Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dr_rat posted:

lol. That's great.

Which brings up the question, if it was testing well, is canceling it for I'm assuming just a simple tax writer off worth it? Like why produce the thing in the first place if they didn't think it would make some money if it came out okay?

Do we just need to assume they were going to start canceling anything that they thought was going to be a massive hit?

This is fully tinfoil hat territory but I fully believe it was cancelled out of spite, taking a movie that was very likely to result in big residuals for WGA and SAG members but was not a big tentpole and dunking it directly into the trash as a big gently caress you to the unions in retaliation for winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

Someone explain the angel thing again

I think the idea was going back to the biblical description of angels (well Ophanim a type of angel) that have been described as: "The four wheels had rims and they had spokes, and their rims were full of eyes round".

Although the poster said they wanted to seem like their was an angel captured in the center powering it, it does still fit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dr_rat posted:

I think the idea was going back to the biblical description of angels (well Ophanim a type of angel) that have been described as: "The four wheels had rims and they had spokes, and their rims were full of eyes round".

Although the poster said they wanted to seem like their was an angel captured in the center powering it, it does still fit.

Yeah, what I read was that the artist who created the drive core based it on the Biblical description of an Ophanim, then imagined one imprisoned by modern technology to serve as the ship's core, creating that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, what I read was that the artist who created the drive core based it on the Biblical description of an Ophanim, then imagined one imprisoned by modern technology to serve as the ship's core, creating that.

Sometimes when you here artists talking about inspirations like that and you look at the end result, it just like, I don't see/get it. But yeah in this case yeah can 100% see it and it just fits the movie so well.

Good job awesome artist person!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/coyote-vs-acme-wb-warners-canceled-reversal-shop-film-1235645372/

Apparently one thing that convinced WB to change their minds on Coyote vs Acme is that filmmakers started canceling meetings with them for potential projects. Especially after it came out that the movie was made on time, on budget and was testing well which meant there wasn't any excuse like with Batgirl where they claimed it was terrible.
That makes sense. This is now the third project to get axed like this for tax reasons, and it's a major problem for the people who spent years working on it that now have nothing to show for it. It's absolutely going to make people think twice before they sign up to work on a major WBD project. Because if the entire project gets thrown in a vault, how are you supposed to use that in any way to further your career?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dr_rat posted:

Do we just need to assume they were going to start canceling anything that they thought wasn't going to be a massive hit?

Knowing the minds of executives is impossible, but that at least sounds like a probable reason.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Coyote movie write-off is hilarious because the Looney Toons are amazingly iconic and intrinsically linked to WB. Also, John Cena is a pretty big name and is working on other projects for them. It's like they are actively trying to bury their own company.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

“Where we’re going, we won’t need eyes to see.”

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

That makes sense. This is now the third project to get axed like this for tax reasons, and it's a major problem for the people who spent years working on it that now have nothing to show for it. It's absolutely going to make people think twice before they sign up to work on a major WBD project. Because if the entire project gets thrown in a vault, how are you supposed to use that in any way to further your career?

It's an approach that makes perfect sense for reality TV. There's skill to making reality TV, but it doesn't require emotional investment. You still need to be able to come up with a good concept, select a good cast, put interesting things into the mix, edit skillfully to create drama. All that stuff, but it's a mercenary skill. You do season 20 of Big Brother then move on to season 17 of Ice Road Truckers. The skills transfer but you never needed to actually care about the show you were working on beyond doing your job well in that moment.

By contrast, even to create a mediocre scripted show takes so much work from so many people who do need to care about what they're doing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

dr_rat posted:

The production design on event horizon was just great. Incredibly over the top and a better movie for it.

Love the random walkway through a hallway of rotating blades for like literally no explained reasons. Absolutely Perfect. no notes.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the hallway ‘o blades having something to do with protecting the rest of the ship/umbilicus from gravitational distortions created by the core.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/GarfieldMovie/status/1724064572078690325

[First 20ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh this could be pretty interesting.
[Next 10ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh no.
[Hear Garfield speak and to the end of the trailer]: OH NO.

Pizza? Jesus christ who wrote this drat movie, Nathen Mazri?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gonz posted:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the hallway ‘o blades having something to do with protecting the rest of the ship/umbilicus from gravitational distortions created by the core.

See, a perfectly sound engineering rationale that, nonetheless, creates something satanic-looking in practice. In attempting to construct something that subverted the laws of normal Euclidian 3D space, they didn't realize they were literally building a ship powered by blasphemy against the word of God.

e:

RevKrule posted:

https://twitter.com/GarfieldMovie/status/1724064572078690325

[First 20ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh this could be pretty interesting.
[Next 10ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh no.
[Hear Garfield speak and to the end of the trailer]: OH NO.

Speaking of things that seemed like a good idea to someone somewhere that in practice obviously subverts the will of God

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t know, the Garfield trailer wasn’t as bad as I expected

Samuel L Jackson feels more out of place than Chris Pratt to me though

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You want the hallway of blades in case the angel breaks out, clearly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

dr_rat posted:

lol. That's great.

Which brings up the question, if it was testing well, is canceling it for I'm assuming just a simple tax writer off worth it? Like why produce the thing in the first place if they didn't think it would make some money if it came out okay?

Do we just need to assume they were going to start canceling anything that they thought wasn't going to be a massive hit?

a lot of CEOs do not give a gently caress about projects they did not greenlight, because they can't claim credit for it. If they cancel a film though, they can say they are saving the company money.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Also, the FTL core is - by the artists' admitted intention - an imprisoned angel. A ball of fire surrounded by wheels covered in eyes.

Wasn't this how the original colony ships in the anime Trigun worked? Or rather stopped working when Vash and his brother came out of their "light bulbs."

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

MH Knights posted:

Wasn't this how the original colony ships in the anime Trigun worked? Or rather stopped working when Vash and his brother came out of their "light bulbs."

mmm, sorta, i think? i don't think it's ever spelled out what, exactly, they are- aliens, or angels, or modified humans- but you're correct that the light bulbs have -things- inside them, and that Vash & Knives are the same kind of -thing-, albeit V&K are male whereas the bulbs (which are still being used as power sources by cities & towns) are female.

mind you, i only ever watched the anime, and it was several years ago, so maybe take my recollection with a grain of salt.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 14, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't know that about Event Horizon but that fits and is cool as hell.

I also appreciate the movie for having a smart captain. As soon as he sees that tape he's getting everyone off the ship and blowing it up. No hesitation, no arguing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't know that about Event Horizon but that fits and is cool as hell.

I also appreciate the movie for having a smart captain. As soon as he sees that tape he's getting everyone off the ship and blowing it up. No hesitation, no arguing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WB seems like it's pulling Unity levels of self sabotage. I just wish it wasn't taking down hbo max in the process.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanks to a random 'change the soundtrack' thread from 20 years ago I can't watch that scene and not hear 'Little Spanish Tree'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks to a random 'change the soundtrack' thread from 20 years ago I can't watch that scene and not hear 'Little Spanish Tree'.

Little Spanish Flea?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBxsCI4hif8

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Taika Waititi announced that his Star Wars movie is still go, but he has yet to finish the script for it (he's been working on this since at least January 2020) and he's going to finish his next four (!) movies before getting to Star Wars.

So yeah, it's definitely for sure still going to happen.

Also Next Goal Wins has been getting some pretty bad reviews so far.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Chairman Capone posted:

Taika Waititi announced that his Star Wars movie is still go, but he has yet to finish the script for it (he's been working on this since at least January 2020) and he's going to finish his next four (!) movies before getting to Star Wars.

So yeah, it's definitely for sure still going to happen.

While I feel pretty confident that his treatment of The Incal is going to suck, I really want to know how he's planning on condensing 5 books into two hours while being even close to semi-coherent.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A Taika movie that's bad?? Who could've seen that coming.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Taika Waititi announced that his Star Wars movie is still go, but

quote:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In ten years I’m definitely releasing that movie

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DarkSol posted:

I really want to know how he's planning on condensing 5 books into two hours while being even close to semi-coherent.

I don't recall him promising that last part

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Oh I was more alluding to how taika having an incoming bomb doesn’t speak well to his chances of continuing to have a star wars movie on his plate, given licasfilm’s previous history

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Oh I was more alluding to how taika having an incoming bomb doesn’t speak well to his chances of continuing to have a star wars movie on his plate, given licasfilm’s previous history

I think Book of Henry was a real once in a lifetime bomb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hes probably a time traveler because he made the shittiest ww2 movie from 1994

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

DarkSol posted:

While I feel pretty confident that his treatment of The Incal is going to suck, I really want to know how he's planning on condensing 5 books into two hours while being even close to semi-coherent.

My fear is that John Difool will be too competent and likable, besides the obvious coherency question.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I think Book of Henry was a real once in a lifetime bomb.

There was also Wonder Woman 1984, mind you

e: also josh trank’s solo boba fett movie, the GoT guys getting a trilogy and then immediately having it nuked as soon as the final season came out, etc. disney-lucasfilm has an extremely obvious track record of getting cold feet and burning directors the moment they aren’t a known, set, guaranteed hot commodity

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 14, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, the Solo guys getting fired was pretty unique in that it wasn’t because they had a giant bomb.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's pretty cool that there have been more directors fired from or attached to nonexistent Star Wars movies than there are actual Star Wars movies.

• Benioff & Weiss (allegedly Old Republic)
  • Colin Trevorrow (Episode 9)
  • Guillermo Del Toro (Jabba the Hutt)
  • James Mangold (Boba Fett)
  • JD Dillard (unknown premise)
  • Josh Trank (Boba Fett)
  • Lord & Miller (Solo)
  • Patty Jenkins (Rogue Squadron)
  • Rian Johnson (unknown premise)
  • Russo Brothers (Kevin Feige's movie)
  • Stephen Daldry (Obi-Wan)
  • Taika Waititi (unknown premise)
  • Zack Snyder (Rebel Moon)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hes probably a time traveler because he made the shittiest ww2 movie from 1994

I can't think of a better illustration of a director slamming into their limits while also showcasing enough scenes from the exact film they should have made that the final result is as frustrating as it is bad.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The sad part is that just a few years ago, yeah, that would have seemed genuinely unlikely. There was a tweet that said 'the lesson from Taika's career is that Hollywood cocaine is a lot stronger than New Zealand cocaine' and that sums it up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Robot Style posted:

It's pretty cool that there have been more directors fired from or attached to nonexistent Star Wars movies than there are actual Star Wars movies.

• Benioff & Weiss (allegedly Old Republic)
  • Colin Trevorrow (Episode 9)
  • Guillermo Del Toro (Jabba the Hutt)
  • James Mangold (Boba Fett)
  • JD Dillard (unknown premise)
  • Josh Trank (Boba Fett)
  • Lord & Miller (Solo)
  • Patty Jenkins (Rogue Squadron)
  • Rian Johnson (unknown premise)
  • Russo Brothers (Kevin Feige's movie)
  • Stephen Daldry (Obi-Wan)
  • Taika Waititi (unknown premise)
  • Zack Snyder (Rebel Moon)

What's Lucas been doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm morbidly curious about what a Del Toro directed Jabba the Hutt movie would look like.