Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Actually, how many people would even see money in mostly agricultural society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
classic move is that you force taxes to be paid in coinage so they see it at least once a year

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As always, it depends. For instance the medieval Roman West largely becomes demonetized (everybody is paying taxes in kind and by corvee), while the East is still a monetized economy, though it goes through phases of greater and lesser specie availability.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah it’s very hard to judge because 1) ancient literary sources don’t care about the topic (being written by citified well-off dudes who probably had little idea what the peasants do with their money) and 2) if you want to archeologically investigate coins, the places to do that are cities, villas, army forts, ie the places where you would expect a lot of money to be—you don’t usually go looking for random poor man’s farm from 2000 years ago, and you have a good chance of not finding it if you try.

That said, we have authentic records of coin transactions from stuff like the Oxyrhyncus papyri. One of these for example records the lease, by Anteros, slave & agent of Gnaeus Pompeius Porus, to an Egyptian farmer Papus, of one red cow named Thayris, for a period of ten months. Papus is to pay ten artabas (as far as I can tell, something like 300 liters) of new wheat for the lease of the cow. If he doesn’t return it in good condition, however, he will have to immediately pay one hundred and eighty-seven drachmas of silver money from his own resources. Which seems like a lot although it’s hard to tell. The commentator here adduces other cow deals for which we have receipts and suggests that Papus was being overcharged on the wheat. Anyway I think it’s clear from this that, at least, an Egyptian farmer under (very recently instituted) Roman rule would have had some amount of hard cash, but that if possible he would have preferred to hang onto it and pay in kind.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3821645

This may not be representative of everywhere in the empire though. Egypt had had widespread coinage for a very long time by this point (notice that the money is Hellenistic, not denarii), and it’s easy to believe that the Papus-equivalents of Armorica or Illyria or whatever wouldn’t.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 13, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fish of hemp posted:

Too broad a question for an answer. There were societies that were more monetized than others. And even within them, there were times Roman society was just about fully monetized and everyone was using it and times when it wasn't. And it was different in different regions!

If you're a Roman farmer in southern Gaul in 100 AD, you're using money all the time. If you're that farmer in the same place in 450, probably not.

There were times in Chinese history were not only was everyone required to pay taxes in cash, but specifically silver coins. This as you might imagine was exploitable and led to quite a lot of revolt.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

my uneducated assumption has always been that even if farmers mostly used barter amongst themselves and nearby towns, they would still have some cash on hand for when they bought things from cities. Since from what i know people rarely actually stayed in their home village their entire lives and did make trips to other towns and cities to visit family, go on pilgrimages, and visit the large markets where they can get things not availably locally in NW Gaul or wherever.

"Hey kevin in can you pay me in silver this month instead of with grain? I'm doing my yearly visit to the in-laws in Trier and need a new sword and some of those fancy spices we use for the holiday feasts"

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fish of hemp posted:

As mentioned this is quite broad and I'd say that if they lived in a society that had money, they probably interacted with money, but agriculture is about twice as old as money, so there's a pretty long period when we have agricultural societies but nobody anywhere had any money.

And this may be a little pedantic but its made somewhat more complicated by the fact that money is kind of an abstract concept rather than a physical good. I mostly get paid in numbers that show up in a bank account, and I pay for things by using a complex system of credit transfers. I don't think people would say that this is "not money." So, for a Sumerian peasant who goes to the alewife or bronzesmith and buys a bunch of beer/tools and the alewife or smith writes down how much they owe on a ledger denominated in shekels that the peasant pays back at the harvest with an equivalent quantity of barley, that's interacting with money, even if no coins pass hands. After all, the history of money is also about twice as long as the history of coinage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724114505305665635

Of course I am hyped for a biopic on one of the most interesting historical figures of antiquity played by one of our finest living actors but the blue check world is concerned that Hannibal Barca "wasn't black". I don't even know what modern racial phenotype Carthaginians are supposed to slot into, Berber? Levantine?

My only concern is that the only two historical films Fuqua has directed are very small in scope compared to Hannibal's alpine campaign .

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 13, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for letting us know Twitter is mad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pompeii farms were preserved. Their excavation has not afaict made the popular books. Maybe if someone could look up the academic articles there is some talk about the money found around the farms

Campania was an old and prosperous region of Italia at the time of Vesuvius tho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I look forward to the "making of" feature, wherein the filmmakers fail to get elephants across the alps

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hannibal was likely not what a modern person would consider black, Phoenicians were from modern Lebanon-ish. But a) we don't have his full lineage so can't be sure if/how mixed he was and b) who cares.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Denzel is already older than Hannibal ever was. That’s my only hesitation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I look forward to the "making of" feature, wherein the filmmakers fail to get elephants across the alps

This will prove that ancient aliens moved the elephants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Hannibal never attacked Rome !! What is the standards for tweets these days

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Denzel is already older than Hannibal ever was. That’s my only hesitation

He was really starting to show his age in Equalizer 3 too. On the other hand people always assume ancient people were older than they actually were.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s funny people get mad about Denzel but no one was mad that Mel Gibson played William Wallace. Curious

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1724114505305665635

Of course I am hyped for a biopic on one of the most interesting historical figures of antiquity played by one of our finest living actors but the blue check world is concerned that Hannibal Barca "wasn't black". I don't even know what modern racial phenotype Carthaginians are supposed to slot into, Berber? Levantine?

My only concern is that the only two historical films Fuqua has directed are very small in scope compared to Hannibal's alpine campaign .

the bigger problem is Hannibal was 26 at the start of the 2nd punic war and his youth is literally a part of how he was underestimated.

Denzel is 70.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It could work as flash backs with old one eye Hannibal telling court stories

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

euphronius posted:

Also Hannibal never attacked Rome !! What is the standards for tweets these days

He attacked the state of Rome, even if he never reached the city. Overruled.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All Roads lead to Rome ergo all road trips are Rome trips and all road movies are Rome movies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the bigger problem is Hannibal was 26 at the start of the 2nd punic war and his youth is literally a part of how he was underestimated.

Denzel is 70.

Hollywood wants everyone fighting wars to be twice their age though, so it kinda works out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hmm let’s see who we can cast for Hannibal. A-lister, ok. Vaguely Levantine appearance, ok. Needs to look like they’d invade your country…Is Gal Gadot free?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

He attacked the state of Rome, even if he never reached the city. Overruled.

Fair enough

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

skasion posted:

Hmm let’s see who we can cast for Hannibal. A-lister, ok. Vaguely Levantine appearance, ok. Needs to look like they’d invade your country…Is Gal Gadot free?

Featuring the mustachioed Guy Godot

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

skasion posted:

lmao

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hollywood wants everyone fighting wars to be twice their age though, so it kinda works out.

There's a couple things going on here but almost certainly the dominating element of this is that we basically just don't make actual movie stars anymore (understood by film nerds as 'a person so important that they get billing above the title of the film and can draw an audience regardless of the rest of marketing'). It feels like the sort of thing that should be renewable but its pretty much going extinct and the few that remain are getting older and older. Tom Cruise is on the young side.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very not ancient history but Tom Hanks was something like twice the age of the average Army captain in Saving Private Ryan. It's about convincing audiences that this a guy they too would want to follow into battle, or in this case over the Alps, and very, very few 26-yo actors can pull that off.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Very not ancient history but Tom Hanks was something like twice the age of the average Army captain in Saving Private Ryan. It's about convincing audiences that this a guy they too would want to follow into battle, or in this case over the Alps, and very, very few 26-yo actors can pull that off.

sure, so pick a man in his 30s or early 40s like the tom hanks example. not a man over retirement age

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, this movie is probably only getting made because famous director Antione Fuqua wants to make it, and he made Training Day and all the Equalizer movies.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"Hey Coemgenus in can you pay me in silver this month instead of with grain? I'm doing my yearly visit to the in-laws in Trier and need a new sword and some of those fancy spices we use for the holiday feasts"

Wondering where the name Kevin came from and they gave the Latin version of the Irish name...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Denzel is 70.

Yeah this is the thing that bothers me. Would love it if people in biopics were at least approximately the right age. And since most war films are trying to play up the tragedy of it, casting a bunch of 18-20 year olds will only dial that up.

zoux posted:

It's about convincing audiences that this a guy they too would want to follow into battle, or in this case over the Alps, and very, very few 26-yo actors can pull that off.

I don't know jack about acting, but there's gotta be some up and coming talent that could do it. Just have to find a director proud enough to take it as a challenge.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 14, 2023

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

All Roads lead to Rome ergo all road trips are Rome trips and all road movies are Rome movies.

Getting hype for Mad Maximus: Fury Rome

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dopilsya posted:

Getting hype for Mad Maximus: Fury Rome

Thread title

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t Hannibal live a long time after the wars? Maybe he’s playing old man Hannibal to tell the story around the old campfire?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Hannibal was likely not what a modern person would consider black, Phoenicians were from modern Lebanon-ish. But a) we don't have his full lineage so can't be sure if/how mixed he was and b) who cares.
Also how much were ancient colonies like early modern colonies, populated by citizens of the metropole? I'd expect most people living in Carthage to be locals, not Levantine imports. But supposedly his family comes from Cyrene, a Greek city in Libya founded in the mid-600s BC, so I guess Levantine is right for him after all. European colonization of North Africa (and vice versa; Sicily, Sardinia, and southern Hispania, for instance) had been going on for a long time already.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just watched U-571, and in Ebert's review of the film he complained that the submarine's crew all looked too young :psyduck:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There aren't any movie stars under the age of fifty, that's why.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gosling

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tulip posted:

lmao

There's a couple things going on here but almost certainly the dominating element of this is that we basically just don't make actual movie stars anymore (understood by film nerds as 'a person so important that they get billing above the title of the film and can draw an audience regardless of the rest of marketing'). It feels like the sort of thing that should be renewable but its pretty much going extinct and the few that remain are getting older and older. Tom Cruise is on the young side.

ok boomer

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dopilsya posted:

Mad Maximus: Fury Rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Star Man posted:

There aren't any movie stars under the age of fifty, that's why.

Sure there are. They just all do the Marvel movies made for babies (I would too, for that kinda paycheck) and its hard to imagine them in a more serious/period piece type of role.