Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tonetta posted:

steel grasp provides pretty wild utility in being a consistent berserk/vulnerability trigger, lets you group up enemies to slay simultaneously as a very melee character, lets you reposition monsters out of death pools, and not have to chase down those dr cursed mobs.
That one. It's great, and the three charges are a ridiculous addition as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Honey Im Homme posted:

I hope they go back and retune all the bosses, I don't think they intended everything to be one shotted by now but are probably terrified to nerf anything at this point. Then again world bosses haven't been touched since release and are melted instantly.

Have they created a problem where they have to balance for both the eternal realm and seasonal skills and just can't/won't bother?

I think they'll be fine reining in Ball lightning and overpower builds at the end of this season because everyone has had a chance to see how they're just miles ahead of everything else.

Last time they did massive nerfs it was across the board, it heavily targeted cooldown reduction which is the crappiest way to bring damage down because you just don't get to use your fun abilities as often, and they didn't do anything to lift up the already middle of the road builds that got dumpstered.

If they lower the tick rate on ball lightning so that servers don't freeze whenever a world boss is happening, do a second tuning pass on overpower (which had massive changes to its damage formula and was obviously going to be either stupid or totally underwhelming) and give a few buffs to the overpower builds that aren't currently one shotting bosses (Blood Lance and ??) then I don't think there will be anything like the backlash there was last time.

There's a good chance I'll be proven wrong though, gamers are the worst

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tokubetsu posted:

zur refuses to drop his cute little tiara cosmetic for me, super rude

I have it and it is mostly obscured by my hair and has no glow or particle effects or anything. It's a pretty bad cosmetic but glhf.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tarnop posted:

Last time they did massive nerfs it was across the board, it heavily targeted cooldown reduction which is the crappiest way to bring damage down because you just don't get to use your fun abilities as often, and they didn't do anything to lift up the already middle of the road builds that got dumpstered.

It was definitely a unique scenario where they universally trashed everyone before scrambling. I don't buy the after-the-fact "oh we meant to also change the rest of the game but oops we left all of that out in this patch" excuse, but it got into a mostly playable spot in S1. The chances of them pulling that again are pretty low. The notGR stuff they have is going to change as well and I'm sure the initial implementation will be praised by streamers who need literally unlimited content to feed their job. Then it'll get shaped down the line into something more enjoyable.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The only way they can tune bosses and account for a broad range of player power is invulnerable windows ie. boss goes invincible at 66% and 33% and makes you run around doing mechanics and whatnot for a small bit. It sucks but it's how some other games deal with it. It's a fiendishly hard problem to solve any other way

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The only way they can tune bosses and account for a broad range of player power is invulnerable windows ie. boss goes invincible at 66% and 33% and makes you run around doing mechanics and whatnot for a small bit. It sucks but it's how some other games deal with it. It's a fiendishly hard problem to solve any other way

I do not support solving problems with The Warframe Method. I've never really understood having a game centered around infinite power progression, then seeming almost personally offended when it scales up, but when you create the system to begin with maybe don't punish anyone who engages with it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Whats a good, fun, barb build for leveling? My ball sorc hit 100 and I basically won everything, so he's retired. I'm looking to check out the crazy Barb builds now, but they're all end-game/gear dependent. So I'm having a rough time leveling. I've tried the double swing and it's just slow as hell. I tried the whirlwind and it's even slower. I can't seem to find anything that just blows up packs of mobs and is FUN. I might be spoiled by the ball sorc, but I'm dying over here it's so painfully slow. I've made it to level 22. Legions are carrying me for the moment.

My end goal is to try the double swing twister build. Hitting elites 20 times before they die is just...

:negative:

I also retired my 100 ball sorc and started a barb, this is what I've been using and its very good and fast for leveling. Getting squishy at level 85 though until I grind some more paragon/glyphs

https://maxroll.gg/d4/planner/q86py0dx#3

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mailer posted:

I do not support solving problems with The Warframe Method. I've never really understood having a game centered around infinite power progression, then seeming almost personally offended when it scales up, but when you create the system to begin with maybe don't punish anyone who engages with it.

Agreed 100%

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In an ideal ARPG endgame, once enemies have ceased to be a challenge and there are no skill points left to spread around, the best use of your time should ALWAYS be chasing after the phattest loot. D4's biggest problems in this regard are that A) the loot is not phat, and B) the only practical way of ever finding uber uniques is locked behind a very tedious endgame farming routine where you wait for a 2 hour reset twice to kill something once.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Another problem is that things like The Butcher (at least early on) or That Cluster Of Three Elites With Weird Affixes are more difficult and engaging than the dungeon boss is.

I've had fights against 2 vampiric elites that have made me have to think more carefully, watch for cues, and have lasted far longer than any boss fight ever has.

Dungeon bosses are poo poo and there are like 5 of them at most.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's hysterical that potent blood transfers to new seasonal characters but they make slam that X button a zillion times to upgrade all the powers. Hilarious.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Some of the dungeon bosses get a little trickier again if you try to push NMDs. I mean tricky in the sense that you will no longer be able to face tank everything will have to get out of the way of *some* of their attacks. Those attacks usually just being the very loudly telegraphed ones.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just hit level 100 for the first time. I was curious how long it took. Just checked my D4 armory for all of my characters so far. Here's a comparison of how far I got each of them and how long it took.

Play time to level 90: 4 days 20 hours 41 minutes (preseason char)

Play time to level 88: 3 days 9 hours 1 minute (season 1 char)

Play time to level 100: 2 days 10 hours 15 minutes (season 2 char)

now just speed up leveling glyphs ty

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Whoa, I should not have done that! Disheartening.

Pre-season: Sorc to 100 in 9d17h (included first campaign run)
Season 1: Druid to 95 in 5d9h (and then I burned out so hard I couldn't even stand to push to 100)
Season 2: Necro to 100 in 2d16h

I agree that leveling glyphs has gotten less pleasant now that there are so many gameplay loops other than 'Run NMDs until you hit 100'. I have four at 15 and one at 20?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

EC posted:

Having to make hard decisions over here for this weird blood overpower build:

okay how do you make the ranges show up? i feel like i've looked through the options and i'm sure i'm just missing it but i couldn't find it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Circle Nine posted:

okay how do you make the ranges show up? i feel like i've looked through the options and i'm sure i'm just missing it but i couldn't find it.

It's in there somewhere, I think "advanced comparison" or something like that

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

EC posted:

It's hysterical that potent blood transfers to new seasonal characters but they make slam that X button a zillion times to upgrade all the powers. Hilarious.

It takes like one minute. If that

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

EC posted:

It's in there somewhere, I think "advanced comparison" or something like that

rad, thanks.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

It takes like one minute. If that

no it absofuckthelutely does not, I spent about 25 minutes more or less constantly clicking to get the powers I needed to 3 on my second character.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gamepad supremacy

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Gamepad supremacy

Yeah i had so much extra blood for my second character that i just didn't even look at what was getting upgraded. I think I had 2 vamp powers that were only on level 2 when I finished.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

ixo posted:

no it absofuckthelutely does not, I spent about 25 minutes more or less constantly clicking to get the powers I needed to 3 on my second character.

If you click the power you want then press escape it goes much faster, but yeah it’s really loving dumb. Especially because the little toast notification blocks one of the three powers so even with this weird escape hatch it’s still slow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I used some left over cinders to open up a helm chest and did not receive any helms lol

edit: yay a 905 tibalts dropped while i was runnign a nmd from a cursed shrine chest

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 14, 2023

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ixo posted:

Sorry two minutes. Jesus Christ

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
https://twitter.com/AZJackson85/status/1723456599891829084

Can't say I would mind if something came of this. It's bad enough that druids can't build around their companions in a way that is remotely competitive with other builds, but minions really ought to feel like a core element of the necromancer class rather than amounting to little more than sacrifice fodder.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah minions are dogshit and it's a shame, every arpg needs a good primarily Minion build.

Grim dawn has some crazy strong Minion builds, one of the best Poe builds is a minion build, last epoch necro has some good Minion focused builds too. D4 has nothing?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Watch one of the buffs be you can target with them now lol

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Did the golem end up not amounting to much? I know some people were pretty pumped for it going into s2 based on some passive changes and different scaling.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i wanted to see how much of my life i’ve wasted too but the d4armory site has decided i don’t exist so i guess it’s for the best

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

harrygomm posted:

i wanted to see how much of my life i’ve wasted too but the d4armory site has decided i don’t exist so i guess it’s for the best

that is prolly for the better. if you could find out, i suspect people would play even less.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Minions invariably break arpgs and are balanced around the fact that not every one loves the “passive” play style

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

harrygomm posted:

search your battletag, not character name

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i did, with and without the #1969 or whatever as well as battle.net login ID as well as signing in with battle.net as well as making sure all the settings to allow third party sites get access to all the data they want were enabled already as well as verifying that it was showing as a successfully connected service as well as trying 2 browsers in Linux (and in private mode) mobile safari + private and the always works Chrome in my windows partition + private

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
drat that's some effort, rip

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’d rather do that than ask for help in their discord or whatever lovely non help/man page setup they have going

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1724244650989424728

A hotfix for the Living Steel chest issue is coming this week, finally.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MMAgCh posted:

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1724244650989424728

A hotfix for the Living Steel chest issue is coming this week, finally.

Give us more steel.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Finally got a gravitational aspect and was immediately able go nuke the pinnacle dungeon. Tier 3 baby! My gear is terrible and I am going to die.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

euphronius posted:

Minions invariably break arpgs and are balanced around the fact that not every one loves the “passive” play style

i think any skill should eventually be able to be crazy good and gently caress poo poo up properly with good gear, passive playstyle or not, gently caress it let people have fun in a non competitive game.

i love minion builds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Yeah, I've always enjoyed the more passive builds and I hope they make the minions stronger (and sturdier).