Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
loving love it! Thanks.

Here's some pics of The Mansters playing at the release party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Going to attempt to shoot Full Of Hell, Whores, Oxbow, Venus Twins, Divide and Dissolve, Hiraki, Telos, Vi som älskade varandra så mycket, Puke Wolf, Syl and Oxx this saturday. In a venue that is anything but used to having these kind of bands haha.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Woodenlung posted:

Going to attempt to shoot Full Of Hell, Whores, Oxbow, Venus Twins, Divide and Dissolve, Hiraki, Telos, Vi som älskade varandra så mycket, Puke Wolf, Syl and Oxx this saturday. In a venue that is anything but used to having these kind of bands haha.

Hell yeah - absolutely use the whole venue to take advantage of that unique factor. Those bands don't belong there and I'd be showcasing that heavily in my photos!

Speaking of weird venues, I hit up the local metal show at our Thai Restaurant in the middle of a decrepid mall:

2 Shadows

Itus

Seagrave

Sewn

I've also been trying to incorporate more crowd stuff in my photosets:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 14, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

First couple from Dreamcatcher. I have a few thousand more to go through 🤟

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 15, 2023

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The European punks frown on crowd photos. There are some good reasons, but it still sucks. I wish I could get more pics of the kids having fun.

Yesterday there was a huge moshpit, and I'd love to shoot it.

But the rule is camera pointed at stage ONLY.

Here's Draümar, a Norwegian hardcore band

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Runaway Legs posted:

The European punks frown on crowd photos. There are some good reasons, but it still sucks.

Maybe i'm just bad at reading social cues, but I never got that anywhere haha. What are the reasons?

Cool photos btw

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Thanks. Reasons are varied. Sometimes it's because it's a squatted house. Other times there are people who aren't out officially that lets their freak flag fly at shows. Shows are supposed to be a safe space and the punk scene - at least here in Norway- is way more diverse these days than it was just ten - fifteen years ago.
And I suspect tradition plays a part. Big cameras used to mean press. And the press are rarely on the punks' side.

My local punk house has a warning about it on the flyers, so no social cues necessary there. And they're quick to let you know if you're breaking the rules, so you're probably fine. My sweeping generalisation was just that.

But I remember last time I was at Köpi in Berlin. Big sign on stage with NO CAMERAS. Audience full of phones filming the show.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

More from Dreamcatcher, team really loved the work so fingers crossed it's the first of many with them. Usually theater shows like this have pretty bad lighting, but this theater had really high lights as well as the front of house spotlights, so I got a really great glow on the whole stage.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 16, 2023

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Venus Twins

Hiraki

Whores

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 17, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shot a charity gig last Friday. Best lighting I've had since starting in March.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting Babymetal and Dethkloks last show tomorrow night! 🤟🤟

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

preview from Babymetal!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jason Richardson ripping

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Couple more from Babymetal. Really proud of this show

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 15, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Toronto rockers Ready The Prince (check them out they're so good) hit up my hometown venue and they gave me the opportunity to get a little creative:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some B&W from Babymetal.

I also put together an editorial portfolio for an interview with Getty Images if anyone would be interested in seeing that and the thoughts behind it for editing (almost SOOC vs creative edits I usually post), what shots I chose and why, etc.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Bottom Liner posted:

I also put together an editorial portfolio for an interview with Getty Images if anyone would be interested in seeing that and the thoughts behind it for editing (almost SOOC vs creative edits I usually post), what shots I chose and why, etc.

for sure, post up

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maxe posted:

for sure, post up

Cool

So I applied for an entertainment editorial position with Getty, and worked with a photo editor from ABC and the NYT to select these images out of about 2k to show the style of images that Getty wants and what does well there. Generally, that means a breadth and depth of coverage for events. Close ups and wides of the artists, big venue shots, some action shots, etc. Presentation wise, they don't want any heavy editing but also not photojournalistic untouched images, as they work on licensing so they want nice looking images (my editor friend said "think magazine story, not newspaper").

For me, that meant pulling back from what I would do for publicists and artists where a lot of my work included specifics about retouching, aesthetics, etc, and editing a more clean image that doesn't have stylized edits or retouching. In a lot of cases, I do like a lot of images better this way too. All I'm doing for editorial editing is cropping white balancing, light color grading, and exposure/contrast adjustment, which is also key for same day uploads coverage like this requires. Here's a few examples:

Portfolio: https://davidchilders.myportfolio.com/

Raw:

My edit for the artist - much more dramatic and a loft of skin softening, etc

My edit for editorial:

Raw

Artist - More subtle, but this one has a lot of skin retouching I removed as well as background masking for more dramatic colors

Editorial

Raw:

Artist - dodging and burning, deep color grading, background blurring, skin retouching

Editorial

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
thats rad, i love the editing comparisons

i think ive seen you post rehearsal shots before, is it a standard process for shooting those big stadium performances to prep at the rehearsal as well?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maxe posted:

thats rad, i love the editing comparisons

i think ive seen you post rehearsal shots before, is it a standard process for shooting those big stadium performances to prep at the rehearsal as well?

I haven't shot any rehearsals but I've done coverage for VIP meet and greets etc. As for prep, I familiarize myself with the staging and choreography for the setlist since a lot of what I'm shooting has very scripted performances and a lot of the tours start overseas. Shooting the big arenas and stadiums you will get a walkthrough and cue sheet, especially if there are any pyro effects in place and you will have a handler or security member to make sure you don't leave designated spots in those cases because of liability. Livenation and some venues also require photographers or videographers to have a liability policy as well, which ranges from 50-100 bucks for a standard 1 day 1 million coverage policy. Those big arena and stadium tours have some crazy logistics and it's about 36 hours of around the clock work from start of setup to end of teardown for a 3 hour show.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 24, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I've been listening to Dan Mangan for probably about 10 years so I feel incredibly fortunate to be given photo passes to two shows here. This is from Monday. The next show I get to shoot is next week. I'm kind of in shock I got to shoot him to be quite honest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All good shots but the fourth one is especially great. The first and fourth are underexposed (and I can tell it was low light), I'd try at least pushing the highlights up some and maybe drop contrast to balance if needed.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Like this?

(Advice followed on right vs original on left)

Appreciate the actual insight on the technique on how to fix it otherwise, I would've probably spiralled into ruining it and giving up

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Like this?
[timg][/timg]
(Advice followed on right vs original on left)

Appreciate the actual insight on the technique on how to fix it otherwise, I would've probably spiralled into ruining it and giving up

Yeah exactly. Pushing highlights and whites and dropping contrast or dehaze is my go to for boosting dark scenes without adding a lot of noise to the shadows.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shot a show on Saturday where the guy who owned the lights removed them from the venue right before show time as people were using them without permission or something.

So glad I randomly felt the need to bring a flash (I typically don't shoot shows with flash).

First time shooting a show with flash. I'm so glad the scene here is heavy on flash users so I had a bit of an understanding of what to do with it.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 30, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

So glad I randomly felt the need to bring a flash (I typically don't shoot shows with flash).

You nailed the shutter speed to freeze things but still capture the energy. I'd crank the flash up a stop or so though, looks like a dark or wood ceiling and that eats up the light if you're bouncing.

2 nights with Purple Kiss for their first US tour and sold out crowds in Boston and NYC. Lighting guy asked me if I wanted the fog cranked night 2 since the stage lights were low and close, I said definitely. Worked out great.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

You nailed the shutter speed to freeze things but still capture the energy. I'd crank the flash up a stop or so though, looks like a dark or wood ceiling and that eats up the light if you're bouncing.

I drastically drop highlights in my edits for whatever reason, call it style, or preferences, or a lovely monitor, but I'm terrified of having blown highlights or overexposed photos hahaha

Those shots are incredible.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
So much good stuff here. Thread's killing it! I love seeing your work

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Exploring in camera double exposures for a certain uniqueness in the area that I'm shooting in shows-wise went and saw Dan Mangan and Aysanabee again in Waterloo last week:

Dan Mangan:

Aysanabee:

This weekend I have 2 shows on Friday and Saturday night then a mini session with a band on Sunday who asked me to get some promo shots going. Gonna be a busy busy weekend.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's a cool idea, and I like the results.

Where in Waterloo? I used to live stumble-home distance from Maxwell's and I still miss going to shows there.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah that was actually at Maxwell's!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everglow for their sold out show in Tampa. Was a really fun night and they had a ton of energy their whole set.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

God drat you're really good at this.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the triple portrait layout images.

Some selects from my Friday night gig with Taking Balfour in Brantford Ontario at a tiny venue:

First kind of gig where I did candids, promo, and set photos for a band. They seem to really like the output. So thankful for this thread, inspiration, feedback, and tips and tricks have helped me a lot over the last 6 months or so.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 13, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You’re killing it too. Flash looking dialed in for motion and exposure. Bass shot is my favorite, but that might because of that loving sick Dingwall that I’m not jealous of at all.

Pretty sure I saw some of your shots in Todd’s discord server? Great stuff and crew there. Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 13, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

You’re killing it too. Flash looking dialed in for motion and exposure. Bass shot is my favorite, but that might because of that loving sick Dingwall that I’m not jealous of at all.

Pretty sure I saw some of your shots in Todd’s discord server? Great stuff and crew there. Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Thank you! Yeah that Bassist shot is going in the portfolio for sure.

And yeah I've poked my head in Todd's discord every so often. Great insight in how the industry is, though I've found sometimes it exacerbates imposter syndrome in me, but also I need to understand the difference in scale economy wise - a lot of these people are shooting huge stars, I'm shooting guys playing to crowds of 40. The economies and prices are different for these things.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The bass shot is loving dope! And impostor syndrome is a thing. Hell, I had a photo book released by a real publisher last month, and I still don't feel like a real photographer. I shoot small shows as well. Just keep doing what you do.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Hey this is timely!

I might be in my own head a little bit about delivering these to the client - the stage was static PURPLE RED BLUE for the whole night. Unchanging.
The memories for the stage are seared in like that, but if I were to edit without colour correcting, they'd turn to absolute mush.

These examples are just quick edits to figure out colour coding and calibrations, not final edits.

Harsh Purple Light

Dealing with straight RED Light

Walk me off the edge here - are these colour corrections okay? I'm going nuts here.

Runaway Legs posted:

The bass shot is loving dope! And impostor syndrome is a thing. Hell, I had a photo book released by a real publisher last month, and I still don't feel like a real photographer. I shoot small shows as well. Just keep doing what you do.
Hey thanks! Getting published must be absolutely frightening and daunting but that's so exciting! Do you have a link to the book or anything? I'd love to know more about it!

Just looked at your posts in the thread - I love your work with flash - are you bouncing off the ceiling or are you going direct with a diffuser bulb or are you just raw doggin' flash?

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 14, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah those are going in the right direction. Sometimes there's not enough room in the color channels to fully correct (at least in LR/camera RAW), so you just have to lean in to the cast or go B&W. Another trick you can do is to edit just for exposure, monochrome it, then pull it into photoshop and use the neural colorize filter. It's hit or miss, but when it works it's pretty incredible.

This was one I couldn't rescue from the lighting, so I just edited for exposure (evening out the color banding, etc) and it turned out well.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Getting there - I appreciate the little push in the right direction and "keep going" a lot. For a lot of these they're heading straight to the B&W pile but there's a few that are looking way better.

I'm confident I'm going to be getting another paid gig with these guys in Feb. They were also understanding of the lighting issue at hand when I was weary about the static red main light haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Double Posting because gently caress it -

Got through all of the deliverables from the weekend - Gigs on Saturday and Sunday and a quick mini session on Sunday evening

Taking Balfour - 2 Doors Down in Brantford. I did the whole gamut for them - quick promo, set photos and candids; feedback was incredible from them:

Leash - Paddy's Underground in Tillsonburg. Cousin of my realtor booked this gig for them - what a gift. Great group of musicians doing a comprehensive 2 hour set of Pearl Jam's catalogue - There are colour photos I've delivered just don't like them enough to post here haha!

Tortugal Sacrifice - Mini shoot before their set on Sunday evening - So much fun hanging out with new blood. These guys get it; can't let yourself take metal too seriously. Spacing on the first image is a little wonky I have to work on instructing poses more. Mistake on my part.