Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

concerned, echi. you say nonsense like this all the time, and if you actually think it's appropriate for kids to do antisocial stuff like that, then something is wrong.

assholes _always_ find some reason why their victim deserves it. children especially are not capable of acting as impartial judges of who "deserves" to have their things destroyed. adults are generally also not good at that, which is why we have things like legal systems and general societal rules of "don't be a tremendous piece of poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

is it the rich people that end up in the assisted living places? maybe all the rich people live at home idk

your son should do some research, figure this out. that’ll set him straight

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Perplx posted:

I give my kid a raspberry on his belly so he bends forward

this is brilliant will try next time, shes gotten better since then it was just a random like two week period. i think maybe she was realizing independence but not able to express it because shes gotten very independent lately but we can actually work with her and shes expressing her wants better.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jfc are we fed up with every evening ending up as either a screaming meltdown or wrestling or both to get this child to do something she actually wants to do. get in the bath? Meltdown. Get out? Meltdown. rinse and repeat.

sometimes I think she's gonna hurt herself properly (as opposed to just bonking into things while flinging herself about) because she's going to twist something out of a socket while we're trying to pin her down to put pajamas on

then once she's in bed, fast asleep in <10 minutes as if nothing happened

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh sounds like she's getting overtired. put her down earlier, or at least start the routine earlier so that the hard parts are already finished

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

tbh sounds like she's getting overtired. put her down earlier, or at least start the routine earlier so that the hard parts are already finished

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Achmed Jones posted:

nth. ours is dropping midday naps and starts to go sicko mode around 7 on the dot

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Does incentivizing your kids with toys, treats, extra tv time ect actually work? we're trying to get my 5yo to sleep in her own bed all night long and my wife wants to start giving her little toys and stuff as a reward if she actually does it. I'm on board if it works but the thought of just adding more plastic crap that my kid will play with for 2 minutes then forget about just fills me with dread. I went to the dollar store and couldn't even buy anything to try this because it just seems so sad and wasteful. is there anything else we could try?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

food

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the idea is to use the bribes to form a habit. it works. what works - treats, screen time, simple praise, little toys, etc - depends on the kid, what they care about, etc

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Achmed Jones posted:

concerned, echi. you say nonsense like this all the time, and if you actually think it's appropriate for kids to do antisocial stuff like that, then something is wrong.

assholes _always_ find some reason why their victim deserves it. children especially are not capable of acting as impartial judges of who "deserves" to have their things destroyed. adults are generally also not good at that, which is why we have things like legal systems and general societal rules of "don't be a tremendous piece of poo poo"

lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
help, police, im a Victim of Teen Graffiti :qq:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Sure Bill that owns the cafe sexually harasses the teenage girls that work there and steals their tips, but they're too young to know if that's "bad"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah maybe idk. I mean we talk about whatever a lot and I’m trying to show him that if you really want to destroy the ruling class then getting pinged for petty vandalism is going to hamper future efforts

it’s hard for me to get too concerned because I really do think he’s all talk, and there’s a spirit of rebellion (say gently caress no to rules man) that I see that I have in me, and I’d hate someone to take that away from me, and conversely it’s difficult for me to feel like that part of him is “bad” or concerning. chicks dig rebels and that’s a tale as old as time

so far the extent of his rebellion is skateboarding around these retiree communities. imo that’s 14yo praxis

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I’m really reluctant to physically restrain my children, sure if they are going to hurt themselves or their siblings. But I’ve found it’s better to say: “OK, no toothbrush today” which 99.9% of the time results in refocusing the tantrum into wanting to get their teeth brushed and me being able to help them regulating by being calm and telling them
that of course I’ll help them.

We used to pin them to get it done but I realized that them being forced through it and us feeling like poo poo about it is absolutely not worth something as simple as brushing your teeth. What’s the harm in not doing that just one night?

I don’t know how it is for you specifically, but I’ve found that quashing the instinct to go “respect my authority” and instead evaluating if something is worth a fight or not has been a good choice for me. It so easy to get tunnel vision and not realizing that you are feeding their tantrum and not starving it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zokie posted:

I’m really reluctant to physically restrain my children, sure if they are going to hurt themselves or their siblings. But I’ve found it’s better to say: “OK, no toothbrush today” which 99.9% of the time results in refocusing the tantrum into wanting to get their teeth brushed and me being able to help them regulating by being calm and telling them
that of course I’ll help them.

We used to pin them to get it done but I realized that them being forced through it and us feeling like poo poo about it is absolutely not worth something as simple as brushing your teeth. What’s the harm in not doing that just one night?

I don’t know how it is for you specifically, but I’ve found that quashing the instinct to go “respect my authority” and instead evaluating if something is worth a fight or not has been a good choice for me. It so easy to get tunnel vision and not realizing that you are feeding their tantrum and not starving it.

This is an extremely important lesson that it took me entirely too long to internalize.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah and ultimately it’s a decision about how do you want to teach your kids is an appropriate way to get someone to do what they don’t want to do?

because there’s a very very simple thing I’ve learned as a parent and that is that your kids don’t do what you tell them to do, they do what they see you do

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

idk I don't spend 99% of the day with my finger up my nose yet my 3.5yo seems to consider it life-critical that he do so.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
evolution takes time
my friend

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

Destroy systems, no people.

echinopsis posted:

if you really want to destroy the ruling class then getting pinged for petty vandalism is going to hamper future efforts
"what are you actually accomplishing" and "don't get caught" are also important lessons.

Arson Daily posted:

Does incentivizing your kids with toys, treats, extra tv time ect actually work? we're trying to get my 5yo to sleep in her own bed all night long and my wife wants to start giving her little toys and stuff as a reward if she actually does it. I'm on board if it works but the thought of just adding more plastic crap that my kid will play with for 2 minutes then forget about just fills me with dread. I went to the dollar store and couldn't even buy anything to try this because it just seems so sad and wasteful. is there anything else we could try?
physical things we don't really do because we'd like our house to stay navigable, but we do this constantly with extra screen time, treats etc. Even a 5YO can tidy up a dishwasher *extremely* effectively when there's candy on the line.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 13, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

idk I don't spend 99% of the day with my finger up my nose yet my 3.5yo seems to consider it life-critical that he do so.

Sounds like you're missing out

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is good stuff ty. I think we've maybe been too much trying to avoid backing down and so encouraging "if I have a tantrum I will get what I want" but we'll see.

she will wash her drat hands after going to the toilet though :mad:

also yeah, she's dropping her nap just about so winding bedtime back a bit is probably a good idea.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
in my experience, it’s been that the kid reacts to what I do or say and mimics what their peers do.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
when it comes to going to the toilet I’m of the opinion that if daddy is doing the wiping &c and they aren’t really touching anything, then I won’t force them to wash their hands because they don’t magically become dirty just because you went potty. They gotta wash their hands before we eat or whatever still

kinda reverse of looking both ways even if the light is green.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MrQueasy posted:

in my experience, it’s been that the kid reacts to what I do or say and mimics what their peers do.

ours goes to a private school with an emphasis on community and being a good citizen so their peers are pretty chill, but when she goes to summer camp at the Y with the hoi polloi she comes home with some real jerkface habits lmao

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

zokie posted:

A side note on the tactics of discipline, I don't think pinning a kid and forcing them to brush their teeth (or to do anything, really) is a good consequence. Not because I'm morally or emotionally against corporal punishment, but because I've never seen the threatened consequence of wrestling a kid to the floor actually change their behavior. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good fight? Sometimes the fight is worth it even if you lose. I wouldn't be surprised if kids are predisposed to brush it off when they get trounced in any particular scuffle, since time immemorial children have been picking fights they are destined to lose. Wrestling pigs, etc.

It's not hard to find consequences your child will dislike, but finding consequences your children will work to avoid is a whole different, involved story.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my kids are super into barbies rn and they tend to cycle through toy categories to be into on a like quarterly basis. I’ve found that taking their toys as a consequence works better than time outs or whatever else

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Corla Plankun posted:

ours goes to a private school with an emphasis on community and being a good citizen so their peers are pretty chill, but when she goes to summer camp at the Y with the hoi polloi she comes home with some real jerkface habits lmao
this reminds me of a couple months back when i took mini logins to legoland in toronto. high admission price of course so “hoi polloi” factor screened out

while my kid was making a lego technic car, i saw an 7 year old boy had made one too and was waiting in line to run it down a big test ramp. the boy in front of him (maybe one year older) tried to snatch it from him laughing about how he wanted race 2 at the same time. the 7 y/o stood his ground and said he didn’t want him to do that, as he had worked on it for a long time and wanted to test it himself

the older kid gets right up in his face and screams “SHARING IS CARING AND YOU’RE NOT SHARING!!”

as we all already know his parent was on the other side of the room on their phone

the use of that language specifically was pretty ironic and lol. hawking over my kid was +ev in that jungle

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Kenny Logins posted:

“SHARING IS CARING AND YOU’RE NOT SHARING!!”

Lol the ethical quandaries of the schoolyard

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
lol ive been resting my boy on my shoulder because he will typically cry in any other position and my neck hurts 24/7 will this go away or is this something that happen to people who have kids in their mid 30s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ll let you know when I hit mid 30s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the missus is due in June after some assumptions about timing and ability while breastfeeding turned out to be incorrect lol

it was funny because I was like “hey wanna play the lottery? if we win we get a baby” and she was like “it’s not a lottery since I’m supposed to start my cycle tomorrow and I’m breastfeeding”

when she didn’t start the he next day I was kinda concerned but then I forgot about it until a test showed up on my pillow a couple weeks ago :3:

anyways, it’ll be fun. we had a newborn and an 18mo once before, so at least it won’t be new territory for us on that front

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the missus is due in June after some assumptions about timing and ability while breastfeeding turned out to be incorrect lol

it was funny because I was like “hey wanna play the lottery? if we win we get a baby” and she was like “it’s not a lottery since I’m supposed to start my cycle tomorrow and I’m breastfeeding”

when she didn’t start the he next day I was kinda concerned but then I forgot about it until a test showed up on my pillow a couple weeks ago :3:

anyways, it’ll be fun. we had a newborn and an 18mo once before, so at least it won’t be new territory for us on that front

A vasectomy allows you to spin the roulette wheel as many times as you'd like, but you never lose.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volmarias posted:

A vasectomy allows you to spin the roulette wheel as many times as you'd like, but you never lose.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Volmarias posted:

well, we were thinking about having four anyways, just waiting to try for another year or so lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

well, we were thinking about having four anyways, just waiting to try for another year or so lol

Congrats, you have reached your planned quota. Detach your nuts and face towards bloodshed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

:chanpop:

Volmarias posted:

infertility is my secret weapon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wonder what happened here lol coz, at least theoretically, should not be able to get pregs couple days before a period.

recently been studying this regarding emergency contraceptives and when they are effective, when they can’t work, etc etc. anyway. maybe you just have unreal ejaculate. in fact that’s likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

wonder what happened here lol coz, at least theoretically, should not be able to get pregs couple days before a period.

recently been studying this regarding emergency contraceptives and when they are effective, when they can’t work, etc etc. anyway. maybe you just have unreal ejaculate. in fact that’s likely

it’s possible her cycle was still inconsistent since she had only started getting them again the previous month, so obviously in hindsight gambling was riskier that what it appeared lol

our second and third kids were conceived during the “practice” attempt prior to our plan of trying a lot the following month lol