Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Holy poo poo lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

god pre-klopp liverpool was so bad sometimes

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Holy poo poo lol and lmao but apparently there's more context - it was just after Dani Alvez picked up and ate a banana thrown at him while playing for Barca, and then Neymar turned it into a campaign with that hashtag, the Brazilian players had been planning it for a while as a response next time someone got bananaed to highlight the racism in the Spanish league. Obviously our mate Luis isn't the best poster boy for such a campaign.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 13, 2023

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Slotducks posted:

god pre-klopp liverpool was so bad sometimes

The late-Rafa through early-Rodgers period was probably the most insufferable a club has ever been.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
incredible self-awareness on display

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
on the one hand that era of Liverpool was bad in many ways, but on the other hand I will always love Lucas Leiva

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
good old Luis

and for anybody who's forgotten what the suspension was about...

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

blue footed boobie posted:

The late-Rafa through early-Rodgers period was probably the most insufferable a club has ever been.

the Barcelona (All Years) forgetter

but yes

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/SeanKGriffiths/status/1276643284744581121

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure where to post this but as someone who kinda followed the Brazilian league during summer with no premier league or any eu leagues. Botafogo had a 16pts lead after 20 games, since then they have had the worst pts total in the league, they are literally the worst team after their coach left to Saudi Arabia. One of the biggest collapses ever, they still are 2nd 5 games to go but they have had LOST multiple games where they were up 3-0. This is the type of collapse teams like Arsenal and Dortmund could only dream of.

Also former chelsea/atleti nuthead Diego Costa plays for them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Cristiano Ronaldo requested the former Botafogo headcoach and the Saudis just made an insane offer so he left. Something around 6 million euros a year. They then went and got Bruno Lage, formerly of wolverhampton. And he started ok. But then he lost his first match against flamengo, got pissy at the interview after, offered to quit on the spot, but was kept on. He was eventually fired, because the team actually went to the owner and said they didn't want him anymore.

Diego Costa is a back up, but he was brought in because the starter had both injury and personal issues. Tiquinho Soares started the league with 10 goals in 12 matches. Then he first got hurt, and then later learned that he had to take care of his dying father, and since that start has managed only 6 goals in 17 matches.

Also, the Brazilian league may not be what it once was (probably the top league in the world till the mid 80s), but it is hard to beat for entertainment. 4 matches to go and 6 teams with real chances of winning.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 15, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

when todd boehly spent $3bn on chelsea, then spent another $3bn to make them worse, then showed the FA all of their fraudulent accounting so that they could also be bad retrospectively

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

retroactively deduct liverpool points for this.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FullLeatherJacket posted:

when todd boehly spent $3bn on chelsea, then spent another $3bn to make them worse, then showed the FA all of their fraudulent accounting so that they could also be bad retrospectively

Maybe he reasoned these things come in 3s and decided to get fined another $3bn before something else happened.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Maybe he reasoned these things come in 3s and decided to get fined another $3bn before something else happened.

Not their telecom sponsor anymore at least

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That took me a second.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Monaco getting bought by a russian billionaire who pumped a poo poo load of cash in on players before losing half his money in a divorce so immediately going on spending cuts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Monaco getting bought by a russian billionaire who pumped a poo poo load of cash in on players before losing half his money in a divorce so immediately going on spending cuts

The Anzhi Makhachkala billionaire project lasting a whole 18 months before the inevitable firesale and relegation

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The Anzhi Makhachkala billionaire project lasting a whole 18 months before the inevitable firesale and relegation*

*Dissolution.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I was remembering fat footballers in the other thread and then I remembered Tomas Brolin literally getting so fat that Leeds paid to terminate his contract

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
World cup star > UEFA cup winner > contract terminated (fat) > restaurant owner > vacuum cleaner salesman > world series of poker

The dream career path

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
That time the social media manager for Liverpool met a random idiot on Twitter in a little chef to threaten his family if he didn't stop leaking transfer details. The Twitter idiot was just reposting transfer rumours from the papers.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

cagliostr0 posted:

That time the social media manager for Liverpool met a random idiot on Twitter in a little chef to threaten his family if he didn't stop leaking transfer details. The Twitter idiot was just reposting transfer rumours from the papers.

Duncan was a great follow for a while there

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I understand the need to threaten his family but making him go to a Little Chef seem a bit OTT.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

that time the venezuelan foreign minister accused peru of kidnapping their national team

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

cagliostr0 posted:

Lol i never knew it was a little chef. Surprised they were still around back then

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

unai emery inheriting a steven gerrard team that had won two games in twelve and finished 14th and immediately mounting a title challenge with it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a perfect Emery club

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, I forgot about the funniest part of the Botafogo meltdown in Brazil:

Botafogo normally plays at home at Nilton Santos, a stadium that uses artificial turf instead of grass. Suarez is playing for Gremio and has a deal to not play on turf. When Botafogo was to play gremio at home, the American owner of Botafogo rented out Nilton Santos for a concert, so Botafogo was forced to play at another stadium in Rio. This other stadium has grass. So Suarez played. Botafogo was ahead 3-1 when Suarez then scored 3 goals.

Anyways, standings at the halfway point

standing now:

3 more matches to go (I am an Atletico-MG fan, btw).

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lyon is going down lol. buh bye nazis

Shroud
May 11, 2009

tristeham posted:

lyon is going down lol. buh bye nazis

What's the nazi association with Lyon?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

joepinetree posted:

standing now:

3 more matches to go (I am an Atletico-MG fan, btw).

Update: Santos tied with Botafogo past the 90' mark, while Flamengo won their game, so now Botafogo's in 3rd place and Flamengo takes second, tied with Palmeiras in points. This meltdown really is one for the history books.

At the halfway mark of the tournament, Botafogo had a 13 point lead, and then...

https://x.com/eskeFussball/status/1728881620625895805?s=20

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 27, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shroud posted:

What's the nazi association with Lyon?

they got very vocal nazi ultras

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

tristeham posted:

they got very vocal nazi ultras

Isn't that a bunch of teams worldwide

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that a bunch of teams worldwide

It's a funny old game

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Sergio Ramos gets a second yellow, Sevilla players surround the ref protesting, the ref goes and checks VAR, cancels the yellow, and gives Ramos a direct red instead.

https://x.com/DirtyFootbaIIer/status/1729518761319800980?s=20

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

29th! red card of his career

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

UnfurledSails posted:

Sergio Ramos gets a second yellow, Sevilla players surround the ref protesting, the ref goes and checks VAR, cancels the yellow, and gives Ramos a direct red instead.

That's fantastic, but I thought VAR couldn't review a second yellow. Or is that just a PL rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

lol but also I’m real glad the PL has told refs to clamp down on ref crowding because watching this reminds me of how much I don’t miss it