Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Funk worked them unless it was a big spot, and his first punch of the match was always a live round to remind people not to gently caress with him.

Funk was also punching them right in the middle of the forehead, as opposed to lower on the actual face where bad things can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shard posted:

Ivory was so jacked she ruled

Dick Bastardly posted:

I definitely remember being intimidated by her and I only felt that way about one other female wrestler at the time and that was Jacqueline (Chyna too I suppose). Ivory vs. Jacqueline would've been a pretty good match think, I don't recall if that match up ever happened though.

Ivory (and Jacqueline too) both fuckin' owned and they existed in the wrong era of wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Who would be widely regarded as the stiffest in the ring in recent history (let's say... the past 30 years or so) I wonder?

It's a crowded field once you get to Japan, but Katsuhiko Nakajima is notorious for sometimes just knocking his opponent the gently caress out with a kick or a strike.

Edit: an example of this from when he legit concussed Tetsuya Endo. Not an easy watch. https://youtu.be/6UQAPcK_1mc?si=LMVB6fQwbsYGZw1a

They cut just before the actual concussion but it was a hell of a blow.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 9, 2023

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Bonk posted:

Fans were also conditioned for decades to believe "3 minute matches = sucks" and "not on main TV show = sucks", and it's hard to shake that mentality since fans of the biggest company in the world still buy into it. But if you ever see Dark/ROH jobbers from the past few years in their home promotions, some of them will blow your mind.

I was talking to an indie wrestler about this recently, and she was saying how basically until the Divas era ended, literally the only style of wrestling women learned was "woman wrestler". They were generic on purpose, because they couldn't show up the pretty models who couldn't wrestle.
This and things like it still happen, BTW. This year alone, I've heard stories of one rookie woman working prominent indies before she learned how to properly bump, another getting a concussion because she was unprepared for basic highspots because her school had babied her through training because they thought she had a look...stuff like that.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

davidbix posted:

This and things like it still happen, BTW. This year alone, I've heard stories of one rookie woman working prominent indies before she learned how to properly bump, another getting a concussion because she was unprepared for basic highspots because her school had babied her through training because they thought she had a look...stuff like that.

Follow-up question for the thread in general: are there any notable examples of anything similar happening with men? I've heard about Vampiro having really limited training because everyone in Mexico thought he was dreamy and that was enough, but there has to be more examples than that.

(I will also accept a better explanation of Vampiro's deal, because I only kind of remember it.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Follow-up question for the thread in general: are there any notable examples of anything similar happening with men? I've heard about Vampiro having really limited training because everyone in Mexico thought he was dreamy and that was enough, but there has to be more examples than that.

(I will also accept a better explanation of Vampiro's deal, because I only kind of remember it.)

Not on the "being dreamy" side, but there were certainly guys who were rushed out too fast because they had a hell of a look. The cohort of Power Plant trainees that included Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, and Chuck Palumbo were definitely being pushed out the moment they could do a vague approximation of working because they had exactly the builds that WCW wanted.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Not on the "being dreamy" side, but there were certainly guys who were rushed out too fast because they had a hell of a look. The cohort of Power Plant trainees that included Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, and Chuck Palumbo were definitely being pushed out the moment they could do a vague approximation of working because they had exactly the builds that WCW wanted.

Jade was rushed out the minute she wasn't an obvious danger to her self and others.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Konnan did not have proper training either.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Konnan did not have proper training either.

That I did not know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

That I did not know.

Konnan was introduced to the business by a guy who called himself "The World Champion" and later turned out to be a fan.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Konnan was introduced to the business by a guy who called himself "The World Champion" and later turned out to be a fan.

I assume he actually got training before Vince gave him a giant blue robosuit with blasters[sold seperately]

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like someone actually did a shoot and said they were fake old lady boobs though so maybe it’s ok!

not sure of the reasoning but yea they were prosthetics

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

He didn't immediately start wrestling, though. He got hooked up with Rey Misterio Sr. and trained in the same class as Rey Jr. and Psicosis (and Cassandro, when he was around, since he lived in Juarez) before he actually had a match.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

He didn't immediately start wrestling, though. He got hooked up with Rey Misterio Sr. and trained in the same class as Rey Jr. and Psicosis (and Cassandro, when he was around, since he lived in Juarez) before he actually had a match.

Yeah, Konnan had to admit to a promoter that he'd never wrestled after said fan hyped him up as this seasoned guy who'd worked in the US. Once that happened, he was introduced to Rey Sr.

Nikita Koloff very famously was put on TV right out of the gym because they needed another Russian on TV and, well, look at him. He admits to being trained on the job and had no idea what the hell he was doing early on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Nikita Koloff very famously was put on TV right out of the gym because they needed another Russian on TV and, well, look at him. He admits to being trained on the job and had no idea what the hell he was doing early on.

Super lucky in hindsight he got put in there to ride with an industry vet like Ivan.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I wonder when the transition from "Pay a guy $500 to learn how to lock up and bump and the rest is all on the job training" to dedicated academies occured. I'd guess the 90s once Vince killed kayfabe and you could openly advertise a wrestling school, but I'd be curious if it happened earlier.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

I wonder when the transition from "Pay a guy $500 to learn how to lock up and bump and the rest is all on the job training" to dedicated academies occured. I'd guess the 90s once Vince killed kayfabe and you could openly advertise a wrestling school, but I'd be curious if it happened earlier.

People like Dominic DeNucci were running reputable schools at least a decade before that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'd guess the 90s once Vince killed kayfabe and you could openly advertise a wrestling school, but I'd be curious if it happened earlier.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently kayfabe-breaking about advertising that you run a wrestling school. Even legit athletes need to be trained.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

High quality wrestling schools were around as early as the 1930s, possibly earlier.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If your trainer didn't shoot break your legs on the first day to make sure you respected the business did you even go to wrestling school

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the Wigan Snakepit was afaik one of the best wrestling schools in the world in the 50s and 60s despite being in the middle of Wigan

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Venomous posted:

the Wigan Snakepit was afaik one of the best wrestling schools in the world in the 50s and 60s despite being in the middle of Wigan

Meat me in the Wigan Snakepit.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

little munchkin posted:

more mentally scarring than actual old lady boobs somehow

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CombineThresher posted:

It is pretty funny to see him in his very early TV appearances, all he does is stand in the background and look mean while there's a promo being cut.

quote:

In 1984, Simpson was going to try out for the USFL when Road Warrior Animal, a professional wrestler from the Minnesota area, called him to ask him to become a professional wrestler. Simpson decided to go with wrestling and was told to shave his head bald and to show up. Jim Crockett, Jr., the promoter of the NWA's Jim Crockett Promotions, renamed him "Nikita Koloff", the Russian Nightmare, and teamed him with "uncle" Ivan Koloff and Don Kernodle, a turncoat American. Koloff was briefly trained by Eddie Sharkey.[2] He debuted on June 5, 1984, and won his first match in 13 seconds, with the only edict from Crockett being that should Koloff trip on the ropes, he would be fired on the spot

lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If I remember the progression was Jacqueline getting her shirt ripped off at a UK PPV, then Miss Kitty (remember when Lawler quit over her firing? And he met her when she was eighteen and he was forty?) took off her top at another UK PPV, and finally Mae Young removed her top during a swimsuit competition at the Royal Rumble.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

more mentally scarring than actual old lady boobs somehow

Yeah the genuine reasoning was probably “old lady boobs are just boobs we want this to look as gross as possible”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

People like Dominic DeNucci were running reputable schools at least a decade before that.

Yeah, and in the 80's Larry Sharpe's Monster Factory was going strong. I think Bam Bam was the first wrestler I heard being trained at <blank> school in the Apter mags instead of trained by a certain wrestler. The Factory's still open but somebody else runs it now, obviously.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If I remember the progression was Jacqueline getting her shirt ripped off at a UK PPV, then Miss Kitty (remember when Lawler quit over her firing? And he met her when she was eighteen and he was forty?) took off her top at another UK PPV, and finally Mae Young removed her top during a swimsuit competition at the Royal Rumble.

IIRC Miss Kitty removed her top at a PPV in the US, maybe a SummerSlam or something because I feel like it was after a pool party or bikini contest or something?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was under the impression they kept doing it in the UK because there wouldn't be as big of an issue, and then used a seventy year old woman with prosthetics in the US.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

little munchkin posted:

They were doing a There’s Something About Mary bit with the fake old lady boobs.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

IIRC Miss Kitty removed her top at a PPV in the US, maybe a SummerSlam or something because I feel like it was after a pool party or bikini contest or something?

Wasn’t that the uk Armageddon show? There was a match involving a pool of water or something because I vaguely remember her being soaking wet at the time and it was a good excuse to have someone with a towel dive on her immediately.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It was Armageddon, but that wasn’t a UK show. I’ve heard that she did that on her own without prior approval, but I don’t know that I actually buy it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Diabolik900 posted:

It was Armageddon, but that wasn’t a UK show. I’ve heard that she did that on her own without prior approval, but I don’t know that I actually buy it.

There was a security guy or something there immediately to cover her up with a towel so I’d be skeptical of believing she just decided to do it on her own

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't it Sgt. Slaughter?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

It was Sgt Slaughter. And the story I’ve heard is that we weren’t actually supposed to see anything but Slaughter was late with the towel. Whoops!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Grendels Dad posted:

Meat me in the Wigan Snakepit.

What if we kissed in the Wigan Snakepit?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TL posted:

What if we kissed in the Wigan Snakepit?

Billy Robinson would beat the poo poo out of you.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CombineThresher posted:

Billy Robinson would beat the poo poo out of you.

Why? Does Billy hate love or something?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nystral posted:

Why? Does Billy hate love or something?

Love has no place in the Snake Pit, only violence and smack barm pea wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

The UK show was Insurrexion. Kat arm wrestled Terri Runnels. I vaguely remember watching because it was a rare UK PPV.

Found this:
"Post-match, Terri yanked off The Kat's top. Unphased, Kat flashed her puppies to the entire Earls Court Arena."