Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I think this came up somewhat recently in the thread but I can't find it. Can anyone recommend a really good audible version of a book? I have a credit expiring soon and don't want to waste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

People say good things about the Locked Tomb audiobooks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

if someone is consciously writing fanfic in some subgenre called “wing fic”, it’s probably because they, and their audience, are extremely interested in descriptions of characters with wings. What are the wings doing, what do they look like, how do they feel. Oh, nice wings. What color are they. Are they like raven wings. You look like a beautiful Angel. Do you like to fly with your wings?

If you, like me, do not care about this, it’s probably good to know that the story you’re considering reading was written for people with this extremely narrow interest. Or else you, like me, will be extremely puzzled as to why Watson keeps talking about feathers.

A Sherlock Holmes wingfic must absolutely include one part where Holmes deduces everything about a person by observing the pattern of their feathers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Trampus posted:

I think this came up somewhat recently in the thread but I can't find it. Can anyone recommend a really good audible version of a book? I have a credit expiring soon and don't want to waste it.

MASTER AND COMMANDER BY PATRICK OBRIAN NARRATED BY PATRICK TULL :britain:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

thotsky posted:

I would be down for reading Sherlock Holmes fanfic, but would pass on Sherlock fanfic.

The most recent Holmes pastiche I read and liked was Aliette de Bodard's "The Tea Master and the Detective".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

General Battuta posted:

MASTER AND COMMANDER BY PATRICK OBRIAN NARRATED BY PATRICK TULL :britain:

Yeah but then you need to get the next 19 too.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Trampus posted:

Sci-fi? Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions, narrated by John Malkovich

Otherwise:

Norm Macdonald, Based on a True Story, narrated by Norm Macdonald
and yeah, the Aubrey-Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lester posted:

I'm very anti Audiobook, but that does sound pretty perfect a match.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I found the companion book, Harbors & High Seas by John B. Hattendorf super useful while reading them, but also strongly recommend Aubrey/Maturin.

If you're OK with skewing into horror a bit, NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, narrated by Katherine Mulgrew is easily the best audiobook (I'd read the print book first, listened to the audio book on a road trip with my wife, it was even better read aloud) I've ever listened to.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 13, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

It's the Immortal Knight series by Dan Davis. Turns out he's a history youtuber, and the premise of a vampire knight is just his gimmick to enable him write Cornwellian historical fiction. The vampire stuff has been very background so far, and the main character is traveling with Richard I on the first crusade and participates in major battles from history. It's actually not too bad, I was expecting some pulpy crap I'd wince my way through and instead it's competent military historical fiction. His prose is pretty threadbare but it moves like a rocket and he's good at staging and describing action and battles. A history youtuber writing a book that takes place in the crusades is a huge red flag, but I watched a couple of his videos and checked his twitter feed and he doesn't appear to be a crypto fascist. I don't know how vampirey it gets later on so if you're expecting the Vampire Council Decides The Immortal Knight Must Die!, well it ain't in the first half of the first book at least.

I must regretfully inform you all that this book is decent. It's really good mil hist fiction in the Bernard Cornwell model that makes a point to foreground the historical fidelity of the era, it's as violent as a 90s anime video tape, and that the whole 8 book series is free on kindle unlimited. But you have to read books called VAMPIRE OUTLAW and VAMPIRE TEMPLAR. It's also a wholly different take on vampirism than I've ever read the only two vampires we come across in book 1 were born like that, don't know what they are or why they're like that, and the main bad guy, upon coming back from the dead after being killed the first time, assumed he had been ordained by Christ to return to life and spread destruction in his name. None of the typical vampire folklore stuff has shown up, other than ageless immortality. Pretty much they are just somewhat stronger and faster than humans, drink blood, and none of the weaknesses have appeared yet. They can walk around in sun just fine, for example.

I'm on the second one now, and like Cornwell used his Warlord Chronicles to tell a "if King Arthur existed, here's how that could match up with the historical record" story, Davis is doing the same thing but with Robin Hood. It's also twice as long as the first book, so we'll see if that's plot bloat or if he's going to expand on description and setting; I thought the first book was lacking atmosphere.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

if someone is consciously writing fanfic in some subgenre called “wing fic”, it’s probably because they, and their audience, are extremely interested in descriptions of characters with wings. What are the wings doing, what do they look like, how do they feel. Oh, nice wings. What color are they. Are they like raven wings. You look like a beautiful Angel. Do you like to fly with your wings?

If you, like me, do not care about this, it’s probably good to know that the story you’re considering reading was written for people with this extremely narrow interest. Or else you, like me, will be extremely puzzled as to why Watson keeps talking about feathers.

I feel very dense because I definitely did not notice any excessive wing descriptions. I guess if I had known I might have noticed? But coming in blind I had no idea.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trampus posted:

Brief History of Seven Killings

I guess that's not SF but it's really good

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Lester posted:

Otherwise:

and yeah, the Aubrey-Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull

Thanks for the suggestions all. I went with Breakfast of Champions because I can get the other versions from my local library but not the John Malkovich version. That sounds too good to pass.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Awkward Davies posted:

Counter point: I thought it was fun and I enjoyed it, and think you should read it.

I don’t understand the sniffy “it’s just Sherlock fanfic”. So? Lots and lots of stuff is based on, or influenced by, or another version of something that already exists. Its not just a Sherlock rewrite, it’s been moved into a significantly different world. Sometimes the “fanfic” label feels like a way to try to delegitimize a book. The prose isn’t bad, it’s set in a weird fantasy London, and if you’re into that you should read it.

I didn't dislike it, but I found it disappointing that a lot of the stories in it were just wingfic retellings of classic Sherlock Holmes cases, with the same overall plot and the same solution to the mystery. It's possible those are ones that weren't adapted into Sherlock (the show) and thus would perhaps be less well known to that fandom, but coming to it having read the stories and not watched the show, it was disappointing that most of it was "the same as Doyle's cases but everyone has wings".

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't dislike it, but I found it disappointing that a lot of the stories in it were just wingfic retellings of classic Sherlock Holmes cases, with the same overall plot and the same solution to the mystery. It's possible those are ones that weren't adapted into Sherlock (the show) and thus would perhaps be less well known to that fandom, but coming to it having read the stories and not watched the show, it was disappointing that most of it was "the same as Doyle's cases but everyone has wings".

Being familiar with the stories I was also very underwhelmed. The one good thing that came from reading it though is that she mentioned using the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes for research, which is a really nice slipcase set that include all the original artwork by Sidney Paget as well as annotations explaining all the context, connections between cases, and the mistakes Watson made, and I ended up buying the whole thing.

Also The Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman is my favourite Holmes pastiche.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

mdemone posted:

Brief History of Seven Killings

I guess that's not SF but it's really good

Plus one-ing this even though OP already made a decision. So many great voice actors. Such an intricate plot.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders also amazing as an audio book with full voice cast. And slightly more speculative for thread relevance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crashbee posted:

Being familiar with the stories I was also very underwhelmed. The one good thing that came from reading it though is that she mentioned using the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes for research, which is a really nice slipcase set that include all the original artwork by Sidney Paget as well as annotations explaining all the context, connections between cases, and the mistakes Watson made, and I ended up buying the whole thing.

Also The Case of Death and Honey by Neil Gaiman is my favourite Holmes pastiche.

My favourite Holmes pastiche is the Stephen King story where Holmes's cat allergy renders him all stuffed up and miserable and as a result Watson has a chance to solve the mystery himself.

I looked it up: 'The Doctor's case' in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

a friendly penguin posted:

Plus one-ing this even though OP already made a decision. So many great voice actors. Such an intricate plot.

I don't even do audiobooks but I bought this one without reservation.

quote:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders also amazing as an audio book with full voice cast. And slightly more speculative for thread relevance.

I don't know if I can read/listen to that again until my son is older.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Lead out in cuffs posted:

hearing the narrator say Gideon's absolutely hideous lines was a joy

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Rain Brain posted:

Sherlock wing-fic fanfic
I thought the summary sounded a little random but I certainly never would have guessed that. I've read an embarrassing amount of fanfic and never heard of wing-fic.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD854O/

Night Watch (#1) by Sergei Lukyanenko - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB3FSNW/

Shadow (Scavenger #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3VX3TA/

The Two of Swords (#1) by KJ Parker - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5K2CK3/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Trampus posted:

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Myths read by the author.

Not in this genre but I’ve heard at least 3 versions of Catch-22 and they are all amazing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lester posted:

Lol, if this stuff is an option, that’s a great listen, the only comparable better thing is the Artie Lang book narrated by multiple semi-celebrities because Artie couldn’t make it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

I thought the summary sounded a little random but I certainly never would have guessed that. I've read an embarrassing amount of fanfic and never heard of wing-fic.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RRXXMA/

I had heard of wing fic, forgot it existed, and now this thread had to remind me.

Anyway that book right there is arguably the best fantasy book ever written. Certainly the best fantasy book about wizards.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crashbee posted:

Fair, I haven’t read any Sherlock Holmes in a long long time, so it didn’t jump out at me.

I guess I’d amend my recommendation: “don’t know anything about Sherlock? This book was fine!”

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My favourite Holmes pastiche, which I only read very recently, is Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, which everyone should read but probably only during October.

Edit: It's a story WITH Sherlock Holmes rather than one ABOUT Sherlock Holmes, so pastiche is probably not the right word, but you should read it anyway.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

ToxicFrog posted:

I didn't dislike it, but I found it disappointing that a lot of the stories in it were just wingfic retellings of classic Sherlock Holmes cases, with the same overall plot and the same solution to the mystery. It's possible those are ones that weren't adapted into Sherlock (the show) and thus would perhaps be less well known to that fandom, but coming to it having read the stories and not watched the show, it was disappointing that most of it was "the same as Doyle's cases but everyone has wings"

I want to emphasize that these are the EXACT SAME holmes stories with the EXACT SAME characters and EXACT SAME solutions just with a brooding angel guy around occasionally. occasionally! there is always a fanfic conversation to be had but this is more like faithfully transcribing hercule poirot except he has sephiroth hair this time.

I read THE THING IN THE SNOW which is a charming SCP-ish light comedy. it has that witty understated prose that is surprisingly hard to find.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I just looked up what wingfic was and now I have more questions.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OK, Googling "why does wingfic exist?" raises even more questions.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
you are going to find yourself in a very confusing spiral if this keeps going

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wingfic originates from the early 2000s era of fandom as I recall. I saw a fair amount of it back in the livejournal days, and I kind of miss it - it's a fun thing, if you just go with it? "What if my favorite character has wings now?" is honestly one of the cuter ideas to come out of fandom.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'll warn the the audibooks give you way more hints about what's going on because of the voices the reader does, the books already have a ton of foreshadowing but with the few extra hints from the reader I didn't feel like any of the books had surprises for me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wingfic originates from the early 2000s era of fandom as I recall. I saw a fair amount of it back in the livejournal days, and I kind of miss it - it's a fun thing, if you just go with it? "What if my favorite character has wings now?" is honestly one of the cuter ideas to come out of fandom.

quote:

Wingfic started within Domlijah fandom. These are folks who believe that Dominic Monaghan and Elijah Woods (yes, the actors, not their LotR characters) are (or in an ideal universe, would be) lovers, and create an elaborate fictional universe around this premise.

In a typical wingfic, one of them (typically Woods, IIRC) inexplicably sprouts big feathery angelic wings. He is convinced that he is grotesque, and tells his boyfriend not to look at him. His boyfriend has to convince him that he is beautiful.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Trampus posted:

The Sandman audio dramas they did are also very good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If you are a Sandman fan already, I found that the audio dramas really triggered my Sandman nostalgia in a way that the TV series didn't. Made me (fondly) feel like I was a sad gothy 16 year old again.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

cptn_dr posted:

My favourite Holmes pastiche, which I only read very recently, is Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, which everyone should read but probably only during October.

Yes! The book, in addition to being a joy (the narrator is a dog!), also has Excellent illustrations by Gahan Wilson, one for every chapter even, so def get a physical copy if you are interested. I always mean to do the one-chapter-per-day read over the course of October and then get sucked in and binge the whole thing.

Also that explanation of the origins of wingfic actually made me giggle. How delightfully insane.

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 14, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I just looked up what wingfic was and now I have more questions.

it's for the birds, op

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
New Murderbot is out, which jumps slightly back to fill in a story between the end of Network Effect and its epilogue. Overall I liked it but it felt like it was a lot of set up for whatever the post Network Effect stories are going to be.

Definitely not the strongest story, but I enjoyed the central conceit of having Murderbot dealing with self-inflicted imposter syndrome and PTSD in the wake of Network Effect. It also has some interesting implications for where the universe is heading and featured the genesis of a new overarching goal for Murderbot to pursue which has been a bit lacking since it joined up with Preservation.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Holmes pastiche is Sherduck Holmes vs. Fantomius, the gentleman duck thief.

Sadly, none of these stories have been published in English, so these are all scanlations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pradmer posted:

Night Watch (#1) by Sergei Lukyanenko - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB3FSNW/

Lukyanenko requires a bit of death of the author these days as he's cheerleading for Putin. On the other hand, so is anyone else over there who wants to live and keep being published.

Book is good, though.