking, not biking)... is there a good route to get up there other than just taking the highway? Or were you based up in the mountains and just riding around the local area? I saw a few people riding on the highway and it looked miserable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

VacaGrande posted:

When was this? I was just there over the weekend (hiking, not biking)... is there a good route to get up there other than just taking the highway? Or were you based up in the mountains and just riding around the local area? I saw a few people riding on the highway and it looked miserable.

I rode from home Saturday (I live in the lower Blue Mountains). There's mostly a backroads way except between Falconbridge and Woodford which is highway only but to be honest the highway is actually pretty good to ride as there is a decent breakdown lane and has the easiest gradients. The only real leery area is between the first turnoff to Leura and the second where the breakdown lane disappears for about 300 meters going uphill.

I did mostly highway except at Leura where I took the back roads (and some reeeeeeal mean pitches) to Echo Point. And yeah it was kinda miserable as there was a nasty headwind and also 40C on the road, when it's not blasting wind or hot as gently caress it's actually a decent ride, abeit 40 odd kms of mostly constant climbing.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Thanks to kimbo305 for the sweet sticker! Now if my bike is stolen I can describe something unique about it.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I did mostly highway except at Leura where I took the back roads (and some reeeeeeal mean pitches) to Echo Point. And yeah it was kinda miserable as there was a nasty headwind and also 40C on the road, when it's not blasting wind or hot as gently caress it's actually a decent ride, abeit 40 odd kms of mostly constant climbing.

We were showing some visiting friends around the area and the comment was made while driving between Leura and Katoomba that "this road is just mean".

I was out there Saturday morning, I probably would have engaged in awkward conversation had I seen you, since I seem to do that with everyone on a bike ("uh.... nice ride today?").

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Aventon is having a $500 off sale on the Abound. $1600 is compelling.

The reviews on the website are pretty hit or miss. I recently decided I wanted an e-bike to cart around a 4yr old and a 2yr old but I don't have much of a budget and that price is very appealing. Anyone have any experience with this bike?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I don't have personal experience but I've done a lot of research and the abound is almost universally considered the best budget cargo bike around. I'm seriously tempted myself but I cannot figure out a way to get my German shepherd comfortably on the back which means I'm stuck trying to find a front loader that doesn't cost a billion dollars in the US.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
My fiance has one. We had to RMA the rear wheel because spokes ketp breaking, but it's worked great since then.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is there a simple feature/comparison matrix out there for surrons and any of those types of bikes? considering for commuting (~10 miles each way)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

New e-Road bike day

Makes my 50km commute somewhat more fun

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hi thread! We’re looking at taking the plunge into a family cargo bike with our upcoming move- daycare dropoffs/shortish commute will be made much better with one.

We’re looking at a <20mph one- honestly it could be non-electric- that can hold two to three young (but not tiny) kids but ALSO be ridden by someone who is 5’1” and someone who is 5’10” (primary rider) preferably without having to switch parts/size kits. It looks like most of the longtail cargo bikes fit 5’3”+.

Any suggestions for a manual or e-bike that can fit 2-3 kids and/or a decent amount of groceries?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
What kind of budget do you have? 3 kids on one bike is a lot, unless you're also willing to pull a trailer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Hi thread! We’re looking at taking the plunge into a family cargo bike with our upcoming move- daycare dropoffs/shortish commute will be made much better with one.

We’re looking at a <20mph one- honestly it could be non-electric- that can hold two to three young (but not tiny) kids but ALSO be ridden by someone who is 5’1” and someone who is 5’10” (primary rider) preferably without having to switch parts/size kits. It looks like most of the longtail cargo bikes fit 5’3”+.

Any suggestions for a manual or e-bike that can fit 2-3 kids and/or a decent amount of groceries?

One of the couples at my daycare are 6' and 5'2", and they just barely can use the extreme ends of the seatpost adjustment range on their GSD.
Their model comes with a Thudbuster seatpost, which easily eats up 3" of adjustment, so 5'1" shouldn't be a problem. The normal seatpost is advertised by Tern as good for down 4'6".

The next problem is the handlebar height. With the limited adjustment not at its lowest setting, the 5'2" rider has her arms almost straight forward, with the bar looking quite geometrically wide. I'd consider getting narrower and/or swept back bars just to reduce reach.

> 2-3 kids

On a GSD, there's enough space for 3 when there's no child seat at play

With a canopy on, you lose some leg room:

And it'd be worse with a child seat and a canopy. Doable, but very tight.

That said, I think the problem would be overall mass and unwieldyness.
I'd be confident on my size and experience in counterweighting the 3 kids throwing their weight around, both at a stop and while moving. If you don't weigh as much, it might be much more challenging to deal with the 160lb+ bike+kids system.

There are non-powered bikes that likely would fit you. Again, a concern the weight of those kids. Having them sit over a 26" or 24" wheel would be that much more weight to counterbalance, compared to a 20" wheel.
Xtracycle's Swoop has a 20" rear wheel: https://www.bicyclebelleboston.com/bicycles/xtracycle-swoop-xpp

Bicycle Belle in Porter Square might have some of these in stock. Certainly plenty of options to test back to back.
Ace Wheelworks nearby might have a Yuba or the Terns, thought not as well stocked as the Belmont location.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can fit a toddler seat in front of the saddle in theory. But if you bike is too heavy, its going to be very hard to control at low speed. I have dropped my bike once with my kid in the back at zero speed. No injury or anything. But me being a 30+ year rider, I didn't realize heavier step over bike requires different way to approach dismount wen you are carrying something in the back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My pick would be a Tern GSD or HSD and a trailer, or a RM Load 75.

Nothing with normal wheels (with kids on the back they get real unwieldy).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We’re expecting our 3yo kid on the bike most days, and an almost 5yo occasionally. Possibly a baby/young toddler in the future, but the eldest will likely be riding their own bike more consistently by then so maybe I can drop the 3-kid requirement.

I’m fairly strong with disproportionately long reach (compared to my corgi legs), but do have concerns about handling if it’s full up with more than one kid. Chances are my partner would be riding it if we’re taking them all somewhere.

Budget-wise, cheaper is good but anything is cheaper than another car so we’re willing to invest in something that is good for us.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If the smaller rider will take the 3 kids, definitely a trailer.

OR

:: Onderwaterfiets :: with a kid seat on the back and make the fuckers pedal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have a Radio Flyer L800, and while the brakes suck everything else has been great. I'm going to drop it off at a local shop over winter and let them deal with upgrading the brakes.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you drop the 3 kid requirement you can do it on any bike. One in the back and one toddler in the front.

A cargo bike with OEM long rack and running board is still much better. There are about 5-7 cargo bike models you can choose from. They are not much more expensive than other bike with the same drive train. (Chinese drive train=cheap, Germany drive train=expensive.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

On a GSD, there's enough space for 3 when there's no child seat at play

for the sake of that poor front child, keep your bike shorts washed

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

New e-Road bike day

Makes my 50km commute somewhat more fun

Looks great! Thinking about renting one to try and bust out a bunch of km on the alps in a few weeks. How do you like it?

BadSamaritan posted:

The RM Load 75 is super nice and would fit them, but it's also quite expensive. I've seen an Urban Arrow with 3 kids in front, but it really depends how big they are. Yuba Supermarche is another front loader option.

Just chatting with folks who have them it does sound like bakfiets style bikes tend to be a bit better for many children, but clearly the Tern can work too so ymmv.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

My understanding is that three kids can technically fit on a long tail, but only a front loader is really designed to hold that many.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

foutre posted:

Looks great! Thinking about renting one to try and bust out a bunch of km on the alps in a few weeks. How do you like it?

I like it a lot, it does exactly what I wanted. It's a fun ride, set up for road means without the motor on it's just a decent 13kg road bike and needs a bit more effort to get going but thats it. With the motor you still get a hell of a workout and just get to where you want to go faster. Also I dont really notice assistance cutting in or out, it's very progressive which means when you get past the assistance limiter it still feels natural. On ECO mode I'm seeing about 138kms range, which I have gone close to on the same kind of bike as a rental.

I got a couple of other high end carbon analogue bikes that are better for a good day out and going fast, this one does the commutes and also some mountain climbing perfectly fine.

I'd prefer electronic shifting and a smaller rear cassette but eh.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Gangringo posted:

My understanding is that three kids can technically fit on a long tail, but only a front loader is really designed to hold that many.

Not that I have 3, but my 5-year old already wants to ride his bike as often as he wants to sit on the back of the cargo ebike. In a year he'll probably hardly ever want to ride on the back.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

On ECO mode I'm seeing about 138kms range, which I have gone close to on the same kind of bike as a rental.

That's a wild range, wow. Truly, as someone who owns a regular road bike and electric gravel bike already there's no world where actually getting one of these makes sense, but that sounds excellent. Excited to try it out, sounds like it'll be great for trying to squeeze in as many of the cool French climbs as I can.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

foutre posted:

Just chatting with folks who have them it does sound like bakfiets style bikes tend to be a bit better for many children, but clearly the Tern can work too so ymmv.
The main thing is that well designed bakfiets keep the kids weight low down, so they're way more pleasant at low speed and when walking the bike.
Tadpole cargo trikes are even better but you trade away all semblance of ride dynamics (unless you spring for a butchers & bikes, which only fits 2 in the front).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Good news: the REI e-bikes are back at $900/1150 respectively
https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike

Bad news: I put all the extra decals in my own e-bike that got stolen

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Do they do c2/c3 at all?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

kimbo305 posted:

Good news: the REI e-bikes are back at $900/1150 respectively
https://www.rei.com/product/189967/co-op-cycles-generation-e11-electric-bike

https://www.rei.com/product/190640/co-op-cycles-generation-e12-electric-bike

Bad news: I put all the extra decals in my own e-bike that got stolen

These are neat bikes, like a bargain Tern but maybe without the option to carry children other than a baby seat. I scanned both bikes pretty quickly so I may have missed something, but it looks like the only difference is the battery, 10ah or 14ah if I read correctly. The higher amperage is worth the $250. They come with killer quality tires for an entry level e-bike. Seems like REI has got some smart product developers, I wish more Bafang-equipped ebike companies would follow suit.
e: granted they are both being discontinued

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The more expensive one coming with the front rack is more valuable than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

CopperHound posted:

The more expensive one coming with the front rack is more valuable than you might think.

I didn't notice that, but absolutely a proprietary front rack on a soon-to-be discontinued Chinese-manufactured ebike, if one is in the market, is priceless if you're not a welder or a machinist