Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Honestly surprised this is the take that made you all the maddest; and yes I'm trolling, but because it's funny, not because I'm wrong (I'm right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
turn on your monitors

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You aren't aristotle screaming at ancient rich people that that the earth is round buddy, you're a guy screaming that chemtrails are real at a bunch of internet age adults. Intangibles are a reality and matter quite a lot in terms of outcome. You don't like that announcers lean on this during the draft to explain why an inferior athlete or someone with inferior production/tape goes high. Too bad, just because they and espn writers are largely content farming hacks doesn't mean intangibles aren't real and important. I challenge you to meet up with an NFL scout anywhere in the US and tell them to their face that intangibles are not real or that they do not matter. You will be very embarrassed shortly afterwards.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You severely underestimate what it would take to embarrass me.

Also these NFL scouts hit on about 1/3rd of draft picks and no team, or scout has ever shown a sustained ability to significantly out-perform anyone else; it's a crap shoot.

The Patriots figured this out 20 years ago and learned to just get more picks by trading back, trading expiring contracts, and trading Brady's backup, therby guaranteeing themselves more cheap talent year in and year out than anyone else.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diqnol posted:

You aren't aristotle screaming at ancient rich people that that the earth is round buddy, you're a guy screaming that chemtrails are real at a bunch of internet age adults. Intangibles are a reality and matter quite a lot in terms of outcome. You don't like that announcers lean on this during the draft to explain why an inferior athlete or someone with inferior production/tape goes high. Too bad, just because they and espn writers are largely content farming hacks doesn't mean intangibles aren't real and important. I challenge you to meet up with an NFL scout anywhere in the US and tell them to their face that intangibles are not real or that they do not matter. You will be very embarrassed shortly afterwards.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

You severely underestimate what it would take to embarrass me.

Also these NFL scouts hit on about 1/3rd of draft picks and no team, or scout has ever shown a sustained ability to significantly out-perform anyone else; it's a crap shoot.

The Patriots figured this out 20 years ago and learned to just get more picks by trading back, trading expiring contracts, and trading Brady's backup, therby guaranteeing themselves more cheap talent year in and year out than anyone else.

The same reason why the draft is a crapshoot is the same reason why stats are stupid. Too many variables to take into consideration and even then you can only hope.

The Patriots are also one of the most abysmal teams in the league right now from repeated years of horrific drafting using that strategy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
jesus christ what the gently caress is even happening anymore

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

The Patriots are also one of the most abysmal teams in the league right now from repeated years of horrific drafting using that strategy.

That seems like a pretty weak point. The Patriots’ bullshit worked well for two decades. Yes,, some of it was Tom Brady but a lot of it was restocking the roster year after year with extra picks to mine decent undervalued late round talent. They finally hit the wall, but it’s hard to say it didn’t work.

gently caress I’m agreeing with Bzlargsn .

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t know if morons in this thread are attempting to disparage Belichik and the patriots or what, and I am no fan of the franchise.

But one thing we all saw was how the Patriots would enter training camp with like seven subpar receivers, end up with four making the roster, and then the best one would blow a knee.

Then Belichik would call some dude who was sitting at home on his couch having not played for two years, slot him into the offense, and make it work.

They did the same thing with RBs, and we saw them do this countless times over like a ten year period, many of which ended up in Super Bowl appearances.

That’s an intangible. A Belchik/Patriots intangible.

Here’s another one: the Eagles are loving losers

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 12, 2023

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
That’s true, those fuckers refuse to even show up and play anyone today :colbert:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Diqnol posted:

blarzgh just doesn't have the intangibles needed to be an elite poster.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

MrMojok posted:

Then Belichik would call some dude who was sitting at home on his couch having not played for two years, slot him into the offense, and make it work.

Of course it helps when you have Brady because your slow white receiver from Hofstra only had to be open by a half a yard for half a second and that fucker would deliver the ball right into the receiver’s hands every time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Calling my shot. Eagles will not lose today.

Also, go Giants.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It is indeed laughable that you would leap to “the patriots figured this out” when it only worked because of a generational QB who defined the idea of the QB making the receiver. Ask any Pats fan how they feel about the Billy Five Aces strategy. Or better yet, ask the many many orgs who tried hiring Bill’s guys and incorporating the Patriots way. I’m sure Mark Davis’ hair stylist has some stories to tell!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

predicto posted:

That seems like a pretty weak point. The Patriots’ bullshit worked well for two decades. Yes,, some of it was Tom Brady but a lot of it was restocking the roster year after year with extra picks to mine decent undervalued late round talent. They finally hit the wall, but it’s hard to say it didn’t work.

gently caress I’m agreeing with Bzlargsn .

2009 is when the Patriots started doing their trade back stuff to get more 2nd round picks. Prior to that they made 77 picks over 9 years for 8.5 picks a year with 29 of those picks being a 6th or 7th rounder (only one worked out, guess which one). After that they started to do the trade back into day 2 more often which didn't really work out for them. They hit on some OL and safeties but I'm looking at all the skill position going agh.

Trying to sit around for skill position players to drop will kill your franchise. They've made 116 picks since 2000 and their top skill position was like Gronk --> Hernandez --> Edelman ---> Vereen. They were made by their HOF QB and if anything their drafting murdered any chance of that being a forever dynasty.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Uh, is Brian Daboll ok?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Uh, is Brian Daboll ok?

he got arrested for participating in january 6th

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol. Setting up for some good clown ball.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

jesus christ what the gently caress is even happening anymore

Clownball is happening

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

”HERE WE GOOOOOO”

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Holy poo poo DeVitos family is out of central casting.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ive been out of the loop the past week or so with football stuff and lol. i heard randomly offhand once about a qb named devito but thought it was a joke. and for the new york giants? lmao

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

ive been out of the loop the past week or so with football stuff and lol. i heard randomly offhand once about a qb named devito but thought it was a joke. and for the new york giants? lmao

Everything you are probably thinking about this guy is correct

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

In two weeks he puts the dagger in Mac (if he's still starting) and Bill (if he's still coaching) :sickos:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tommy shares a name with a character from Goodfellas, and looks like he should be on Jersey Shore.

He wears a gold necklace that says TD

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

He discovered football in Bergen county is what he did. He’s a brave Italian quarterback. And in this form Tommy DeVito is a hero. End of story.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
As the son of an Italian from New York, I must support DeVito, no matter how bad he is

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He’s got lots of intangibles

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lmao at calling a cover 0 all out blitz against Dak Fuckin Prescott

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Diqnol posted:

He’s got lots of intangibles

So many, ayyyy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

blarzgh posted:

As the son of an Italian from New York, I must support DeVito, no matter how bad he is

One minute after this post was made, DeVito was slow getting up

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Why do people think Dak sucks??

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Why do people think Dak sucks??

Because Dallas Cowboys and also because of how annoying I am

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Tyron has been holding thibodaux all night and he got away with that one on the touchdown run

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

One minute after this post was made, DeVito was slow getting up

But my boy is Back!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Daboll walking into the GMs office tomorrow morning

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
anybody who believes with an ounce of seriousness that dak sucks is out of their mind

he's lacking intangibles tho

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dak doesn't suck but there seems to be a hard ceiling with him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they should forfeit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think if the Cowboys score 5 minutes into 3rd quarter Fox needs to switch to the Commanders/Seahawks.