Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1960)
That WAS a pretty weird business career Timmera had. I mean, I don't think I ever saw him wear a tie.
We've all been there.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Woapalanne posted:

Wait a second - is this all a long con from Rene and that guy is also in on it? And the whole arrest thing faked?
Nah, he's just happy to be making easy money.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/18-20/51

The last panel is a pun on the Fuller Brush Company, which was well known back then for its door-to-door salesmen.

Which reminds me of a news story I read once about a potential merger between the Yale Lock Company, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush, and W. R. Grace Chemicals. The new company would have been called Yale Mary Fuller Grace.

Anyway, back to the strips...

Archie 9/20-22/48

Ah yes, the days when shop class was actually a thing.

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/4-6/51

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 14, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

THE BABY PISSES HERSELF AND IT SOFTENS HER QUILLS I GUESS PLEASE STOP WRITING BABY COMICS ALSO I GUESS HE'D ALREADY FIGURED OUT WHAT THE LION/RHINO WOULD LOOK LIKE BY NOW

Holy gently caress That Store Name Rules

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'm late on the Flash Gordon train, but so far, so good! The art, the colors, the economy of storytelling...I'm really digging it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Catching up with another missed Sunday night and A Sketchy Life for November 10, 1927. Our theme this week is football, leading with Garrett Price.

Tim Taylor:

J. Norman Lynd:

Chuck Thorndike:

Al Frueh:

Ned Hilton:

And something really fascinating hiding in the not-from-around-here back pages: a Charles E. Kelly cartoon picked up from the legendary-in-some-quarters Dublin Opinion.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 1-4, 2004)

First appearance: Wayne. Yeah, that's all I got.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I was an English major and I still recognize that the reason your math teacher marked you wrong if you didn't use the method he taught you is because the whole point is he's trying to teach you that method. The point is to learn the concept, not the equation.

That rant was originally much, much longer because Nancy's been so Boomerey lately it broke my brain and I suddenly flashed back to arguing with olds on Facebook like I was back in Nam. Anyway, I'm better now, so I deleted most of it.

Luann

"Gun! I finally realized what a fool I was for not giving up on my hopes and dreams so I could spend my days sitting in your house watching Star Trek while listening to you fart into your beanbag chair!"

Gil Thorp

Valley Tech's been working on their power poses

Home Free

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

Valley Tech's been working on their power poses

Working on their poses, not working on understanding the inarguable tactical advantage of deferring starting possession to the second half.

What a wholesome Leroy moment. And to think this strip gets pigeonholed as "That one about the husband and wife who hate each other."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

I was an English major and I still recognize that the reason your math teacher marked you wrong if you didn't use the method he taught you is because the whole point is he's trying to teach you that method. The point is to learn the concept, not the equation.
He marked her wrong because she did length x width instead of width x length. She used the correct method and got the correct result and (correctly) understood that the order of the two measurements was unimportant. The teacher is in the wrong here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

E:

since most people probably don't know what a Finlandia Prize is:

"The Finlandia Prize (Finnish: Finlandia-palkinto; Swedish: Finlandiaprisen) is a set of Finnish literary prizes awarded by the Finnish Book Foundation to "celebrate reading and highlight new Finnish first-rate literature." Considered the most prestigious in the nation, they are awarded annually in three categories: fiction, non-fiction and children's and youth literature. The prize was first awarded in 1984."

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 14, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 11, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hostile V posted:

Holy gently caress That Store Name Rules

Hebrews 7:24
24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 03, 1960)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Thank you very much. The Platonic ideal of WAR encapsulated in one little excerpt.

EasyEW posted:

And something really fascinating hiding in the not-from-around-here back pages: a Charles E. Kelly cartoon picked up from the legendary-in-some-quarters Dublin Opinion.

Literal lol at this one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/13/03

Brenda Starr 1/27/52

Smokey Stover 12/29/57

Everyday Movies 12/17/36

"There -- do you think she'd like that one?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/26/42

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 11, 1935)

Peanuts (November 16, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (January 31-Feb 2, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 18, 1940)

Meanwhile, in the present (Olive & Popeye), something may be about to happen in Olive's ghost story. Don't pop the popcorn just yet, though.

Out Our Way (April 22-24, 1943)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 14, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

A somewhat historical accurate Hagar. Insults were a big deal in the viking age. According to Icelandic law, a person who mocked someone else with a verse could be outlawed for example.
Then there's Njål's saga. Flose and Njål had reached a settlement over a murder and Njål was to pay Flose an amount of silver. But when Njål put a piece of velvet on the silver Flose felt insulted because it was too womanly. Flose then said "many people like Njål doesn't know if he's a woman or a man." One of Njål's sons then retorted with "people say that you're the pleasure of the Svinefell Giant that every ninth night makes a woman out of you". poo poo escalated from there and at the end Flose burned down Njål's house with Njål and his sons inside it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Well, this makes TOO much sense...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "382 - Jucika And The Drunk"

"383 - Jucika And The Vending Machine"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Spoilered for sex.

Incidentally, a small-sample-size informal poll of “some Japanese friends of mine who are comfortable talking about it” suggests that this sort of thing (er, the sex-having, anyway) is sometimes basically just part of being a Japanese parent. Co-sleeping with an infant is pretty common (especially if you’re in a futon rather than a bed), and having an infant sleep in another room is more or less completely unheard of – until they’re one or two (and often quite a bit longer) a baby is almost certain to be, if not in the parents’ futon, in a crib in the parents’ room at the furthest, so lots of parents just sort of quietly make do, as it were.

Bardiche Hotel

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

THE FINAL FAMILY CIRCUS

Retail

Popcom

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 14, 2023

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Don't ask if you don't want an answer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Apparently Enka is just modern Japanese music that's meant to sound like traditional Japanese music

Here's the first thing I found searching "Enka" on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DVnyyb8U8

Basically seems like Japanese Adult Contemporary so it's not awful but I can imagine hating it if you hear it a lot

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

"Gun! I finally realized what a fool I was for not giving up on my hopes and dreams so I could spend my days sitting in your house watching Star Trek while listening to you fart into your beanbag chair!"

Bets is about to do something that will get her dropped by her sponsors, isn't she.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

So I guess the prior plan of "Use actual magic to make researchers win the lottery and forget about DNA magic" wasn't sustainable.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

maltesh posted:

Bets is about to do something that will get her dropped by her sponsors, isn't she.

She's going to kill Luann and end this comic strip.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CommaToes posted:

She's going to kill Luann and end this comic strip.

if only

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

E:

since most people probably don't know what a Finlandia Prize is:

"The Finlandia Prize (Finnish: Finlandia-palkinto; Swedish: Finlandiaprisen) is a set of Finnish literary prizes awarded by the Finnish Book Foundation to "celebrate reading and highlight new Finnish first-rate literature." Considered the most prestigious in the nation, they are awarded annually in three categories: fiction, non-fiction and children's and youth literature. The prize was first awarded in 1984."
At first I thought his hand was sore from writing then I realized the joke.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Typical.

Apartment 3-G

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Drowning In Breastmilk

I Sense A Theme This Week

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (March 5-10, 2004)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/21/51

Archie 9/23-25/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/7/51