Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Can’t wait to buy that to beat the argument of “I don’t want to play that, I don’t want to set up my peripherals” and then still never play racing or flight sims.

Don’t call me out like that imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

This looks awesome and I hope it takes off mostly because I hope it spurs on these sim racing companies to product stuff for flight sim enthusiasts.

This is neat, but where FFB would really be helpful for flight controls is on the pitch axis, and unless I'm misunderstanding this would only have it on roll.

The patents that were blocking FFB flight controls only recently expired. I imagine it will be a couple years before we see affordable consumer grade stuff. And if it follows the same arc as wheels it will be another several years before the affordable consumer grade stuff is actually really good quality. Hopefully enough of the development already done on wheels applies to shortcut that a bit.

Edit: fixed typo :v:

Theris fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 13, 2023

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Theris posted:

The parents that were blocking FFB flight controls only recently expired.

The flight sim world advances one funeral at a time.

This typo made me laugh too much that I couldn't let this joke go by.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I knew the sim genre was cut throat but sheesh! :ohdear:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it will have to be a dedicated wheel base that supports moving the wheel in and out. If only to fully support crashing while driving an old car and have the steering wheel crush your rib cage.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my buddy let me fly his irl airplane for a few minutes and being able to actually feel the yoke and pitch trim interact was like a revelation. way more natural than in a sim, and kind of halfway ruined sim flying for me

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FebrezeNinja posted:

Those tend to be separate peripherals.
Saitek (now Logitech G) has a radio panel and a multi-panel (mostly autopilot controls) with LED displays.
VKB has a front switchboard module for autopilot stuff that's pretty nice, no displays.
There's this multi-use knob I saw a kickstarter for that seems to have been released.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did I see that some of these aren't compatible with some combination of the game and / or Windows 11? I thought I saw the Saitek one wasn't.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I bought a Logitech radio stack a few months ago that never showed up and I got my money back for and I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet.

I don't have to have the autopilot one as I can live with running it using the mouse.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

my buddy let me fly his irl airplane for a few minutes and being able to actually feel the yoke and pitch trim interact was like a revelation. way more natural than in a sim, and kind of halfway ruined sim flying for me

This is why we need good force feedback

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anyone have any feedback on this? I bought a Logitech radio stack a few months ago that never showed up and I got my money back for and I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet.

I don't have to have the autopilot one as I can live with running it using the mouse.
Searching around it definitely seems like the radio panel works for MSFS. Dunno about Win11. But also a lot of people saying to buy spad.next and use their drivers/scripts instead of the default ones, especially since Vatsim recently started allowing 8.33kHz intervals which the default logitech drivers don't handle, apparently?

And separate contingents saying to not get a physical panel and instead get Air Manager on a tablet and a Knobster to do radio/whatever stuff.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Rhino is where it's at for FFB in 2023.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

the milk machine posted:

The airplane I fly for my day job is fly by wire (except the ailerons, because Embraer is weird), so all of the control forces and speed/trim related changes to them are basically a really expensive FFB system.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

azflyboy posted:

The airplane I fly for my day job is fly by wire (except the ailerons, because Embraer is weird), so all of the control forces and speed/trim related changes to them are basically a really expensive FFB system.

that owns

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

The DC-10 was fly by cable, but still had a speed-sensitive load-feel system for the elevator control. It was heinously complex to work on and tune.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://youtu.be/I_b2abhiBww?si=wzaA4MCJXKkMqXwm

Best DCS module, coming to msfs. Land at miramar, fly inverted over an unnamed east asian country. See if you can get out of a flat spin. :radcat:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Is there a good list of recommended pay ware MSFS planes anywhere? I’m not interested in airliners but more props and turboprops.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm with you. I want the beech 1900 but it Seems to not exist for new flightsim, it existed for msfsx

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

xgalaxy posted:

Is there a good list of recommended pay ware MSFS planes anywhere? I’m not interested in airliners but more props and turboprops.

My personal favorites are the following:

• Cessna 337 Skymaster
  • Kodiak 100
  • DHC-6 Twin Otter
  • Beechcraft Model 18

My reviews for them are: fun to fly and have been worth purchasing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Natsuumi posted:

My personal favorites are the following:

• Cessna 337 Skymaster
  • Kodiak 100
  • DHC-6 Twin Otter
  • Beechcraft Model 18

My reviews for them are: fun to fly and have been worth purchasing.

It's worth mentioning that the Twin Otter is no longer available for sale anywhere.

Other than that, the Black Square King Air and TBM are both good, and the Milviz PC-6 is also very well done.

The Carenado Seneca and Mooney are both pretty solid products, and the AN-2 and DHC-4 from the Marketplace are also pretty fun, if a bit niche.

There's also some very good 3rd party freeware mods that fix a lot of the issues on the default piston airplanes on flightsim.to, so you might want to look into those if you're on PC.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 19, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
another thumbs up for the carenado skymaster, arrow, and archer

i really enjoy the twin otter, weird it was pulled off the market

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

the milk machine posted:

i really enjoy the twin otter, weird it was pulled off the market

The best guess anyone has at this point is that someone else bought the project off of Aerosoft, so it may have been Asobo acquiring it for FS2024, or some other developer that wants to try releasing it with a different model of customer service than the "Always blame the customer and threaten to sue anyone who fixes our janky FM" one Aerosoft used.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Thanks for the suggestions.
Do you all think it’s safe to buy these with 2024 around the corner or should I wait to see how compatibility actually shakes out first?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Most of the good ones say they’re going to upgrade for free, but yeah my appetite for buying modules is really low now just because the new game is coming.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Xakura posted:

https://youtu.be/I_b2abhiBww?si=wzaA4MCJXKkMqXwm

Best DCS module, coming to msfs. Land at miramar, fly inverted over an unnamed east asian country. See if you can get out of a flat spin. :radcat:

Lol in the description, bolding by me:

"prepare to experience flying your personal Tomcat all across the globe, recreating real life Tomcat cruises and flight experience in this legendary aircraft."

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions.
Do you all think it’s safe to buy these with 2024 around the corner or should I wait to see how compatibility actually shakes out first?

Asobo has said that they think the vast majority of addon aircraft will be compatible from the get go, and I don't have any reason to doubt that, since 2024 is pretty much just a refined version of 2020.

Basically all of the aircraft in the last few posts are relatively basic "behind the scenes" (in terms of not running complex custom code and relying heavily on the basic MSFS SDK and systems), and the couple that don't aren't doing anything super complicated, so I think the worst case that's likely for them would be a short delay for the developers to fix something.

It's also worth noting that the MSFS Marketplace is basically the 800lb gorilla for FS addon sales (developers have said it sells substantially more products than any other online shop), so it's pretty likely Asobo is making an effort to ensure Marketplace stuff works as-is when 2024 comes out.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 19, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I wouldn't be even the slightest bit worried about an addon from a reputable dev not working with 24, and even captainsim-tier shovelware will probably be fine.

Not mentioned yet: The A2A Comanche is the absolute gold standard for piston GA add-ons, and the new FSReborn Piper Meridian M500 FSR500 is excellent.

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
Cant go far wrong with this guide for all your addon needs :

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/your-current-top-10-aircraft/507204

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want to try the rewritten A320 neo in the new beta but the last two beta builds crash going into game when running on Proton, in any aircraft.

It's my fault for running the sim in an unsupported configuration but I do rather hope that either Proton or MSFS gets fixed before the next SU goes out.

EDIT: On the plus side I did get my terrain imagery back, six months after I lost it, thanks to the following method: https://www.protondb.com/app/1250410#YjWUYfOINq (Start up with Proton 6.3, it will instantly crash, switch back to a newer Proton, you'll be signed out of XBL and when you sign back in your terrain imagery will work)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Theris posted:

Not mentioned yet: The A2A Comanche is the absolute gold standard for piston GA add-ons.

:hmmyes:

A2A are the Heatblur of MSFS developers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I still remember all the hours I put into the fsx A2A cub. The float variant had a little paddle you had to click and drag with to row out to and from shore :3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spaced God posted:

I still remember all the hours I put into the fsx A2A cub. The float variant had a little paddle you had to click and drag with to row out to and from shore :3:

Bring back the A2A Boeing 377. :colbert:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oh my god they had the best B-17 and T-6 too

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

GA stuff:

I don't give a drat about opening doors, CB's popping, or random failures - I want something that feels nice, trims out easily (as best a PC sim can do, at least), sounds good, and asks that you treat it somewhat realistically.

Not necessarily study level :smug: but requires you to have at least glanced at the performance charts and know what the red knobbed lever does.

At approx 1 zillion hours into the A2A Comanche since it came out, I think it's by far the best GA plane in the sim right now.

Also spend a lot of time in the SWS Floatiak when I'm feelin' fancy and the Got Friends Wilga is my go-to for loving around. I believe the Wilga is on sale right now. I have a pretty nice Honeycomb yoke/throttle (+ custom stuff) setup but I kinda want to get a VKB stick just for the Wilga, it's that fun to goof around in.

EDIT: The SWS PC12 is due to be released any day now, which should be a great option for business class turboprop enthusiasts.

And let's not sleep on the WBSim/JPLogistics C152 mod. It's a free mod that's based on the work they did on their (paid) C172 mod[1]. I fly this all the time when doing short VOR to VOR trips, patterns, or just spend a chill hour putting around the neighbourhood.

You can find it in the downloads section of their discord:

https://discord.gg/kR2ZfgXpCu

[1] The WBSim 172 is also excellent but perhaps a bit pricey since you need the steam gauge Skyhawk from the Deluxe version of MSFS.

EDIT: Forgot!! The Black Square mods for the Bonanza and Baron are super good too.

Rot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 21, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Last time I flew the Carenado Seneca V I was going on my impressions based on flying the Seneca II years ago. Now I’ve got about 100 recent hours in it and I’m flying it most days. I might do a re-review on my day off if anyone is interested.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rot posted:

EDIT: Forgot!! The Black Square mods for the Bonanza and Baron are super good too.

Everything they do is great. I can't personally vouch for the TBM850 because the FSR500 fills that niche for me, but I have an absurd number of hours in the Caravan, King Air, Bonanza, and Baron.

Had the center console (power stand/podium/whatever you call the thing the throttle prop and condition levers are on) flood light in the Caravan fail on me the other day and it didn't just not work when I tried to turn it on, it briefly came on and made a loud "POP" sound. Neat little detail.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Rot posted:

And let's not sleep on the WBSim/JPLogistics C152 mod. It's a free mod that's based on the work they did on their (paid) C172 mod[1]. I fly this all the time when doing short VOR to VOR trips, patterns, or just spend a chill hour putting around the neighbourhood.

i installed this the other day and it's great! you can even enable an autopilot and the pms50 free gtn750 so you can follow a purple line very slowly.

feels great to fly

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bringing back .. Knobby buttons chat:

I got the Razer Streamdeck to try with MSFS. (Rebranded Loupedeck Live but $50 less). And it's really nice, Probably not $200 nice but it's cool to be able to set alt/vs etc with dials, you can use dials for radio numbers as well (laid out weird)

The real reason it's most likely going to go back is the following: I wanted to use it for more than just flight sim but their software cannot differentiate between "L-Ctrl and R-Ctrl (or other modifiers). I had some wishes for doing things in other games like Arma require L/R alt/shift etc.

I just ordered the Elgato Stream deck which has less buttons (but they're physical buttons) so we will see how well that plays with MSFS, (it does use left/right alt etc) and seems to be able to handle a little more complexity when it comes to scripting the buttons. .

I'm pretty sure my impressions are solely for MSFS it'll the Streamdeck will be better since there's 6 knobs vs 3 and 12 buttons vs 8. But we'll see how I feel once it gets here.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I haven't touched any A2A stuff in 10 years, but I LOVE their youtube ads for stuff. The guy gets so.... umm... into the copy.

"Just listen to the flap sounds..... oooooohhh yeaaaa"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I fly a DA40NG IRL, and I’ve been using the DA40NGx mod for a while. It doesn’t seem to be getting regular updates, but it gets the default MSFS NG close enough for it to be useful for IFR training.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tempted to replace my T16000m stick with a VKB gunfighter Gladiator. Any thoughts? Is it worth the upgrade? My current stick has some play in the center, but not so much I can't just deadzone it out.

Edit: Meant Gladiator, I'm not splashing out for the high end one.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Tempted to replace my T16000m stick with a VKB gunfighter. Any thoughts? Is it worth the upgrade? My current stick has some play in the center, but not so much I can't just deadzone it out.

I love my VKB stick and think it's much better than just about any non Virpil option out there for sticks. Have had zero issues with it except for games that just don't recognize all the buttons on it + my throttle without joystick gremlin or something similar.