Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've played around a bit with the trams raised over roads, and think I've discovered how the people "teleporting" up/down from the tram track without walkways functions.

It depends on the tram track being above a road with buildings along it, and might not work if the road is too wide. I think the people are actually walking from the tram into the building, not onto the sidewalk.
Trying to bring a raised walkway up to the tram track is also rarely possible at all, and when the game does allow it, it will typically result in the road underneath being in an "illegal" state where you can't modify any attached road segments.

However, if you plan where you want stops and build a section of pedestrian street raised above the road, then upgrade that with tram track, it's possible to attach pedestrian walkways without making illegal configurations.
Unfortunately it seems you can't upgrade raised tram track with pedestrian street...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Found a decent way to alleviate nightmare traffic in dense areas. Eliminate on street parking by putting trees on the sides of the roads!

Now I have traffic jams at my underground parking garages but I’ll call it a win for now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Posts Only Secrets posted:

I'd argue that parking lots are worse than useless. Cars will want to turn into them from the other side of the road, blocking oncoming traffic and making things worse. Even if you put a parking lot on both sides of the road they are too stupid to use the correct one for their side. I tried putting parking lot in logical spots, such as really high density areas and it just made the traffic worse than not having them.
To be fair, a lot of drivers are loving morons in the real world, too. Any urbanist would tell you that accommodating personal automobiles by providing lanes or parking produces worse traffic. Just pedestrianize it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Are you here to see the car wreck too?"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cugel the Clever posted:

To be fair, a lot of drivers are loving morons in the real world, too. Any urbanist would tell you that accommodating personal automobiles by providing lanes or parking produces worse traffic. Just pedestrianize it.
Yeah, I was gonna say; the mechanism might not be exactly right, but it works on the macro-level. More parking lots = car-centric design -> Worse traffic.

Also, I would kind of assume that a lot of people would want to park on the side where they're going, not where they're driving. Like, they've already decided to drive somewhere, are they really going to choose the parking lot that requires them to walk more and wait at a pedestrian crossing? Possibly in bad weather. That's not a people being morons issue, that's urban design or culture.

Practically, it sounds like a one-way road would be a better option? That way no one is turning into an oncoming lane.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My whole life I have always been amazed by how much people don't think ahead at all about where they're going to park.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In the US it doesn’t rate thinking about, unless you’re going into the heart of a large city's downtown. And then you quickly learn there’s a few parking lots between here and here and the big garage over on 9th street.

To the previous point, I’m guessing cims don’t learn like humans that it’s sometimes easier to go right and loop around rather than taking a left.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 12, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are many many intersections, at least in the northeastern US where I've spent most of my life, where there are no traffic lights and where turning left is technically allowed, but outside of like 11PM to 6AM it's totally impossible without a big risk of a multicar wreck. These are two-line side roads meeting heavily trafficked two-lane main roads, with nothing but stop signs facing the side road. At almost all of these intersections left turns ought to be forbidden and signage posted as such, because there's all too frequently that one guy that will sit there for literally ten minutes with his left blinker on, while traffic backs up for a mile behind him, before he finally accepts that he is going to have to turn right and find another way to get where he's going. This happens a lot because if the left turn isn't actually illegal, phone GPS's will blithely send people that way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

nielsm posted:

"Are you here to see the car wreck too?"

This made me laugh aloud. Thank you.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mixed residential/commercial zoning was a much requested feature. Has it been done well?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Count Roland posted:

Mixed residential/commercial zoning was a much requested feature. Has it been done well?

No, the vanilla mixed use buildings suck. Modders will be able to add good assets for it though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Count Roland posted:

I'm carpeting most of my city in it, it's alright, it's one zone and the zone is basically medium density (5+ storeys) residential with a floor of commercial at the base. Have to see what the workshop brings for it once its released.

Better than nothing, not optimal, but works well enough.

You can see all the current vanilla assets for mixed usage zoning here:

EU: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17k1qf8/every_eu_mixed_use_building_in_cs2/

America :911: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17k1m2o/every_na_mixed_use_building_in_cs2/

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I heard they fixed the performance issues from unplayable to actually kind of reasonable?

Anyone know how a 7800X3D and 6800 XT would do? I guess I can try it for 2 hours and just refund it if it's not playable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Away all Goats posted:

I heard they fixed the performance issues from unplayable to actually kind of reasonable?

Anyone know how a 7800X3D and 6800 XT would do? I guess I can try it for 2 hours and just refund it if it's not playable.

You will have zero trouble running it on that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Games fun but man is the building auto-flattening kind of annoying. I made a nice winding coastal road with low density homes along the beach and now everyones backyard has created a walled cliff straight down to the sea as it leveled off the terrain.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

piratepilates posted:

I'm carpeting most of my city in it, it's alright, it's one zone and the zone is basically medium density (5+ storeys) residential with a floor of commercial at the base. Have to see what the workshop brings for it once its released.

Better than nothing, not optimal, but works well enough.

You can see all the current vanilla assets for mixed usage zoning here:

EU: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17k1qf8/every_eu_mixed_use_building_in_cs2/

America :911: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17k1m2o/every_na_mixed_use_building_in_cs2/

Thanks. Would definitely like to see more 2 and 3 story versions but that's a good start.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some of those smaller ones look a lot better than the large ones. A mod to remove all the billboards would help.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Has anyone modded in the Bob's Burgers building yet?

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Jamma Matte :cool: :coffee:

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Away all Goats posted:

I was surprised how well it runs. I have a 10700k and a 6900 XT and I get 40-50 FPS. Occasionally it stutters, but nothing that bothers me too much. It's definitely stressing the GPU way more than that CPU. My wife has never commented on my PC when I play games, except this. She asked, "Is your computer okay? It's so hot." Sure enough it was blowing some seriously warm air. So yeah, the GPU is noticeably stressed to run that well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Every now and then you see something online and go 'oh my god I'm a derp why wasn't I doing that' and today it's asynchronous lanes around an intersection,.

In my defence I was never a big TMPE person in CS1 so I don't think that much.

Honestly though there should be a one press button where you can click on an intersection and it does it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 13, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

this is the kind of mixed use we need in this game

https://twitter.com/tphuang/status/1723712004416733336

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I fixed all my traffic issues by making my giant square (with a roundabout on each corner) one way.

Kinda dreading the whole "i need to make the entire road bigger so i can get the L train to work properly" happening. Also this game absolutely should just have stairs + a lift for pedestrian usage. I'm tired of making giant ramps for my foot traffic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dogstile posted:

I fixed all my traffic issues by making my giant square (with a roundabout on each corner) one way.

Kinda dreading the whole "i need to make the entire road bigger so i can get the L train to work properly" happening. Also this game absolutely should just have stairs + a lift for pedestrian usage. I'm tired of making giant ramps for my foot traffic.

Yeah raised tram platforms seem like a huge missing opportunity, while on the subject of poor height usage, I want zoning for commercial with parking underneath. Lots of the hotels/etc in my area have huge underground parking garages they rent out.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
CO Word of the Week 3 is out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-3.1609760/

CO Word of the Week 3 posted:

Last week I promised to give you an update on where we are with the modding of Cities: Skylines II. The Editor is in the works and we shared an updated version of it with the closed Modding Beta group for a feedback round just last Friday. The Editor currently includes only maps and support for code modding and we’re looking forward to getting those ready for an initial release. I’m calling it an initial release as we will be adding to the modding tools throughout the game's lifetime, just like we did with Cities: Skylines.

We do not have the asset import feature available yet, so the creators are currently unable to import their own assets into the game. After we have the import feature in place we’ll be running it through the Modding Beta group. When the asset part of the Editor is ready, we’ll have the Paradox Mods nicely populated with the Region pack assets that the asset creators have been working on. The assets are looking amazing, and I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun choosing the ones most fitting to your cities! If you haven’t already, check out the Region Pack teaser here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFn1gm4iE1M

Our goal is to release the Editor as soon as possible, and we will keep you updated on the progress. We expect it will take a couple of months to get the Editor in a shape where we can release it, but we don’t have a concrete timeline yet as we don’t want to make promises we can’t keep. Once the Editor is out we will continue to work on it with your feedback and suggestions to help us prioritize the most wanted features and improvements. We’re very much looking forward to seeing your creations and mods too!

As an update on console, the game will have all the intended Editor features in place when the console versions are released, so you’ll be able to catch up to the PC players in no time. The Editor on console will be on par with the PC version in all but two features: code modding and asset importing as these are not possible within the console restrictions. However, you will be able to download user-created assets from Paradox Mods and create custom maps! The performance improvements we are currently working on also benefit the console version, and we’re actively working on the console versions so they will be ready for you in the first half of 2024.

In the last three weeks, we’ve had a very quick pace with the patches. There is one more of those landing soon, but after that, we’ll be focusing on bigger fixes that take longer to work on. The team is now focusing on LODs and improving GPU performances, and while geometric LODs are largely automated, there are a ton of tweaks and adjustments required. We are expecting a relevant performance boost with these asset fixes. The workload is significant and unfortunately, there is no silver bullet to improve the performance at once, instead, it requires several tasks completed before we are happy with it. This results in less frequent updates so we won’t have weekly patches going forward. Please check the future Word of the Weeks for more information, as I plan to keep writing one every week until further notice.

Before I go, here’s a link to last week’s patch notes if you want to check what it brought! Thanks to everyone who reported an issue and gave feedback. Your effort is most appreciated!

Sincerely,
Mariina

Bolding is mine - months to get out the bare bones maps and coding only editor release, with asset import somewhere beyond that. Embarassing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Am I correct in understanding that this means those hyped asset packs and more-than-basic-QoL-mods are months away?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol and here I thought the asset packs were going to come soon

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Fishstick posted:

Am I correct in understanding that this means those hyped asset packs and more-than-basic-QoL-mods are months away?

yes

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mad Wack posted:

CO Word of the Week 3 is out: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-3.1609760/

Bolding is mine - months to get out the bare bones maps and coding only editor release, with asset import somewhere beyond that. Embarassing.

Honestly, I'm glad their focus is where it is right now. Mod support etc is super important, but performance/bug fixes is more critical

E: its definitely embarrassing though

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Well that sucks.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hot take: I wouldn’t be surprised if the couple of months timeframe is accounting for thanksgiving and Christmas

Nothing productive gets done starting 2 weeks from now until the first of the year

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, that's probably factoring into it. Definitely sucks but I'm glad I played this on Gamepass before buying it. I'll definitely be buying it later once they get this stuff smoothed out and mods are in, etc. But for now it might be time to shelve this for a bit.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, that's probably factoring into it. Definitely sucks but I'm glad I played this on Gamepass before buying it. I'll definitely be buying it later once they get this stuff smoothed out and mods are in, etc. But for now it might be time to shelve this for a bit.

Yeah I've got my city to 100k and looking good and I think it's time for me to give it a break until more patches and mods and especially assets come out. Victoria 3's releasing a big update tomorrow, so I get to cycle off one half-baked-on-release game to another one that's now had some time in the oven.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guess I won't be getting into this any time soon.

In fired up CS1 vanilla the other day and boy did in miss those QoL mods pretty quickly.

Speaking of which, does pollution still turn the ground purple? I really hated that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Boy it's almost as if the game were released a solid year before it should have been

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of which, does pollution still turn the ground purple? I really hated that.

Lol I forgot about that. Thankfully it doesn't seem happen in CS2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Raymond T. Racing posted:

hot take: I wouldn’t be surprised if the couple of months timeframe is accounting for thanksgiving and Christmas

(Finland does not celebrate thanksgiving.)

E: Code mods are the most important though, it's where all the interesting experiments will happen. And official asset packs don't need to depend on the public consumption modding tools being released.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 13, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a visual effect for ground pollution in CS2 but it's very subtle. There was a mod for 1 that did something similar, reducing the range of the spread and the intensity of the texture change

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nielsm posted:

Yeah but on the other hand there'll generally be more time taken off around new year than Americans thanks to having more leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

They do all take like 3 weeks off in December in Sweden though right? Pretty sure I remember this because 10 years ago Paradox released a patch for Crusader Kings 2 in early December which completely broke the game and then hosed off for 3 weeks.