Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I threw some FLACs on my Plex for funsies and, oh god, oh no, I'm devastated to report that they actually sound MUCH better than Spotify. This can only lead to bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Talorat posted:

I threw some FLACs on my Plex for funsies and, oh god, oh no, I'm devastated to report that they actually sound MUCH better than Spotify. This can only lead to bad things.

Plexamp is my go to music playing app while mobile now. Aside from discovery, it's 1000x better than spotify, and I don't have to worry about accidentally running into AI generated music or podcasts.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HKR posted:

AI generated music or podcasts.

Is this a thing? I use youtube music, and have not come across any.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

deong posted:

Is this a thing? I use youtube music, and have not come across any.

I'm not sure about youtube music proper, but there are tons of "jazz" style streaming music channels playing the same piano with jazz drums style music all over. Same with a lot of "chill" music channels.

There are no AI generated podcasts that I'm aware of, that was just bad sentencing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HKR posted:

I'm not sure about youtube music proper, but there are tons of "jazz" style streaming music channels playing the same piano with jazz drums style music all over. Same with a lot of "chill" music channels.

There are no AI generated podcasts that I'm aware of, that was just bad sentencing.

Its probably predicting the future tbh

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HKR posted:

Planet Money did one already.

https://www.npr.org/series/1178395718/planet-money-makes-an-episode-using-ai

It's worth a listen.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

HKR posted:

Plexamp is my go to music playing app while mobile now. Aside from discovery, it's 1000x better than spotify, and I don't have to worry about accidentally running into AI generated music or podcasts.

Hard same. The only downside is that once I started using Plexamp full time my bandcamp expenditure went through the roof.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Hard same. The only downside is that once I started using Plexamp full time my bandcamp expenditure went through the roof.

Guh.

I'm looking at this one bandcamp page thinking "Complete discography for only $80? Wow!"

I need somebody to stop me.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

cruft posted:

Guh.

I'm looking at this one bandcamp page thinking "Complete discography for only $80? Wow!"

I need somebody to stop me.

That someone is not me, my friend

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Hi,

Who do I kill about the UI/UX for tdarr?

Thanks in advance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Please get in a few stabs for me, thanks.

(I've got it all set up to do things automatically so fortunately I haven't had to look at the UI for months)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chillmatic posted:

Hi,

Who do I kill about the UI/UX for tdarr?

Thanks in advance.

Yeh it sucks, thankfully once it was up and running I never bothered with it again. Still seems to be up and running though which is nice.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've never heard of tdarr hm let me just visit their website,

oh dear god

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

csammis posted:

I've never heard of tdarr hm let me just visit their website,

oh dear god

C'mon, it can be that...

:dawkins101:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

C'mon, it can be that...

This is like those joke challenges that web devs do to design the worst way to do something...

https://i.imgur.com/mAGYMo6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zRFUUtI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QrbNt2L.mp4

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The tdarr devs also seemed to be completely mystified by my very normal use case of “I want to transcode every huge remux I have down to a more sane file size” which is shockingly difficult to set up reliably in tdarr. The philosophy behind it is apparently “filters” so instead of performing a batch job on a bunch of media (normal, sane) you have to setup pipelines that can get stuck recursively transcoding the same media file forever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

The tdarr devs also seemed to be completely mystified by my very normal use case of “I want to transcode every huge remux I have down to a more sane file size” which is shockingly difficult to set up reliably in tdarr. The philosophy behind it is apparently “filters” so instead of performing a batch job on a bunch of media (normal, sane) you have to setup pipelines that can get stuck recursively transcoding the same media file forever.

You fool! Pipelines are where the power comes from!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

EVIL Gibson posted:

C'mon, it can be that...

gross
(and an extra 2 dozen for luck)

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Talorat posted:

It’s like they saw Blender and doubled down on everything annoying about it

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I'm realizing tdarr sucks because it exists at an unlikely intersection of users and use cases.

To use it properly you need a good understanding of

1. Your playback client
2. Your users' playback clients
3. Possible future playback clients
4. General hardware, software, and networking/sysadmin (if you're setting up server/nodes for tdarr)
5. Video codecs
6. Audio codecs
7. Plex's transcoding quirks
8. Subtitle functionality
9. The overall state of your media library (aka what formats do you already have, how consistent--or not--is it, etc
10. The fact that you might destroy everything your family and friends like to watch
11. Comfortably able to navigate simple scripting languages

And if you know all that stuff already, you probably don't *need* a fancy frontend to automate something you could do for yourself with much less mental load than trying to reason about someone else's dogshit impression of a user experience.

People give poo poo to Apple for not allowing the user to customize the experience, but holy gently caress tdarr is what the world looks like when you give your users every opportunity to blow their foot off, hidden behind the worst UI this side of zbrush

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the very reason I use Apple products and don’t care about lack of customization is because I very much remember those XP desktop customization overlays and the absolute horrors they unleashed. Still to this day you see people with android phones and the most hellish font choices. You shouldn’t be allowed to customize anything in your life before you get a 5* island on Animal Crossing.

Personally I could never be bothered to deal with tdarr. If I can’t find the fileset at a quality/size level I want then I’ll just do it in handbrake myself, when I want.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just added a 40$ video card and don't worry about transcoding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I just added a 40$ video card and don't worry about transcoding.

I did that and set up tdarr to make everything h.265 for space. Works for me, but I totally get others have different goals of quality/etc.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m looking at retiring my 2017 shield and was considering an ATV. Any issues or quirks with plex on that? Some comments in slickdeals implies there was but I’m not sure if it’s actual issues or just things like no atmos pass through or a weird codec not being supported

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m looking at retiring my 2017 shield and was considering an ATV. Any issues or quirks with plex on that? Some comments in slickdeals implies there was but I’m not sure if it’s actual issues or just things like no atmos pass through or a weird codec not being supported

the new TVs still have the atmos pass through issue, and I've noticed issues with VC-1 encodes, despite being direct played, not playing all that well on them. I've also had occasional 4K stuttering issues. I switched back to the 2019 shield pro and have had zero issues with that.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

WhyteRyce posted:

AFAIK Shields are still the only streaming device from any that actually passthrough all movie audio formats. Not a big deal for most people but something to be aware of. I don't believe ATV4k will passthrough lossless Dolby (TrueHD) and AFAIK it doesn't do DTS at all (both lossy & lossless). In terms of general use though, I bought my parents an ATV4k last xmas and in my experience with it works well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The audio pass through stuff I'm aware of and, while disappointing, is not a deal breaker. The stuttering on the other hand would be.

I was looking at the 2019 shield and was already on the fence about paying that much for something so old. The comments in the SD thread about it feeling old and slow, random app quirks that require force closing or reboots, etc. is all the poo poo my 2017 shield does, so I'm probably going to skip that as well.

I'm going to end up with that new Fire Cube 3 aren't I? Or just limp along on my 2017 shield until nvidia decides to refresh it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I may have had a video or two not play correctly on ATV via plex but nothing recently and it's really infrequent now. It's rock solid whenever I use it now, and has the benefit of easily syncing my airpods to listen to audio if it's late at night and I want to keep it quiet.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

If you’re already within the Apple ecosystem, then the ATV is a no-brainer.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The Apple ecosystem is a hard dealbreaker for me, but I've used an AppleTV at a relative's house. The software and video quality is fine, but so is everything else's. I do not know how anyone deals with the Apple TV remote without throwing it through the nearest window. It's godawful. And I've used at least two different versions. The first was dogshit. The more recent is just bullshit.

Also Disney+ log in on phone on same network does not work.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you really hate the apple tv remote you can just use some other remote. I use my television remote to control it sometimes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Nope just use infuse as the plex client

Light the (Apple TV) beam

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple TV can’t output loss truehd. Pretty niche but some care.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 18, 2023

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

WhyteRyce posted:

I have to swap between the "old" and "new" video player options on a lot of 4k/HDR/x265 stuff on plex on apple tv. Weird audio desync stuff happens sometimes. Never had a single problem at all on 1080/x264/streaming stuff though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So, some 4K issues have been resolved in the last year so the team are definitely paying attention.

Previously there was something in the encoding profile that Disney+ among others used, so despite being lower bitrates they would still consistently stutter. I’ve played back files that were known bad recently, and they work fine now.

There is an issue that is still there, and usually shows itself in high intensity scenes and it’s taken a while, but it looks like it’s down to the player using CPU to playback. As the ATV is a drat capable box nobody noticed this was happening, it’s usually fine but it’s getting thermal throttled and showing itself in some scenes. It’s likely supposed to be using the GPU, so now this is revealed it’s probably in the fix pipeline. Personally it’s not an issue for me, it’s noticeable but rare enough it doesn’t put me off. Infuse uses the GPU so doesn’t have this drawback, but yuck infuse isn’t anywhere near as nice an app to use imo.

Still #1 client imo, I don’t have a full surround system these days and my ears are made of mud anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
AppleTV means you can use Infuse which is the best.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah for some reason the Plex ATV app got real jittery for me when playing back movies like almost a year ago. And it was never great with 4K/HDR files. But you can use Infuse, which connects to your Plex server and plays everything back beautifully, but also costs 99 cents a month. They have a lifetime sub that costs like 80 dollars, but at 99c per month it would take like 6 years for that to be worth it and I'm banking on Plex fixing their issues before then. :cool:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They fixed most of them ages ago, it’s just the thermal throttling issue that pops up now and again now which I personally find dealable and don’t bother with Infuse anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I was using Infuse for 4k stuff years back but at this point I think all the issues that kept it around have been resoled. Dolby Vision support wast the last thing that was spotty for me, but I just haven't gone in on it anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.