Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It definitely does get easier when you know your build decently and control scheme decently, it's basically muscle memory at this point, unless I'm playing some new spec with extra buttons.

Definitely make sure youve got a control scheme set that has everything in reach. I find even with wasd there are enough keys within reach to cover everything - I can hit f1-4 and numbers 1-5, heal on z, utilities on qer, elite on c, weapon swap on ~, and dodge on v (although I've actually bound that to a side button on my mouse, it's my only mouse button for gw2). Stuff I use less often, in less critical situations, like the special context skill and mounts, are on ctrl modified keys - you can use ctrl, shift or alt to double up on your binds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
As in any game it is highly recommended you set up the keys in a manner that is easy to reach and build muscle memory early on, it sucks getting over the muscle memory hump of hitting your old hotkeys.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
With regard to too many buttons:
I use WASD and have my utility buttons (6-0) bound to z q e r c

My attacks are bound to my mouse thumb cluster

Weapon swap on middle mouse

Targeting is mousehweel left or right for cycle enemy or closest enemy

F1 through f5 are control + thumb cluster

Mount combos are x, control x , alt x, control alt x, etc

You don't need an MMO mouse by any means, but I've found it's helpful to have a few extra buttons available on otherwise unused fingies to spread the workload

Also also, I know some people who swear by a controller, so if that's more your jam, there are some really good resources available for that on YouTube, Reddit and surprisingly the steam controller layout forums.

Hope this helps.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I didn't even know there was legendary gear... gently caress, why am I trying to grind geodes?

I finish HoT the other day and that last fight is stupid. Chasing nigh invincible mobs around is dumb. I did start LW3 and there's an early fight where you have to countermagic to break a shield and I missed something so ended up looking it up on how to kill Adrienne. Some of the story fights are a huge pain in the clock.

LordAdakos posted:

With regard to too many buttons:
I use WASD and have my utility buttons (6-0) bound to z q e r c

My attacks are bound to my mouse thumb cluster

Weapon swap on middle mouse

Targeting is mousehweel left or right for cycle enemy or closest enemy

F1 through f5 are control + thumb cluster

Mount combos are x, control x , alt x, control alt x, etc

You don't need an MMO mouse by any means, but I've found it's helpful to have a few extra buttons available on otherwise unused fingies to spread the workload

Also also, I know some people who swear by a controller, so if that's more your jam, there are some really good resources available for that on YouTube, Reddit and surprisingly the steam controller layout forums.

Hope this helps.

by thumb cluster do you mean like a bunch of buttons? I thought about getting a second mouse for this and a couple other games. I just got 2 thumb buttons because mine is pretty much an fps mouse(Rival 300)

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

nesamdoom posted:

by thumb cluster do you mean like a bunch of buttons? I thought about getting a second mouse for this and a couple other games. I just got 2 thumb buttons because mine is pretty much an fps mouse(Rival 300)

Yeah, I set this up when I had a 5 thumb button mouse, but I've upgraded to an MMO mouse (the razer naga one with the swappable side panels) . I've found so many reasons to bind things to either the 2, 6 or 12 button side panels it's been a game changer, especially since I have what mrs. Mellenger, my old music teacher, used to call "stupid fingers".

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thank you all for the tips, you helpful bastards :-) I'll let you know how it goes.
As I thought, and a few have said, moving wasd along a bit and grouping stuff seems to be the best idea. I should really start now rather than have to unlearn stuff I guess. Gonna make sure I'm heading in a low effort build direction too

I recently got a new mouse with a couple of extra buttons that will help a bit. Not a button frenzy mmo type one, I tried one a while back and hated it. It really didn't go well with my "frightened claw" grip style.
It's an ambidextrous razer one so just has a couple of extra back/forward on the "other" side. Liking it so far and would recommend it in general if anyone is looking

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Meskhenet posted:

Start with jewelry, (as every toon will use the same slots)

(but do armour and weapons as you like)

Counterpoint: ascended jewellery is really easy to get «for free» from map currencies.

The legendary jewellery (sans amulet) require a large amount of gold as well as an enormous amount of time in doing various achievements/collections.

Before starting on a legendary you really should think through whether or not the QOL of having them is worth it to you.

Stat swapping sounds great but how often would you REALLY need it?

I have played since release and got my first legendary literally today, and that was the amulet which only requires time and not a thousand gold in resouces as well.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

LordAdakos posted:

Yeah, I set this up when I had a 5 thumb button mouse, but I've upgraded to an MMO mouse (the razer naga one with the swappable side panels) . I've found so many reasons to bind things to either the 2, 6 or 12 button side panels it's been a game changer, especially since I have what mrs. Mellenger, my old music teacher, used to call "stupid fingers".

I thought about getting a Naga Hex years back, fun round button config. But, I'm looking at maybe this, the nagas are pretty good? Because that's a lot of buttons and I could pretty much swipe through combos and still have a row of mounts.

Ineptitude posted:

Counterpoint: ascended jewellery is really easy to get «for free» from map currencies.

I noticed this again recently. Like some pvp or certain map grinds and a bunch of ascended stuff isn't too hard to get by playing.
It's probably easier to gear up a couple toons than to get legendary stuff. I've got a bunch of extras in bank I haven't even used.

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 13, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ineptitude posted:

The legendary jewellery (sans amulet) require a large amount of gold as well as an enormous amount of time in doing various achievements/collections.

Before starting on a legendary you really should think through whether or not the QOL of having them is worth it to you.

I have played since release and got my first legendary literally today, and that was the amulet which only requires time and not a thousand gold in resouces as well.

I'm less than 3 years in and I've got a fair number of legendaries. I play multiple characters regularly and love trying out builds so I love the stat swapping and not needing to grind out another trinket or whatever when I want to try something.

Gold is easy come, easy go.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

What are convergences?

I came to GW2 after playing WoW style MMOs for years, having a maximum of 15 keybinds + dodge in combat always felt like heaven to me. The number of mounts we're getting is slowly stretching the number of accessible F-keys to the breaking point though.

Speaking of legendaries, I just finished Nevermore and its even better than I thought. Shame the new Gen is all copy-pasted, Gen1/2 are great.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Wuxi posted:

What are convergences?

I came to GW2 after playing WoW style MMOs for years, having a maximum of 15 keybinds + dodge in combat always felt like heaven to me. The number of mounts we're getting is slowly stretching the number of accessible F-keys to the breaking point though.

Speaking of legendaries, I just finished Nevermore and its even better than I thought. Shame the new Gen is all copy-pasted, Gen1/2 are great.

zxcvb then ctrl+ them. Are you reaching for Fs for mounts? No shame, just different ways people bind stuff is interesting.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
Re: many functions: I tried an MMO mouse but depend on it too much for targeting, aiming etc to be hitting buttons at the same time and ouch, hand cramps. Just enough buttons for 1+3, target enemy, Dodge and auto run.

For everything else I use an offhand keyboard replacement thingy. For right handers, the Belkin nostromo/razer Tartarus has supportive ergonomics, plenty of keys (arrows + at least 1-10), space bar, and a thumb d-pad. I map the d-pad to alt-#s (forward, all mounts), alt-shift (back, weapon sheathe and swaps etc) and special action (down). And, and, a separate thumb button mapped to F. Perfect for all these guild wars.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Wuxi posted:

What are convergences?

They are 50 man instanced content added in the last patch. The portal is in the Wizard's Tower. Public instance every 3 hours?

They're fun, definitely give it a try if you have SotO.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Numpad mount supremacy

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Today's new weapon blog: Revenant scepter

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/create-otherworldly-bonds-when-revenants-brandish-scepters/

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
My button bloat solution was to make a custom Joy2Key setup so this game plays like FF14. It only works for combat and general movement while in action camera mode, but I can switch to KB+M in an instant since I'm sitting in front of my computer anyway.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

I was hyped until I read the third skill had ally targeting which means the weapon is unusable with action cam, just as with specter. No idea why they do that as even without using action cam targeting allies is rear end in this game. Oh well.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Looks cool, sounds cool. The thing I was most missing from the last set of elite specs was the great sfx that the HoT/PoF specs and weapons had and its kinda back with this.

Although I'm kinda worried that the Necro swords are going to be support weapons with the current ratio.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Late Unpleasantness posted:

Re: many functions: I tried an MMO mouse but depend on it too much for targeting, aiming etc to be hitting buttons at the same time and ouch, hand cramps. Just enough buttons for 1+3, target enemy, Dodge and auto run.

For everything else I use an offhand keyboard replacement thingy. For right handers, the Belkin nostromo/razer Tartarus has supportive ergonomics, plenty of keys (arrows + at least 1-10), space bar, and a thumb d-pad. I map the d-pad to alt-#s (forward, all mounts), alt-shift (back, weapon sheathe and swaps etc) and special action (down). And, and, a separate thumb button mapped to F. Perfect for all these guild wars.

I had a nostromo for years until it died and it was awesome. I could lean way back in a lounge chair and use that and my mouse on the arms of the chair. It was peak laziness. But, yea it's definitely very nice in the hand and the thumb buttons are great when bound to quick actions in games.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

I was hyped until I read the third skill had ally targeting which means the weapon is unusable with action cam, just as with specter. No idea why they do that as even without using action cam targeting allies is rear end in this game. Oh well.

Sounds like you can completely ignore that aspect of it and just target enemies

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

gandlethorpe posted:

Sounds like you can completely ignore that aspect of it and just target enemies

Yeah you're problably right. With specter the main issue is the autoattack having ally targetting and that is thankfully not the case here. The weapon sounds really good othewise, barrier on autoattack and on 2 + the aegis on shield 4 is going to make heal herald disgustingly strong.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Rev scepter seems like a really good pair for shield+staff for heals, I am pleased.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

nesamdoom posted:

gently caress, why am I trying to grind geodes?

map completion will give you like 400 or something, and takes about 10 mins (with skyscale,)

And yes asc jewelry is easy to get with map currency, but if you start your leggy trinkets early you get them sooner because they do take so long.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Who's the sick gently caress who designed this collection? I just wanna talk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i must have done those tokens like 10 years ago at this point because i don't have an even faint recollection of doing it, but it's completed. only thing i remember is liking the jumpy because i was doing it in the middle of the night and there was nobody else around to spoil it so i spent like 8 hours just exploring the volcano

i recently did it again and it sucks, there's so many surfaces that are randomly walkable or make you slide into the abyss with zero indication which is which lmao

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Lots of the stuff for the Return to missions overlaps the collections for two of the leggie jewels, so worth unlocking the collections as soon as you can

Or be like me and have to do Chalice of Tears three times

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

If you are considering legendary trinkets start working on your Wayfarer's Henge now.

Yes, you. Start now. You'll be grateful later.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

If you are considering legendary trinkets start working on your Wayfarer's Henge now.

Yes, you. Start now. You'll be grateful later.

What's the bottleneck on this, the runestones? Apparently, it takes 16 days to get the amount needed. But everything else is not time-gated, right?

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't say leggy trinkets are a no-brainer to shoot for first. Ascended trinkets are very easy to acquire and share between characters, at least compared to weapons and armor. Plus, almost all of the ways to acquire them involve jumping through a multitude of hoops of that range from tedious to rage-inducing. Case in point, the above.

Personally, I think runes/sigils are up there in desirability. Universally useful, save a ton of inventory space and salvaging worries, let you dick around with different builds (at least before relics, but leggy runes will give progress towards the eventual leggy relic). And no collections involved, just straight crafting.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

What's the bottleneck on this, the runestones? Apparently, it takes 16 days to get the amount needed. But everything else is not time-gated, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't say leggy trinkets are a no-brainer to shoot for first. Ascended trinkets are very easy to acquire and share between characters, at least compared to weapons and armor. Plus, almost all of the ways to acquire them involve jumping through a multitude of hoops of that range from tedious to rage-inducing. Case in point, the above.

Yeah the runestones are the time gate. But the good news is you get an Ascended backpack in the process!

Draconis Mons is a neat zone in general, but it's also a lot more tolerable with the griffon and/or skyscale to navigate. I highly recommend getting those prior to working on Aurora.

While ascended trinkets are readily available in various places, it's nice to not have to think about having laurels lying around when you want to try out a new build. I highly recommend getting the trinkets, necklace, and Ad Infinitum for general quality of life, as every single character and build you play will be able to make use of them. But as said before in the thread, legendary gear is never necessary to enjoy the game even in high difficulty content.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

16 days if you spend 16k volatile magic, 20 days otherwise

i opted for the 20 day version because i'm lazy. considering volatile magic is also used for a shitton of other poo poo, i'd rather just spend 16k more karma lol

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah the runestones are the time gate. But the good news is you get an Ascended backpack in the process!

I've got a leggy backpack already! PvP, never again. Pretty skin though.

The thing that worries me about doing the LS3-4 accessories and the Return amulet is any potential group content that'll be hard to do reliably with underpopulated zones. I kind of ducked out of the game around the second half of LS3, too, so I'm not highly familiar with those maps or their metas/mechanics.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
at least on eu, the zones are constantly populated during afternoons, evenings and weekends, and daily zone usually also outside that

and the current weekly rift zone is generally fuckin packed and then people do other things like palawadan etc once they get tired of rifting :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

gandlethorpe posted:

The thing that worries me about doing the LS3-4 accessories and the Return amulet is any potential group content that'll be hard to do reliably with underpopulated zones. I kind of ducked out of the game around the second half of LS3, too, so I'm not highly familiar with those maps or their metas/mechanics.

Another reason to start early, each zone is much more populus when the daily rolls round there

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Is there anything more to the Henge besides 6 achievement points and a (admittedly cool-looking) Ascended piece?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You need it for Aurora

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

People complain about the runestone timegate for Wayfarer's Henge but nobody ever talks about the thousands of Kralkatite ore you need to make the 6 weapons in Istan for Vision, which was way more annoying to me. At least you can speed it up with every character you have at 80 going to fix mirrors and wake up drunk pirates.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The meta way to get kralkatite is parking your alts by chests in Bjora, as well as do Dragonstorm and Drakkar. Then you exchange the eternal ice at the karma merchant, under the Glittering Stones From Afar tab.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm using the jade sliver recycler module right now but not sure what to spend it on. Guess it'll be Kralka ore.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Meskhenet posted:

map completion will give you like 400 or something, and takes about 10 mins (with skyscale,)

And yes asc jewelry is easy to get with map currency, but if you start your leggy trinkets early you get them sooner because they do take so long.

I just looked up them and will have to start. Just got to the second place in LW3 and I'll need to look for tokens now. I'm pretty much already working on Aurora without having known it was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Ive logged out so cant say for sure,

but the dailies for LW3+4 cycle. Meaning that when it is a daily you are pretty much certain to find other players on the map that will come help you kill those stupid bosses and stuff.

And another tip for geodes.

you will get more geodes in like the last 10-15 minutes of the sandstorm than the entire time before doing bosses and quests. (or get that jade recycler as meantioned above)

Its a really stupid map.

Tokens, is that silverwastes? just join a RIBA group for a few hours (bandit crests)

oh wait, thats ember bay................................... omg yeah, good luck that and draconis mons suck.