Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
FF15 had the best looking videogame food at the time of release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

ymgve posted:

FF15 had the best looking videogame food at the time of release

It doesnt let you look at it very long, and not at all if theres a drizzle out.

I want to see extreme close ups of the gang eating slowly, with great passion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

X JAKK posted:

It doesnt let you look at it very long, and not at all if theres a drizzle out.

I want to see extreme close ups of the gang loving slowly, with great passion.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Caesar Saladin posted:

Final Fantasy 15 had a lot of problems, but it greatly excelled in the mechanics of hanging out with the boys on a road trip, which somehow made it fun.

4 bro's

no reach arounds

0 out of 10

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't understanding caring what your character looks like in video games. No matter what game I play, I skip the "customize your look" part of character creation - BG3, Dark Souls, Cyberpunk, whatever. I just roll with the default or randomly generated look. I'll put on some cool looking armor, but I don't need to adjust the facial structure or hair or whatever because those are things I will virtually never see in-game, or if I do just in the form of character portraits like in BG3 (which, side-note, the player character portraits all look really bad in).

I like BG3 and I played it for well over 100 hours, but I'm looking at the most popular mods for this month to see if I want to play it again - on the first page of the Nexus most downloaded mods, 13 of the top 20 mods are just cosmetic changes - hairstyles, haircolors, clothing dyes, sexy outfits, tattoos. 26 of the top 40 mods are minor cosmetic things. That's 65%. And most of them look like, to paraphrase someone from the Games forum thread, teenagers who just got their dad's permission to get a piercing at Hot Topic.

Some of the most downloaded mods are things like longer fingernails, making companions more 'conventionally attractive' (i.e. turning them into Poser models). 3 of the top 15 mods are literally just sexy underwear. Removing muscles for companions or adding them in. One adds dark circles under your eyes like you didn't get enough sleep. Making companions younger.

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than to say I miss when video games were about video games.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than to say I miss when video games were about video games.
But video games were always full of horndogs? One of the first "mods" i was aware of was the Tomb Raider Nude Patch back in the mid 90s.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's just that now it extends even beyond the horndogs. People really care about their characters looking more tired or having different tattoos on their shoulders or whatever. Who are these people, I just don't get how anyone can care that much about what their character looks like, it's weird to me.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
weird cosmetic mods have been a thing since at least Oblivion, though?

Not denying that it's weird, just wondering why you think that it was different once.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you look at the most popular Oblivion mods of all time on Nexus, one of the top 20 is a cosmetic mod for characters and the rest are graphics overhauls, content, or QoL features. That's 5%. If you do the same thing for BG3 7 of the top 20 are character customization options. That's 35%

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I spend a lot of time in character creators or Mech bays or whatever. A lot of people just like little creative outlets, I don't think there's much mystery about it.

Oblivion is really old so there's going to be more graphics and QoL stuff that needs to be done.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Nice Van My Man posted:

I spend a lot of time in character creators or Mech bays or whatever. A lot of people just like little creative outlets, I don't think there's much mystery about it.

Oblivion is really old so there's going to be more graphics and QoL stuff that needs to be done.

Also Oblivion is old, so graphics and QoL stuff has had time to get done :v:

Simple cosmetic tweaks or model replacements are easy. That's almost always like what most day one mods are. The graphics or gameplay mod stuff comes way further down the line once actual mod tools get developed/released.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My unpopular videogame opinion is that it's weird to care that much about what your character in a video game looks like, the popularity of cosmetic mods in newer games was only a supporting data point :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you look at the most popular Oblivion mods of all time on Nexus, one of the top 20 is a cosmetic mod for characters and the rest are graphics overhauls, content, or QoL features. That's 5%. If you do the same thing for BG3 7 of the top 20 are character customization options. That's 35%

Well, first port of call when modding a Bethesda game is to fix the broken piece of poo poo.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Just finished Elden Ring and oh my loving god the ending is a complete loving joke. Less than 30 seconds, me sitting on a throne, 'it's the age of the duskborne', no explanation of anything, nothing about Fia or the undead, or what a Tarnished is or what the Lands Between are, just my stupid rear end in my stupid armor sitting on a stupid throne lol I don't think I've EVER been more disappointed by a game's ending. 219 hours to reach an ending that I would have enjoyed more if it was a jpeg of a Japanese man giving me the middle finger

Everything after Lyendell could have been cut from this game with nothing lost, it was just area after area of bosses and enemies I'd already seen except massively overtuned, and the final boss was bullshit.

Everything prior to all of that was wonderful.

you probably shouldn't play any other soulsborne game after this then, bc they're all like this

they all end quickly and the two ending routes are pretty much always 1) you step up into the cycle and replace the previous Lord of Whatever and create the Age of Your Name Here, or 2) you destroy the cycle and start some sort of 'age of darkness', although it's kind like tarot in that this isn't necessarily automatically bad bc you're destroying the status quo to make room for a new system to appear. But it's always portrayed at the 'dark' path to take.

and the lore is always hidden. but like, you at least figured out what Ranni did and how the ring shattered, right?

at least they didn't put an intentionally useless item in as one of the first important choices in the game for this one lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I don't understanding caring what your character looks like in video games. No matter what game I play, I skip the "customize your look" part of character creation - BG3, Dark Souls, Cyberpunk, whatever. I just roll with the default or randomly generated look. I'll put on some cool looking armor, but I don't need to adjust the facial structure or hair or whatever because those are things I will virtually never see in-game, or if I do just in the form of character portraits like in BG3 (which, side-note, the player character portraits all look really bad in).

I like BG3 and I played it for well over 100 hours, but I'm looking at the most popular mods for this month to see if I want to play it again - on the first page of the Nexus most downloaded mods, 13 of the top 20 mods are just cosmetic changes - hairstyles, haircolors, clothing dyes, sexy outfits, tattoos. 26 of the top 40 mods are minor cosmetic things. That's 65%. And most of them look like, to paraphrase someone from the Games forum thread, teenagers who just got their dad's permission to get a piercing at Hot Topic.

Some of the most downloaded mods are things like longer fingernails, making companions more 'conventionally attractive' (i.e. turning them into Poser models). 3 of the top 15 mods are literally just sexy underwear. Removing muscles for companions or adding them in. One adds dark circles under your eyes like you didn't get enough sleep. Making companions younger.

Thankfully there are mods that make the companions look less like supermodels and I'm on a quest to collect them all. :patriot:
But yeah I follow the bg3 feed on bluesky and 1/4 of it is just people posting screencaps of their dead eyed edgy OC's, while mine were A: conventionally attractive male human fighter/bard and B: Dwarf with beethoven hair and a stupid face tat.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 13, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Moon Monster posted:

massively tedious resource grinding

sorry you don't like JRPGs not at all though you are blessed

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
like, Soulsbourne games assume you're the type of weeb to have already read Berserk and that consequently you 'understand' what's going on

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The core gameplay of FF15 is bizarre because they basically took Kingdom Hearts 3 but made it more casual. Except for magic, to which they added massively tedious resource grinding guaranteeing that no one would use it past the first couple hours.

The cave art was good though. They looked like actual caves rather than your typical videogame caves. Someone on the art team was clearly into caves, which I really appreciated.

Interestingly, while I 100% agree on the caves thing, the first cave is the exact moment where I knew the game was going to run out of steam in a quick hurry.

The banter, micro-cinematics, bevy of scripted events, quasi-scripted NPC behavior, etc... all screamed "vertical slice" in a way that you normally only encounter during early game production.

That level of effort thrown into a single dungeon is obviously unsustainable for games with FF-sized scopes, and the fact that the vertical slice was kept as-is instead of reconciliating it with main production was not a good sign.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't understanding caring what your character looks like in video games.

If I'm putting myself through the boredom of a Baldur's Gate game I'm at least going to look fabulous doing it. But I'm not doing that, I quit the original BG about 2 hours in and I'll die before I play another one. Baldur's Gate popularized real time with pause, it should be a curse in the mouth of gamers!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

you probably shouldn't play any other soulsborne game after this then, bc they're all like this

I've been reading poo poo now that I've finished a blind playthrough and I'm more comfortable with the ending I got. There's only a few lines spoken in the end but one of them is very significant, I just didn't realize it at first

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I don't understanding caring what your character looks like in video games.

You don't like the story in games, you don't care what the words say, you don't care what the characters look like, you don't care what the mechanics are, you don't like playing games the way they were meant to, all that matters for you is the emergent narrative of a formless warrior scrounging around environments for items you also don't care about.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Actually the mechanics are literally the only thing I care about in video games :confused: I've posted that some games are cool because they have the ability to generate emergent narratives but it's definitely not an important part of video games as a whole to me. Items are cool too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I almost took out the mechanics part but didn't because I'm walking and got distracted. Items was a gamble I'll cop to that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A list of games I've been playing recently includes Age of Wonders 4, Caves of Qud, Battle Brothers and Captain of Industry. And my most-played games of all time on Steam are Rimworld, Amazing Cultivation Simulator, Legion TD2, Battle Brothers and Factorio.

All the good games are games where you don't even follow a narrative and they're 100% about the mechanics and cool poo poo that happens along the way :colbert:

(Also I have bad video game opinions I know)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Strong opinions.

Weak opinions.

That is only the selfish perception of people.

Truly skilled game discussers should try to win with ad hominem attacks.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Baldur's Gate popularized real time with pause, it should be a curse in the mouth of gamers!
But BG3 is turn based. Like, literal turns and initiative order and limited actions and movement per turn.

Khanstant posted:

Truly skilled game discussers should try to win with ad hominem attacks.
I don't think we should listen to anybody who's voicing such an opinion.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 13, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

the combat in baldur's gate 3 is just so loving slow and tedious i can't play the game. i also didn't like all of the other aspects.

i played divinity original sin 2 last year and i think i'm good on that genre for life now. they're all the same game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's just that now it extends even beyond the horndogs. People really care about their characters looking more tired or having different tattoos on their shoulders or whatever. Who are these people, I just don't get how anyone can care that much about what their character looks like, it's weird to me.

Dont you also skip through conversations and ignore plot? Could it be that you are the weird one

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Dont you also skip through conversations and ignore plot? Could it be that you are the weird one
Lost ark broke something in me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I read dialog I just skip through the voice acting because I read very fast and don't like waiting for VAs to catch up :argh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at clouds because all of my complaints about video games basically boil down to "I don't like the way video games have evolved let's go back to 15 years ago"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at clouds because all of my complaints about video games basically boil down to "I don't like the way video games have evolved let's go back to 15 years ago"

question is, which year do you think 15 years ago is?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NWN2 was released 17 years ago, Dark Souls 1 was released 12 years ago, I think that's a pretty good window of peak gaming.

e: Diablo 2 was released 23 years ago so Peak Gaming can go back further than 17 years I guess

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I posted this in another thread so sorry but it's some :discourse: trolling and therefore very suitable

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/rpgs/the-50-best-rpgs-of-all-time

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I posted this in another thread so sorry but it's some :discourse: trolling and therefore very suitable

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/rpgs/the-50-best-rpgs-of-all-time

Look, I'm a huge Jeff Vogel fan, but sandwiching Exile 2 (The original, not even the one-to-one modern remake) between Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles is certainly a take.

e: People with only access to Macs in the 90s (myself included) were under some pretty dire Stockholm Syndrome, gaming-wise. I can see that take being actually genuine.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 13, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Putting Witcher 3 at 50 is like the racking noise on an outrage shotgun

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Putting Witcher 3 at 50 is like the racking noise on an outrage shotgun

yeah it belongs at 51

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I agree with most of that list.

Take Witcher 3, Destiny 2, and Loop Hero off the list though. And Assasin's Creed.

e: And Valkyria Chronicles get that piece of poo poo puzzle game off the good RPG list.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 13, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

just skimming it and the two things that jump out at me are that calling Loop Hero an RPG is really weird and

quote:

But I love it in spite of the majority of its mechanics.

is the rallying cry of the dumbass gamer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Despite the game mostly sucking I'll put it on this list to bump off ones that mostly ruled. It's not impressive for a good game to have great parts, but it is for a bad game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Game that people actually play are not necessarily the best games. The best game is the dream of a good game, making unreleased MMOs the best games