Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I have no idea on the quality but Marvel had a 1980s comic called The 'Nam and at least some of it is available on Marvel Unlimited I'm pretty sure.

The 'Nam is pretty good. Larry Hama consulted on it to help with the realism and it had an interesting gimmick of the book taking place in real time. What that means is that time passed in the comic so 12 issues was a year to the characters. So there were characters kind of cycling in and out of the story. While it isn't a "mature" title like Punisher Max it doesn't sugarcoat the war either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Technically not superpowered:

heheheh! :D Thanks for the picks btw, all - I've ordered KobK and Sara, so far. Seems like Punisher isn't widely available down my way, but I'll keep an eye out for it. It's getting late here, but I'll have to poke around for The 'Nam tomorrow too, since that does sound interesting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask for recs in, but does anyone know of some good non-superpowered war (preferably Vietnam or maybe the Pacific) and/or vigilante comics/GNs off-hand, by any chance? (Obviously not both in one, as that would... be difficult, unless it was about The Comedian from Watchmen, I guess)
Since I'm kinda feeling like reading something in that style, but I'm not sure where to start. Preferably something that comes in a 'complete edition'/omni, so that I don't need to hunt down thirty issues, I guess

Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths is a memoir about fighting in the Pacific in WW2

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's also Unknown Soldier, which Ennis had a run on and is centered around Nam. It's sort of supernatural but not a Cape comic or anything

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd also recommend the various war comics that EC published back in the day. There's a lot of good stuff in there, especially in regards to the Korean War.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

There's also Unknown Soldier, which Ennis had a run on and is centered around Nam. It's sort of supernatural but not a Cape comic or anything

Going with Unknown Soldier Joshua Dyskart did an excellent (and bleak) update in the 2000s that take place in Uganda. It is both excellent and horrific.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Everybody else sees it too right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

SPADER MAN CUM ON KREVAN

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’d recommend Black Max and Major Eazy for war comics in general. The former is about a German ace in WWI with a cadre of flying supernatural giant bats and the latter a roguish insouciant major in the British army fighting an unconventional war. For the pacific theater I’d specifically recommend Darkie’s Mob, which has a lot of problematic language but remains one of the most sophisticated and engaging long-running WW2 stories I’ve read.

Other war comics in no particular order:

The War Picture library series with stories Hugo Pratt/Ian Kennedy, specifically Night of the Devil, which is also an excellent story set in Burma during WW2 concerning British officers.

Clash of the Guards, a silly, straightforward series about Brad Clash and his outrageously overpowered Winchester shotgun taking the fight to the fascists in Europe

Johnny Red, a story about a British pilot who gets drummed out, steals a Hurricane, and joins an abandoned group of Soviet airmen to resist the German blitz. Exceptional from one of the greats, Joe Colquhoun, also of Charley’s War

Rat Pack, the best story about a penal legion, with art by Carlos Ezquerra of Judge Dredd fame

And this one isn’t a WW2 one but I can’t not recommend El Mestizo, also with art by Ezquerra and written by Alan Hebden, who was super prolific in this genre. El Mestizo is about a formerly enslaved biracial mercenary who leaves the plantation of his childhood to become a hardened mercenary in Mexico, the returns to the US during the civil war to work for the highest bidder. It has some problematic moments but is fundamentally an antiracist story about charting a course of total opposition to senseless violence, but with some anachronistic stuff that undercuts things just a bit. Still really worth reading

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Also, sorry to double post, but 2000 AD is currently having a gigantic sale and almost every good series they have is on sale for like 50% off

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

D-Pad posted:

There is no way that wasn't intentional.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Reading through one of the Hellboy short story collections, it’s striking how often Hellboy falls through a floor into a secret cave or tomb below. It happens to him a lot

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gripweed posted:

Reading through one of the Hellboy short story collections, it’s striking how often Hellboy falls through a floor into a secret cave or tomb below. It happens to him a lot
When you're 900 pounds of musclebound demon, and you spend your days poking around in crumbling abandoned castles and unmaintained catacombs...well, you do the math.

Also notice how often he loses his gun, and how often whatever gadget he's given turns out to actually be useless.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

D-Pad posted:

Can't wait until I get to this part in the new game.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Starring Brock Lesnar as Spider-Man.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
MetroBook 4 for Astro City arrived today and yup that's some good comics

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm reading through the third volume of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and guys, this series is extremely good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
YKK rules, I really like it.

It’s an extremely specific vibe that you rarely see in American comics

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

On a downer note, you may be aware that Peter David hasn't been having a good time lately. His health has fallen apart completely for the past year and the bills keep mounting.

There's an on-going fundraiser. If you have some spare money consider helping out, please.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Y'all nerds are probably good people to ask: where's a good place to get frames? I've used a local frame shop to hang original art, but I don't really want to spend that much money to hang prints/posters.

If I had to guess, most of my stuff is printed in standard sizes. I've gotten cheap frames from, like, Walmart, but they always seem to sag after a couple of years.

Years and years ago I got some custom frames made with Frames By Mail, they seem to be holding up well, I don't mind ordering from there again. Just wondering if there's another place to check out.

Now that I'm typing this, I should check out the local Blick Arts...

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I've always had good luck with frames from Michael's honestly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

barnes and Noble had the first volume of Undiscovered Country in the clearance section section for three dollars so I bought it and it turns out it's pretty bad.

The premise is that America has been physically cut off from the rest of the world for 30 years with no contact with the outside. Now a small team is going in, the first outsiders to see what has become of America.

Reading the description on the back I thought that was a strong premise, but one that really relies on the writers having interesting or unique or fun things to say about America. Like, that's the premise you use when you really want to say something about America now, but can express it better or in a more entertaining fashion through a sci-fi fictional story.

So I was pretty surprised to discover that they really don't have much to say about America at all. It's just another generic Image sci-fi/action series but occasionally one of the bad guys will say a famous phrase from American history. It is established that America has been further divided into walled off zones, so I'm guessing that if I kept reading I'd discover that the thing they want to say about America is some absolutely asinine meaningless pablum about media echo chambers and everybody just needing to listen to each other. But I'm not gonna find out.

Outside of America it's established that in this America-free world the remaining nations have divided into the European/African alliance and the Asian Prosperity sphere, which seems somewhat politically incoherent. But don't worry, it's shown that the Asians are the most evil ones, because they're building warships with farms on them so they never need to be resupplied so they can go to war with Europe at some point in the future for some reason. But none of that matters because the world will end in 6 months from a sci-fi virus because the world can't handle a pandemic without America apparently. This series started in 2020.

And then at the end of the book, there's an authors post script where they had wanted to work together on something for years but weren't sure what until they got invited to tour the CIA headquarters and were told about all the dangers the world faced without America and all the times the CIA saved the nation but they can't talk about it because it's classified. And then they decided to write a comic about America. And they they spent a few more years just forwarding Scientific American articles to each other about weird fish or something and being like, "we should put this in the comic!" And that's how they came to write a boring comic that sucks about America that has absolutely nothing to say about America.

I gotta be honest, after I read the book I thought it wasn't bad, but after typing out all my opinions it actually really loving sucked.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

So I was pretty surprised to discover that they really don't have much to say about America at all.

So it's like we Americans would write about other countries for the longest time (and still?)!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 13, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uthor posted:

So it's like we Americans would right about other countries for the longest time (and still?)!

Man I wish. If it was from a perspective of “America is land of guns and hamburger and great singer Mr. Hasselhoff!” It would have been way better. These guy are so used to America they couldn’t even think of any aspect of it to comment on. And they had no interest in investigating how foreigners think of America, which is a problem when your story is about a group of foreigners and refugees exploring America!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I finished the first volume of Local Man yesterday. I really liked the art, story was good enough I'm gonna read the next volume when it's out on Hoopla but I'm not like foaming at the mouth for it or anything.

I like retired/abdicating their position supers with kinda vague powers. The protagonist has Captain America like powers but dialed back a bit. At one point he argues with a cop about his super strength by saying something like "What do you mean super? I'm stronger than a normal man but..."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

UwUnabomber posted:

I finished the first volume of Local Man yesterday. I really liked the art, story was good enough I'm gonna read the next volume when it's out on Hoopla but I'm not like foaming at the mouth for it or anything.

I like retired/abdicating their position supers with kinda vague powers. The protagonist has Captain America like powers but dialed back a bit. At one point he argues with a cop about his super strength by saying something like "What do you mean super? I'm stronger than a normal man but..."

I enjoyed Local Man, but I read Youngblood and most of the other early Image books as they were (slowly) coming out in 1992-94. I've also read Alan Moore's runs on Supreme, WildC.A.T.s, and his surprisingly brilliant Youngblood courtroom drama Judgment Day. I dig deconstructions of that stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Partially Muscled Skeleton Screaming by the Perimeter Fence day to all who celebrate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not August 29th though?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

muscles like this! posted:

Happy Partially Muscled Skeleton Screaming by the Perimeter Fence day to all who celebrate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

barnes and Noble had the first volume of Undiscovered Country in the clearance section section for three dollars so I bought it and it turns out it's pretty bad.

The premise is that America has been physically cut off from the rest of the world for 30 years with no contact with the outside. Now a small team is going in, the first outsiders to see what has become of America.

Reading the description on the back I thought that was a strong premise, but one that really relies on the writers having interesting or unique or fun things to say about America. Like, that's the premise you use when you really want to say something about America now, but can express it better or in a more entertaining fashion through a sci-fi fictional story.

So I was pretty surprised to discover that they really don't have much to say about America at all. It's just another generic Image sci-fi/action series but occasionally one of the bad guys will say a famous phrase from American history. It is established that America has been further divided into walled off zones, so I'm guessing that if I kept reading I'd discover that the thing they want to say about America is some absolutely asinine meaningless pablum about media echo chambers and everybody just needing to listen to each other. But I'm not gonna find out.

Outside of America it's established that in this America-free world the remaining nations have divided into the European/African alliance and the Asian Prosperity sphere, which seems somewhat politically incoherent. But don't worry, it's shown that the Asians are the most evil ones, because they're building warships with farms on them so they never need to be resupplied so they can go to war with Europe at some point in the future for some reason. But none of that matters because the world will end in 6 months from a sci-fi virus because the world can't handle a pandemic without America apparently. This series started in 2020.

And then at the end of the book, there's an authors post script where they had wanted to work together on something for years but weren't sure what until they got invited to tour the CIA headquarters and were told about all the dangers the world faced without America and all the times the CIA saved the nation but they can't talk about it because it's classified. And then they decided to write a comic about America. And they they spent a few more years just forwarding Scientific American articles to each other about weird fish or something and being like, "we should put this in the comic!" And that's how they came to write a boring comic that sucks about America that has absolutely nothing to say about America.

I gotta be honest, after I read the book I thought it wasn't bad, but after typing out all my opinions it actually really loving sucked.

I stuck with Undiscovered Country for maybe two story arcs and while the whole book seemed extremely apolitical I kind of liked the idea that America was split up into lands that were "ideas" ie innovation, storytelling etc. That being said Snyder's worst habits were on display here and like I said the story was way too apolitical. It went for a more magical fantasy idea of what would happen if America isolated itself and did not even pretend to ground itself in any reality.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Michel Fiffe's put together a lit of comic stores who still have dollar bin back issues, I never realized what a shrinking pool that is, I used to love dollar bin diving, but I guess with the univerality of the internet it's getting harder and harder to find those diamonds in the rough now that the comic market's fallen into speculation hell once again.

http://michelfiffe.com/?page_id=9802

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ruddiger posted:

Michel Fiffe's put together a lit of comic stores who still have dollar bin back issues, I never realized what a shrinking pool that is, I used to love dollar bin diving, but I guess with the univerality of the internet it's getting harder and harder to find those diamonds in the rough now that the comic market's fallen into speculation hell once again.

http://michelfiffe.com/?page_id=9802

My LCS moved about 10-15 years ago, and when I went to their new location I was shocked to see that they just plain stopped selling back issues. Owner told me it was partially because the area they were in had specific zoning laws that prevented "flea markets", which would include them if they sold used comics. But ultimately he told me it was just a plain smart decision, most of his money was coming from Pokemon and Funko crap these days anyway.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The big Houston chain, Bedrock City, still has dollar bins at all their locations. Multiple bins, even.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The two shops in my city are so physically small there's no room for back issue boxes. They largely deal in new releases and TBPs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

There’s been a weird glut of new comic shops here and they’re absolutely awful, just a few shelves of all the generic new things you’d expect, DC/Marvel stuff, and funkos. No old comics, nothing interesting or foreign, nothing used. Not one of them had ever heard of Dredd, 2000 AD, Humanoids, Corto Maltese, etc and I don’t expect everyone to know about relatively niche things but it’s just surprising how weirdly disinterested their whole vibe is. The only store with actual interesting things is the one that’s been around for decades

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Did... Did anybody else know Shmorky did a variant cover for Invader Zim issue 15?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I put off trying Dai Dark for awhile because it looked just like another Dorohedoro, but I read the first volume and it’s fantastic. It does have basically everything good about Dorohedoro that made that series special, but in a way that still feels different and fresh.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dorohedoro was kind of a revelation for me, she’s just so good at juxtaposing outrageously bleak and relentless stuff with humorously cozy moments from familiar, quirky characters with the act breaks and extra pages. That’s something that has put me off in the past but it’s so elegantly executed in Dorohedoro I couldn’t help but love it. Usually I get a little frustrated with worlds that don’t seem to be materially coherent (who builds all the cars and poo poo in the hole? Is there a national government?) but Dorohedoro is one of the only things to mostly disregard any attempt to achieve that kind of internal logic but somehow it makes it more charming

I’ve held off on Dai Dark because I read it’s like, just beginning and Hayashida tends to produce very long stories and i was hoping to wait until it finished but it seems like maybe that’ll be a long time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dai Dark does seem like it’s aiming for a more internally consistent built world. I think maybe just because it’s sci-fi so the reader needs more information about how stuff works. As opposed to Dorohedoro which I think technically qualified as urban fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Started re-reading Maus. It's been IDK what, 30 years? Already dreading it at page 45.

Bought my nephew a copy earlier this year and thought I should give it a go too.