Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BobHoward posted:

Most of the RAM bandwidth is there to feed the GPU. For example the M3 Max options are 14c CPU + 30c GPU or 16c CPU + 40c GPU. 300 GB/s to feed a 30c GPU is the same bandwidth per GPU core as 400 GB/s for a 40c GPU.

Basically they seem to be sizing memory bus width to more closely match the demands of each SoC variant this time around instead of just letting lower models have a lot of excess bandwidth. Saves Apple money while hopefully not costing you much (if any) performance.

The narrower memory buses save more than money, they save power. Memory buses are super power hungry, which is why almost every phone only has a 32-bit bus, which we'd think of as half a channel in laptop-land.

Between the narrower bus, fewer P cores and more E cores the M3 Pro has better battery life than it's predecessor. That matters for a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That is exactly why I bit on the M3 Pro model specifically - I'm sick of having like 4 hours of battery life just doing basic poo poo on a computer. Felt like the 18GB model was the best compromise for being able to do some powerful stuff on occasion but having plenty of time and battery power for web putzing and stuff.

No idea what the actual battery life is like on it yet as I haven't really settled into "daily use" in 5-6 hours of owning it though :v:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 13, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

post Costco deals when they happen

Just rules for life right there

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

That is exactly why I bit on the M3 Pro model specifically - I'm sick of having like 4 hours of battery life just doing basic poo poo on a computer. Felt like the 18GB model was the best compromise for being able to do some powerful stuff on occasion but having plenty of time and battery power for web putzing and stuff.

No idea what the actual battery life is like on it yet as I haven't really settled into "daily use" in 5-6 hours of owning it though :v:

You should get between 14 - 20 depending on usage.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm going to try a full work day without plugging it in (I don't have any officially work provided hardware :ssh:) Started at 86%, down 5% in a half hour. Pretty good trend already - at least compared to my previous laptop

Now obviously the dinky little plastic cases are a trap and probably don't offer much for actual protection - I'm getting a dbrand skin for outer shell scratch protection - but is there any benefit to a screen protector on these machines or is that also a stupid purchase?

Do I just need to have my Apple Microfiber™ nearby to clean the screen from my grubby fingerprints as I open and close it?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 13, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm going to try a full work day without plugging it in (I don't have any officially work provided hardware :ssh:) Started at 86%, down 5% in a half hour. Pretty good trend already - at least compared to my previous laptop

Now obviously the dinky little plastic cases are a trap and probably don't offer much for actual protection - I'm getting a dbrand skin for outer shell scratch protection - but is there any benefit to a screen protector on these machines or is that also a stupid purchase?

Do I just need to have my Apple Microfiber™ nearby to clean the screen from my grubby fingerprints as I open and close it?

no, I wouldn't even get the dbrand skin

I don't understand the fear of scratch protection on anodized aluminum, unless you're like regularly sliding your keys over the top of your computer. The much bigger danger is denting and breaking from a drop, or liquid damage from a spill, and a skin isn't going to protect you from either of those

just get a good case/backpack/etc with a padded soft pocket and/or a padded sleeve for transport. Leave it in a case or on your desk/tabletop when you aren't using it. Probably don't leave it on a sofa or chair if you have kids or live with roommates. My MBP is literally turning 11 and it looks excellent. I don't think I'm like super careful or anything like that, but I avoid leaving it in dangerous spots or putting it somewhere where it could get dropped on the floor.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 13, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Fair enough.

I'm still doing the skin though because I have one on my gaming laptop and I think it looks neat. :colbert:

Probably just the lid, at least. The Blackbook keyboard is really space-age looking, and it is fairly fingerprint resistant in my (limited) experience. What fingerprints do show up wipe off with any cloth.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 13, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A screen protector for a display that isn't a touchscreen and shouldn't be getting exposed to contact with other objects during normal use seems extra silly, also they can break your screen because the gap between the display glass and the topcase is extremely tight. Apple themselves advise against screen protectors for macbooks and also against keyboard cloths or anything else of that sort

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon had a Magic Mouse for $55 so i bought it.

If it’s poo poo I’ll just return it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

A screen protector for a display that isn't a touchscreen and shouldn't be getting exposed to contact with other objects during normal use seems extra silly. Also they can break your screen because the gap between the display glass and the top case is extremely tight. Apple themselves advise against screen protectors for Macbooks and also against keyboard cloths or anything else of that sort

The exception IMHO, is If you have a butterfly keyboard that still works properly, get a keyboard membrane before a dust particle gets under a keycap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sanity check before I jump in: I'm looking at the entry-level 16" MBP (2023 M3 Pro). I think the 18GB unified memory would be sufficient for me as this will be a productivity laptop (nothing too stressful) while I'm on the go. I already have a powerful windows laptop, but I have one macOS program I need to run, and occasionally that would be while I'm not at my office. I will likely also upgrade to the 1TB as my dropbox size is almost 300GB and I would prefer to not have to pick/choose what files I want available offline.

My main concern is productivity (hence the bigger screen size) and battery life, which is abysmal on my windows laptop. $2700 is on the steep side but I guess it will last me a good long time. I looked up measurements and it should fit in my backpack as well, so I think that was the final hurdle.

I have also considered the 15" Air with added 16GB/1TB for $1900. This would probably also be more than sufficient. Thoughts between the two? I assume the screen is nicer on the MBP and the M3 chip is probably marginally better (for what I'd be using it for), and there is slightly more unified memory.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

MarcusSA posted:

Amazon had a Magic Mouse for $55 so i bought it.

If it’s poo poo I’ll just return it.

I’ve been happy with my Logitech master X. The spinny scroll wheel makes my adhd brain smile

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

You'll be fine on all counts. Fingerprints are visible if the sun is directly behind you and elements on your screen are dark, but it's fine otherwise. I use my laptop all day at work and only plug it in when I'm home and it's docked by my PC. I only ever unplug the charger from my desktop setup when I'm going away for a few days or more. The battery on these things is by far the best thing about them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FlapYoJacks posted:

The exception IMHO, is If you have a butterfly keyboard that still works properly, get a keyboard membrane before a dust particle gets under a keycap.

This is a reasonable idea but after a year or three there will be noticeable differences on the screen in the pattern of the keyboard that if you leave it on when closing. If you do add/remove it, you have to worry about the membrane importing dust and trapping it in as much as the opposite.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Sanity check before I jump in: I'm looking at the entry-level 16" MBP (2023 M3 Pro). I think the 18GB unified memory would be sufficient for me as this will be a productivity laptop (nothing too stressful) while I'm on the go. I already have a powerful windows laptop, but I have one macOS program I need to run, and occasionally that would be while I'm not at my office. I will likely also upgrade to the 1TB as my dropbox size is almost 300GB and I would prefer to not have to pick/choose what files I want available offline.

My main concern is productivity (hence the bigger screen size) and battery life, which is abysmal on my windows laptop. $2700 is on the steep side but I guess it will last me a good long time. I looked up measurements and it should fit in my backpack as well, so I think that was the final hurdle.

I have also considered the 15" Air with added 16GB/1TB for $1900. This would probably also be more than sufficient. Thoughts between the two? I assume the screen is nicer on the MBP and the M3 chip is probably marginally better (for what I'd be using it for), and there is slightly more unified memory.

How many external displays do you plan to run? If it’s only ever 1 or 0 then M3 should be plenty unless you need some grunt (can you tell us what MacOS program it is?), but if you want to ever run two displays you’ll need M3 Pro or better (each tier up the ladder can run more displays, because of how display outputs are allocated).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

How many external displays do you plan to run? If it’s only ever 1 or 0 then M3 should be plenty unless you need some grunt (can you tell us what MacOS program it is?), but if you want to ever run two displays you’ll need M3 Pro or better (each tier up the ladder can run more displays, because of how display outputs are allocated).

0 to 1, most likely. I already have a windows PC that is my main machine with 3 monitors so I'm really only using the mac (I have a m2 mini right now) for vellum (book formatting). I should have just bought a mac laptop from the getgo. Oh well. More stuff.

Vellum is not particularly stressing in any way, but if I'm working off the laptop away from home I'd be doing email/project managment/browsers with lot's of tabs/light filemaker development/some remote support, etc. I've accomplished this type of stuff on a pretty low-end laptop before so I'd imagine either the air or M3 would be fine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Grumbles posted:

You'll be fine on all counts. Fingerprints are visible if the sun is directly behind you and elements on your screen are dark, but it's fine otherwise. I use my laptop all day at work and only plug it in when I'm home and it's docked by my PC. I only ever unplug the charger from my desktop setup when I'm going away for a few days or more. The battery on these things is by far the best thing about them.

I was being mostly facetious about the fingerprints, hence the reference to the Apple Microfiber :v:

But really I am impressed with this computer on all counts. I have an iPhone so I obviously have been in the ecosystem a little bit but I didn't realize just how nice the iCloud based integrations are. Not to even mention the quality of everything; what's impressing me currently is the speakers as I can finally just use the Apple Music app instead of Cider on my computer (which is good, don't get me wrong, but the native Apple Music.app is just better).

Already have it set up for all of my hobbies and work stuff, the installation of everything was a breeze of course because these processors are great and fortunately everything I use is already Apple Silicon capable (Affinity suite, JetBrains, Blender+3D printing slicers, etc.)

It's a good computer, to say the least

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

0 to 1, most likely. I already have a windows PC that is my main machine with 3 monitors so I'm really only using the mac (I have a m2 mini right now) for vellum (book formatting). I should have just bought a mac laptop from the getgo. Oh well. More stuff.

Vellum is not particularly stressing in any way, but if I'm working off the laptop away from home I'd be doing email/project managment/browsers with lot's of tabs/light filemaker development/some remote support, etc. I've accomplished this type of stuff on a pretty low-end laptop before so I'd imagine either the air or M3 would be fine.

Could you possibly make do with 14”? I honestly think the new base model M3 MacBook Pro might better split the difference for you. It’s got a smaller display than either the 15” Air or the 16” Pro and it has the M3 chip of the MacBook Air but it adds HDMI, Magsafe, and an SDXC slot that the 15” Air all lack, which I think are pretty useful and come in pretty clutch for a productivity and “business” machine. There’s also the M3 Pro chip version that matches the 16” for spec, has four USB/thunderbolt ports in addition to the aforementioned HDMI/SDXC/Magsafe instead of two, but comes in a fair bit less expensive, closer to $2000-2300.

I know, I used to really hate the older 13” Touchbar M1/M2 MacBook Pro, but this new 14” one that adds most of the exterior benefits is pretty great for a lot of otherwise-MacBook Air owners

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Could you possibly make do with 14”? I honestly think the new base model M3 MacBook Pro might better split the difference for you. It’s got a smaller display than either the 15” Air or the 16” Pro and it has the M3 chip of the MacBook Air but it adds HDMI, Magsafe, and an SDXC slot that the 15” Air all lack, which I think are pretty useful and come in pretty clutch for a productivity and “business” machine. There’s also the M3 Pro chip version that matches the 16” for spec, has four USB/thunderbolt ports in addition to the aforementioned HDMI/SDXC/Magsafe instead of two, but comes in a fair bit less expensive, closer to $2000-2300.

I know, I used to really hate the older 13” Touchbar M1/M2 MacBook Pro, but this new 14” one that adds most of the exterior benefits is pretty great for a lot of otherwise-MacBook Air owners

I considered the 14" pro. I'm sure it would be fine, but would I kick myself later for not spending an extra ~$300 for more physical space/size if everything else is more or less the same? At that point the price is almost negligible.

I'm not a big person, but if I'm thinking of "I'm traveling and I may need to get actual work done," will I wish I had a slightly larger footprint/screen resolution? I guess this is a completely subjective question that I could only answer myself, maybe.

Unfortunately, I don't live near an apple store, otherwise I'd just go check one out.

e: Also, since I haven't said it yet and I'm rude, thank you for your thoughts.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 13, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

I considered the 14" pro. I'm sure it would be fine, but would I kick myself later for not spending an extra ~$300 for more physical space/size if everything else is more or less the same? At that point the price is almost negligible.

I'm not a big person, but if I'm thinking of "I'm traveling and I may need to get actual work done," will I wish I had a slightly larger footprint/screen resolution? I guess this is a completely subjective question that I could only answer myself, maybe.

Unfortunately, I don't live near an apple store, otherwise I'd just go check one out.

do you have a Best Buy nearby? What about a Costco? Even if they don’t have the M3 models ready, you’ll be able to handle their physical doppelgängers with M2.

Also worth pointing out that the M3 and M3 Pro available in the 14/16” MBP are a generation newer than the M2 currently available in the Air. Not a huge deal but if you’re spending similar money, and you value longevity, it might be worth springing for the model that’s currently a generation newer.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Everywhere I go online people absolutely adore the 14" and seem to recommend it most frequently as the ideal laptop. I just wanted to add a contrasting perspective. I've had an 16" M1 Max for the last couple of years and I absolutely adore this thing. The extra screen real estate is really nice for whatever you're doing, especially while traveling. I spent about a year and a half traveling nonstop internationally and had zero times where I wished I had a smaller laptop or felt like it was too heavy, bulky etc. I'm also not a big guy.

My wife has an M2 air and I get the appeal. It's tiny and nimble and weightless, and she loves it for all those reasons.

I'm just saying that, if in your heart you really want that bigger screen, like I did, chances are you won't find it cumbersome.

If you do regret it, with the holiday return policy in effect, as long as you order online directly from Apple, any items received between November 3rd and December 25th, you have up until January 8th to return.

As for which processor and how much ram to get, unless you're doing a lot of local ML inference, running a bunch of VMs, or gaming, then just the lowest end 16" with 18 gigs of ram will be more than enough to keep your experience on the OS buttery smooth for years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve dailied a 15” 2013 Pro, which is arguably bigger than the current 16” model, for a decade and it’s never felt cumbersome or unreasonably big, but also I’m probably gonna switch to 14” for my soon-to-be new computer. Before the 15” I dailied a black Polycarb MacBook and then a 13” 2011 Air and I just love the sleekness of that form factor/general size.

Also, it sounds dumb, but Space Black 14” feels like the perfect synthesis of my favorite Macs from the past. I’ve been talking about the idea of a Son-of-BlackBook here for a fair bit now, but the 2013 is long enough in the tooth and Space Black is compelling enough of a finish to push me toward a buy soon.

You really can’t go wrong either way, but it’s probably worth seeing them in person if you can.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Ok Comboomer posted:

\ it has the M3 chip of the MacBook Air

Wait, what? Is the M2 chip the same chip they're calling the M3 or is this just a typo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BUUNNI posted:

Wait, what? Is the M2 chip the same chip they're calling the M3 or is this just a typo?

It was a brain fart. The MacBook Air will get the M3 in early 2024 most likely.

This time around the MacBook Pro got updated before the MacBook Air did, and they switched the base MBP to update with the others rather than what was previously done, where the M1/M2 13” model with the touchbar got updated alongside the Air and Mac Mini.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FlapYoJacks posted:

Great news, the butterfly machines were designed when Apple's thinness maximalism was at its heights. MBPs and MBAs from that era are the most vulnerable to screen protectors, camera covers, and so forth putting too much pressure on the display glass.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How are the M series iPads on battery life? Stupidly long like their laptop cousins? We have one of the last Intel iPad Airs and it drains a considerable amount of power doing dick all. I’m debating trading it in for something I have to spend less mental overhead on keeping charged.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not to be that guy but the iPads are still Apple silicon, the A series chips are just worse in some regards than the M series chips especially for power users

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Warbird posted:

How are the M series iPads on battery life? Stupidly long like their laptop cousins? We have one of the last Intel iPad Airs and it drains a considerable amount of power doing dick all. I’m debating trading it in for something I have to spend less mental overhead on keeping charged.

What's an Intel iPad Air? What year do you mean? Check its battery health with Coconut Battery, which is a Mac app.

Edit: I shouldn't have been passive aggressive. iPads have never used Intel processors, they've always been the iPhone processors.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There are no intel iPads? The M series is just a scaled up A series, so you're not likely to see the kind of battery life revelation the Macs Book got, but newer iPads still have slightly bigger batteries and more efficient chips than the older so your odds are still good if you want to trade up on that account.

e: unless yours is like a 2020 model or something. i was thinking the ones before they went all flat edged

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmfao @ Intel iPad.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Your premise is wrong, so take this advice

1. iPads can be turned off to stop phantom drain
1.b. the screen is the biggest power draw otherwise

2. you have high misunderstanding of the basic facts you’re trying to make a hundreds of dollars decision on.

3. you are not in the iPad thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Mac Hardware: the last of the Intel iPad Airs

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mac Hardware: the last of the Intel iPad Airs

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have a 2 year old and a month old. I am very tired.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 14, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Warbird posted:

I have a 2 year old and a month old. I am very tired. Do the M ones do gooder on battery than the ones what not with the M chip?

not really i don’t think. they’re all still apple silicon arm-based chips. you just have an older ipad with an aging battery. you can pay apple to replace your battery and also get a new ipad or you can get a new ipad and just leave the other one plugged in more often than not

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll eyeball that coconut app and see what’s what before we start thinking battery replacement. It’s new enough that I don’t think that’s the root cause but eh. I’ll take it to the iPad thread.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I officially already knocked my BlackBook Pro onto the floor. I guess I smacked it off the edge of the couch with my large posterior while I stood up for all of two seconds

It's completely fine though, not even a mark on the corner, so they're at least resilient things

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I officially already knocked my BlackBook Pro onto the floor. I guess I smacked it off the edge of the couch with my large posterior while I stood up for all of two seconds

It's completely fine though, not even a mark on the corner, so they're at least resilient things

Unibody MacBooks are built like Volvo brick shithouses that you can wield as a weapon in a pinch—but I mean it when I say that the biggest danger you’ll encounter with them is drops and bumps.

I dented the corner of my old MacBook Air’s display dropping it off of my lap at work. Dropping a MacBook onto its hinge is a great way to gently caress up its ability to close properly without some expensive parts replacement

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Warbird posted:

I have a 2 year old and a month old. I am very tired.

As someone with 6-, 3-, and 1-year olds, I promise it gets better. Eventually. Lol. Hopefully you weren’t like me and having them when a bit older though. Now I understand why everyone has kids in their 20s or finished having kids in their early 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We’re both in our mid 30s, well established, and have grandparents living with us helping out for a few more months so it’s going about as good as it could. Still need a bigger drat house but that’s another thread.