Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

I'd consider a smart trainer and Zwift, or whatever, but I'm able to ride outside year around. Peloton is just supplemental during the winter.

Hilarious how we live in the same city and I refuse to ride outside in the winter.

90% of it is that my workout time is from 5-630am, and I have very little interest in riding outside in the early morning when it's cold/dark and hasn't warmed up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hah. WFH tech bro life. Nice to break up my day with a lunch ride. Or work 7 AM to 3 PM and get out early.

Also, last winter was way more icy than the previous three. Will see how this one shapes up.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

kill me bro - 25 laps of the Volcano route to grab that badge too.

Thanks to the first half of the newest Mission Impossible, GCN-s Giro photography film and finally a combo of Machine Girl's music and podcasts.
Appropriate enough for the first day of the season where I woke up to snow on the ground.

Apples and oranges since I don't have a road bike IRL but on my gravel bike my fastest 100k outside solo has been about 3h:28m.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hella dope, 'grats!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's awesome, congrats!

Maybe I'll think about doing that as part of the Rapha 500 this winter or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
This site is too good to be true, right?

https://mordernbike.myshopify.com/products/bianchi-super-pista-frameset

All of their stock appears to be from pre-2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My dude it’s a straight up ripoff of ModernBike’s name with the worst fake site I’ve ever seen

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mordern HAHAHAHAHA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My dude it’s a straight up ripoff of ModernBike’s name with the worst fake site I’ve ever seen

amenenema posted:

Mordern HAHAHAHAHA

gently caress I didn’t even notice that lmao

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
One does not simply walk through mordern

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

wooger posted:

This is a large part of why a smart trainer & an app is far better value for real world cyclists, they’re a bunch cheaper and you can cancel when spring comes, no long contract.

To me, this is the biggest drawback of the peloton as a non-serious, recreational cyclist. Having to pay ~$50/mo kind of sucks, but if you use it for anything other than the bike OR have multiple people using it, I feel it's worth the cost. I pay for it year round and pretty much don't use it unless I can't ride outside, I'm just now coming in to prime peloton weather here in the northeast.

I considered getting a smart trainer + zwift or something along those lines considering my wife does not use the peloton, but I do like the fact that they figured out the workout plan and playlist for me already. I haven't seen a ton of other smart training apps aside from the zwift dreamcast graphics race stuff or "stare at this timer and bar graph ramp test" type thing. I need some music or something to motivate me to sweat.

I really like the powerzone content! I've actually been on a bit of a hiatus after retesting my FTP a couple of weeks ago and I'm kind of dreading getting back to it now at higher zones.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
The music matching/playlist or whatever does sound pretty neat.
I've been using Rouvy for my indoor trainer, but it has literally no sounds. Just videos of whatever routes you want to ride, but I have a Google nest smart speaker next to me, so I can go tell it to play whatever - if I'm still able to speak at that point in my ride of course.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Things that Peloton needs to address:

- Adjustable reach. My knees hit the bars when pedalling out of the saddle
- Ability to add your own music/playlists. Believe it or not but some folks don't need to hear the same top 40 songs forever
- Coasting. Not only does the flywheel inertia boost your power artificially, but it's a legit injury risk if you're used to being able to stop pedalling occasionally
- User created workouts
- Ability for an ERG mode

There's probably others that would be nice but as-is it's pretty useless for training cycling vs just "getting a workout in. Really though it's amazing reach can't be adjusted. I'm 6'1" and a pretty normal limb proportion/build and I can't ride out of the saddle LOL.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

amenenema posted:

Things that Peloton needs to address:

- Adjustable reach. My knees hit the bars when pedalling out of the saddle
- Ability to add your own music/playlists. Believe it or not but some folks don't need to hear the same top 40 songs forever
- Coasting. Not only does the flywheel inertia boost your power artificially, but it's a legit injury risk if you're used to being able to stop pedalling occasionally
- User created workouts
- Ability for an ERG mode

There's probably others that would be nice but as-is it's pretty useless for training cycling vs just "getting a workout in. Really though it's amazing reach can't be adjusted. I'm 6'1" and a pretty normal limb proportion/build and I can't ride out of the saddle LOL.

I'd want to see your technique where you're hitting your bars out of the saddle. I have my Stages SB20 bars set up way closer to my body than on my real bikes, and this isn't a problem.

As far as fixed gears boosting power artificially, that's now how it works. Flywheels store energy, not power. You have to add energy into a flywheel or it will decelerate. The Peloton bike is estimating power based off of the flywheel's instantaneous speed, its acceleration and the brake power being applied. A flywheel that is slowing down is losing energy and unpowered (once accounting for efficiency losses in the system.)

It sounds like you want a smartbike and not a Peloton/spinbike.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just riding normally like I do on a regular bike. My road bike has a 100mm stem

Re power - well then it's just badly calibrated. 20W higher than normal PM output and definitely feels easier.

I have a smart trainer but use a family member's Peloton when I'm at their place. Unimpressive.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I'm so tempted to get a dedicated indoor bike now, after about a month of indoor riding and with ~4-5 months of poo poo weather ahead.
Stages SB 20 is currently 2099€, the KICKR Bike Shift is being sold locally for 3k and the Tacx Neo bike like 3.8k.

Friggin' expensive, and my Tacx Flux S works fine but all the noise and potential vibrations generated from the setup keep from using it early in the morning. The idea of a near-silent thing sounds real nice...

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Angryhead posted:

I'm so tempted to get a dedicated indoor bike now, after about a month of indoor riding and with ~4-5 months of poo poo weather ahead.
Stages SB 20 is currently 2099€, the KICKR Bike Shift is being sold locally for 3k and the Tacx Neo bike like 3.8k.

Friggin' expensive, and my Tacx Flux S works fine but all the noise and potential vibrations generated from the setup keep from using it early in the morning. The idea of a near-silent thing sounds real nice...

Not sure in Euro-land but in the US you can usually find BowFlex/Schwinn IC4 bikes barely used for $200-300 dollars. They have a rudimentary power meter (read: LOL) but it will happily take standard power meter pedals. It's good enough for the wife and I to use with Apple Fitness/Peloton and I have used it in Zwift but the built-in power meter gives an unfair wattage if you crank up the resistance high enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ugh. Got to 5.0 miles and 875ft in on Road to Sky (Alpe du Zwift) before running out of steam. Turned around for another couple miles and kissing 55mph. Gives me a starting point to start from at least. Goals for next season roughly match AdZ (CO natl monument and Boulder's Flagstaff climb) among other events so lots of conditioning coming over winter.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

ilkhan posted:

Ugh. Got to 5.0 miles and 875ft in on Road to Sky (Alpe du Zwift) before running out of steam. Turned around for another couple miles and kissing 55mph. Gives me a starting point to start from at least. Goals for next season roughly match AdZ (CO natl monument and Boulder's Flagstaff climb) among other events so lots of conditioning coming over winter.

I went up the Tourmalet on Rouvy a week or two ago. The first real climb I've done, and my legs were shot for days afterwards. 2 hours at 60 rpm and constant pressure on the pedals sure was something new. I enjoyed the experience a lot, so I'll probably be looking to do more climbing going ahead. But, like you, lots of conditioning to do still.
I only bought my road bike in late July, so I'm still getting to grips with it all.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

-Anders posted:

I went up the Tourmalet on Rouvy a week or two ago. The first real climb I've done, and my legs were shot for days afterwards. 2 hours at 60 rpm and constant pressure on the pedals sure was something new. I enjoyed the experience a lot, so I'll probably be looking to do more climbing going ahead. But, like you, lots of conditioning to do still.
I only bought my road bike in late July, so I'm still getting to grips with it all.

Not sure if you have a smart trainer or if Rouvy has a difficulty setting, but you can use the slider in Zwift like a gearing modifier to effectively give you a smaller front chainring. That way you can avoid the 60rpm bit at least

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Heliosicle posted:

Not sure if you have a smart trainer or if Rouvy has a difficulty setting, but you can use the slider in Zwift like a gearing modifier to effectively give you a smaller front chainring. That way you can avoid the 60rpm bit at least

Oh it absolutely does! But where's the fun in that? :sweatdrop:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So does anyone make a chest strap HR monitor that isn’t a loving piece of garbage? I’ve gone through a Garmin and a Polar in the course of a year and it’s so goddamn frustrating to get on the bike and have to fiddle with it to get it to connect, or for it to just up and die for no reason.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mine is a scosche rhythm that just keeps trucking and never gives me crap. A v1 because I didn't like the strap on the newer ones so much.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

So does anyone make a chest strap HR monitor that isn’t a loving piece of garbage? I’ve gone through a Garmin and a Polar in the course of a year and it’s so goddamn frustrating to get on the bike and have to fiddle with it to get it to connect, or for it to just up and die for no reason.

I’ve had decent luck with my polar h10. The only downside is that I have to unclip one side when not in use, otherwise the battery drains. What’s the issue with yours?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve had decent luck with my polar h10. The only downside is that I have to unclip one side when not in use, otherwise the battery drains. What’s the issue with yours?

Well I guess that explains why my Polar H10 is currently not working. Love that these things use the stupid coin batteries instead of being rechargeable like every other piece of electronics released in the last decade

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Freaquency posted:

You’re washing the straps right?

Also, you can replace the strap on its own, that’s what normally dies first.

I’ve had my Garmin for 3 years with no issues, through a couple of replacement batteries.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

Well I guess that explains why my Polar H10 is currently not working. Love that these things use the stupid coin batteries instead of being rechargeable like every other piece of electronics released in the last decade

Yeah it took me a while to figure out that you have to unclip one side. If you don’t, the battery drains super quickly because presumably it’s still connected to your watch/computer/etc.

wooger posted:

I’ve had my Garmin for 3 years with no issues, through a couple of replacement batteries.

This too. The polar strap is comfortable, but that means the durability goes down. I seem to have to replace the polar strap every other year or so.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I have a like ten+ year old Garmin HR monitor that I’ve replaced the strap once after it got super ratty (but still worked). I used it with my old Edge 500 and now for several years with my Edge 520. Really never had any problems with it. I’ve never made a conscious effort to disconnect it, and sometimes wash the strap with water. It just works and a battery lasts years. :shrug:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah it took me a while to figure out that you have to unclip one side. If you don’t, the battery drains super quickly because presumably it’s still connected to your watch/computer/etc.

wooger posted:

Yeah I rinse it after a ride but always connected the monitor to the strap again because it’s easier to track one thing instead of two :downs: I had no clue that it just stayed on instead of going into sleep mode if it, y’know, doesn’t detect a heart rate. I’ll go find one of those stupid coin cell batteries today because of course it doesn’t take the same size as my old one. May go get one of the forearm monitors from REI too and give that a shot. I don’t need pinpoint accuracy, I just like having a general idea of what heart rate zone I’m in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guinness posted:

I have a like ten+ year old Garmin HR monitor that I’ve replaced the strap once after it got super ratty (but still worked). I used it with my old Edge 500 and now for several years with my Edge 520. Really never had any problems with it. I’ve never made a conscious effort to disconnect it, and sometimes wash the strap with water. It just works and a battery lasts years. :shrug:

I also had one of these Garmin HRMs, only ANT+ and it lasted ages. Battery would go a couple years at a time. Finally died. RIP.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I rinse it after a ride but always connected the monitor to the strap again because it’s easier to track one thing instead of two :downs: I had no clue that it just stayed on instead of going into sleep mode if it, y’know, doesn’t detect a heart rate. I’ll go find one of those stupid coin cell batteries today because of course it doesn’t take the same size as my old one. May go get one of the forearm monitors from REI too and give that a shot. I don’t need pinpoint accuracy, I just like having a general idea of what heart rate zone I’m in.

Wait, you’ve not even tried replacing the battery yet? Yes do that.

I’ve never made any effort to disconnect or care for my HRM other than washing the strap about once a week (in the normal sports wash). Battery lasts a year at least anyway.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Angryhead posted:

SB20 is occasionally on a super deep discount, at least in the past

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

wooger posted:

Wait, you’ve not even tried replacing the battery yet? Yes do that.

I’ve never made any effort to disconnect or care for my HRM other than washing the strap about once a week (in the normal sports wash). Battery lasts a year at least anyway.

Oh yeah I figured it probably was the battery but I’ve had it for less than two months, so the battery crapping out that quickly seemed obscene. I didn’t realize that this one in particular just stays on because reasons. The Garmin also gave me fits with the battery after a bit and also wasn’t super keen on staying connected to my Zwift Hub. I never had issues with my cadence and speed sensors so the HR strap being finicky was extra annoying.

I went out and got a Tickr Fit with my REI coupon anyway to see if I like it better. It’s rechargeable, at least.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the tacx neo 2t since it's on sale for $900 at several places. I've never had a smart trainer and still using a kinetic rock and roller with an old quarq.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I like my swift hub. Seems to do the job fine, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Did an hour on it tonight. Works well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Withnail posted:

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the tacx neo 2t since it's on sale for $900 at several places. I've never had a smart trainer and still using a kinetic rock and roller with an old quarq.

Just buy an Elite Direto and save $500

https://bikecloset.com/product/elite-direto-xr-with-cassette/

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I rarely have issues with my Garmin HRM strap. I disconnect the actual sensor after I finish riding and I wash the strap with my bibs and jersey in a delicates bag usually after every ride. I toss in my gloves and helmet pads every few rides too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Freaquency posted:

Tbqh, I'm not sure what the "true" behavior of the Polar H10 is. I also assumed it would shut off when it didn't detect a heart rate, but I was running in to the same issue and going through batteries at a ridiculous pace. Forum surfing led me to realize that other people solved this by disconnecting their sensors, and ever since then, my battery lasts months with daily use. I keep my laptop within bluetooth range of my HR monitor, so maybe it kept a connection or something?

The polar straps have always seemed the most comfortable to me, but I haven't used a garmin HR strap in like 15 years, so maybe they're better these days.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a CatEye strap that’s been spot on since I got it. If it’s not clipped in right it will read 0 BPM , but if it’s on right never had an issue with it. I just rinse the strap in the sink between uses and once or twice in the trainer season I’ll try and get it with something more soapy and work out the grime.

Picked up a Saris H3 new at the LBS for $499, replacing a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. I have a CycleOps Power Beam ANT+ I was given, but haven’t spent the time to set up something to use ANT. The $500 was free from my HMO.

Seems to be the new price point for decent hardware given the Zwift hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I own an sb20 and have had no issues. If you believe the Facebook group the bike is an unreliable pos with poor support. The answer is probably somewhere in between.