Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

We don’t say that name here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welp, game bugged out and won’t give me the last 3 emf missions. No platinum for me I guess

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

omg chael crash posted:

What's really funny is how obvious it is whether someone reads comics or not when they find out about that. I watched someone see Knull's symbol on a whiteboard in Connors' secret lab being all "what's this?" and their chat was like "OMG! Comic book reference! This is so cool, streamer!"

Meanwhile, another person who played it immediately reacted in disgust the second they realized the game included references to Knull at all and had a big laugh about it. :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was watching some clips from the Venom movies (which I haven't actually seen yet), and it unironically owns that those movies made Venom into Cookie Monster, only with human brains instead of cookies.

omg chael crash posted:

As someone unfamiliar with any Spider-man comics after the mid-90s, I guess they created some sort of retcon (or I guess just "lore addition") that the symbiotes were created by this Knull guy?

Sounds goofy. From googling, this guy doesn't look anything like what I'd assume "a source of the symbiotes" to look like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ytlaya posted:

I was watching some clips from the Venom movies (which I haven't actually seen yet), and it unironically owns that those movies made Venom into Cookie Monster, only with human brains instead of cookies.

As someone unfamiliar with any Spider-man comics after the mid-90s, I guess they created some sort of retcon (or I guess just "lore addition") that the symbiotes were created by this Knull guy?

Sounds goofy. From googling, this guy doesn't look anything like what I'd assume "a source of the symbiotes" to look like.

The first Venom is a surprisingly enjoyable movie. Tom Hardy plays off the CGI funny Venom voice (also Hardy) pretty well.

And then the second one came and it's like "this is why we can't have nice things"

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

amigolupus posted:

What's really funny is how obvious it is whether someone reads comics or not when they find out about that. I watched someone see Knull's symbol on a whiteboard in Connors' secret lab being all "what's this?" and their chat was like "OMG! Comic book reference! This is so cool, streamer!"

Meanwhile, another person who played it immediately reacted in disgust the second they realized the game included references to Knull at all and had a big laugh about it. :v:

What's the deal with Knull hate? I'm not familiar with the character, only know him from Marvel Snap (and this I guess?)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

What's the deal with Knull hate? I'm not familiar with the character, only know him from Marvel Snap (and this I guess?)

Might be wrong about this but I think they retconned some well liked, previously unconnected stuff to be his doing or related to him, not just the obvious Symbiote stuff either. Then they spent ages building up to him and like many things in comics, the buildup was cool but the actual event was underwhelming. So he got massive, sudden overexposure and then the payoff to him being the focus for what felt like ages was not worth it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1723343571666002062?s=20

Oh hey, game becomes reality!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Might be wrong about this but I think they retconned some well liked, previously unconnected stuff to be his doing or related to him, not just the obvious Symbiote stuff either. Then they spent ages building up to him and like many things in comics, the buildup was cool but the actual event was underwhelming. So he got massive, sudden overexposure and then the payoff to him being the focus for what felt like ages was not worth it.

He looks like a loving WoW character and not the God of sentient alien goo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me the whole Knull business was just running an idea even further into the ground. Like remember when Spider-Man had a cool but weird costume and then it turned into a bad guy? Wait'll you hear about how those funky threads turn into dozens of bad guys and have their own planet and be worn by everybody and their mother at some point and tie into the whole history and fabric of the Marvel universe because it all goes back to a new god of the void, etc.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, that sounds like event comics alright

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Reminds me of a post I saw somewhere pondering that if you don't reference the super stupid origin of everything and Knull himself, then the current symbiote stuff is functionally identical to the better Planet Symbiote stuff from the 90s. The black suit is cool and evil and there's a planet full of 'em that go do symbiote stuff wherever they want.

Only difference is Venom gets wings

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man am I glad I checked out of new Spider-Man books around the time of Maximum Carnage

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Knull is kind of emblematic of a problem that marvel has with retconning things for the sake of retconning them leading to issues where you have shocking reveals that contradict previous shocking reveals.

Like SURPRISE it turns out that there's actually a whole race of Venoms and they're all actually superheroes and Venom's the outlier that's why he was imprisoned on war world.
SURPRISE it turns out that actually the whole race of venoms are evil and venom was imprisoned for not being evil
SURPRISE it turns out that all t he venoms are actually incarnations of pure negative energy created by the god of death KNULL and KNULL carved them out of primordial darkness himself using his sword ALL BLACK THE DEVASTATOR

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hobo Clown posted:

He was super oversold for the better part of a year before he finally showed up, at which point he looked like Evil Ernie in a Hot Topic Venom hoodie.

The resolution of his storyline also involves this nearly completely unearned plot beat with Eddie Brock as Space Jesus.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Kurieg posted:

Knull is kind of emblematic of a problem that marvel has with retconning things for the sake of retconning them leading to issues where you have shocking reveals that contradict previous shocking reveals.

Like SURPRISE it turns out that there's actually a whole race of Venoms and they're all actually superheroes and Venom's the outlier that's why he was imprisoned on war world.
SURPRISE it turns out that actually the whole race of venoms are evil and venom was imprisoned for not being evil
SURPRISE it turns out that all t he venoms are actually incarnations of pure negative energy created by the god of death KNULL and KNULL carved them out of primordial darkness himself using his sword ALL BLACK THE DEVASTATOR

All Black The Necrosword kicked rear end when it was just Gorr’s weird, heavy metal album cover god stabbing thing

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I really liked that run of Thor where it showed up, yeah. All it needed to be was a sickass sword that got its name revealed in one panel, so of course they went into its super duper lore four years later and that it turns out an even badder evil was behind it all along.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I liked Venom when he was just a weird beefy dude who wanted to eat Spider-Man's brains

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

All Black The Necrosword kicked rear end when it was just Gorr’s weird, heavy metal album cover god stabbing thing

Knull kicks rear end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I always thought Venom just came from an evil goo planet like the thing from Slither and never investigated it further, that seemed fine

Though I did like the explanation from the Tom Hardy movie where Venom can relate to Eddie Brock because he's also a loser on his planet lol

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Weird question. I've got one trophy between me and the platinum, and it's for scoring stealth takedowns while standing on a web line.

Unfortunately, I've completed just about everything in-game, so now the only things left on the map are Mysteriums and the occasional crime. Is there any particular workaround here that doesn't involve replaying a new game for a couple of hours?

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought Venom just came from an evil goo planet like the thing from Slither and never investigated it further, that seemed fine

Would that he did. Comics!Venom isn't particularly complicated as these things go, but it ties into a weirdly dense number of storylines, and it's only gotten weirder as time's gone on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Weird question. I've got one trophy between me and the platinum, and it's for scoring stealth takedowns while standing on a web line.

Unfortunately, I've completed just about everything in-game, so now the only things left on the map are Mysteriums and the occasional crime. Is there any particular workaround here that doesn't involve replaying a new game for a couple of hours?

I believe in the first game they patched in the ability to respawn bases and the like, one of those things where you'd hope they'd have it in at the start for a sequel but kinda understandable it's a low priority feature. Apart from waiting for that, I guess you could either maybe do it to the occasional random crime that occurs in an alleyway/near walls or yeah, restart the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

Do you have any manual saves from earlier in the game? You could save your current spot and go back if so.

Failing that, you should be able to be sneaky for certain random crimes if you approach slowly. And it would be easier with Miles since you can go into Camo.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Beat the game on Amazing, then did a 100% run on Ultimate and got the platinum trophy. Fun game!

Soooo in the part where Miles is captured by the Hunters, was that Chameleon as the construction work or just a random hunter? Didn't finish that quest the first game so I assumed it was just a basic trap but the quest made me question it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Waffleopolis posted:

Beat the game on Amazing, then did a 100% run on Ultimate and got the platinum trophy. Fun game!

Soooo in the part where Miles is captured by the Hunters, was that Chameleon as the construction work or just a random hunter? Didn't finish that quest the first game so I assumed it was just a basic trap but the quest made me question it

I did that side quest line before that mission and I think it's meant to be him. I just can’t see any of the hunters doing that and it's never addressed otherwise.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I honestly don’t remember what you guys are talking about

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

omg chael crash posted:

I honestly don’t remember what you guys are talking about

When miles and MJ go after Peter in the tunnel and get separated, Miles spots a construction worker begging for help. He goes to save him and gets injected by the guy who gives off a sinister grin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But based on the Chameleon side mission, aren't he and Kraven at odds with each other during the events of the game?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also speaks to Miles in Russian while he's knocking him out

It really doesn't make much sense why Chameleon would try to help Kraven with his plan given everything else but no one else really fits for who that guy is

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 13, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

DeathChicken posted:

It really doesn't make much sense why Chameleon would try to help Kraven with his plan given everything else but no one else really fits for who that guy is

Chameleon is Kraven's brother so the Russian made sense to me, but you're right that it wouldn't serve any purpose to sedate Miles for him. . Suppose it really is just a random hunter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chameleon is one of those supervillains you can't help but root for. Guy who is physically normal just trying to outwit the superhuman Spider-man with his costumes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DeathChicken posted:

No reason why it can't just be a hunter who put on a construction worker vest to trick Miles.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I know that saying "where are the Avengers during all this?" is a bottom-of-the-barrel nitpick, but I thought it was really funny and couldn't help but laugh when I passed by the Avengers HQ during the Lizard chase. Can't Thor or Captain Marvel come help me out? We're tearing the whole block asunder over here! :sweatdrop:

I really liked the boss fight itself, though. I feel like that's one area in which this game really improved on Spider-Man 1 and Miles Morales. The Mysterio boss fight was awesome, too. Super creative and I loved throwing toy cars around.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 13, 2023

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Boss fights are pretty great other than the fact there's barely any for ages followed by, like, ten in very quick succession.

Most of them probably had one too many phases too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JordanKai posted:

I know that saying "where are the Avengers during all this?" is a bottom-of-the-barrel nitpick, but I thought it was really funny and couldn't help but laugh when I passed by the Avengers HQ during the Lizard chase. Can't Thor or Captain Marvel come help me out? We're tearing the whole block asunder over here! :sweatdrop:
It’d be more nitpicky if it was just a cute bit of flavor in the New York skyline and there wasn’t a Wolverine and god knows how many other characters due a game soon, and I’d say becoming ground zero for an alien invasion qualifies for Avengers intervention. Now I personally like Spider-Man having his own isolated universe after all the crossovers, so Miles asking if they should call the Avengers and Peter saying uhhh do you want to risk someone like the Hulk getting a symbiote and settle it there would have been fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Avengers were probably in space/in another dimension/in another time period. That's the standard excuse for why they are not around for this stuff.

Edit: Hell, we literally see that with Dr. Strange, where he's out of town so Black Cat can just break in and steal his poo poo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If I bought a game called Spider-Man and the Avengers showed up and started fighting the villains instead, I'd be pretty annoyed

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Avengers show up and the game changes to a Bruce Banner stealth mission

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Welp, game bugged out and won’t give me the last 3 emf missions. No platinum for me I guess

I thought so too then my buddy told me to cruise around the west side of Hell's Kitchen and yup, one popped up there, which led to the rest. Not sure if you're having the same issue but worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe the Avengers are currently in one of those weird line ups where it's half no powers people or something.

That or they're taking a break/disbanded and Tony is just sitting on the real estate.