Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Random David Garrard season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Doltos posted:

QBR is EPA divided by "action plays" which is any play they deem as more important than normal downs and it makes me angry how bad of a stat it is but that will trigger Blarzgh from his slumber

Doltos I honestly think it’s kind of an intriguing idea. That the old system where the max was 158.3 rated, and gave the QB equal credit for both of these plays:

1) first quarter of a scoreless tie. WR runs a go route, gets separation, QB hits him in stride for a 50 yard TD

2) last five minutes of a game, our QB is down 40-6. He completes a three-yard screen-type pass to an RB, there are a couple of missed tackles, a couple of good moves, and the RB takes it 47 more yards for a 50 yard TD

The old system they’ve used since the early 70s gives the QB the same score or points for both plays, whereas the newer QBR system gives a lot more credit to the QB for the first example, than it does the second.

Although, I have no earthly idea how they tabulate this.

ESPN staffers analyzing every single pass thrown by every QB in every game?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Passing is only one part of what a qb does

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
my god these past two pages are just a greatest hits catalog

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Toaster Beef posted:

They are missing the greatest hit of all:

gently caress the Cowboys.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, QBR is derived from the play by play data and run through whatever EPA and WP formula ESPN uses.

As I understand it, the QB's EPA is down weighted on plays where his team's win probability meets a garbage time threshold.

The newer QBR is probably fine as an additional measuring stick for QB efficiency, but it will inherently measure some things outside the QB's control.

Like throwing an interception will logically result in negative EPA, but the defense returning it for six is mostly random chance. QBR will grade the unlucky QB more harshly in that instance.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

Yes they have been, especially because the bottom graphic has my main man Toño Romo tied for 14th-best single season QBR ever :smug:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrMojok posted:

Doltos I honestly think it’s kind of an intriguing idea. That the old system where the max was 158.3 rated, and gave the QB equal credit for both of these plays:

1) first quarter of a scoreless tie. WR runs a go route, gets separation, QB hits him in stride for a 50 yard TD

2) last five minutes of a game, our QB is down 40-6. He completes a three-yard screen-type pass to an RB, there are a couple of missed tackles, a couple of good moves, and the RB takes it 47 more yards for a 50 yard TD

The old system they’ve used since the early 70s gives the QB the same score or points for both plays, whereas the newer QBR system gives a lot more credit to the QB for the first example, than it does the second.

The issue I have with this is I don't believe that they analyze every single pass equally. I have a hard time believing that subjective analysis of a play by multiple outsiders can be of the same constant quality or interpretation.

I think also the war against early quarter/down stats and garbage time are bad for stats in general. Either everything counts or nothing counts if you're doing a measurement of what happened in a game. I think that anyone who gives Blarzgh crap about not believing in intangibles should also believe in the intangibles of running up a score or 'wasting' early possessions tiring out defenses.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Doltos posted:

The issue I have with this is I don't believe that they analyze every single pass equally. I have a hard time believing that subjective analysis of a play by multiple outsiders can be of the same constant quality or interpretation.

I think also the war against early quarter/down stats and garbage time are bad for stats in general. Either everything counts or nothing counts if you're doing a measurement of what happened in a game. I think that anyone who gives Blarzgh crap about not believing in intangibles should also believe in the intangibles of running up a score or 'wasting' early possessions tiring out defenses.

Yeah, it all comes from this urge to find a single stat that will tell you if a given football player is good or not with unerring accuracy and in complete isolation, without having to look at any surrounding context. And that's impossible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That stat exists though

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

euphronius posted:

That stat exists though

Is that wins or rings?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rings factor in League office intervention heavily so wins are more pure

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just win baby

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

QBR isn’t even like a real stat, it’s just make believe numbers for nerds.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
One thing that can't be disputed is that the cowboys have handled the poo poo teams exactly how you'd expect and the eagles have been gasping for air just to beat them and even losing to Zach wilson.Wilson.

Doltos posted:

Game context shouldn't matter? This is loving intangibles erasure!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zack is the best qb in the nfce don’t spoil his name

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It wasn’t NFCE and I don’t know if any of you were watching it, but we just had one of the alltime great clownball games on MNF.

If you didn’t see it, trust me… check out the highlights.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

It was a very nfce ending that’s for sure

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ConnorNFLDraft/status/1724080051598000273?t=AindZIW5Jdzy633VWUdnTw&s=19

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

It was a very nfce ending that’s for sure

I am still sitting here like an hour later thinking, “There is no way I saw what I just saw. That just cannot have really happened.”

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I sometimes wonder if some of yall even like football.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I love football

I'm wondering when my team will play it again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watching a lot of high school football really reinvigorated my love of the game.
The nfl does a pretty good job. They need to get rid of “instant” replay and about half the commercials tho.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

I sometimes wonder if some of yall even like football.

Its great except when the Cowboys are on, then its only great if they’re losing. HTH

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Cash Monet posted:

they're a top 5 offense this year with Big Mike and Brian Schottenheimer running the show.

Not many guys can do that!

statistically sure, which lets you know the value of those statistics. not a single one of us cowboys fans post "wow this top five offense is really cruising!!" during a (non-Giants) game, it's all accurate criticisms and handwringing about play design and sequencing and all that poo poo. the fact that they're top five statistically is laughable

MrMojok posted:

Thread favorite Carson Wentz coming in at #19!

again, this is more illustrative of how trustworthy football stats are than the quality of those seasons (Garrard at 7 lol)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People say “top 5 offense”but what do they mean by that ?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

indigi posted:

(Garrard at 7 lol)

I had to look that up. He started twelve games that season (they were 9-3 during those games) and threw 18 TDs to only 3 INTs, which is pretty decent. 7.7 yards per attempt.

He also averaged only about 200 yards passing per game.

:shrug:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

People say “top 5 offense”but what do they mean by that ?

I was referring to scoring. They finished 4th last year and are 2nd right now.

Fake E: I was looking at total points but for offensive points scored they finished top 5 last year and are top 5 right now.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 14, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MrMojok posted:

It wasn’t NFCE and I don’t know if any of you were watching it, but we just had one of the alltime great clownball games on MNF.

If you didn’t see it, trust me… check out the highlights.
My theory is that if an NFCE team is on bye, it creates excess Clownball that has to be burned off on Monday night.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

One thing that can't be disputed is that the cowboys have handled the poo poo teams exactly how you'd expect and the eagles have been gasping for air just to beat them and even losing to Zach wilson.

I’d like to revisit this conversation after the upcoming Thanksgiving Clownbowl between the Commanders and Cowboys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok say scoring then. I don't think scoring is a 1:1 replacement for "offense". Offense is also keeping the other team from scoring for example.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dak passes well (ignoring interceptions) and the Dallas offense scores points when hes the QB. That is true.

Do we finally have consensus???

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish the Cowboys could play the Giants forever

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I’d like to revisit this conversation after the upcoming Thanksgiving Clownbowl between the Commanders and Cowboys.

no joke. Absolute upset potential

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Ok say scoring then. I don't think scoring is a 1:1 replacement for "offense". Offense is also keeping the other team from scoring for example.

Oh poo poo tthis poor guy has been turning the TV off when the eagles punt or score, he doesn't know that they have a defense who also plays half the game

Its almost magical, that he's going to discover a whole world of football (defenses) that he's never seen before!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the better offense for team A

Scenario 1 Team A wins 21-17
Scenario 2 Team A loses 24-31

Assume all points are scored by offenses

(The answer is Scenario 1)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stopping the other team from scoring is the second most important thing an offense can do overall

At some points of a game it is the most important thing an offense can do

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

blarzgh posted:

Oh poo poo tthis poor guy has been turning the TV off when the eagles punt or score, he doesn't know that they have a defense who also plays half the game

Its almost magical, that he's going to discover a whole world of football (defenses) that he's never seen before!

From watching the Eagles offense against the Cowboys, I think anyone could be forgiven for assuming defense doesn't exist

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Black Lighter posted:

From watching the Eagles offense against the Cowboys, I think anyone could be forgiven for assuming defense doesn't exist

Heyooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Stopping the other team from scoring is the second most important thing an offense can do overall

At some points of a game it is the most important thing an offense can do

The offense doesn't play defense, Time of Possession is a consequence of successful offense, not an objective.

It is a myth that Defenses who are 'rested' have any advantage - there is no evidence that a defense is any more or less successful following a lengthy offensive possession.