Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They need to take one of the older kids to court and have them legally declared younger so the cousin can split a room with them. Only way out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

the holy poopacy posted:

she deserves more support than just being told to lump it.

Wait, did dad tell her to punch the ten year old?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

They need to take one of the older kids to court and have them legally declared younger so the cousin can split a room with them. Only way out of this.

At this point I wonder if the 14 year old or her siblings have thought about calling CPS. Not that it would do much good but the 14 year old having to act as a night parent might raise an alarm.

I hope the 10 year old is in therapy.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

CPS only cares about the one child. Obvious solution is to put the 14 year old in the 3-walled room for the winter. Only way out of this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I got my tubes tied without telling my husband?

bolding mine.

gee I wonder why she doesn't want to have a 5th kid.

You aren't getting your tubes tied on the down-low. It's a major surgery, with a decently long recovery period. They aren't an AH for wanting to do it, but ESH when they can't talk about it like adults and respect each other's boundaries. A 5th kid when you already have 2 special needs kids? :yikeseroo:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nocheez posted:

You aren't getting your tubes tied on the down-low. It's a major surgery, with a decently long recovery period. They aren't an AH for wanting to do it, but ESH when they can't talk about it like adults and respect each other's boundaries. A 5th kid when you already have 2 special needs kids? :yikeseroo:

A friend of mine had a laparoscopic tubal ligation recently. It's an outpatient procedure and she was up and about (with some soreness) within three days. Not that OP would be able to hide the new scars or handwave away suddenly not being able to move around like she normally does

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cowslips Warren posted:

At this point I wonder if the 14 year old or her siblings have thought about calling CPS. Not that it would do much good but the 14 year old having to act as a night parent might raise an alarm.

I hope the 10 year old is in therapy.

If the parents can show it's temporary and they're mid-building a new room, CPS will be fine. You have to remember that there's a shortage of people to throw orphaned kids at, so they don't actually just yank a kid out of a situation at the first sign of discomfort.

The 14yo is in a lovely spot but it's got a definite end point and they legally can't put the kid anywhere else. This isn't one of those 'and the parents just dumped it on the kid for free babysitting' situations, everyone is kinda doing the best they can and it should be over soon. The other option is the kid gets thrown into the system, which uh, no, that's not what should happen here.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I mean, it's a tough situation that should hopefully be over soon but having your sleep disrupted nearly every day for over half a year is a lot to spring on anyone, nevermind a moody teen. Would foster care really yank the niece back out if the 17 year old shared the bedroom for a month or two instead as they finished renovations? Surely if everything else in the home was up to standard there would be some leeway?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the idea that it's going to be over soon when it's already been 6 months is a lot to swallow. At the very least the parents aren't taking the 14-year-olds concerns and needs into account at all.

AITA for taking the money my grandparents saved for college and agreeing with them that my half sister isn’t their grandkid

quote:

I will try to keep this short. I am 18 and when I was around 10 my mom cheated on my father and got pregnant. This resulted in my half sister Kathy. Soon after my parents cut my grandparents out of our life. My parents stayed together. I turned 18 three months ago and my grandparents reached out.

They informed me over lunch that when Kathy was born they made it clear they do not see her as a grandkid. That she is the product of my mom cheating on her son. They refused to make a college fund for her and my parents cut them out due to it.

They informed me that I have a college fund from them and I decide to take it. I came home and kept it to myself. I have been reconnecting with them and it came to a head today. They learned who I was hanging out with.

This resulting in an argument for taking the money when they shun Kathy. I told them they were right to not consider her a grandkid and to screw then for cutting them out of my life.

They haven’t talked to me since and I am doubting myself.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If the 10 year old refuses to use a baby monitor while the 14 year old is in the room I don't think things will improve once the new room exists.

But I feel like the parents should definitely be making this up to their daughter somehow. She can't have sleepovers, she can't not be there, and her sleep is disrupted nearly every single night to be an appendix for her mother.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No they wouldn't, what I mean when I say the only other solution is back in the system is that, there seems to literally be no other place they can legally put the kid, so their choices seem to be house the kid with the 14yo and build a room, or not take on the kid. And the latter would be a crying shame to do considering they have the space and money and it's a temporary situation with the rooms.

It's definitely a lot to ask of a 14yo, but it's not a situation where the parents are trying to force one kid into the care of the other in order to evade parental responsibility. It's just a lovely situation all around and yeah I feel for the 14yo.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

At worst they kid will only have to be night mom for 4 years or so until she can flee the situation. I'm sure if the parents calmly explain everything she won't have any lingering resentment.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that they're exempt on Tuesday. In fact, some people could take advantage of such things.
You're not wrong re: people taking advantage of but the original rule was that accidental reposts would not get punished when it was, in fact, tuesday.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This isn't one of those 'and the parents just dumped it on the kid for free babysitting' situations
Yes, it is.

quote:

everyone is kinda doing the best they can
No, they're not.

It's definitely a lot to ask of a 14yo, but it's not a situation where the parents are trying to force one kid into the care of the other in order to evade parental responsibility.
Yes, it is. You can't think of any other conceivable approach besides one older child being the designated night nurse?

But hey, who cares? It's not like teenagers have expectations or responsibilities that are impacted by being woken up in the middle of the night every night for seven months.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nebrilos posted:

Could someone repost the "I was basically mind-controlled into an affair because he complimented me" story?

Hughlander posted:

This one had a link to another one of my favorites...

AITA for sending my family an angry email because they still speak to my ex-husband and even have him over, especially in light of his present “relationship” with a girl 20 years younger than him?

quote:

So basic background is I’m 42, two kids age 14 and 12 and signed divorce papers in April after almost 2 years of it being drug out trying to get my fair share from him. The details of “why” are not important but I’m angry, embarrassed, lost and sad any given moment of the day. A lot of this has to do with feeling like I’ve been “replaced” by a 23 year old surfing instructor who is everything I’m not. My husband and kids claims that she is just his friend and helping him learn his life long desire to surf but Jesus Christ...give me a break.

My husband has primary custody because he had better lawyers who were able to manipulate some minor missteps on my part into the court seeing them as a huge deal. So this past weekend I picked up the kids and said we were going to visit my parents. They said they would rather use thier season passes to sea world since they spent all weekend with my parents and Aunt Stacey and Uncle Brian (my brother and sister who I didn’t even know were in town). I was like your dad took you? They said yes that my parents had invited him over to see everyone. I was devastated because while I don’t get along with my brother and sister (and my mom) they let my ex-husband know they were coming and not me. I can’t even let that sink in without tears forming. I sort of jested that “oh and let me guess Ms Surf Instructor was there too?” My daughter said “well actually we all went to her house in ocean beach because she gave Stacey and Brian lessons after ours.” That included my mom and dad. I was so devastated I took the kids back home and just went home and cried for an hour.

When I was done I sent a furious email to my entire family how inappropriate they all had been and then not only hanging out with my ex for an entire weekend, but his little chippy as well is a massive slap in the face and the fact they didn’t even tell they were in town let alone invite me makes me feel so alone.

My mom was the only one to respond and she basically said “yes it was rude we didn’t tell you Stacey and Brian were here and we shouldn’t have done that. But we didn’t divorce Bradley, and we still see him as a son. This email along with your behavior over the last 5 years should really give you insight into why we might not want you at family events.”

In so many words she called me rear end in a top hat for sending the email, was I?

Edit : to the people installing their own narrative on my post, yta. Just read what I wrote in the OP for your decision, ok?

Info - why don’t you and your family get along?

OP

quote:

Very condensed version I was seduced and basically mind controlled (like I said very condensed version) into a having an affair with a supplier at my company

Why couldn't you say no?

OP

quote:

Ask any victim of #metoo why they couldn’t say no

OP

quote:

My husband told me flat of he was not attracted to me since I was fat. The supplier said everything I wanted/needed to hear to feel like a person again and manipulated me into the affair

Being told you're pretty and cheating on your husband is exactly what the #metoo movement is all about! That's why your entire family is siding with your husband and his hot new surf instructor girlfriend!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're not wrong re: people taking advantage of but the original rule was that accidental reposts would not get punished when it was, in fact, tuesday.

Considering I'm the one that created it I can tell you that you are incorrect.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Considering that is how you and/or teen witch while she was an ik enforced it, either you go back and retroactively sixer a whole bunch of people or admit you are altering the deal

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Considering I'm the one that created it I can tell you that you are incorrect.

What was the original rule?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Considering that is how you and/or teen witch while she was an ik enforced it, either you go back and retroactively sixer a whole bunch of people or admit you are altering the deal

The whole reason it's Tuesday is because one day there were three stories reposted within a few hours and I asked "What's with all the reposts? You people have me thinking it's last Tuesday" and it became a running joke. Then I decided to start giving sixers to anyone that reposts stories with a song about Tuesday as the probe reason. Other people started assuming that Tuesday was the only day that couldn't happen. I just never corrected them because I found it funny.

And what deal? Who signed what in order for this to become a thing?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA if I asked my sister not to wear earings to my wedding?

quote:

I 21(f) am going to get married to my husband to be. My sistera arw going to be bridsemaids for my special day. Now here where the issue lies my sister has her ears pierced twice on the bottom of each ear. I however have never got my ears pierced and I am too scared to. Its just her taking them out for one day as I don't want the spotlight to go on her om my day. I want to have the most accessories as I should as the bride. So would I be the ashore if I asked her not to wear them?

How ... How boring is your wedding going to be if earrings are going to take the spotlight off of you?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, it is. You can't think of any other conceivable approach besides one older child being the designated night nurse?

The 'night nursing' is a side effect of the child having some sort of trauma where they won't leave their bedroom, because of some sort of abuse. Possibly even a sexual abuse situation.

The parents do need to figure out a solution for this, absolutely; it's affecting their family. It seems like they're hoping that getting the kid their own room will resolve it. Or possibly not realizing how bad it is because they have their kid helping, and it'll only become fully clear what the issue is to them once the rooms are split.

But they legally can't house the child in any other room for now without risking loss of the kid into the system. There's no easy solution to this one but it's pretty callous to insist this is somehow just being neglectful when they're literally building a new room for the kid to resolve it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not attending my sister’s wedding?

quote:

My sister (30F) and I (28F) have always had a complicated relationship. She's regarded me as the 'golden child' because I've generally stayed out of trouble, leading our parents to use me as an example for our other siblings. I consistently excelled in school and have now earned a PhD, which may have triggered some envy on her part (or so I assume), as she decided to change her career path to mine and claims she has now started pursuing a PhD herself (which she isn't). This is just one example of how our lives have been ; it’s constant competition, so I usually don’t even share details about my life.

A bit of background: her wedding was canceled a year ago, as her fiancé decided to break the engagement just three weeks before the scheduled ceremony. Despite our differences, I supported her during that difficult time, and she expressed gratitude, acknowledging that she hadn't been a great sister in the past, especially during my abusive relationship.

Fast forward to today, I've been happily engaged for almost a year and am set to marry in 3 months in my home country. Strangely, my sister, who was supposed to be one of my bridesmaids, hasn't replied to any of my texts nor has she reached out to ask how she can assist, while my other sister and friends have been extremely supportive. Then, just a week ago, my sister announced to the entire family that she's getting married in two weeks to a guy she has known for 6 months and is three months pregnant, making it impossible for her to be a bridesmaid at my wedding. This revelation came as a shock due to the rapid developments. I also cant help but feel like she wanted to get married first and couldn’t stand me getting married before her.

I offered my congratulations, and she inquired if I would attend her wedding. I explained that she'd given me only 13 days' notice to travel 8 hours by flight, and I had numerous work deadlines to contend with, making it impossible for me to attend unless I were to stay for just two days.

My fiancé believes I made the right decision, but my sister and some of her friends have portrayed me as bitter for not attending. AITH for not attending??

Update: my other sister doesn’t think I’m bitter. My whole family thinks this whole thing is a bit crazy, and they understand that I have a more demanding job that them, and I can’t just leave or get time off that quick. Only my older sister (the one getting married) and some of her friends think I’m being bitter. I am now getting text messages from her friends asking why I’m not coming (it’s 16 hours flight round trip, and they make it seem like it’s a one hour drive). I have made the decision not to go, so I’m here asking if that makes me an AH. If some people think that I am TAH I’m just going to brace myself for what might happen during my wedding.

Edit: I understand why some people are upset, thinking I'm accusing my sister of trying to upstage me, when perhaps she's rushing to get married because she's pregnant. However, she explicitly told me they were trying for a baby. It was a planned pregnancy, not an accident. It's puzzling to me why someone would intentionally become pregnant knowing they wanted to marry first. It seems like it might be a strategy for a quicker wedding. I believe my family would have requested she wait until after my wedding if she weren't pregnant. Additionally, she's planning a gender reveal the day after our wedding. I realize it may sound odd to think this way, and perhaps being in this type of relationship has made me more cynical and narcissistic, as some have suggested. But I struggle to see it that way, as I have never, ever tried to outshine her.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Amazing that the sacred oaths sworn by the posters at the signing of the r/r charter are being disrespected in this way.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i admit that i wasn't up to date on my tuesday lore. shameful, really

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The 'night nursing' is a side effect of the child having some sort of trauma where they won't leave their bedroom, because of some sort of abuse. Possibly even a sexual abuse situation.

The parents do need to figure out a solution for this, absolutely; it's affecting their family. It seems like they're hoping that getting the kid their own room will resolve it. Or possibly not realizing how bad it is because they have their kid helping, and it'll only become fully clear what the issue is to them once the rooms are split.

But they legally can't house the child in any other room for now without risking loss of the kid into the system. There's no easy solution to this one but it's pretty callous to insist this is somehow just being neglectful when they're literally building a new room for the kid to resolve it.

I mean there are some solutions that would help the 14-year-old and 10 year old both. You could have the mom sleep with the 10-year-old in that room and let the 14-year-old sleep elsewhere. You could have the mom and the 10-year-old sleep on an air mattress somewhere so the 14-year-old can keep her room. The 14-year-old should not be responsible for her 10-year-old cousin, or be her night Mom, and she certainly doesn't deserve to be grounded for refusing to be parent-fied in that way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The daughter asked to stay with friends until this is resolved and her parents said no. The two older kids refuse to sleep with the 10 year old and the parents are okay with that. And CPS won't let them sleep with an adult. I can't blame the 14 year old for feeling like they're getting screwed over her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

No poo poo, Sherlock. How's that the 14 year old's problem?

quote:

I'm sorry, is there some kind of law that the mother, the father, the other daughter, or the other son can't sleep in the same room with the cousin? Are they all registered sex offenders who obtained some kind of exemption as long as the 14 year old daughter is with the 10 year old at all times? Why does the 14 year old absolutely, legally have to be the designated night nurse every day for months? Why is parentifying the 14 year old the only conceivable option?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock. How's that the 14 year old's problem?

I'm sorry, is there some kind of law that the mother, the father, the other daughter, or the other son can't sleep in the same room with the cousin? Are they all registered sex offenders who obtained some kind of exemption as long as the 14 year old daughter is with the 10 year old at all times? Why does the 14 year old absolutely, legally have to be the designated night nurse every day for months? Why is parentifying the 14 year old the only conceivable option?

CPS won't let her share a room with an adult for reasons that her parents won't explain, probably related to child abuse. And apparently her previous foster home would lock her in her room at night, which is why she has these issues.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plus the new bedroom has been under construction for around 8 months at this point. She says it needs 1 wall added, windows and some power outlets. She also says it's going so slowly because they need permits for everything.

If it were me, I'd want to see an actual timeline for when this new bedroom is going to be useable. The dad saying "soon" is not good enough. Even an extremely stressful situation can be tolerated if you have a definite date when it will end. Having it just roll on and on is unbearable.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
As repeatedly mentioned by other people, yeah there probably is if CPS is involved since the kid came from foster care.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
permits, my rear end. the only way finishing a room takes that long is if you're not loving doing it. the parents are just pissed off that OP's starting to figure it out, is all

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They live in the Johnson house from Twin Peaks.

Kurieg posted:

CPS won't let her share a room with an adult for reasons that her parents won't explain, probably related to child abuse. And apparently her previous foster home would lock her in her room at night, which is why she has these issues.
That still leaves 3 older children, not 1. If she can't share a room with a man, "14 is closer to 10 than 17" is a nonsense reason to parentify one kid.

The reason the parents don't want to do this is that then 2 or 3 children would be complaining about this situation, and they'd have to figure their poo poo out. Not just building the bedroom, but transitioning her to sleeping by herself, which is also not going to be easy. Easier to just dump this on their least favourite kid and threaten her with punishments when she complains. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she ends up voluntold to sleep in her cousin's room and continue to be her nurse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm trying to finish a kitchen right now and because of so many parts of the project being dependent on other parts and waiting for materials and contractor availability it won't be finished until probably January. I've had new tile sitting my hall in boxes since early October.

Construction and renovations can be a nightmare.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Do all the bedrooms in your house have sinks and ovens in them?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of my friend, and I think he was in his early teens when his mom started fostering babies and toddlers, and at one point he would end up with the new kid for weeks on end. To the point that he was doing the midnight feedings, putting the baby to bed, and on and on. And to this day his mother is surprised he doesn't want to have children.

AITA for throwing out my roommate’s ‘vintage’ cereal collection?

quote:

My roommate, "Jess" (20F), has been collecting "vintage" (old) cereal boxes from the 90's for over a year now.

Now, I'm all for hobbies and collecting niche poo poo, but it's gotten out of hand. We share a room, and she never bothered to buy a shelf or some kind of display case to put them on, so they are just piling up on our desk.

The final straw was when I found maggots on and around the desk, courtesy of our makeshift cereal museum. I'm guessing this is because of the crumbs left in the bag after the cereal is "gone" and the sheer volume of boxes.

So, in a moment rage, I bagged up all the opened boxes and dropped them straight into the dumpster.

When Jess found out she went loving nuclear. She's saying I've destroyed her 'collection' and that some boxes were 'limited edition' and can't be replaced.

I offered to make it up to her but also suggested maybe we save collections to non-perishable items, like dolls or whatever.

All I want to go into our room without worrying about maggots. Is that too hard to ask?

I mean they were probably not maggots, but flour beetle larvae but still they're lucky it wasn't ants.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Do all the bedrooms in your house have sinks and ovens in them?

Bet they have outlets, walls, and cupboards.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean they were probably not maggots, but flour beetle larvae but still they're lucky it wasn't ants.

if only there was a step between doing nothing and yeeting all your roomies gross cereal boxes away, alas, off to the dumpster I go

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That feels like a bizarre midpoint between keeping either completely empty boxes or sealed unopened boxes. I don't know how you could actually care enough to collect them if you're just dumping them on a desk full of cereal crumbs.

Actually it gets weirder the more I think about it, where on earth is she getting so many 30 year old cereal boxes full of leftover crumbs in the first place? :tinfoil:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

It reminds me of my friend, and I think he was in his early teens when his mom started fostering babies and toddlers, and at one point he would end up with the new kid for weeks on end. To the point that he was doing the midnight feedings, putting the baby to bed, and on and on. And to this day his mother is surprised he doesn't want to have children.

I feel like this isn't the first story we've had about vintage cereal box collectors and it's very weird to me that this is even a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
What type of flowers should I 30M get for my wife 29F who doesn't like flowers?

quote:

Hey everyone going to keep these short sweet and to the point. My wife and I had a fight the other night and toward the end of the fight she brought up how she feels less loved than my past partners because I don't buy her flowers and chocolate and jewelry and cards and poo poo every week like I would for them. We've been married for 5 years dating for 8 and have known each other for 12. She's always been a bit of a Tomboy and told me how she wasn't big on flowers and everything not to mention every time I have bought her some in the past her cats would knock them down and break the vase. Also to add to this it's not like I just don't buy her anything I buy her video games, books, we eat out all the time, I bought her a controller recently, ill always come home with a snack or a drink for her. etc. So I spend just as much on her as anyone else as buying gifts is my love language just different interests. Anyway the day after the fight during my lunch break, I bought her a simple bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates, and a card in the card I wrote "I love you and would give you the world all you need to do is ask." left them on the counter to surprise her when she got home from her internship. However, she didn't seem as excited or happy as I had anticipated, and only being roses seems a bit cliché, and lacks creativity and inspiration. I've asked her what her favorite flowers are and she just says "I like them all". So what are some gorgeous flower options that are for partners and not condolences?

To clarify yes I will be buying her flowers and more romantic things weekly that much was not lost on me. Also, it's not entirely lost on me that a gift the day after a fight won't hold the same weight as something spontaneous, but a "meh they're alright." reaction doesn't really hit the mark on any day. My primary question is what variety: given that we have 2 cats and 2 dogs, (we can all agree roses are cliché and unoriginal especially if repeated) and she doesn't have a favorite flower. What are some beautiful options that aren't intended for a funeral? The alternative ideas are also awesome and thanks. For the few of you saying that I'm missing the point, I'm insensitive, or trying to poke holes into my question with semantics please learn to read between the lines and about implications.

TLDR: My wife is insecure about my past relationships and wants flowers but has never cared for flowers what do I buy?

My girlfriend (F/31) owns a home and I (M/33) am considering moving in with her. How do we make an equitable rent-to-own arrangement?

quote:

TLDR if I move in with my girlfriend and split rental costs, she would be my landlord and I would not be receiving any equity in the home. Is there anyway to make this more equitable or "fair"?

My girlfriend and I have been dating for about six months. We're both in our mid-30s, have met one another's families (got along very well), and are serious about settling down and building a relationship towards marriage. We don't have a timeline for key events like get engaged by X time or married/kids by X time but we have spoken about a desire to build a future together. My lease is up in summer and we both have confidence that we'll be together by that time. Therefore, we feel like it would be a good opportunity for us to transition into living together (by that time we'll be dating for over a year). (Side note: as things are we are basically living together anyway. Live about 10 minute walk from one another and see each other / sleepover every other day. We often spend 3 days or full weeks after work travel staying with one another. So there are no concerns with actually moving in with one another in terms of living styles/habits).

I am trying to figure out how best we can equitably move forward with a living arrangement. Before I request your help in answering this question, let me provide some context.

Her family is pretty wealthy. Her father has built a successful career and has been able to afford many luxuries in life. Because of financial support from her father in assisting with the down payment, she was able to purchase a nice 3 bedroom apartment that costs around $500,000 and has no student loan debt. She pays the mortgage on her own without financial support from her father. I on the other hand have had to pay my way through college and law school. I have about $80,000 in schooling debt. I do not have a mortgage/own a home. I highlight this because I want to acknowledge that we come from different backgrounds and have different financial footings.

A bit of a tangent, but I think important to include: I am a proponent of prenups (we’re both attorneys) despite how “taboo” they seem or how many people view it as hedging a bet. I have seen too many divorces in which attorneys pry for all they can get in order to get themselves a bigger percentage pay out without care for the wife/husband as they are separating. Prenups cut that out.

In our situation the prenup would basically outline that her 3-bedroom apartment is hers and I have no right to it. It would also outline that any inheritance she receives or that I receive remains our own separately. Again, I have seen so many people who upon divorce try to take petty things like the diamond ring inherited by grandma that the other spouse has no right to, but simply wants to take it out of spite because they know it'll hurt the other person. That is disgusting to me and outlining a prenup I think solidifies both of your desires in a moment where you're both thinking in clarity and with mutual respect. So in short, I don't want anything that is "hers" and respect her independent wealth and similarly would want mine respected too. Its a good faith insurance policy of sorts.

Back to the equitable rent scenario. If we were to live together, we could split the rent of her mortgage 50/50, we could find some equitable rental arrangement, or we could try to find a place we could both live in while she rents out that apartment. The last scenario may be hard to do, because we have 3 big dogs. Most city apartments allow a max of 2 dogs, her 3-bedroom would allow us to have 3 dogs. This makes her place preferred, although we could likely find a home that lets us rent with 3 dogs.

She makes more than me, but not an absurd amount more. I make $90K she makes $120K (we're both in non-profits as attorneys). The thing that is a bit of a hitch to me is that when I pay rent, my landlord would effectively be my girlfriend. That feels inequitable.

If we lived together in her apartment for 5 years I will have paid nearly $80,000 into a home that I hold no equity in. She countered that this would be the case if I were renting from some other individual or rental company. That is fair but negates that the money is going to my partner and not some third party. Conversely, if I split the mortgage in any fashion and rented her apartment, I would also be receiving the benefit of paying below market rent ($1,300 vs. $2,400 for a 1 bedroom in the city we live in). So it would be unfair to say that I don't receive "any benefit." I do receive the benefit of being able to save more compared to if we weren't living together. The counter to this of course, would be if we rented from a third party, the saving for me would be the same without the issue of her gaining more home equity through my rental payments. Again, I'm try to be as fair as possible and think of every angle that equity could consider.

Anyway, this perceived inequity is bothersome to me. From a philosophical perspective, and from a practical perspective, it is a literal "the rich getting richer" scenario.

Extending this scenario forward if she sold her 3-bedroom, for both of us to live in a home together, she would have an outsized percentage interest in the home we bought. So lets say after 5 years, she sells her 3-bedroom, and has 50% equity in her home, she'd have $250,000 to contribute to a mutual home including whatever money I paid over time into her home via rent. So it kind of feels like the $80K I could've contributed to a home down payment, I don't really get "contributory credit" for because in reality that $80K is hers albeit from my direct rental payments. So in short, it feels “icky” to me that I could theoretically be dumping money into something that isn’t and may never be mine but is entirely owned by my spouse (not a third party like a rental management company).

I love her and want to make the best decision for our relationship. I’m wondering if any couples have come across this situation before and how it was handled?

Of note, she doesn't want to sell the 3-bedroom as she feels it is a good investment property down the road. I agree with that and do think it is in her best interest to keep it long-term.

Here are some scenarios I thought out that may alleviate the equity issue. But I wonder if other people have handled this similarly to something below OR in another manner? Some alternative solutions could include:

Most obvious, just live in a different neutral place and rent out her 3-bedroom apartment for enough or more than the cost of the mortgage to other people. This way her mortgage is covered and her and I could afford to live elsewhere.
Remortgaging the home with both our names AFTER marriage (if she was interested) and providing an equitable stake in the home of the money I put in at the time. So if in 3 years, we married, decided to remortgage the apartment I would be given the share that I put in through rent up to that point. Funny catch with this, she has an absurdly low interest rate (2%) compared to today's interest rates (average 7.5%). This wouldn't be financially sensible for her, and in fairness to her, I don't think advisable.

If the 3-bedroom was sold for the purchase of a mutual home, consider the rent I contributed as a portion of my contribution to the mutual home (thus avoiding re-mortgaging). Again, I don't think she wants to sell the 3-bedroom, but if she wanted to, it could be raised as an option.

Simply pay equitable rent based on income and accept that we both gain something (her a cheaper mortgage and me below average rent) which does allow me to save and contribute to a down payment for a mutual home for us down the road and simply "let go" of the equity issue as a means of compromise. A "you can't always get what you want" approach.

As you probably already can tell, I think about a lot of stuff. So if I felt this was the best choice, I could feel it as a fair compromise.

Special note: I think in a very logical manner. I’m not interested in commentary that flags this. I’m also not interested in commentary that discusses me getting “way” ahead of myself. I think I have a good thing going with my girlfriend. We're both adults in our 30s and interested in marriage. We feel like we're on that path, so as an eternal optimist and believing in ourselves I want to plan for a future together. I am requesting comments/feedback focused on the question at hand rather than how logically I’m approaching this or how people may perceive me to be “ahead of myself.”

I’m seeking feedback to the question: is there anyway to make this more equitable/fair or is there alternative solutions that we can pursue?

All Bolding OPs, I just left off the bullet point list because I’m on mobile and gently caress that.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2023