Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah the once a year I do it, that's how I go as well. I also need concert earbuds when I do bc that poo poo is way too loud, somewhere along the way needing to feel the movie vibrating the theatre became a part of the experience, and I don't like to feel attacked by my entertainment, so I guess that fits into the theme lol. movies literally weren't this loud ten years ago.

also there's no such thing as a skilled projectionist anymore so half of them aren't even displayed properly anyway. there's all this hemming and hawwing about the experience but the reality is, the experience isn't even curated and well-presented anymore, it's just about getting bored teenager to hit play for you and sell you microwave pizzas. and those kids, half of them are told hosed up poo poo like 'if you're not willing to work Christmas, don't even apply for this job', for a movie theatre job.

Source: that was what the AMC told both my niece and my nephew when they started working there; agreeing to work Christmas was contingent upon getting the job. Yes that's illegal but they were kids, they were young enough to be scared and just say yes, so all of their Christmases in their teens were spent working.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I like going to the theatre cuz I know I won't check my phone through the whole film.

Yes I am aware there are other ways to solve this.

I also like going to matinées and being alone (or almost alone). The feeling when you go back out into the street and get blinded by the light is the best.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

movies literally weren't this loud ten years ago.

THAT'S NOT RIGHT. I GO TO THE MOVIES ALL THE TIME AND IF ANYTHING THE THEATERS ARE QUIETER NOW... IN FACT, EVERYTHING IS... EXCEPT THAT RINGING. DO YOU KNOW WHERE IT'S COMING FROM?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

kiminewt posted:

I like going to the theatre cuz I know I won't check my phone through the whole film.

I also like going to matinées and being alone (or almost alone). The feeling when you go back out into the street and get blinded by the light is the best.

this I could see, if I had a nice small theatre near me that did matinees, I'd be there all the time

also I actually understand what you mean and yes sometimes do things specifically to break my phone dependence, especially if I'm in a bad anxiety state

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How much does a not al theatre experience cost these days? Like $30/pp if you get a popcorn and drink?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kiminewt posted:

how many cellphone lock boxes do you have?

also how many goons dont know that thats a type of product ?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I know this is the things that got shittier thread, but reading about the 35 minutes of ads in front of a movie made me realize I see maybe one movie a year, if at all. There's no point rushing to a theatre when I know it'll be on streaming in like 2 months tops. Which is honestly fantastic, remember when we were kids and they made people wait over a year before putting out the VHS of something? And they'd release it to rental stores first, then only for home purchase a few months after that. DVDs hosed that whole system up, thankfully.

Goddamn, I remember watching Oliver & Company in theaters in 1988 and excitedly expecting it to release to home video by the following holiday season 1989. It wasn’t released to home video until 1996. same thing with The Great Mouse Detective: originally in theaters in 1986 and wasn’t released to home video until 1992, and only for a limited time.

Disney was really loving greedy and stupid with “The Vault.” You had two hit movies back-to-back that kick-started the Disney Renaissance, so instead of releasing them to home video the following year and making mad bank, you keep them in The Vault for years for???

Meanwhile, I remember the 1989 Batman movie premiered on VHS just six months after its summer run that year, and Warner Bros. sold it at a discount and practically had truckloads of cash coming to them. I got Batman and Who Framed Roger Rabbit that year for Christmas. I was loving stoked.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Goddamn, I remember watching Oliver & Company in theaters in 1988 and excitedly expecting it to release to home video by the following holiday season 1989. It wasn’t released to home video until 1996. same thing with The Great Mouse Detective: originally in theaters in 1986 and wasn’t released to home video until 1992, and only for a limited time.

Disney was really loving greedy and stupid with “The Vault.” You had two hit movies back-to-back that kick-started the Disney Renaissance, so instead of releasing them to home video the following year and making mad bank, you keep them in The Vault for years for???

Meanwhile, I remember the 1989 Batman movie premiered on VHS just six months after its summer run that year, and Warner Bros. sold it at a discount and practically had truckloads of cash coming to them. I got Batman and Who Framed Roger Rabbit that year for Christmas. I was loving stoked.

lol I remember when my local grocery store opened up their VHS rental section and they had some movies for sale, and ET was like 100$ and I was like "I ain't got ET money".

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That reminds me, my rich aunt bought a Betamax VCR because of the slightly higher resolution, the tech magazines and nerds saying you were human garbage if you didn’t invest in Betamax, and she thought it was gonna defeat VHS. I remember some of the prices she would tell us on what she spent for movies, because drat. It was around $60 to $70 bucks each for a movie in the mid-‘80s.

Then she turned around and bought VHS and always claimed she was for VHS when Betamax failed. But we know, tía; we know. Those pricey Betamax tapes sat on her shelf all dusty and yellowed until the early 2000s.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Outrail posted:

How much does a not al theatre experience cost these days? Like $30/pp if you get a popcorn and drink?

I have two theaters by me that do $6 first run movies all day. I take my dad there every once in awhile and we're always the only ones in there.

For the life of me I can't figure out how they stay open.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Money laundering/drug front?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I know this is the things that got shittier thread, but reading about the 35 minutes of ads in front of a movie made me realize I see maybe one movie a year, if at all. There's no point rushing to a theatre when I know it'll be on streaming in like 2 months tops. Which is honestly fantastic, remember when we were kids and they made people wait over a year before putting out the VHS of something? And they'd release it to rental stores first, then only for home purchase a few months after that. DVDs hosed that whole system up, thankfully.

The pandemic basically got rid of even releasing things in the theatre and they're clawing it back, but I'll go back to a movie theatre pretty much never. I can't smoke weed, drink, and yell at the screen there. Plus, the food I have at home is way better than the frozen poo poo they toss in a microwave.

You can drink in many theaters now, depending on locale. Even before 2020 it seemed like theaters and basically anywhere that could got a bar installed in it.

Now theaters around me all have freaking table service, during the movie. A decade of trying to get people to put away their phone gives way to the theater insisting you order food and drinks with your phone and have people talking and bringing out the orders.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That's a caberet show not a theatre.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I loving hate VIP poo poo at movie theaters. Theaters were annoying enough to begin with and now there's waiters and Pasta ala Vodka moving around the whole time. gently caress you.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

is pepsi ok posted:

I have two theaters by me that do $6 first run movies all day. I take my dad there every once in awhile and we're always the only ones in there.

For the life of me I can't figure out how they stay open.

My favorite theater was like this. Super cool old school single screen art deco theater that for some reason seemed to be staffed entirely by children and was insanely cheap. I never could figure out how it could possibly make money. It mysteriously burned down recently in a way that for sure wasn't insurance fraud, probably

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have two all time favorite movie memories, and they both involve giant single screens(and Star Wars).

The Empire Strikes Back, somewhere near LA. Had to wait in line for hours before getting in to the theater with my Dad and a friend. Blown away by the experience.

And then seeing the re-release of ANH in this giant beautiful theater somewhere in midtown NYC. Sold out theater, and everyone was into it. Just amazing and thrilling.

That said, I do love the big luxury chairs and many other features of modern theaters. Not the food service though, but I get how others would.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

PhazonLink posted:

how many cellphone lock boxes do you have?

also how many goons dont know that thats a type of product ?

I have heard of it, but I was thinking more of like a general "work on myself" sort of thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The last time I went to the theater, the sound cut off about 3/4 through the movie and then the picture cut off about fifteen minutes from the end. None of us left the theater to let anyone know, and so it went entirely unnoticed. We just waited until the lights came on to indicate the movie was over.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they do screenings exclusively for people with brain damage

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

The last time I went to the theater, the sound cut off about 3/4 through the movie and then the picture cut off about fifteen minutes from the end. None of us left the theater to let anyone know, and so it went entirely unnoticed. We just waited until the lights came on to indicate the movie was over.

Lmao

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Amazing

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Raged posted:

After living in Australia for almost 22 years and raising a daughter I am going to have to leave the country and not get perm residency. Good times.

Crikey!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

credburn posted:

How high were you?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone bought a klondike bar in the last year or so? They're so much smaller now, it's really something. Guess I'm never buying any of those again.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I really like the table service dinner theater setup. Between my gf and I we probably pay like $80-90 to see a movie but the one near us has really good food and is locally owned. She’s a teacher and her movie tickets are free all summer too

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone bought a klondike bar in the last year or so? They're so much smaller now, it's really something. Guess I'm never buying any of those again.

Bought some like a month ago. They sucked

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

big mean giraffe posted:

Bought some like a month ago. They sucked

The recipe changed, much like many other chocolate products. Also the ice cream. It's like soft serve now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Klondike Bar LLC is just trying to let down devoted cultists as easy as possible, since it's possible it gets real messy and violent....

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

redshirt posted:

Klondike Bar LLC is just trying to let down devoted cultists as easy as possible, since it's possible it gets real messy and violent....

We can't even imagine what they're capable of

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

erosion posted:

We can't even imagine what they're capable of

Oh there were focus groups....

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

credburn posted:

This happened when I saw JCVD in theaters but it was during the monologue where Van Damme breaks the 4th wall and is talking to the camera while floating between the floors and we legit thought it was part of the film. No one realized until the film ran out, and we realized the kid running the projector had left. It made it a lot better honestly

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Moon Monster posted:

Passing out Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups during Halloween this year, and they’re only slightly larger than a quarter now.

And I know they weren’t fun-size or whatever, because I looked at them at the store in a “king size” package and they were the same size as the Halloween candy. Shrinkflation sucks poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Before this Sub and you, fellow Warriors, I give up my servitude to Klondike Bars.

I free myself from their command.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Passing out Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups during Halloween this year, and they’re only slightly larger than a quarter now.

And I know they weren’t fun-size or whatever, because I looked at them at the store in a “king size” package and they were the same size as the Halloween candy. Shrinkflation sucks poo poo.

It's gone from "let's be subtle with our changes and hope no one notices" to "gently caress 'em, 6.5 oz of lunch meat is now 'FAMILY SIZE.'"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Frankly, with every food product getting shittier, I'd rather be charged more than be surprised by all of these stupid little changes designed to gently caress us over. Also, why are potato chips so god damned expensive now? Potatoes aren't particularly expensive.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

Frankly, with every food product getting shittier, I'd rather be charged more than be surprised by all of these stupid little changes designed to gently caress us over. Also, why are potato chips so god damned expensive now? Potatoes aren't particularly expensive.

My guesses

Cost of chemicals
Cost of fuel
Cost of labour
Naked profiteering

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
There used to be a pretty drat nice theatre called The Movie Tavern around here. It was maybe a 20 minute drive, but worth it. They had a solid dinner menu and adult beverages to order. Sometime in the past few years, though, instead of having waiting staff, they made you use an annoying mobile website. No more actual cooked food either, just crap from the concession stand. You also had to order within the first 30 minutes because that menu disappeared pretty quickly. And if you wanted a drink, you had to actually leave the movie to go to their bar.

Crap all around. I haven't been there since. It might not be entirely their fault, due to the labor shortage, but it's just not worth it anymore.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

gently caress off Microsoft 365 I will never pay annually for Word/Excel/Power Point. Like just because there's a Customer Return thing some idiot decided should be a docx doesn't mean I'm going to register for your poo poo. When I try to close the window it does nothing which is a nice touch, maybe you can in the future also disable task manager... wait a second alt f4 gets me out after 3ish times each with dialog box telling me poo poo I don't want. Bringing up task manager is the way to go.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tarkus posted:

Also, why are potato chips so god damned expensive now? Potatoes aren't particularly expensive.

This reminds me, I need to put a mandoline slicer on my wish list. Microwave lightly oiled potato slices = potato chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
new hess truck looks like poo poo