Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

theshim posted:

I died instantly (I guess the character I made only had 1 in whatever type of damage I took? I don't remember exactly and if you tell me "well duh obviously you shouldn't have made a character with 1 in anything" then kindly gently caress off and/or add that as a tip to the wiki) and had no healing items, it was literally the start of the game.

e: IIRC I tried to examine a body, got sick from looking at it, and I guess I puked so hard I literally died :v:

Tempting as it to say ha ha you got skill filtered by a visual novel, that is frustrating and it should probably at least autosave to avoid stuff like that

Getting killed by the necktie is funny because it's in the first two minutes of the game and you don't lose anything, letting you lose some amount of progress sets the wrong tone when a big aspect of the game is that failure isn't really punished and just leads to different outcomes

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
To really prepare for DE, go ahead and get drunk for a couple of days before you start it back up. You deserve it, treat yourself.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Anything for Sea of Stars?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Luminaflare posted:

Anything for Sea of Stars?

* The game is set in the same universe as The Messenger....sort of. That said, it's entirely un-necessary to play that game and the references to it are extremely small.
* You're told that doing the timed-button-presses (either when attacked or during skills) isn't particularly important. This is a lie. Learn the timing for attacks, both the enemies' and your own. It'll help a lot.
* Don't bother doing any backtracking until the endgame, it's kind of a pain in the rear end to get around to old areas before then
* Don't fret too much about the selected stat increases from levelling up, they don't make a particularly noticeable difference
* Try to break enemy attacks. It's almost always possible to do, but even if you only can break a few of the symbols, at least it'll make the attack weaker.
* There is no penalty to equipping relics that make the game easier.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Does anyone have any hints on chipping away at Tugs of the Tugwall.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know it's just come out but it has been in early access for a while, so anything for Lunacid?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I have played some Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 and there are some new things to be aware of now that I'm halfway through. I'll also be writing as if though you have at least played the first.

* The worth of vehicles are no longer tied to their rarity as the upgrade system as been revamped and all of them start good enough to run on their own with no further development. When you acquire one, you will have access to skills that can be slotted into your car. The green upgrades are related to car performance, while the blue upgrades are to help you facilitate more boosting. These two tend to be the opposite of each other (but you can still use the skills within the same column just fine) and it will be up to you to customize your car as you see fit. The orange upgrades, meanwhile, are obstacle prevention upgrades, which means that your vehicle will no-sell a set list of things on the track as long as they're equipped.

* You start with only being able to use the stock-tier skills, but you can spend either coins or red upgrade points to unlock the next tier of skills. In order to get a skill, you can either spend coins again or you can use the blue upgrade points.

* You can only equip six skills at a time for your vehicle. If you have four green ones, you get a boost in the speed stat. Four blue ones increases your maximum speed while boosting at the cost of a bit of your maximum speed when you are not. Again, this is up to you and the needs of your vehicle.

* Instead of relying on blind boxes, the selection shop from the first game is what is here and the rate at which you gain coins means that it isn't such a pain to buy new vehicles. There is also a spin-to-win thing, but it will most likely pay out coins instead of new cars all that often.

* New to this game is the side dash and the jump. For the default cost of half a pip of boost if using Charged style boosting and the equivalent for Free style boosting, you can either have your car jump in the air to go over obstacles and gaps or use your car to knock the competition out of your way. The side dash in particular is good to use if your target is next to a section with no wall and you want to knock them out of bounds. Be advised that the AI and players online will gladly do the same to you if given the chance. You should also know that side dashing is disabled while you are in the middle of drifting.

* Because the jump requires boost and because there are several tracks that rely on it at points, you should be careful with your boost stock so you don't get forced into a respawn situation.

* There are new types of events introduced. Elimination is last person of the pack after set time intervals is KO'd from the race. Drift Master is you using your drifting skills to get as many points as possible while avoid walls that will reset your score multiplier. Waypoint is you hitting waypoints to gain boost and navigate the levels as quickly as possible through clever uses of your boosting and jumping.

* Boss stages are much different compared to HWU1 in that you are not racing against others on a specific track. Instead, your job is to hit several targets in quick succession before the boss rage meter fills up. If it does fill up all the way, you have roughly three seconds to hit the next target or else you will lose the stage. Every target hit empties the meter and they go from blue to yellow to red, demanding you to hit them faster before you lose.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You need to ask in this thread for a wiki account, right?

Slay the Princess
• All progression is tied to your save file; no Doki Doki meta-shenanigans are needed.
• One of the endings requires you to make a specific choice at the very beginning: walk away from the cabin.
• Another ending changes based on your responses to the Voices In Your Head at a few important moments; you'll know when you see them.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 5, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Doki Doki meta-shenanigans
The what now?
If by any chance you mean Doki Doki Lit Club, do elaborate, I have that in my backlog.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pierzak posted:

The what now?
If by any chance you mean Doki Doki Lit Club, do elaborate, I have that in my backlog.

There is a point in Doki Doki where you have to (major spoiler) directly manipulate the game files in your system explorer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have an odd question for Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty now that I've finished the main plot of the DLC, but not the main plot of the overall game (I've beaten that before, but not since PL came out).

Without getting into any specific spoilers, I have heard that playing Phantom Liberty affects the choices you can make in the ending of the main game. And now that I've beaten PL, it seems that it has multiple endings, too.

My question is (again, without spoiling specifics if possible), do the choices you make in PL significantly affect the thing I put in spoiler tags? Or are the effects on the main game basically the same no matter what? I got a baby on the way and I'm trying to get a sense of just how many times I'm going to be expected to replay this game to see all the outcomes

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 5, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

There is a point in Doki Doki where you have to (major spoiler) directly manipulate the game files in your system explorer.

What in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pierzak posted:

What in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

It makes sense in the context of the game, don't know what else to say v:kiddo:v

It's like a two hour free game, might as well just play it

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have an odd question for Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty now that I've finished the main plot of the DLC, but not the main plot of the overall game (I've beaten that before, but not since PL came out).

Without getting into any specific spoilers, I have heard that playing Phantom Liberty affects the choices you can make in the ending of the main game. And now that I've beaten PL, it seems that it has multiple endings, too.

My question is (again, without spoiling specifics if possible), do the choices you make in PL significantly affect the thing I put in spoiler tags? Or are the effects on the main game basically the same no matter what? I got a baby on the way and I'm trying to get a sense of just how many times I'm going to be expected to replay this game to see all the outcomes

Yes. There's a specific ending (or rather, set of endings) in PL that unlocks a new ending in the base game. I played through PL for the first time recently and the ending in the DLC I specifically got did not unlock this new ending.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Yes. There's a specific ending (or rather, set of endings) in PL that unlocks a new ending in the base game. I played through PL for the first time recently and the ending in the DLC I specifically got did not unlock this new ending.

Yeah I already reloaded a save towards the end of PL and I think I see what you mean lol (PL ending spoilers: I chose to ride or die with songbird at first, and it seems that my reward for this is Idris Elba's gun; I reloaded and chose to turn her over to Reed and my reward now seems to be a shortcut to a new ending for the base game)

Is the new ending the only major thing that affects the base game like that? I do want to reload one more save in PL and see what happens if I pick a side a little earlier, but don't want to spend too much more time replaying this (even though it did own bones, now is a very good time to get CP2077 if you've been waiting)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is the new ending the only major thing that affects the base game like that? I do want to reload one more save in PL and see what happens if I pick a side a little earlier, but don't want to spend too much more time replaying this (even though it did own bones, now is a very good time to get CP2077 if you've been waiting)

Nothing else major I think, there's a bit of reactivity if you do certain base quests post-PL but those are mainly just small references in dialogue from what I've heard. And yes, if you side with Reed earlier, the endgame of PL is pretty different, so it's worth replaying to see that stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CuddleCryptid posted:

It makes sense in the context of the game, don't know what else to say v:kiddo:v

It's like a two hour free game, might as well just play it

There's a paid version now with more content too... :devil:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only before-I-play tip that DDLC really needs is a content warning that yes, it’s actually a horror game, please don’t pull a 90s Mom “anime is just cartoons, right?” and accidentally traumatize some poor kid. This is admittedly much more of an issue now that it’s on Switch.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Isn’t it rated 15+?

Admittedly I wish games had a “no seriously, will make your kid sad or scared” rating. There’s 10+ games with cute animals passing away and 15+ games with violence that’s honestly harmless

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
Here in Germany DDLC is rated 18+ and that is definitely where it belongs. The game does not mess around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It has a M rating in the us and Australia and trying to view it on the Nintendo site asks for your birthdate. The description there on refers to psychological horror several times and at the end says "NOT FOR CHILDREN".

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Part of the issue with relying on ratings is that someone getting shot by an enemy in a boom blam shooterman and someone committing suicide is the same level of base violence, even though one is more impactful than the other. Recently things have been getting more detailed but it's still somewhat lacking. Under the ESRB DDLC is rated Mature for "Blood, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence" but that doesn't actually mean anything.

Anyone who lets their kid play the game is an idiot but there is definitely some content warning worth stuff in the first act for adults too. Even if you end up with more detailed warnings there's a big difference between someone killing themselves offscreen or in shadow and you walking in to find the corpse of your friend hanging from the ceiling in full color and detail.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 7, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oh dear that's not for children at all

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kids play FNAF they'll be fine that's got, like, spooky stuff too you know. Same thign!

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Lunacid:

• Damage types are important. Some enemies are resistant or immune to certain elements.
  • Some doors and switches are also activated by specific elements.
  • Some weapons can be upgraded by using them. You'll find a way to do this in the hub area.
  • You can identify upgradable weapons by seeing if they have their own experience bar in the inventory screen.
  • Activating or reactivating a crystal will restore your health and mana, but won't respawn enemies.
  • There are no auto saves or quick saves. Save whenever you get to a crystal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doesn't ddlc open with a pretty explicit content warning that comes as close as it can to outright stating what it contains without spoilers?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Doesn't ddlc open with a pretty explicit content warning that comes as close as it can to outright stating what it contains without spoilers?
Yes, but that's not going to stop a parent from mindlessly buying it for their kid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Yes, but that's not going to stop a parent from mindlessly buying it for their kid.

I really dont think there are many parents dead set on buying a game for their kid that is blocked to child accounts and that they will ignore all warnings on the switch, the console overflowing with soft erotica titles

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Talos Principle 2

Idk if this is something appropriate for the wiki but the seizure warning at the start is appropriate. Not for the main gameplay exactly (although I've read and seen people complaining about nausea but that's more of a FOV and bobbing issue I think) but there's one point in the game I've across so far (and I'm in the last area) where even I had to look away and I'm not prone to to that kind of stuff. (Only other time I had to look away for this reason was looking at a zootrope thingy at a Picar excibition.)

There's a point where you interact with a broken/protoype piece of technology called a somno-something and the visuals are a lot like those in Cyberpunk 2077 before they fixed it. Lots of flashing lights in a way that could easily trigger an episode if you're prone to that kind of thing.

On a lighter note, for those on the fence because they hated the time/rewind puzzles from the original, none of that kinda poo poo in the sequel, yay!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I bought Wandering Sword recently and any tips for that? A lot of reviews mentioned unintuitive things and the beginner guide on steam uses a cheese method to recruit some companions that didn't seem too appealing (unless you're meant to cheese the game like that)

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

Unless you're desperate for cash, hold off on using the gambling cheat items until you reach platinum rank in the coliseum. You'll get access then to a couple new areas that let you play the highest stakes versions of those games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

how…on earth does DDLC even work on the switch :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rockman Reserve posted:

how…on earth does DDLC even work on the switch :psyduck:

There's a fake OS to interact with, kinda like .hack or the austin powers GBC games

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Roboquest has hit 1.0 and the wiki page looks to be just about completely out of date beyond one or two of the tips.

I've looked around for some and given how much of the game is skill-based I'm not sure how many you really need, but here's a few:

* Sliding is super important, figure out a comfortable binding for it asap.

* Normal difficulty gets brutal about halfway through on a fresh save. Consider dropping the difficulty to Easy to bank up some wrenches to unlock critical upgrades.

* The perks on the right side of the upgrade screen require special items.

* Air mobility opens up a lot more once you unlock certain gadgets, though you might be able to find rocket jump weapons prior to that.

* One of the enemies in the opening level is not like the others...

* The default graphics settings made the game run like mud for me. Try turning off temporal AA and especially disable vsync and cap the framerate.

Edit:

* If you end up somewhere with a time limit, you instantly die if time runs out.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 14, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

With Star Ocean: The Second Story R out now, I feel like anyone picking it up needs a reminder: Do NOT spend any of your skill points upgrading any of a character's crafting abilities until you've maxed out Determination on that character. Determination lowers the amount of skill points you need to level your other skills, and maxing it out first will save you a ton of time and skill points in the long run.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Revised Roboquest tips now that I kind of know what I'm doing:

* Sliding is super important both for speed and for dodging attacks, figure out a comfortable binding for it asap. The easiest way is to set running to Auto and then change the sprint button to crouch, but this will sometimes make platforming trickier.

* Normal difficulty gets brutal about halfway through a run on a fresh save. Consider dropping the difficulty to Easy to bank up some wrenches to unlock early critical upgrades.

* Basically all of the workshop upgrades are potent, even if they don't sound like it.

* The perks on the right side of the upgrade screen require special power crystal items. These items will also increase the difficulty slightly when enabled, though very gradually and the benefits almost always outweigh the negative - more elite enemies spawning.

* The starting Guardian class is unfortunately a lot more limited and hard to make work well compared to the others. Experiment with the other classes as you unlock them.

* Vertical and air mobility open up a lot more once you unlock certain gadgets, though you might be able to find weapons with the rocket jump alt-fire prior to that or just rocket jump the old fashioned way.

* One of the enemies in the opening level is not like the others...

* If you end up somewhere with a time limit, you instantly die if time runs out. ...Unless everything else in the level is already exploding, in which case you'll merely be locked out of the prize at the end of the gauntlet.

Edit: Couple more I forgot that I think were in the original tips list:

* Keys and quest items carry over between runs; you're often expected to take items from later stages into earlier areas on the next run.

* Most arenas will feature a chime announcing the arrival of a worker bot riding along a rail. These bots don't attack you but grant a higher than average amount XP and drop a bunch of healing cells. Try not to miss them. If you're especially quick you can grind the rail straight into them for an instant kill.

* Collecting healing cells is vital to staying alive, but focusing too much on collecting them is a great way to take even more damage.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 20, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Gedonia, especially with regards to character creation?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anything for Risk of Rain Returns? I didn't really play the first one and just snagged this, and it's been kicking my rear end.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Gedonia, especially with regards to character creation?
These arent expert tips because I never bothered to finish the game, so please don't put them in the wiki, but hopefully it helps you with character creation.

The most important part of attributes at character creation are the traits you get (the icons that turn green or red). Not that you should ignore the stat bonuses, but the traits really decide what you can and can't do with your character. Basically decide on what kind of classic rpg archetype you want to be and get the traits that make sense for that. As well specializing to get the highest level trait in whatever main stat you're focusing on is worth it because theyre cool and fun, plus it helps the stats. Its probably possible to make some kind of minmaxed hybrid (like getting int 2 for spells + finding the spells that really buff a more martial playstyle) but its simpler and still powerful to make a more pure build.

Strength is the easiest main stat to decide because it decides your armor, and armor is very prescriptive. Heavy armor (3) has typical melee stats, leather armor (1) has rogue/archer stats, robes (0) have caster stats. If you go 3, you may as well go 4 because the jump bonus is cool.

Charisma I see as a kind of all-or-nothing main stat depending on whether you want to deal with companions. There are builds that are based around buffing companions like the bard or summoner, so for them, get 4 because the more companions the better. If you dont care about companions just drop it to 0 to save points, or 1 if you really want a buddy. Companions are not an essential part of the game, theyre not like story characters in a bioware rpg or something.

Agility 1 is usually good unless you're really strained for points because the areas are big enough that you'll want to be able to sprint. 2 if you really need dodging, but blocking is fine if you're melee, and casters have other ways to defend themselves. Plus you can simply just walk or jump away from enemies instead of pressing dodge. I'd only go beyond that if you want to be a rogue or archer type build, who should go all the way to 4 because double jump is fun.

Intellect 1 is basically always good for crafting. Every build has something useful they can make with crafting, it would be annoying to play without it. Intellect 2 is good for battlemage type hybrids. However note that the blood magic skill, which is probably the most generically useful magic skill for physical builds, does not need any intellect to use. For pure mages you may as well go intellect 4 if you can just for the stat bonuses.

Some sample builds:

Pure builds
Rogue/archer: Agi 4, str 1, int 1, whatever
Melee guy: Str 4, int 1, agi 1, whatever
Mage: Int 4, agi 1, whatever
Bard: Cha 4, int 1, agi 1, whatever

Hybrids
Battle mage: Str 3, int 2, agi 1, whatever
Summoner: They obviously need high int and cha but the balance is up to you

Some other things to note:

You can decide what faction you want to join immediately after making your character from the faction screen. This is basically another permanent decision. You can join 1 faction and cant change it until finishing their questline, at which point you can only join other factions allied with your main one. If youre not sure what kind of build you want to be, make a throwaway character and look at the factions descriptions, each one of them is a "viable" character build.

You can respec your skill points with the alchemy crafting skill.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I usually play backstabby rogues in open world RPGs so I figure this should work, although apparently strength decides your melee damage while you need a high dex to wield daggers so I guess I'd need both?