Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Given that it’s a criminal case, Disney may not have a choice.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

So long as they give it time. Like 4-5 years at least.

Does this not count

No, and it setup a payoff that never came (jet skiing with his boys (his children or Loki & Brad, you choose))

Maybe he’ll get to jet ski with Deadpool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If you don’t appreciate that Mobius’ unyielding love of watercraft isn’t perfectly reflected as an overzealous landlocked jetski salesman, then you are beyond pleasing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Hollywood Reporter says that Marvel is "taking stock" after the financial failure of The Marvels and planning a significantly reorganized strategy going forward.

- De-prioritization of Disney+ shows and their connection to the movies.

- Only 1 movie release next year (this was already likely the plan due to the strikes, but it is now confirmed that nothing but Deadpool 3 will release next year)

- Deadpool 3 delayed again to July 26th.

- Captain America 4 delayed for 9 months from the original release date to February 14th, 2025.

- Thunderbolts delayed again for another 6 months to July 25, 2025.

- Blade delayed another 9 months to Nov. 7, 2025.

- May pair down theatrical releases to 1 or 2 per year after 2025.

- Feige and his team are doing a thorough review of all the major tentpole releases, will return to Feige directly overseeing all major projects, and will delay them if Feige and his team haven't had time to go over them sufficiently before release.

- Part of this transition and de-emphasis on the continuity of D+ shows means that Feige will be working primarily on films again and Marvel will have official showrunners in charge of most of the story decisions of the shows.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-studios-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 14, 2023

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s probably an impossible question to answer, but how much did the strikes affect the marketing and outreach of the movie? Iman Vellani not being able to get out there and exude joy about the movie probably didn’t help sales.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nybble posted:

It’s probably an impossible question to answer, but how much did the strikes affect the marketing and outreach of the movie? Iman Vellani not being able to get out there and exude joy about the movie probably didn’t help sales.

It's definitely a huge impact. I only ever saw it advertised during NFL games, but that is also the only live TV I watch anymore, a trend that is not uncommon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tom Hiddleston also seemed to confirm the opinion of the Loki director who said there probably won't be a season 3, but they were teasing it before to avoid giving away the ending.

He does say it would be "unwise" to think you'll never see Loki again, though. That sort of implies the theory that he will be in Secret Wars and/or The Kang Dynasty.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rabid Snake posted:

I just finished Loki. I’m so conflicted. Majors played Kang so well, especially HWR. He would’ve made a great villian but from what I read online he’s a huge POS as an actor. The HWR scenes between him and Loki were so good.

If Disney continues the kang arc, I guess I got to separate the art from the artist.

I feel like Majors' main effort in doing different characters was just mixing up the speech impediments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Red posted:

I feel like Majors' main effort in doing different characters was just mixing up the speech impediments.

Nah, HWR has a very distinct body language, syntax, and non-verbal characterization style from Timely. It is genuinely a very good performance.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

And they're both different from the Ant-man Kang. Major's has nailed every appearance in a way that's both distinctive and most importantly, fun.

Sucks but still do hope they recast him instead of abandoning the character. Still attest he's working fine, it's mostly other stuff in Ant-Man that dragged it down.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Feige and his team are doing a thorough review of all the major tentpole releases, will return to Feige directly overseeing all major projects, and will delay them if Feige and his team haven't had time to go over them sufficiently before release.

- Part of this transition and de-emphasis on the continuity of D+ shows means that Feige will be working primarily on films again and Marvel will have official showrunners in charge of most of the story decisions of the shows.

I wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars they must lose before they concede that Feige is part of the problem.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He does say it would be "unwise" to think you'll never see Loki again, though. That sort of implies the theory that he will be in Secret Wars and/or The Kang Dynasty.

Are there any rumours (or heaven forbid something official) about how the Secret Wars will work in the MCU? If it's like the originals, the Beyonder could pull "our" Loki or another Loki for the Wars, it was an actual plot point with von DOOM that Beyonder did a whoopsiedaisie and created a time loop.

Also, can we get Laurence Fishburne to reprise his role as the Beyonder in live action? I kinda want to see him in Elvis cosplay.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd honestly be fine with never seen Thor again though.

I always figured that when it's time to close the door on the MCU, the final movie should be Old King Thor.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Also, can we get Laurence Fishburne to reprise his role as the Beyonder in live action? I kinda want to see him in Elvis cosplay.

I might be forgetting a Beyonder appearance here but are you thinking of Jeffrey Wright? He was the Watcher (easy enough mistake to make) in What If. Laurence Fishburne was in the second Ant Man film but was just a random scientist who was helping out the villain for sympathetic reasons.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

If you don’t appreciate that Mobius’ unyielding love of watercraft isn’t perfectly reflected as an overzealous landlocked jetski salesman, then you are beyond pleasing.

There is quite a lot of water skiing in the Midwest.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Who cares who he’s played already, recast Kang with Larry Fish, imo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There is quite a lot of water skiing in the Midwest.

Yeah, I know they have rivers and part of the state is on a great lake, but there’s still an energy difference in a beleaguered single dad Mobius selling jet-ski’s in nowhere Ohio than one working in, say, Malibu or Miami.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 14, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Soul Glo posted:

Who cares who he’s played already, recast Kang with Larry Fish, imo

No, replace Kang with Bobby Fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9LX54Yaus

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

thebardyspoon posted:

I might be forgetting a Beyonder appearance here but are you thinking of Jeffrey Wright? He was the Watcher (easy enough mistake to make) in What If. Laurence Fishburne was in the second Ant Man film but was just a random scientist who was helping out the villain for sympathetic reasons.

Someone didn't watch Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur!

I'm mildly surprised that no one commented on Loki changing his crown up to be the HWR black marble kintsugi material instead of his traditional gold horns. Thought that was a cool, additional, nod to the changes he's gone through.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CaptainCrunch posted:

Someone didn't watch Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur!

I did not, that's pretty fun. Apologies rappaport for the assumption on my part there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Hollywood Reporter says that Marvel is "taking stock" after the financial failure of The Marvels and planning a significantly reorganized strategy going forward.

- Only 1 movie release next year (this was already likely the plan due to the strikes, but it is now confirmed that nothing but Deadpool 3 will release next year)

- Captain America 4 delayed for 9 months from the original release date to February 14th, 2025.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-studios-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

They're finally figuring out that endlessly rolling out poo poo regardless of quality harms the brand.

Wish they'd figured this out before making Secret Invasion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BoldFace posted:

I wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars they must lose before they concede that Feige is part of the problem.

To be fair, whether you think that is true or not, if you are crafting a business strategy, it is hard to argue against, "We were the most successful movie studio in history for roughly 12 years when Feige was directly overseeing every major project. Once he stopped and turned it over to deputies, we had out first financial bomb and critical failures. Let's get him back to being directly involved in all major projects." by trying to argue that Feige is the reason things stopped working after 15 years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I know they have rivers and part of the state is on a great lake, but there’s still an energy difference in a beleaguered single dad Mobius selling jet-ski’s in nowhere Ohio than one working in, say, Malibu or Miami.

Cleveland is nowhere?

Okay yeah, that checks out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Cleveland is nowhere?

Lol yes

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I did not, that's pretty fun. Apologies rappaport for the assumption on my part there.

No worries, but you should watch MG&DD, it's really great fun, and Fishburne's Beyonder is certainly a take :allears:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

that was a pretty strong finish on Loki S2.
probably the strongest one of the MCU disney+ shows by far.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

its finally over. the comic book era is over.

the videogame era is now here.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I didn't think secret invasion was awful. Certainly it doesn't hold a candle to Loki but it's about par for the rest of the marvel Disney+ shows

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't have that much of a problem with Secret Wars, just that at the end, it became Not-So-Secret Wars and should be a big global impact on the MCU as a whole, but seems like its gonna be ignored.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Not a thing in SI made any god drat sense

Not a single thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

maybeadracula posted:

Not a thing in SI made any god drat sense

Not a single thing

Samuel L. Jackson realizing that loving a shapeshifter who can be your ideal woman and never age made a lot of sense.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They should just say that Secret Invasion took place in a different universe.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There was a gas leak on the S.A.B.E.R. space station and Nick Fury imagined the whole thing

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is the British lady now the superhero gathering counterpart to Elaine from Seinfeld and Nick fury is never seen again?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's no movies set on the main MCU earth until late 2025.

So, they can let that baby simmer for a while before figuring out what to do with it. They could just say in Captain America 4, "We sure had some wild times in the last two years, haven't we? I'm glad Harrison Ford is the President now and we resolved that whole Skrull thing a few months ago."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I think the show's lack of connection to anything is what hurt them. They always felt disconnected and meaningless. Like SI, it has no impact on anything, ever.

I remember when Agents of Shield and Winter Soldier were timed just right for the reveal of Hydra, and it was awesome. I want more of that. Really, I want more Agents of Shield, or at least Quake to be in something else. And ideally Mack, and Fitz and Simmons of course...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I didn't think secret invasion was awful. Certainly it doesn't hold a candle to Loki but it's about par for the rest of the marvel Disney+ shows

Come on it's a hodgepodge of shittily implemented ideas

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CornHolio posted:

I think the show's lack of connection to anything is what hurt them. They always felt disconnected and meaningless. Like SI, it has no impact on anything, ever.

I remember when Agents of Shield and Winter Soldier were timed just right for the reveal of Hydra, and it was awesome. I want more of that. Really, I want more Agents of Shield, or at least Quake to be in something else. And ideally Mack, and Fitz and Simmons of course...

And Deke. I need to see Deke in an eyepatch and pulling the reverso of the comics as a new white Nick Fury. Please let him appear in one movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CornHolio posted:

I think the second point hits on something major that has been lacking since in phase 4/5.

Things like the Hydra reveal, Mysterio outing Peter Parker's identity, the end of Infinity War, and Thanos being decapitated in the first 20 minutes of Endgame were legitimately dramatic reveals that surprised people and were sort of "Whoa, anything can happen." moments.

The most recent phase has weirdly been too connected and built up, but simultaneously not connected enough to have dramatic events that hit the whole franchise. There have been tons of teases and references, but most of the movies have actually been pretty much self-contained and not impacted the greater narrative at all. Some of the movies are also leaning much harder into the metanarrative, but are suffering because they are playing it much safer and teasing the metastory, so you get very unsatisfying movies that feel like they are just stalling the metastory while having perfunctory stories of their own.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The most recent phase has weirdly been too connected and built up, but simultaneously not connected enough to have dramatic events that hit the whole franchise. There have been tons of teases and references, but most of the movies have actually been pretty much self-contained and not impacted the greater narrative at all. Some of the movies are also leaning much harder into the metanarrative, but are suffering because they are playing it much safer and teasing the metastory, so you get very unsatisfying movies that feel like they are just stalling the metastory while having perfunctory stories of their own.

You know, I think that's exactly it. Every movie and show is trying to hit that "and now the MCU will be changed... forever" sense of importance, but at the same time they have to be super cautious because there's a dozen other movies and shows all trying to do the same thing fairly simultaneously and none of the projects are allowed to step on the toes of the others.

I mean right now, I can't tell you if all this multiversal stuff was caused by Strange in No Way Home, Kang getting murked in S1 of Loki, or Wanda in MoM, or Ant Man 3's Kang encounter. Or all of these, or none of them. Suddenly it's just there from all over. And I would enjoy all of these knowing which was the actual catalyst, and which was repercussions of that event. Otherwise it kind of feels like a bunch of separate projects doing the same kind of story without being truly connected and then... well, I've certainly been unsatisfied by it all.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Parkingtigers posted:

You know, I think that's exactly it. Every movie and show is trying to hit that "and now the MCU will be changed... forever" sense of importance, but at the same time they have to be super cautious because there's a dozen other movies and shows all trying to do the same thing fairly simultaneously and none of the projects are allowed to step on the toes of the others.

I mean right now, I can't tell you if all this multiversal stuff was caused by Strange in No Way Home, Kang getting murked in S1 of Loki, or Wanda in MoM, or Ant Man 3's Kang encounter. Or all of these, or none of them. Suddenly it's just there from all over. And I would enjoy all of these knowing which was the actual catalyst, and which was repercussions of that event. Otherwise it kind of feels like a bunch of separate projects doing the same kind of story without being truly connected and then... well, I've certainly been unsatisfied by it all.

If anything, I would think this sort of redundancy would be a relief to the more casual moviegoer, who might just be interested in a few of the movies; to find out that "okay as long as you saw at least one of these other productions that's all you need to know", rather than having to feel forced to watch them all. Like, obviously a studio would prefer an audience to watch most, if not all of them, but balancing that against a very real sense of audience burnout seems a necessity at this stage. Better to have them watch some than to get overwhelmed/disgusted and see none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I feel it was also easier to build stories around the macguffins of the infinity stones than Kang or the multiverse. But the biggest thing was, as has been said, the way the teases in phase 1/2/3 led right into the next movie instead of being something set up for who knows when.

Anyways, I finished MCU: The Reign of Marvel Studios, and it was like the universe wanted the MCU dead after Endgame. I should have written this while it was fresh in my mind, because now I'm forgetting things. You had (not in chronological order, just as I remember them):

1) Gunn getting fired. The right wing concern trolling completely derailed not just plans for cosmic marvel, but Gunn was getting set up to take the lead on phase 4. This was perlmutter and his cronies doing their own thing so that when feige was able to get disney to hire gunn back, the damage had already been done, especially since WB swooped in to give gunn whatever he wanted.

2) Chadwick Boseman dying. Black Panther was going to be the face of the MCU phase 4+ like Iron Man was for the first chunk. That's speculation on my part, not from the book, but it did seem like the films were going in that direction.

3) Covid. Obviously this hosed everything up and we're still feeling the effects today, not just with filming, but with movie attendance. Personally, I've gone to thirteen movies this year, which seems like a lot, but is about half of what I usually do.

4) Push for streaming. This is a big one because, for the most part, Marvel was running these shows like they were long movies instead of actual shows. You cannot have a four hour movie you chop into eight chunks and call it a day. The flow and rhythm of a good show is different than a film. It also put so much more pressure on the already overworked sfx houses. No one can say that the visuals in these recent movies and shows aren't worse than the early films.

5) Feige getting promoted. Seems like a good thing with how he sheparded the Infinity Saga to completion, but what it really did was made it so he didn't have the time to make sure the films were shaping up how they should. Combined with the push for streaming and how accelerated the new phases were initially planned that led to an overall quality dip.

Any one of these is an obstacle that could have derailed things, all of them together and I'm amazed that Secret Invasion was the only outright trashpile they shat out this phase. Yes, I like Quantumania and Love and Thunder.