Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

You absolutely can, that's how AppleCare+ monthly/annual works for any device. iPhones too.

Yup. Going on 3+ years for the wife’s iPhone 12 (on the monthly plan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Oh neat, thanks. I'm surprised that Apple would continue to offer coverage outside the 3-year window, I assume failure rates -- especially battery failures -- go up exponentially after 3 years. But it's good to know that it's an option. My dad is buying a new MBP and tends to keep laptops for years (he's replacing a 2015 MBP that finally had a logic board failure) so throwing $99/yr at Apple to keep old hardware limping along indefinitely seems like a pretty good deal for him.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lawen posted:

Oh neat, thanks. I'm surprised that Apple would continue to offer coverage outside the 3-year window, I assume failure rates -- especially battery failures -- go up exponentially after 3 years. But it's good to know that it's an option. My dad is buying a new MBP and tends to keep laptops for years (he's replacing a 2015 MBP that finally had a logic board failure) so throwing $99/yr at Apple to keep old hardware limping along indefinitely seems like a pretty good deal for him.

I mean, from Apple's perspective, it's relatively "easy" money: you're outside the normal high failure rate window, and a lot of people will see damage that isn't enough to make them call upon using it (dents, scratches, etc., that don't impact performance), so for the occasional high-dollar repair that is cheaper to the customer due to coverage, it's easily subsidized by others.

I don't think it's been going long enough yet to see how long they'll stretch it for; I wouldn't be surprised though if they provide it up until a product hits "Vintage" status; if not then, then definitely by "Obsolete".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How fast does Apple Music (the subscription) sync with a phone and the Mac app? For example, if I play a song on one device, how quickly does that last played time and playground change on the other? I have a bunch of playlists that are based on the number of plays or when the song was last played.

I tried ITunes Match years ago, and it never seemed to sync.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I think the answer is never, the mac app shows zero play count for a song I’ve listened to a bunch of times on the phone app

e: some other songs do show a positive play count, but they’re songs on my workout playlist and I’ve definitely listened to them more than the 30 times the mac app shows. Not sure I’ve listened to them 30 times on mac

ee: can’t find play count on the ios app at all

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 8, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hypnophant posted:

I think the answer is never, the mac app shows zero play count for a song I’ve listened to a bunch of times on the phone app

e: some other songs do show a positive play count, but they’re songs on my workout playlist and I’ve definitely listened to them more than the 30 times the mac app shows. Not sure I’ve listened to them 30 times on mac

ee: can’t find play count on the ios app at all

Alright, I may have to look at Roon. Metadata is the most important thing for me if it comes to leaving the Apple ecosystem for my music listening habit.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh man, I wish I could just stick with Arc, I really do, but I feel like every other update results in weird behaviour/performance issues, which often feel like they're undoing all the things I like about the new MacBooks - the main one being that it just seems to heat up the CPU and the underside of the laptop just gets really warm for no reason. The life of having my computer slowly cook my groin is a life I've left behind in 2023, but it happened again just now, and closing Arc and opening Safari and with the exact same tabs open the computer is back to its eerily cold former self.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
I switched to ARC and I loving love it. Chrome was a shambling broken mess compared to this browser, and I love having the extra space.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It’s definitely a step up from chrome!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My dad is about to buy a Mac for the first time and I’m trying to convince him that he doesn’t need 3rd party anti virus/security software. Does anyone have any handy links to credible authorities that can back me up? They need to have evidence. He’s a retired accountant and needs facts and figures and poo poo before he believes anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The problem is there is some credible malware threats out there, although the largest "threats" are actually useless software such as MacKeeper. If you show him a chart showing only 2% infections is he going to be OK with that or is that still enough of a threat to just reinforce his ideas.

You might be better off explaining that not only is MacOS a small target, but Apple already has built-in malware protection in MacOS and additional software is not required
https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/web

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The snide smug 2000s Mac person in me would be like "Why do you think you DO need third-party antivirus software?" all mystified-like

Like are you telling me there's an operating system out there where you have to buy extra protection just to run it properly because the OS doesn't handle it internally? How does that even work?? What's that from, the dark ages?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The problem is there is some credible malware threats out there, although the largest "threats" are actually useless software such as MacKeeper. If you show him a chart showing only 2% infections is he going to be OK with that or is that still enough of a threat to just reinforce his ideas.

You might be better off explaining that not only is MacOS a small target, but Apple already has built-in malware protection in MacOS and additional software is not required
https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/web

I showed him that link, and his response was ‘it’s meaningless because that’s just apple declaring that their stuff is safe, they don’t provide evidence or comparative testing or anything’

he’s stuck in this 90s mentality that there are all these scary viruses out there just waiting to infect him when he goes online. With his PC I was eventually able to convince him to just use windows defender but he still obsesses over AV testing from sites like AV Labs that do big comparative tests of security software that don’t reflect real world computer usage.

I think I’d need to show him charts that show infection rates with and without third party stuff, but also credible sources that explain why installing 3rd party security suites is a bad idea - for eg sources on why MacKeeper is bad (I have no idea what MacKeeper is).

at the end of the day if he installs something like Norton for Mac, Is he going to have any meaningful issues beyond wasting money? like are they going to slow his computer to a crawl, or actively harm his security?

He’s almost certainly going to be buying a base model 15” air.

He has an extremely annoying combination of total ignorance of all things computer related, but also a complete unwillingness to accept that someone just knows what they’re talking about and taking their advice at face value without ‘doing his own research’ and/or them providing concrete evidence to back up their advice.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 18, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

The Lord Bude posted:

I showed him that link, and his response was ‘it’s meaningless because that’s just apple declaring that their stuff is safe, they don’t provide evidence or comparative testing or anything’

he’s stuck in this 90s mentality that there are all these scary viruses out there just waiting to infect him when he goes online. With his PC I was eventually able to convince him to just use windows defender but he still obsesses over AV testing from sites like AV Labs that do big comparative tests of security software that don’t reflect real world computer usage.

I think I’d need to show him charts that show infection rates with and without third party stuff, but also credible sources that explain why installing 3rd party security suites is a bad idea - for eg sources on why MacKeeper is bad (I have no idea what MacKeeper is).

at the end of the day if he installs something like Norton for Mac, Is he going to have any meaningful issues beyond wasting money? like are they going to slow his computer to a crawl, or actively harm his security?

He’s almost certainly going to be buying a base model 15” air.

He has an extremely annoying combination of total ignorance of all things computer related, but also a complete unwillingness to accept that someone just knows what they’re talking about and taking their advice at face value without ‘doing his own research’ and/or them providing concrete evidence to back up their advice.

Can you ask him to explain how he thinks malware gains access to a computer's operating system? You can probably get his lead-addled brain to understand that simply avoiding lovely websites and using good ad-blockers is a much safer route than installing computer programs that will also gain access to his computer's OS.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Can you ask him to explain how he thinks malware gains access to a computer's operating system?

where should I be going with this line of questioning?

(Ultimately, though, I think anything of this sort is going to lead to him saying ‘but that’s just what you say, I need proof)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be less flippant about my answer I'd probably be like "There are X million Mac users in the world right now and none of them are running AV software. How many virus outbreaks on Mac do you hear about?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly if he’s being that stubborn just let him do it. It’s not going to really do any harm but yeah it will probably slow things down some.

I kinda had the same fight with my dad when he made the switch but I just refused to help him figure out how to install it so that solved that problem and he gave up.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

The Lord Bude posted:

where should I be going with this line of questioning?

(Ultimately, though, I think anything of this sort is going to lead to him saying ‘but that’s just what you say, I need proof)

I imagine that by you letting him come to the realization that viruses don't infect computers by the laptop inhaling respiratory droplets but rather by users browsing and downloading from lovely websites maybe you can have him understand his own behavior and what sites he frequents will have the greatest impact on how safe his browsing experience is...

Honestly you must have the patience of a saint because I would have :sever:'d already

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honestly just have him install Malwarebytes Free and cut your losses. If he wants to pay for the premium sub then fine. They’re slight less predatory than Norton and McAfee.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

I imagine that by you letting him come to the realization that viruses don't infect computers by the laptop inhaling respiratory droplets but rather by users browsing and downloading from lovely websites maybe you can have him understand his own behavior and what sites he frequents will have the greatest impact on how safe his browsing experience is...

Honestly you must have the patience of a saint because I would have :sever:'d already

I live with him, so can’t really sever. He is infuriating though. This is someone who keeps their computer disconnected from the internet unless they are actively using their web browser, and won’t do anything online until they’ve manually checked for updates that day and installed them.

He has a spreadsheet where he tracks how much he paid for fuel and what mileage he got out of that tank going back decades. He’s fundamentally broken.

Like, he can’t handle having a normal conversation with someone or having someone recount something. He expects people to communicate in executive summaries and bullet points, even in verbal conversation, with him ‘asking questions if he wants further elaboration on anything’ and gets frustrated when people don’t do that.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 18, 2023

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

About to get a 64gb mb3 max to do some major .net 8 coding and Mac gaming nothing better than a MBP hell yeah

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad is about to buy a Mac for the first time and I’m trying to convince him that he doesn’t need 3rd party anti virus/security software. Does anyone have any handy links to credible authorities that can back me up? They need to have evidence. He’s a retired accountant and needs facts and figures and poo poo before he believes anything.

Is he also buying office 365? It includes a decorative AV for mac which doesn't consume much in the way of resources to satiate this kind of clientele.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Is he also buying office 365? It includes a decorative AV for mac which doesn't consume much in the way of resources to satiate this kind of clientele.

He currently has an office 365 subscription but he is investigating swapping to numbers to save money and offset the cost of a Mac. He’s always been resentful of the office cost.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just let him do it man. It’s really not the end of the world.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

MarcusSA posted:

Just let him do it man. It’s really not the end of the world.

This was never about AV yes/no in the first place. It's about the abject despair of dealing with a parent like that. Or maybe I'm projecting.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We have to have AV for compliance reasons on our Macs and Linux boxes.
Malwarebytes is free for personal devices. I’m not even sure it’s running 99.99% of the time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

This was never about AV yes/no in the first place. It's about the abject despair of dealing with a parent like that. Or maybe I'm projecting.

I mean it would be nice to have something concrete to point him towards, if only so he shuts up about it.

But I’ve been trying to get him off his lovely $800 laptops and onto a Mac for many years, so I’m super invested in the experience being as good as possible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

fischtick posted:

We have to have AV for compliance reasons on our Macs and Linux boxes.
Malwarebytes is free for personal devices. I’m not even sure it’s running 99.99% of the time.

I thought Malwarebytes's schtick is that it doesn't normally run in the background unless you buy the subscription? The free version just lets you scan whenever you feel like.

Also, just for reference, Macs do come with a built-in antivirus program. It is called MRT or Malware Removal Tool, and is run by the system when it feels like it. It is not user-configurable.

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/10/23/mrt-what-do-we-know-about-it/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Quackles posted:

I thought Malwarebytes's schtick is that it doesn't normally run in the background unless you buy the subscription? The free version just lets you scan whenever you feel like.

Also, just for reference, Macs do come with a built-in antivirus program. It is called MRT or Malware Removal Tool, and is run by the system when it feels like it. It is not user-configurable.

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/10/23/mrt-what-do-we-know-about-it/

The big issue with my dad at least is, windows defender downloads updates daily, and this provides him with peace of mind. Macs don’t do this.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

I think you’re right for the free version. The enterprise version has a little agent that runs. Whatever it does and when is a low impact mystery.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mst4k posted:

About to get a 64gb mb3 max to do some major .net 8 coding and Mac gaming nothing better than a MBP hell yeah

Do you use Rider?

Apparently Microsoft is discontinuing Visual Studio for Mac, and I could never just never get into VSCode.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Lord Bude posted:

The big issue with my dad at least is, windows defender downloads updates daily, and this provides him with peace of mind. Macs don’t do this.

Sounds like he should just stick with a PC laptop

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Splinter posted:

Sounds like he should just stick with a PC laptop

He was going to until he experienced windows 11. The laptop went back to the store the next day.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
:psyduck:

The Lord Bude posted:

He was going to until he experienced windows 11. The laptop went back to the store the next day.

:psyboom:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I live with him, so can’t really sever. He is infuriating though. This is someone who keeps their computer disconnected from the internet unless they are actively using their web browser, and won’t do anything online until they’ve manually checked for updates that day and installed them.

He has a spreadsheet where he tracks how much he paid for fuel and what mileage he got out of that tank going back decades. He’s fundamentally broken.

Like, he can’t handle having a normal conversation with someone or having someone recount something. He expects people to communicate in executive summaries and bullet points, even in verbal conversation, with him ‘asking questions if he wants further elaboration on anything’ and gets frustrated when people don’t do that.

Sounds like he’d do well with little snitch (I assume it has high verbosity settings for him to get anal about)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Like his initial requirements for a laptop were to spend under $1k AUD, have a 15 inch screen and have a numeric keypad, and the laptop he bought was so bad that he did a 180 degree heel turn on everything except the screen size.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I updated to Windows 11 on my work laptop and it made me happy because it’s getting more and more Mac-like with every update.

Give us the system wide top menu bar you cowards.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

Let him do what he wants and when he complains the computer is running slow you can pull up activity monitor and show him Norton is eating all the CPU and battery (and if that never happens then there’s no problem).

E: Maybe show him how to use Homebrew for non-App Store apps so he can be happy running brew update every day :)

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 18, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I updated to Windows 11 on my work laptop and it made me happy because it’s getting more and more Mac-like with every update.

Give us the system wide top menu bar you cowards.

This is really only true in an ‘evil alternate universe version of MacOS’ kinda way. I bought my first Mac when the M1 Max studio came out after 4 generations of owning high end custom built gaming PCs, and a very large part of it was because windows was increasingly pissing me off (granted we both have iPhones and iPads).

TACD posted:

Let him do what he wants and when he complains the computer is running slow you can pull up activity monitor and show him Norton is eating all the CPU and battery (and if that never happens then there’s no problem).

E: Maybe show him how to use Homebrew for non-App Store apps so he can be happy running brew update every day :)

Nah realistically he needs Safari, mail and numbers or excel and that’s basically it. Once he has a Mac he’ll probably also use FaceTime, messages etc; the stuff that crosses over from his phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I more or less told my personal boomers that “malware and viruses are a business and it’s better business to target other operating systems since there simply aren’t that many Macs out there vs their Windows and Linux counterparts”. They seemed to accept that and I tossed MalwareBytes on there as well as a just in case they were familiar with. Traditional antivirus hasn’t really been a needed thing in a while since Windows Defender became with a drat so it may be worth reminding him about that fact if he’s coming from Windows.