Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I played it a few weeks ago and was really pleasantly surprised and can filly recommend playing this.

I played through this yesterday and today and it was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Superrodan posted:

I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

https://jjohnstongames.itch.io/the-roottrees-are-dead

I'm a little over a third into this and I'm loving it so far, very brain-scratchy

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I finished The Talos Principle 2 earlier today, and I already miss it and wish there was more content I could jump into.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I finished The Talos Principle 2 earlier today, and I already miss it and wish there was more content I could jump into.

:same:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
tp2 has not been hard enough to satisfy me yet, at the halfway point. i wish the golden puzzles were accessible sooner

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Venuz Patrol posted:

tp2 has not been hard enough to satisfy me yet, at the halfway point. i wish the golden puzzles were accessible sooner

Same. I'm on South-2 now, and there's only one puzzle that really had me stuck. I asked my wife to look at it, and as we talked through it I figured out the solution.

The only really hard bits have been the statue puzzles, and those are less difficult and more "this island is too big and I don't want to walk for an hour trying to find where the developers hid this keypad".

The easier difficulty isn't a complaint, mind you. There's enough crunch that when I figure out a tricky solution it still feels like an accomplishment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Much like the original game and Road to Gehenna, the main game is something they wanted a wide audience to be able to beat, and we'll probably see a DLC packed with bigger, more challenging puzzles.

Still, I must be worse at puzzles than you all because there were a few puzzles that took me 20+ minutes to beat, and my overall completion time was 30 hours (though I spent a lot of time just wandering around the various levels and taking screenshots). The puzzle difficulty felt about right for me, though I would've liked some extra hard bonus puzzles.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

W3 Puzzle 6 "Mobile Instruments" had me stumped for a while, then I just sprint-jumped off the ledge and landed on the wall inbetween the first blue laser gate and the second blue laser gate lol.

I looked up the proper solution afterward but idk I don't see anything wrong with my way :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the puzzle names quite frequently gave away the solution, they could have done a "hard mode" which simply hid the names

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, TP1 also wasn't hugely difficult for most of the game (except the stars and a few late-game puzzles), they did considerably ramp it up in RtG (and then even further in the star world of RtG), so I also hope they do something similar with TP2.

By the way, what are the prospects of custom puzzles getting made and being good? I remember playing some on the TP1 workshop but not really enjoying them a lot (as opposed to a lot of Portal 2 custom puzzles which I loved), but I'm not sure how to explain the difference. TP1 was on an in-house engine and TP2 is on unity, right? Will that affect the likehood of people making custom maps?

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I know I've struggled with some puzzles, and some I've needed to sleep on before I can solve them. Two or three, I think I've looked up the answer for so far. Several I've spent half an hour banging my head against a wall on. And the first half of the bridge in S3 defeated me earlier today.

Bemused Observer posted:

TP1 was on an in-house engine and TP2 is on unity, right?

TP2 is Unreal 5, which is I think why a number of people are having performance issues with it - it's been a while since there's been a big jump in PC requirements, and people haven't had to upgrade for a bit. I think the devs want to support modding, but who knows how possible it is on Unreal 5?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

repiv posted:

the puzzle names quite frequently gave away the solution, they could have done a "hard mode" which simply hid the names

I'd noticed this, and wondered if the game is more difficult depending on language/localization

The only real grief I've had so far (about 1/3 of the way through) is "Passing Through" on North 2, where I just played around with the elements until I realised I'd got the jammer out of its cage... somehow. I didn't like puzzles based on the slightly weird and arbitrary stacking rules on TTP1, either.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Superrodan posted:

I know everyone is super busy with TP2, but I released a puzzle game today inspired by Obra Dinn and Her Story. It's free to play in-browser, though don't think of it as a flash style game (it takes between 7 and 8 hours to beat minimum.) Please, feel free to check it out and give it a go. If you know anyone outside of SA who is looking for more puzzle recommendations, feel free to share it wherever. I'm just trying to get it out there. Thanks!

I ended up finishing this game this morning and I liked it all the way through. Thanks for sharing!

I was confused on a couple points of logic - namely, A) how you were supposed to figure out Robert's occupation, B) how you were supposed to figure out the order of ages of the Madsen siblings, C) where Tina Angelina came from. I also thought the final test was not nearly as hard as it was built up to be, but i guess as a gay person it was pretty easy for my brain to go "SECRET SIXTH GAY SIBLING" and i like the -idea- of it, especially how it interacts with your assumptions about the established UI. I also was able to guess the identity of the employer pretty soon after I'd gotten the second diary.

saladscooper fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 10, 2023

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

saladscooper posted:

I ended up finishing this game this morning and I liked it all the way through. Thanks for sharing!

I was confused on a couple points of logic - namely, A) how you were supposed to figure out Robert's occupation, B) how you were supposed to figure out the order of ages of the Madsen siblings, C) where Tina Angelina came from. I also thought the final test was not nearly as hard as it was built up to be, but i guess as a gay person it was pretty easy for my brain to go "SECRET SIXTH GAY SIBLING" and i like the -idea- of it, especially how it interacts with your assumptions about the established UI. I also was able to guess the identity of the employer pretty soon after I'd gotten the second diary.

A) Doing a search for "RR Productions" in the Silverscreen Magazine reveals his occupation - the term comes about when investigating "double trouble".
B) Only one of the sibling spouses' has space for a photograph so that must be Ernie's wife from the funeral picture.
C) Doing a general search for "Patricia Christensen" leads to the book.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

saladscooper posted:

chestnut santabag posted:

A) Doing a search for "RR Productions" in the Silverscreen Magazine reveals his occupation - the term comes about when investigating "double trouble".
B) Only one of the sibling spouses' has space for a photograph so that must be Ernie's wife from the funeral picture.
C) Doing a general search for "Patricia Christensen" leads to the book.

Generally these are the right answers although "double trouble" is actually Brother Trouble, a tv show that Ron and Robbie worked on together before Robbie got himself into some hot water. For a bit more detail, when you search Brother Trouble (either online or by looking up Tommy Marc Sheridan in Teen Blast) it mentions Ron Roottree, and when you search online for him, it mentions his company RR productions. Starting there can send you on a small side path through an otherwise missable periodical called Silverscreen Magazine.

As for hint C, you can either search for the person mentioned there or Christensen Steel which is a company she's mentioned with in the diary and they lead to the same general place.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Yeah I never found Silverscreen. I also thought that the funeral picture showed two young girls who were sisters, which tripped me up. I think the high point of the whole game for me was realizing that Sam is a girl, something I'm ashamed to admit I never considered even though the first diary entry about her never uses gendered pronouns to refer to her.

It was a fun game and I hope you get to make more in the future

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I definitely enjoyed The Roottrees are Dead. Definitely a fun mix of Obra Dinn and Her Story. I didn't even figure out that it was using AI-generated art until I saw the creepy child (November) which stood out from the rest of the picture.

I got hung up on a couple things and had to use hints from Discord: 1. I never thought to search individually for Chris Rafferty's email address - turns out it was the only way to get several necessary pieces of information on various kids. 2. Even with the hint numbers on it, I never thought to search separately for the husband from the campaign flyer - which was the only way I found the info about November's job and Elias M's family. I never did figure out the names of the wives of Clancy, Elias, and Edward.

Nitpicks (spoilery): A. I deduced that Robert was a screenwriter based solely on context from the RR Productions search, but I wasn't able to find the Silverscreen magazine article because it was called "Silver screen" in the search and I didn't think to try deleting the space. I thought it was going to turn out that there had been some attempted murders in the family - (so learning during the ending that it was embezzling was a bit meh). B. I was very confused by why/when Lauren switched between Roottree and Rafferty. The game says her birth name is Roottree and her maiden name is Rafferty - but birth name and maiden name mean the same thing! It meant I didn't discover the second diary until well after I'd already figured out most of the insights it had.

Ending thoughts: I had E.C. and his roommate figured out by 41/49. Would have been nice to be able to guess it before filling out 49/49.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I caught the picture of E.C. on the very first glimpse of the 5Pieces, said "secret hunk alert" and then had his mug sitting on my screen for the rest of the game. The moment I read the text about the dotted white line, I knew just enough.

That was an incredible way to end the day, though. I 100%ed Talos Principle 2 and immediately dropped closed it as soon as I hit the Main Menu so that I could come back and play this. Ancestry Detective Game is pure catnip for me, I loved every minute of it.

e: it did feel a little bit weird that the major plot twist was hunky gay farmhands considering Eloise and Caroline were together, but I guess those were old-timey hunky gay farmhands

bawk fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 11, 2023

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Unponderable posted:

Nitpicks (spoilery): I was very confused by why/when Lauren switched between Roottree and Rafferty. The game says her birth name is Roottree and her maiden name is Rafferty - but birth name and maiden name mean the same thing! It meant I didn't discover the second diary until well after I'd already figured out most of the insights it had.

AAAAH. Why did I write "maiden name" when I meant to write "married name"??? HOW COULD I HAVE DONE THIS. Thank you for catching that when nobody else did (including a bunch of playtesters!) Luckily I think I only did it in one place that most people don't usually find. In the article about her you find online I think it's correct, its just wrong in a newspaper.

Also some other concerns you and other people had here will be addressed in the next build. One picture now looks like this. Leaving unspoiled because I think seeing this doesn't mean anything unless you've played the game anyway:

As for the Silver Screen magazine thing that was intentional, but I think poorly executed. It was meant to be like the person in question didn't exactly know what they were talking about. If you spidersearch it the wrong way it tells you the right way. I made it a tiny bit clearer that it's on purpose by changing the text to this, which makes what I was going for come across better I think:
There's not much relevant information about Robbie Roottree. In a comment thread on a message board about television cliches you find a thread called "Why was Brother Trouble cancelled", one user speculates:

"I think it's because the writing went really downhill in Season 2. They actually had an episode where Roxie was addicted to sniffing markers."

Another person replied:
"mabee its due to the rumor about robbie roottree in silver screen magazene"

There is a link to some kind of article, but it appears to be dead.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 11, 2023

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I played through all of TP1 and only when watching a speedrun did I realise you could use items like the disrupters to jump over barriers. Is this a glitch or how you're supposed to get the stars? I only manage to find 9. I thought the game lost its momentum near the end, a lot of the hall 3 puzzles seemed like they were running out of ideas and getting sloppy (ones where the crystal placements have to be pixel perfect, or the one where you have to use two boxes to hold in the flying bomb). Lots of boilerplate levels where you have to liberate all the pieces before you start solving. Having to repeat the whole level on the tower section if you fail felt pretty cheap and killed the pacing near the end. You can pad the middle of a game but you shouldn't pad the ending, I just want to see how the story ends and having to repeat sections in a puzzle game makes no sense because I already know what to do.

Downloading TP2 now. The voice acting is pretty off putting from what I've seen in the trailers but whatever. Turns out there's DLC for the first one, is it any good? Steam didn't bother to tell me about it despite me completing the game and having 20 hours in it. If I didn't read about it online I wouldn't even have thought, it's not even mentioned in the game main menu. Thinking about it, Steam's front page doesn't even tell me about TP2 even though I just completed the other one, I had to search for it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pisshead posted:

I played through all of TP1 and only when watching a speedrun did I realise you could use items like the disrupters to jump over barriers. Is this a glitch or how you're supposed to get the stars?

Definitely a glitch. Stars in TP1 usually either involve finding a more complex solution to a puzzle, have you chaining lasers between puzzles, or require finding ways to remove puzzle pieces from a puzzle chamber to be used elsewhere.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just cleared the south areas in TP2 and going back to the hub in the middle I had a thought. Are these insects chirping in morse code or am I hearing things? I'd upload a video but I haven't found a good place to host mp4s after gfycat died and I can't get imgur to upload with sound.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's hosed up that talos 2 doesn't have a developer island with weird bobblehead versions of the staff wandering around

unless nobody has found it yet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just cleared the south areas in TP2 and going back to the hub in the middle I had a thought. Are these insects chirping in morse code or am I hearing things? I'd upload a video but I haven't found a good place to host mp4s after gfycat died and I can't get imgur to upload with sound.

If there's any sort of insect puzzle at all, then it's something extra-secret and not related to 100%ing the game.

repiv posted:

it's hosed up that talos 2 doesn't have a developer island with weird bobblehead versions of the staff wandering around

unless nobody has found it yet

I hope we can get a Serious Sam voicepack

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm in the middle of North 2 in Talos and one thing that's really impressive is how unique each hub has been so far. I would never mix up East 1 and East 3.

The puzzles are fairly simple so far, but almost all of them are satisfying. It's also great to see all the new weird tools, they just look so cool.

Speaking of, are there any cool easter eggs? I know Talos 1 had some really hidden ones, but others were fairly easy to find and I'm surprised I haven't seen any.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Talos 2: I think my least favorite puzzle so far is one of the stars in East 3. The one with the picture of the statue and the X marks the spot. I immediately understood what it wanted from me, but the etching on the plaque is so distorted/washed out/inaccurate. The trees are all in different places, and it's not clear what's supposed to be ground, what's supposed to be water, what's supposed to be reflection to the point where it's not even clear if the perspective is supposed to be from a place you can actually stand or if it's a zoomed in shot from an aerial perspective, which makes the search space enormous. Especially doesn't help that the switch is on a structure that doesn't exist in the etching. It was actually the first place I looked, but I was focused on the more obscure parts of it that you wouldn't see from the road, so I missed the one face that had the switch and spent almost an hour on a wild goose chance examining everything everything that was plausibly to the right of the statue but to the left of the elevator.

It felt like (The Witness spoiler) the visual version of those dickhead audio puzzles from The Witness where you're supposed to listen for a bird song while a jackhammer, a wolf, a phone, and a different but identical-sounding bird scream at you.

Oh well, at least it's done with now.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally getting around to playing the original Talos Principle so I can have proper context for the second one. There are a lot of interesting details to spot even if I don't really have context for them yet.

Even though this seems to be a simulation of some kind you can make out a structure on the moon. Making the moon a physical object so it shows parallax against the stars is a nice subtle touch like the glitching trees and walls to make the simulation feel off.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finally getting around to playing the original Talos Principle so I can have proper context for the second one. There are a lot of interesting details to spot even if I don't really have context for them yet.

Even though this seems to be a simulation of some kind you can make out a structure on the moon. Making the moon a physical object so it shows parallax against the stars is a nice subtle touch like the glitching trees and walls to make the simulation feel off.

i havent played all of talos 1 yet.

...what happens if you point a laser at it?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Making the moon a physical object so it shows parallax against the stars is a nice subtle touch like the glitching trees and walls to make the simulation feel off.[/spoiler]

I don't know if you want to know the below because it purely falls into the realm of "could be considered by some to be a spoiler" and "the mildest of spoilers", so I'm giving you this super vague warning before you decide to hover over the below. The stuff you pointed out about the simulation reminded me of kind of a major easter egg (hence not knowing whether to spoil this or not) in the game that I thought was pretty cool that you might wanna keep an eye out for in the future:

Did you play Portal 2? If so, keep in mind the ending of Portal 2

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Realized what the object was after clearing the area and still having the star missing, don't know where it is yet but I'm guessing that's how you route the laser. Most of the stars have been hidden in clever ways so far despite one or two in obvious locations, nothing too obtuse like you might get from a Jonathan Blow game. A handful still missing in the first area but I'm trying to be thorough and grab as many as I can as I go along, they're tied to doors in the overworld so I assume you need them all for the best ending.

e: Or it's just an easter egg? Nice detail either way.

e2: Found the actual star after missing the side passage in the temple repeatedly for about 30 minutes.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 13, 2023

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think so far the only thing I don't like about Talos 2 are the star puzzles. Quite a few of them are samey, and while it's understandable that they need some indicator of what to do, Stars in Talos 1 were much more mysterious.
Maybe they'll grow in complexity, but at least half of them are "chase the blue flame to the statue" and "connect the laser here". Even the Sphynx puzzles are fairly simple, with 3 out of 4 so far providing me with a basic map. The only one I have no idea about is from East 2 which just says 2 4 5 6 if I recall. Haven't explored it much, though, maybe it'll be obvious once I look around those puzzles.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I think the stars in TTP1 were a bit too obscure at times (I think RTG handled them better, since they were easier to see and the challenge was more in getting to them than locating them in the first place), but the ones in TTP2 are too straightforward to get (I liked the Pandora ones, but that's that).

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Superrodan posted:

Finished the game today, loved every minute of it and I hope you get to make more stuff like this!

Incidentally, was it intentional that you can entirely bypass some evidence? The quotes that showed up during the final conversation with the employer had several sources that were clearly important (in particular the court case and Tina Angelina) which I never came across. Was I just lucky with some guesses or did you actively plan for there being multiple paths to the solution?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Talos 2, West-2 outdoors mild spoilers.

If you find the hidden drill, you can break out an item that lets you cheat at a lot of the regular puzzles. I don't recommend doing this on a first playthrough, but it was fun figuring out how to abuse that.

More specific spoiler: The drill is hidden right outside puzzle 4, and you can use the items inside the completed puzzle to break it out. Then go find a metal wall to drill, grab the item inside, and... you can figure it out from there.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 13, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whew. the site had gone down/gotten squatted on so it's good to know his games haven't disappeared from the internet (though they probably are available at the internet archive anyway). any puzzle fan should play his Mac games (3 in Three, At the Carnival, etc)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 13, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The stars were definitely the biggest letdown, I remember seeings some esoteric poo poo in TP1 that just doesnt seem to get as complex in TP2. The 24 stars are (mostly) extremely straightforward, the Prometheus ones are not all that interesting except for a few times you jump on stuff that you dont think you can jump on, but I never found anywhere to go to after reaching the point you needed for the sprite. Sphinx ones just required referencing the plaque a couple times. The Pandora ones were generally good, I think my favorite was in S2, but the one in W2 was the biggest letdown overall and really soured me on how cool the Star puzzles seemed in 1 vs how much simpler and streamlined they were in 2 and how difficult/secretive they could have made them.

I spent a solid hour in the tutorial area because I knew getting out of bounds was integral to finding secrets in TP1, and I felt so smart when i was running around OOB and getting reset by Elohim for wandering too far. Then I got to the main game and I just... never needed to get OOB again to get 100%. :geno:

I should just go play 1

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Talos 2, West-2 outdoors mild spoilers.

If you find the hidden drill, you can break out an item that lets you cheat at a lot of the regular puzzles. I don't recommend doing this on a first playthrough, but it was fun figuring out how to abuse that.

More specific spoiler: The drill is hidden right outside puzzle 4, and you can use the items inside the completed puzzle to break it out. Then go find a metal wall to drill, grab the item inside, and... you can figure it out from there.
I found the drill-wall, but had so much trouble finding the drill I just stole an Activator from a room instead to complete the Pandora monument. I then looked up a guide to see what the intended solution would've been turns out they also couldn't find it and suggested stealing an Activator

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bemused Observer posted:

Finished the game today, loved every minute of it and I hope you get to make more stuff like this!

Incidentally, was it intentional that you can entirely bypass some evidence? The quotes that showed up during the final conversation with the employer had several sources that were clearly important (in particular the court case and Tina Angelina) which I never came across. Was I just lucky with some guesses or did you actively plan for there being multiple paths to the solution?

I intended people to potentially miss two things, mostly because I like in detective stories when the reveal is 90 percent "I knew it!' and 10 percent "Oh, how did I miss that?". The first is the book you mentioned, and the second is the Original candy advertisement with the old initials. Most people find the curt case when searching for the financial pieces of the mystery.

The final mystery is not meant to be hard. My original thought was that it should be very difficult, but I was worried it was impossible and that people would get there would think "I never could have known this". That's why I added in the "names" diary entry. The result was that almost everyone I playtested it with would dance around the more subtle clues for a while, then read that for the first time in a while and new context would create a "AHA!" moment. I realized only then that that's how it should have been all along. It feels kind of bad to finish a mystery off by not solving it, and anything that can make the player have that sherlock moment but not just force feed it to them is a good note to end on.

I'm pretty happy with how my game ends, especially compared to its inspiration. I love Obra Dinn, but the final chapter unlocking seemed just a tiny bit unsatisfying with how much it built up and how what was in it didn't feel like some big reveal to me about what the shells were or something along those lines. I don't know if that was just me or if it was a somewhat common feeling.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I found the drill-wall, but had so much trouble finding the drill I just stole an Activator from a room instead to complete the Pandora monument. I then looked up a guide to see what the intended solution would've been turns out they also couldn't find it and suggested stealing an Activator

I lucked out and found it by accident while solving the nearby puzzle. Also how I found most of the "shoot a laser outside the level" contacts, just doing other things and hear the click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Superrodan posted:

I intended people to potentially miss two things, mostly because I like in detective stories when the reveal is 90 percent "I knew it!' and 10 percent "Oh, how did I miss that?". The first is the book you mentioned, and the second is the Original candy advertisement with the old initials. Most people find the curt case when searching for the financial pieces of the mystery.

The final mystery is not meant to be hard. My original thought was that it should be very difficult, but I was worried it was impossible and that people would get there would think "I never could have known this". That's why I added in the "names" diary entry. The result was that almost everyone I playtested it with would dance around the more subtle clues for a while, then read that for the first time in a while and new context would create a "AHA!" moment. I realized only then that that's how it should have been all along. It feels kind of bad to finish a mystery off by not solving it, and anything that can make the player have that sherlock moment but not just force feed it to them is a good note to end on.

I'm pretty happy with how my game ends, especially compared to its inspiration. I love Obra Dinn, but the final chapter unlocking seemed just a tiny bit unsatisfying with how much it built up and how what was in it didn't feel like some big reveal to me about what the shells were or something along those lines. I don't know if that was just me or if it was a somewhat common feeling.

Thanks for the clarification; and yeah, the game is very good at delivering the "AHA!" moments, great job on that!