Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/sgowsmith1988/status/1723638794342281479?s=20
Not a great update...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/MFATNZ/status/1723798852044537884?s=20
Some kiwis have made it out of Gaza last night.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i've been (probs delusionally) wondering if nz has been holding off criticism until our citizens are out – israel isn't letting brazilians leave gaza because their govt said war crimes are bad

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
We currently have a caretaker government, so holding any particular strong stance is unlikely. Luxon and Co are totally going to suck up to the US. I expect they will acknowledge war crimes are bad and both sides it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if there's one thing luxon knows how to do it's avoiding talking about war crimes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah nah well actually I'm here to talk about kiwi mum and dad investors

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well, we're about to have former mercenary Mark Mitchell as Minister of Defence again, I'm sure he can give an expert opinion.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
To be honest I am glad we have a care taker government at the moment. I have zero faith that Luxon would say anything helpful to anybody except maybe the Israeli lobby that I didn't know we had until recently.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
It's not as if this caretaker govt has been neutral on this whole thing, their stance is disgusting. They have a definite opinion on the matter and it's not much better than what luxons stance is gonna be.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They do have to consult with luxon on statements and such.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Remember the shitstorm when Mossad got caught stealing NZ identities for passports? Luxon would probably just give them to them free of charge.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Confusedslight posted:

They do have to consult with luxon on statements and such.

Have to? Or, are doing so as a courtesy to an incoming govt on the hopes that when the roles are reversed the same courtesy is extended to them?

I think they are being cowards, either way.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I personally think Hipkins is not planning on sticking through the whole term. This gives him the prime opportunity to attend OPEC, publicly condemn Israel's actions in Gaza and declare a war against the ocean. It's not like he has a political future to sacrifice.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

klen dool posted:

Have to? Or, are doing so as a courtesy to an incoming govt on the hopes that when the roles are reversed the same courtesy is extended to them?

I mean, depends on how seriously you take the Cabinet Manual.

6.29 Where it is clear which party or parties will form the next government but Ministers have not yet been appointed, the outgoing government should:
(a) undertake no new policy initiatives; and

(b) act on the advice of the incoming government on any matter of such constitutional,
economic, or other significance that it cannot be delayed until the new government
formally takes office—even if the outgoing government disagrees with the course
of action proposed.

Yes, it's convention and not legislation, but a surprising amount of how our Government runs is via convention and not legislation.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Remember the shitstorm when Mossad got caught stealing NZ identities for passports? Luxon would probably just give them to them free of charge.

Which time?
I remember the one where the guy got busted trying to obtain the passports. The Israel Institute NZ pretty much screamed Helen Clark was being antisemitic when he was prosecuted. Then there were the backpackers killed in the CHCH Earthquakes who were carrying multiple different passports.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I mean, depends on how seriously you take the Cabinet Manual.

6.29 Where it is clear which party or parties will form the next government but Ministers have not yet been appointed, the outgoing government should:
(a) undertake no new policy initiatives; and

(b) act on the advice of the incoming government on any matter of such constitutional,
economic, or other significance that it cannot be delayed until the new government
formally takes office—even if the outgoing government disagrees with the course
of action proposed.

Yes, it's convention and not legislation, but a surprising amount of how our Government runs is via convention and not legislation.

Yeah look I'm not having a go at you but recognising and condemning an ongoing genocide cannot cannot cannot be hindered by mere convention, I don't care how deeply held or relied upon it is. That's a moral judgement of course on my part. If ever there was a time to defy convention, surely it's now.
Hipkins either lacks the courage to defy convention, or believes what he is saying, and both options suck.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Varkk posted:

Which time?
I remember the one where the guy got busted trying to obtain the passports. The Israel Institute NZ pretty much screamed Helen Clark was being antisemitic when he was prosecuted. Then there were the backpackers killed in the CHCH Earthquakes who were carrying multiple different passports.

Whoa I didn't know about the earthquake one, I meant the first one.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

klen dool posted:

Yeah look I'm not having a go at you but recognising and condemning an ongoing genocide cannot cannot cannot be hindered by mere convention, I don't care how deeply held or relied upon it is. That's a moral judgement of course on my part. If ever there was a time to defy convention, surely it's now.

Sorry, yeah, I wasn't even really disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out that even if it's not strictly speaking a law, it just might as well be.

klen dool posted:

Hipkins either lacks the courage to defy convention, or believes what he is saying, and both options suck.
100%.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

treaty referendum incoming

quote:

Senior New Zealand First MP Shane Jones made supportive remarks about Act leader David Seymour’s approach to the issue of the Treaty of Waitangi this morning, saying there would be a “reset” in Māori policy under the new Government.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polit...TOZQHI73Z5HU5I/

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
A 'reset' being full restoration of all Maori land, right? They can give pakeha back their muskets and blankets.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

klen dool posted:

It's not as if this caretaker govt has been neutral on this whole thing, their stance is disgusting. They have a definite opinion on the matter and it's not much better than what luxons stance is gonna be.

that's because mfat is advising them both the same way https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/502336/pro-palestinian-protesters-splash-red-paint-on-us-consulate-mfat-buildings-in-auckland

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's not clear what advice they've had from MFAT but yeah all the top people there at the moment have been posted in Washington so it wouldn't surprise me if they're giving lovely hawkish advice. Australia is getting ready to call out the genocide and I think we'll see a change of tone here if they do.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

Australia is getting ready to call out the genocide and I think we'll see a change of tone here if they do.

where are you seeing evidence of that? the e.u. has just endorsed israel's insane lies about hospitals, it's hard to see the five eyes countries departing strongly from their position.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i guess what i'm saying klen is that mfat staff need to stop getting invited to parties... really lay on the pressure

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

where are you seeing evidence of that? the e.u. has just endorsed israel's insane lies about hospitals, it's hard to see the five eyes countries departing strongly from their position.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/12/penny-wong-says-steps-towards-ceasefire-in-israel-hamas-war-cannot-be-one-sided

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/14/anthony-albanese-labor-branch-alp-marrickville-gaza-ceasefire-israel

it's still an if, not a when, but they're likely to jump before we do on calling for a ceasefire

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

This is basically american constructionalism in NZ right?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Looking at the disinformation around the voice vote across the ditch is worrying. On the other hand, it will be a referendum because of Peters and change is a harder sell than the status quo.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

exmarx posted:

i guess what i'm saying klen is that mfat staff need to stop getting invited to parties... really lay on the pressure

I have never once knowingly invited any employee of MFAT to any party or social gathering.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wayne-o continues to be the biggest wanker alive:
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/301008975/wayne-brown-calls-congestion-charge-consultation-and-equity-bollocks

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Kea got third, stupid national pride and John Oliver.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

hes 100% right here ftw

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Sphyre posted:

hes 100% right here ftw

The bit about consultation is about right. Of course if you ask people if they want to pay more $ they will not like it. Consultation in this situation sounds like an excuse to do nothing in the guise of doing what people want (sometimes, what people want isn't always the right decision)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Congestion charging is a good idea, but doing it the way he's proposing would be loving dumb. It needs to be imposed on all the roads in/out of a certain zone, not just on two specific roads that are busy - that just encourages ratrunning and fucks with public transport.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Okay issuing a correction on my previous post, John Oliver's interference seems to have saved us from nominating the brown kiwi as bird of the century, so it is in fact a good thing.

quote:

Australasian crested grebe: 290,374
North Island brown kiwi: 12,904
Kea: 12,060
Kākāpō: 10,889
Fantail: 7857
Eastern rockhopper penguin: 6763
Black robin: 6753
Huia: 6467
Tūī 6457
Takahē: 6292

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The kiwi edging out the kea would be so mind-numbingly middle NZ I would probably have died then and there so you can thank John Oliver for inflicting me on you people for the foreseeable future

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

does this mean they're going to stop doing those now

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Conservation efforts benefit from Bird of the Year scandal. Forest and Bird set a new bar by getting JL trolling everyone, but there is still much to do.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Glad huia made the top 10. I hope JO and his buds gave some money at least and didn't just vote and charge their crystals

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Where do I find the full results? Need to see how many votes the Weka got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

more like wrekta