Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Are there any good recent games with a Star Fox 64 vibe - like a rail shooter where you can dodge around a little bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are there any good recent games with a Star Fox 64 vibe - like a rail shooter where you can dodge around a little bit?

Yes. It was kinda like a vampire survivors mixed with Star Fox. Let me see if I can find it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2140100/Whisker_Squadron_Survivor/

I watched a guy play through it and it looked pretty good tbh

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 13, 2023

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

this one's Literally Just Star Fox

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249480/ExZodiac/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chieves posted:

If you didn't notice, What the Golf? just got a pretty substantial update on PC. The Thanksgiving course is finally accessible again, and it looks like a new mini campaign is out shortly.

Ah sweet. Time to play some normal golf.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HopperUK posted:

Ah sweet. Time to play some normal golf.
completely normal golf

https://i.imgur.com/bNO1pEj.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that also looks good what teh heck

I got this (Farthest Frontier) and it's, idk, fine? it seemed to tick all the boxes but I didn't see much to set it apart from the crowd. That said I don't really play village sims so maybe I'm missing something. It's pretty, and chill, and there's a neat tilt shift if you go in close. i played it for a couple of hours and refunded.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
howdy steam thread I finally have a PC that can play games from this decade and I've already succumbed to humble bundle madness

anyway I have an extra key for Batman Arkham Origins, ironically because someone else already gifted it to me on steam years ago, have at it:

46DTP-J3N0V-ATRM7

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

I just got MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries on Steam through Fanatical with birthday coupon for $4.45. I know folks say to player-patch/mod it to fix Allies’ AI to not be pants-on-head, but do I use NexusMods or is all done through Steam’s workshop thingee (which I’ve never used before)? Any certain mods to look for, or spoiler-free tips to someone who has been a BT fan for 40 years, but last ‘Mech jockeying was MW3?

First question is if you just have the base game or that plus all the DLC because some mods need the DLC.

I’ve gotten all my mods from Nexus. The Yet Another series of mods is sort of escalating steps of complexity and power. The one I’ve never not used is the Yet Another Mechlab mod (which doesn’t need the DLC), which is the base of the Yet Another series and gives mech building some much needed freedom. Among other things a big change it makes is to the vanilla game’s weapon hardpoints. Mech hardpoints are size restricted in vanilla so a large laser hardpoint will only ever fit a large-type laser but YAML makes everything use critical slots so a laser hardpoint can fit any laser if there’s enough critical slots for it.

Some mods depend on if you’re playing the campaign or the career mode DLC (Heroes of the Inner Sphere). Some of the more extensive mods sort of assume you’re playing career and may not work with the campaign or otherwise break the campaign is some way.

My usual advice is to try the campaign without too many mods - probably with YAML, the pilot AI mod, or anything else relatively minor that catches your eye - and see how that feels. The campaign is somewhat open, especially compared to something like MW3, but you get funneled into events as needed. If you finish that and feel you need more then career mode will be there.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kibayasu posted:

<snip helpful answers>

Thanks, I think I just have the base, but if the BattleTech fever strikes after a mission or two like the tactical one, I’ll probably end up with all the DLC really quick :pcgaming:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Attack on Princess posted:

I don't know if it applies to your case, but it's been a thing since Sid Meier was quoted saying players will optimize the fun out of a game if given the chance.

:eng101:
It was Soren Johnson, the lead designer for Civ4
https://www.designer-notes.com/game-developer-column-17-water-finds-a-crack/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Yes. It was kinda like a vampire survivors mixed with Star Fox. Let me see if I can find it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2140100/Whisker_Squadron_Survivor/

I watched a guy play through it and it looked pretty good tbh
Back when I played the Whisker Squadron demo as part of one of the NextFests I could kind of see that it may have got its start imitating the Star Fox 64 all-range mode levels, but the end result is very much NOT Star Fox and if you go in thinking that it is you will not have a good time.

Meanwhile Ex-Zodiac looks like the original Star Fox but plays much more like 64 due to having analog control and a homing charge shot.

Put it this way, I bought Ex-Zodiac on the strength of its demo and do not regret it, I did not buy Whisker Squadron.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd like to hear goon opinions on:

CrossCode

One Step from Eden

Slime Rancher

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CrossCode is drat near perfect if you are okay with your action RPG having a fuckton of puzzles in it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My tolerance for puzzles is uhhh let's say the remakes for Resident Evil 2 and 4 were About Right, so I might want to skip it then

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah if your puzzle tolerance is low, it may not be for you.

Which is a shame because the combat, story, music, art, and characters are all excellent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Azran posted:

CrossCode

One Step from Eden

Slime Rancher

CrossCode is great but has a LOT of puzzles. Like, a looooot. You'll do the tutorial segment and think whoa the action is going to feel good and it does, but like. There's way more puzzles. And like "real" puzzles too where you have to think and not like busywork/break from action puzzles, if that makes sense. If you're thinking of buying, you might already have this from one of the large Itch bundles from the past few years so check there first.

One Step from Eden is for people who like the Mega Man Battle Network combat and mostly it's combat! It has a Slay the Spire-like structure, where you go from one encounter to another. Quite a decent amount of characters. I personally bounced off it after maybe 6 hours because the base difficulty was a bit high for me, which normally isn't a problem, but since it's a roguelite and not a long form RPG, I'd hit a wall towards the end of a run instead of like, after say 10-20 hours, and instead of being able to grind I just end the run and have to start over again and with no guarantee I can get back there at my current skill level. I enjoyed it! But it's just too tough for me and kinda made me want to replay MMBN actually since a lot of the fun was tweaking a perfect deck instead of making do with whatever deck you get on each run, if that makes sense.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I also bounced off of One Step From Eden despite thinking the concept was really cool. It might be the difficulty, but it was also because it was just so... non-stop. Battle Network games have these little pauses whenever you pick your chips, letting you look at the enemies and plan out your next moves a bit, but you don't get that here so you just kind of have to constantly be paying attention to everything and I found it exhausting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One Step From Eden is really weird because it presents itself as a deckbuilder with Battle Network style combat but once you get into the higher difficulties you start to find out that the "deckbuilding" aspect is mostly auxiliary to the primary gameplay, which is increasingly frantic pattern dodging, and the rest is just you mashing one attack button, and the "deckbuilding" part just decides how long you have to that every fight.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Slime Rancher is a pretty enjoyable combo of exploratory platforming and Animal Crossing-lite farming. There’s a basic storyline that plays out via letters and audio logs. I really liked just vibing, it’s a fun world to be in.

There’s not much depth to it beyond figuring out what kind of containment each slime needs and some mild crossbreeding mechanics. Don’t expect to spend a ton of time with it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Azran posted:

CrossCode

One Step from Eden

Slime Rancher

Slime Rancher is cool and chill and has a hella laidback vibe. There's some fun exploring, the soundtrack is good, and the slimes are relentlessly adorable. The actual ranching is mostly just okay, but it can get a little consuming once you get into the explore-vacuum plorts-feed loop. I see people saying it's a 15-18 hour game, which sounds about right to me. Unless you really getting into it like I did, and end up putting 69 hours in

A+ sound design too

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
one step from eden is really amazing if it clicks for you. the combination of very fast MMBN-style gameplay and the (surprisingly) varied and interesting build options you have for every character, of which there are around 8, make for a really meaty and moreish action roguelite.

my first win against the true boss was with a deck that stacked shivs (0 cost cards) and shiv generators, and found an artifact that gave each spell a lil bit of poison damage, and then i had an artifact that stops time for 3 seconds when you hit 200hp, so i spent the whole fight building up shivs and fighting the boss tooth and nail until time stopped and i threw 300 shivs at the boss and ran away until the poison kicked in.

it's really fast, really hard, and it doesn't really give you any tips about how to play the game so i think it's a love it or hate it kinda game. but if you love it you will really love it.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Cross Code does have a lot of puzzles, but there's also puzzle assist sliders available that can make them easier. I don't know if that's really enough to sell you on it though, cause you'd still have to go through em

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Anyone heard anything about Spirittea? Reading reviews it seems it was a Kickstarter 3 years ago and the first handful of reviews are all positive. I just wanted to know if it is as chill as it looks or if it has timers/time limits/missable stuff, etc...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

8bitdo Pro 2 trip report:
The 2 back paddles and the 2 extra face buttons can only be mapped to duplicate standard controller buttons. They aren't recognized by the games I've tested until I map them to dpad or bumper or whatever. Pretty disappointing, I don't get why they would include extra buttons and then not have them do anything useful. (although I guess it could be intended as an accessibility feature for folks with specific hand problems?)

Any recommendations on software that can map them to a keyboard key or something? I tried Xpadder and they aren't recognized. 8bitdo's software only allows mapping to the other controller buttons, as mentioned.

I might have to return it. I don't suppose I'll run into the same issue with the Sony controllers?

E: the Macro function has the same issue, doesn't allow mapping to anything other than standard controller layout buttons

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KazigluBey posted:

Anyone heard anything about Spirittea? Reading reviews it seems it was a Kickstarter 3 years ago and the first handful of reviews are all positive. I just wanted to know if it is as chill as it looks or if it has timers/time limits/missable stuff, etc...

I saw this show up on Gamepass today and was wondering the same. Looks alright actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fruits of the sea posted:

8bitdo Pro 2 trip report:
The 2 back paddles and the 2 extra face buttons can only be mapped to duplicate standard controller buttons. They aren't recognized by the games I've tested until I map them to dpad or bumper or whatever. Pretty disappointing, I don't get why they would include extra buttons and then not have them do anything useful. (although I guess it could be an accessibility feature for folks with specific hand problems?)

Any recommendations on software that can map them to a keyboard key or something? I tried Xpadder and they aren't recognized. 8bitdo's software only allows mapping to the other controller buttons, as mentioned.

I think they should be mappable (but not by Steam, sadly) if you use it in D Input mode.

I use AntiMicroX, but I think Xpadder should work as well (though don’t use a controller profile with the buttons already assigned via the 8bitdo software when trying this).

I might have to return it. I don't suppose I'll run into the same issue with the Sony controllers?

No it should work fine (especially in Steam), and for me it’s part of what makes them so attractive (but they are pretty pricey).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think they should be mappable (but not by Steam, sadly) if you use it in D Input mode.

I use AntiMicroX, but I think Xpadder should work as well (though don’t use a controller profile with the buttons already assigned via the 8bitdo software when trying this).

No it should work fine (especially in Steam), and for me it’s part of what makes them so attractive (but they are pretty pricey).

Thanks! That got me part of the way.

New issues:
Some games don't recognize D Input. Steam fixed this
Xpadder only recognizes the triggers as buttons, not analog. Did you get this working correctly in AntiMicroX?

Double edit: for anybody wondering how to get the wired 8bitdo Pro 2 into D Input mode, you need to follow the manual's instructions for connecting to an android device.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2023

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Getting through some of my backlog..

Katamari Damacy Reroll:
Great chaotic fun, rolling up objects onto your ever-growing katamari, resulting in the ultimate power fantasy of rolling up everything that once stood before you. The quirky Japanese presentation is less impactful 20 years later, but it didn't feel dated. The Steam PC port is shameful with the game initially loading as window, and not allowing access to the settings page until through the 10 minute tutorial! Other than that, my fun was only spoiled by a couple of levels which end far too early, when you seemingly can't avoid achieving the goal within the first minutes - but it's ok they can simply be skipped past. Took about 5 hours to finish all the levels and that was perfect for me.

The Last Campfire:
Seems to be a little project within Hello Games (devs of No Man Sky). Fun little puzzle game, mostly focused around blocks, though with some nice variety and (to me) original ideas. Most of the puzzles aren't going to pose much of a challenge, but there are a few that took a bit of thought and left me stuck for a few minutes. There's some simple traversal between the puzzles, and the levels are quite charming and well made. All the dialogue and narration is really nicely voice acted. My only quibble is that in 2023 I'm very bored of indie game analogies to overcoming depression, which was heavy handed here even with well written dialogue. Took 5.5 hours to complete.

Sable:
I loved the look of this game since I first saw it previewed. It has a sci-fi mad max theme, with shanty towns and crashed spaceships littering a desert landscape. Sadly there's not much to the gameplay - it is just exploration and extremely basic jumping puzzles. Mad max in a dead world with no jeopardy. Some people might enjoy the exploration, and there are some impressive moments when approaching a wreck, but everything seems to be so barren - even the wrecks are almost spotless on the inside! Exploring on-foot reminds me of the on-foot controls in GTA3, and even the hoverbike becomes boring to use after the first few minutes. When you first get it the guy says "don't fall off" and I thought there might be some kind of Death Stranding element to it, but no, you can't ever fall off. Boring and inappropriate music for the setting does nothing for the long travel distances, and to top it off even the visual presentation suffers due to choppiness and freezing. Boring dialogue and so far a dull 'hinted at' back story fed in drips and drabs. I really can't understand how this one got decent reviews/awards - feels very much like a cool graphics tech demo with a game bolted on. Giving up after 3 hours.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Highlighting a rather interesting demo I encountered: Erenshor: The Single Player MMORPG

As it says in the title, this game recreates an old-school MMORPG experience but is technically completely single-player and filled with bots to simulate other players: think games like .Hack, I suppose, but to a further degree. This isn't simulating newer MMORPGs like WoW though, this is very specifically old-school Everquest, where you're [H]ailing NPCs and typing in keywords to ask them about stuff, turning on auto-attack to beat up a skeleton and take his bone chips, checking enemies for their color-coded condition on whether they're safe to fight, listening to weird global chats and people auctioning their items, exploring dungeons and being careful not to aggro too much or get caught off-guard by respawns, and so on. I was really expecting it to just be nostalgia-bait, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was to explore, finding hidden dungeons and quests with no obvious guidance.

I found it rather fascinating with the level of immersive simulation it does. For example, if you want to group up, you can literally type "LFG" in shout chat just like you would back then, and you'll get some responses from people in the area eventually that will make their way over to you: you'd expect that they would make it too convenient by having people teleport to you instantly, or to have some sort of modernized menu to facilitate grouping, but no, they are trying to recreate it authentically, for better or for worse. I tried typing "DING" into shout chat when I leveled up and sure enough, messages of "grats" filled the chat! I also found it amusing that it has a fake login screen, but some people were confused and afraid that it was using their credentials without their permission: it's almost too real!

Basically, if you liked Everquest and would like to play it again but find it too difficult to actually play with people on the old-school Project 99 servers, or you like other MMORPG-esque/exploration games like Morrowind or Gedonia or .Hack, consider checking out the demo and keep a look out for its eventual release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks! That got me part of the way.

New issues:
Some games don't recognize D Input. Steam fixed this
Xpadder only recognizes the triggers as buttons, not analog. Did you get this working correctly in AntiMicroX?

I think that’s just how the controller works in that mode, and fixing it would require 8bitdo to change the firmware, or for Steam to have custom support for their controllers (both unlikely). Same thing for the gyro only working in some modes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

FutureCop posted:

Highlighting a rather interesting demo I encountered: Erenshor: The Single Player MMORPG

As it says in the title, this game recreates an old-school MMORPG experience but is technically completely single-player and filled with bots to simulate other players: think games like .Hack, I suppose, but to a further degree. This isn't simulating newer MMORPGs like WoW though, this is very specifically old-school Everquest, where you're [H]ailing NPCs and typing in keywords to ask them about stuff, turning on auto-attack to beat up a skeleton and take his bone chips, checking enemies for their color-coded condition on whether they're safe to fight, listening to weird global chats and people auctioning their items, exploring dungeons and being careful not to aggro too much or get caught off-guard by respawns, and so on. I was really expecting it to just be nostalgia-bait, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was to explore, finding hidden dungeons and quests with no obvious guidance.

I found it rather fascinating with the level of immersive simulation it does. For example, if you want to group up, you can literally type "LFG" in shout chat just like you would back then, and you'll get some responses from people in the area eventually that will make their way over to you: you'd expect that they would make it too convenient by having people teleport to you instantly, or to have some sort of modernized menu to facilitate grouping, but no, they are trying to recreate it authentically, for better or for worse. I tried typing "DING" into shout chat when I leveled up and sure enough, messages of "grats" filled the chat! I also found it amusing that it has a fake login screen, but some people were confused and afraid that it was using their credentials without their permission: it's almost too real!

Basically, if you liked Everquest and would like to play it again but find it too difficult to actually play with people on the old-school Project 99 servers, or you like other MMORPG-esque/exploration games like Morrowind or Gedonia or .Hack, consider checking out the demo and keep a look out for its eventual release.

this is really loving neat and novel but it also reminds me of like... digital methadone or some other insidious kind of poo poo like that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Why would you ever want a game to load in fullscreen as default instead of windowed?!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why would you ever want a game to load in fullscreen as default instead of windowed?!

pretty much every game does that though. it's pretty normal? unless you are gonna be multi-tasking and like playing the game in the background while doing other stuff on your desktop

unless you mean "full screen borderless window" which yeah is better in every way than Windows's old lovely fullscreen mode that fucks with alt tab

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

pretty much every game does that though. it's pretty normal? unless you are gonna be multi-tasking and like playing the game in the background while doing other stuff on your desktop

unless you mean "full screen borderless window" which yeah is better in every way than Windows's old lovely fullscreen mode that fucks with alt tab

" unless you are gonna be multi-tasking and like playing the game in the background while doing other stuff on your desktop"

I genuinely can't remember the last time I sat down to play a solo game that wasn't also multi-tasking, and I'll be honest: if a game has fullscreen exclusive I can't play it.

Borderless windowed is OK, full windowed is better.

(*exception exists for the extremely rare multiplayer game I'm playing co-op with voice chat, because alt-tabbing in pubg gets you murdered / alt-tabbing in space engineers means you're out of oxygen)

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

StrixNebulosa posted:

I might have the wrong terminology, but I mean it loads up in a small window that can't be maximised until you complete the tutorial and can access the in-game settings. I didn't mind but I think some people with gigantic monitors and desktop resolutions could barely get through it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Huh, so this is Astrox Imperium but instead of space MMOs it's fantasy ones. I'm sold, slap it on the wishlist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JammyB posted:

I might have the wrong terminology, but I mean it loads up in a small window that can't be maximised until you complete the tutorial and can access the in-game settings. I didn't mind but I think some people with gigantic monitors and desktop resolutions could barely get through it!

Nah you got your terminology right, I'm just being windowed snobby. :v:

Games starting in windowed mode = good and correct

Games preventing you from having settings/access to the main menu immediately = they can go to hell; I require the ability to make my game windowed asap

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think that’s just how the controller works in that mode, and fixing it would require 8bitdo to change the firmware, or for Steam to have custom support for their controllers (both unlikely). Same thing for the gyro only working in some modes.

Ahh, bummer. I hope they get it fixed, surprising that the PC experience is so rough.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

" unless you are gonna be multi-tasking and like playing the game in the background while doing other stuff on your desktop"

I genuinely can't remember the last time I sat down to play a solo game that wasn't also multi-tasking, and I'll be honest: if a game has fullscreen exclusive I can't play it.

Borderless windowed is OK, full windowed is better.

(*exception exists for the extremely rare multiplayer game I'm playing co-op with voice chat, because alt-tabbing in pubg gets you murdered / alt-tabbing in space engineers means you're out of oxygen)

in my experience multi tasking makes everything worse
I'll enjoy a game much more if I can get in the mind space to focus on it alone and not like give in to the ADHD urge to browse the forums on my second monitor during load screens

checking wikis is cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fuller than fullscreen only

I turn up my nose at any game that displays more than half the UI by default