Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Kurieg posted:

CPS won't let her share a room with an adult for reasons that her parents won't explain, probably related to child abuse. And apparently her previous foster home would lock her in her room at night, which is why she has these issues.
Yeah, I was thinking she probably got locked in or forced to stay in her room at night by a foster home, so the reason she keeps asking for the mom is because she wants an adult of her new household to give her 'permission' to do things like go to the bathroom. It's a rough situation.

EDIT: That said I'm not saying it's okay for the 14 year old to have her sleep interrupted every night. It's not. If the 10 year old goes back into the system, especially with issues as severe as she has, it's basically inevitable that she's going to be abused further. That's also not okay. The best solution probably is for the 14 year old to stay with a friend's family while the renovations are finished, and hopefully the 10 year old will use the baby monitor to call the mom if the 14 year old isn't there to wake up. It sounds like the mom is willing to be the one handling everything with the 10 year old at night, she's getting up every time to be the one soothing her, but as long as they're sharing a room she's going to wake up the 14 year old first. Another solution needs to happen because she's going to need to be able to call the mom without leaving her room once she does have her own room.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

hallo spacedog posted:

I feel like this isn't the first story we've had about vintage cereal box collectors and it's very weird to me that this is even a thing.

I get it, a bit weird that it's a relatively young person though. Childhood foods hold a lot of nostalgia, and cereal boxes tend to be visually striking and have a bunch of variants, so it's kind of an ideal collector's item, if you're that way inclined.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

The reason the parents don't want to do this is that then 2 or 3 children would be complaining about this situation, and they'd have to figure their poo poo out. Not just building the bedroom, but transitioning her to sleeping by herself, which is also not going to be easy. Easier to just dump this on their least favourite kid and threaten her with punishments when she complains. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she ends up voluntold to sleep in her cousin's room and continue to be her nurse.

In comments she says that her cousin isn't willing to wake up the mom on her own even if she has a baby monitor or other means of alerting her, and left on her own will pee/poop in the bed if OP doesn't fetch her mom to take the cousin to the bathroom, so unless getting her own bedroom turns out to be massively healing for the cousin's trauma the parents' only options are 1) leave their niece to cry alone all night in her own excrement or 2) force their 14-year-old to continue providing round-the-clock nurse services.

They know this, of course, which is why they've backburnered construction on the room. Why bother building a new room if it's just going to have the same problem as the old room? They're doing the bare minimum to provide a fig leaf justification for the heroic levels of sacrifice that one kid has been singled out for. The 14-year-old is a fuckin' saint and rather than even getting acknowledgement she's getting treated as a troublemaker for venting. Yeah, I'm sure that after caring for a traumatized 10-year-old the parents probably don't have a lot of bandwidth for their own daughter, but unlike her they chose to be in this situation. It's the right choice, but it's a hard choice, and they're offloading that burden onto their own child that is not remotely equipped to deal with it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

In comments she says that her cousin isn't willing to wake up the mom on her own even if she has a baby monitor or other means of alerting her, and left on her own will pee/poop in the bed if OP doesn't fetch her mom to take the cousin to the bathroom, so unless getting her own bedroom turns out to be massively healing for the cousin's trauma the parents' only options are 1) leave their niece to cry alone all night in her own excrement or 2) force their 14-year-old to continue providing round-the-clock nurse services.

They know this, of course, which is why they've backburnered construction on the room. Why bother building a new room if it's just going to have the same problem as the old room? They're doing the bare minimum to provide a fig leaf justification for the heroic levels of sacrifice that one kid has been singled out for. The 14-year-old is a fuckin' saint and rather than even getting acknowledgement she's getting treated as a troublemaker for venting. Yeah, I'm sure that after caring for a traumatized 10-year-old the parents probably don't have a lot of bandwidth for their own daughter, but unlike her they chose to be in this situation. It's the right choice, but it's a hard choice, and they're offloading that burden onto their own child that is not remotely equipped to deal with it.
Ah... yeah... honestly I wonder in that case if it would help for the mom to check in every 4 hours or so?

EDIT: Rather than relying on the 14 year old getting woken up, I mean. An adult is developmentally going to be able to handle the interrupted sleep better than a 14 year old with school and other concerns to take care of, and if there's a set time for mom to see if her niece is okay and needs to use the bathroom it might help? Especially since the mom would need to get up anyway. I feel like the parents probably think it's 'not a big deal' because 'all 14 year old has to do is fetch her mom', but sleep is really important at that age.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 14, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

I feel like this isn't the first story we've had about vintage cereal box collectors and it's very weird to me that this is even a thing.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Flora Finching posted:

The biggest ball of twine is in Cawker City Kansas :colbert:

and it is redolent of piss

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
of? with? one of those

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

the holy poopacy posted:

You know, I think this is a case where there just aren't any good solutions, just varying degrees of lovely ones.

I wonder if the parents have a master suite with their own bathroom...

If so, would it be possible to move 10F into that room so maybe she won't freak out about leaving the room to go use the bathroom at night? It also wouldn't be as big of a deal to have the kid turn all the lights on if they were scared?

Parents would have to suck it up and move to the living room or playroom. But that might also kick their asses into gear to finish the new bedroom? But CPS might have a problem with that too?

I have no real good solutions here. Someone is going to be mad and someone is going to get their sleep hosed up no matter what. It just shouldn't be the 14 YO.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

blackmet posted:

I have no real good solutions here. Someone is going to be mad and someone is going to get their sleep hosed up no matter what. It just shouldn't be the 14 YO.
Yeah, and while I understand her parents' snap response of 'can't she understand how traumatized her cousin is', I'd argue the 14 year old has been kind of amazingly patient and while she doesn't know all the details of what happened to her cousin she surely knows this isn't normal 10 year old behavior and is a result of trauma. The concerns she's bringing up are legitimate ones, and she deserves to have her parents hear her and talk to her like someone with the ability to understand it's a difficult situation. If CPS wouldn't accept her older siblings taking shifts with the 10 year old, they need to tell her that, is what I mean. And even if there's no easy solutions, they should try something like the mom getting up in the middle of the night on an alarm to check in, or figure out what times the 10 year old is most likely to need help going to the bathroom, and work with the 14 year old so she understands they're working on a solution.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
reddit user "screamingcousin" informs us that they "don't know" if their cousin is seeing a therapist, which means that they're not. But it's hard on everyone and everyone is just doing the best they can :(

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

reddit user "screamingcousin" informs us that they "don't know" if their cousin is seeing a therapist, which means that they're not. But it's hard on everyone and everyone is just doing the best they can :(

Wrong post. The user for this post is sharingroompost who says that her cousin is in therapy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/17ut7oi/comment/k960kaw/

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 14, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's the thing...the fourteen year old is a teenager just starting high school. They likely don't have the capacity to understand that kind of trauma. Instead they're learning that she's "traumatized" which to her means that she has to suffer the consequences for an indefinite period of time, leading to her hating the kid and maybe developing a lovely attitude towards abuse victims in general.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Here's the thing...the fourteen year old is a teenager just starting high school. They likely don't have the capacity to understand that kind of trauma. Instead they're learning that she's "traumatized" which to her means that she has to suffer the consequences for an indefinite period of time, leading to her hating the kid and maybe developing a lovely attitude towards abuse victims in general.
Yeah, the parents really need to try other things and also make sure the 14 year old is having attention and care paid to her and the sacrifices she's been told to make for the past months.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It takes like a week tops to build an interior wall even if you're an amateur going off YouTube videos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Wrong post. The user for this post is sharingroompost who says that her cousin is in therapy.
Ah, my mistake. Apparently they "tried" a baby monitor but the 10yo "wouldn't" use it. I wonder how hard they tried. Aren't most baby monitors sound-activated, since babies can't operate electronic devices?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, you don't get it. If I explain to you, very calmly and rationally, why it's necessary for me to hit you in the head with a hammer, it's still going to hurt when I hit you in the head with a hammer. The 14 year-old's lack of comprehension is not the issue here; they understand what's going on perfectly (except for the details their parents have deliberately obscured, some for good reasons, some not).

quote:

I slept in my sister's room last night and now nobody's talking to me

quote:

I tried that last night and now nobody will talk to me. My sister won't even drive me to school. I had to ask our neighbor to drive me.
Everyone's doing their best!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, my mistake. Apparently they "tried" a baby monitor but the 10yo "wouldn't" use it. I wonder how hard they tried. Aren't most baby monitors sound-activated, since babies can't operate electronic devices?

No, you don't get it. If I explain to you, very calmly and rationally, why it's necessary for me to hit you in the head with a hammer, it's still going to hurt when I hit you in the head with a hammer. The 14 year-old's lack of comprehension is not the issue here; they understand what's going on perfectly (except for the details their parents have deliberately obscured, some for good reasons, some not).

Everyone's doing their best!
I mean, everyone here seems to agree that even if there are other regulations going on, the parents aren't handling it well, probably because they incorrectly have decided their 14 year old's complaints 'aren't a big deal' (they are, sleep is important) and they think they've found a solution that works (they haven't, this isn't sustainable).

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

OP mentioned in a couple comments that she stayed in her sister's room last night, which seems like it happened after the original post and after the urging of the thread

quote:

I slept in my sister's room last night and now nobody's talking to me

quote:

I tried that last night and now nobody will talk to me. My sister won't even drive me to school. I had to ask our neighbor to drive me.

And here's why everyone's mad at her:

quote:

I left her in my room last night and she poo poo herself and vomited then cried until my sister went to check on her and got our mom. I don't know what she'll do in her own room.

This really seems like it's way beyond reddit aita shenanigans and into a "these poor kids need immediate professional intervention" situation because OP is 14. Not an adult, not a parent, not remotely qualified to deal with this. And her parents aren't doing anything helpful for either OP or the cousin.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I'm done with that one, the situation is horrifying.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

It takes like a week tops to build an interior wall even if you're an amateur going off YouTube videos.

Sure, but if you need actual permits then you need time for applications & approvals, engineering & plans, various inspections, etc. And CPS probably has their own set of approvals/inspections that need to happen as well. It’s all a giant bureaucratic pain in the rear end. Not to excuse the parents cause making the 14-yo’s life hell isn’t a solution but it’s more than just throwing up some framing and drywall.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean there are some solutions that would help the 14-year-old and 10 year old both. You could have the mom sleep with the 10-year-old in that room and let the 14-year-old sleep elsewhere. You could have the mom and the 10-year-old sleep on an air mattress somewhere so the 14-year-old can keep her room. The 14-year-old should not be responsible for her 10-year-old cousin, or be her night Mom, and she certainly doesn't deserve to be grounded for refusing to be parent-fied in that way.

All of these options have already been pointed out as not viable. No the adult foster parent cannot sleep in the room with the child, and the room has to have 4 walls so the kid isn't vulnerable to abusers while sleeping. For the same reasons, they don't put teens who are 16, 17 etc in rooms with young foster kids. The exact age varies from place to place but this isn't just a normal family situation where you can put the kid wherever they fit - they can only put the kid in a room with another kid, or their own room. They risk losing the kid if they break these rules.

They are in this situation because of the rules set up by CPS, with good reason. You basically suggested calling CPS on CPS lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rotating which kid is keeping the 10 year old company at night might at least share the burden a bit.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah for sure. I'm willing to bet they didn't realize how long the extra room would take to build as well. The whole thing reads like everyone has been cramped up too long and is getting upset, understandably so.

EDIT: Just saw this post

Arc Light posted:

This really seems like it's way beyond reddit aita shenanigans and into a "these poor kids need immediate professional intervention" situation because OP is 14. Not an adult, not a parent, not remotely qualified to deal with this. And her parents aren't doing anything helpful for either OP or the cousin.

Ooof yeah ok something seriously bad happened to this kid and they parents are really not taking seriously how this is gonna go once the foster kid gets their own room. That is a serious problem.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 14, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

With the updates I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time before the 10yo is put back in foster.

If CPS hears the 14yo's version of events and what's been happening I'm pretty sure they'd lose the niece and maybe a few of their own kids along with her.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah the niece could very well go back in the system either way, yikes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They are in this situation because of the rules set up by CPS
You just keep repeating this. I have seen no evidence that it is true.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Very tough situation and historically the answer was to throw those kids to the wolves of institutional care.

The most appropriate to me is the 14yr old and 17yr old share a room (hopefully big enough for a divider partition) and the parents to have a rostered check in every couple hours as suggested by a previous poster on the vulnerable one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah for sure. I'm willing to bet they didn't realize how long the extra room would take to build as well. The whole thing reads like everyone has been cramped up too long and is getting upset, understandably so.

It's not actually about the space. Solutions that would take the 14 year old out of the existing room (moving in with her older sister or staying at a friend's house) are regarded as unacceptable. The 10-year-old basically needs full time professional care at this point but our social services are a sad joke so instead a highschool freshman is being asked to fill the gap.

Ravus Ursus posted:

With the updates I'm pretty sure it's a matter of time before the 10yo is put back in foster.

If CPS hears the 14yo's version of events and what's been happening I'm pretty sure they'd lose the niece and maybe a few of their own kids along with her.

Yeah :sigh: And unfortunately it's unclear that any other home is going to be able to meet the kid's needs either.

Halloween Jack posted:

OP does mention it in a comment although she probably only has her parents' word. I suspect they're actually telling the truth though as I'd think having the mom stay with the niece would actually make their situation better, given that she has to get up anyhow.

EDIT: Although I suppose it could just be that OP is enough of a black sheep that the parents lie about the feasibility of even mutually beneficial alternate arrangements out of sheer spite. That's a level of hatred above and beyond what's demonstrated in OP's post and comments though.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Halloween Jack posted:

I keep saying it varies from state to state but here's a few bits of info that give you an idea of the sorts of stipulations CPS can have for housing across the US - size of the room, who is in it, age and number of occupants, etc. btw, you have thumbs and can Google this poo poo as well:

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubpdfs/homestudyreqs.pdf

Childwelfare.gov posted:

"The home must have a sufficient number of bedrooms for all family members that are large enough to provide each child adequate space for his or her safety, privacy, and comfort.

In 18 States, regulations specify a minimum square
footage that must be provided to each child in care.

In 19 States, regulations specify a maximum number of children allowed in each bedroom. Exceptions may be
made to these occupancy limits in order to accommodate
siblings.

In 37 States, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, there must be a sufficient number of bedrooms so that children of the opposite sex do not share a room.

In 25 States, the District of Columbia, and the Virgin Islands, children who are older than infants are not allowed to
sleep in the same room as an adult. Each child must be
provided with his or her own bed; infants must sleep in cribs that meet all relevant safety standards.
"

the holy poopacy posted:

It's not actually about the space. Solutions that would take the 14 year old out of the existing room (moving in with her older sister or staying at a friend's house) are regarded as unacceptable. The 10-year-old basically needs full time professional care at this point but our social services are a sad joke so instead a highschool freshman is being asked to fill the gap.

Yeah the update about what happened when the niece was left alone was dire, and has shifted my position on it. This isn't just night nursing and getting the parents when the kid has an issue, this is something way bigger.

CPS would absolutely have something to say about the niece being left alone all night to poo poo themselves, for sure. My experience with CPS comes from family experiences and, a sister who works in child welfare so I'm a bit cynical; CPS will handle open neglect, but they wouldn't necessarily be upset at the 14yo being left in the room to care for the 10yo unfortunately. It would really depend on the state laws and the specific CPS agent's decision. To a lot of them, someone taking care of the kid is better than no one. Like you said, our social services are a joke and CPS is happy to let a teenager be the stopgap solution. It's....not a great system we have.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 14, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I keep saying it varies from state to state but here's a few bits of info that give you an idea of the sorts of stipulations CPS can have for housing across the US - size of the room, who is in it, age and number of occupants, etc. btw, you have thumbs and can Google this poo poo as well:
I've been Googling, and I can't find any regulations that say a 10 year old foster kid can share a room with a 14 year old but not a 16 or 17 year old. OP also never mentioned it.

Edit: I also really don't see CPS saying that she absolutely can't sleep in the parents' room for any reason (including puking and making GBS threads herself in terror) but it's 100% okay for her to share a room with her 14 year old cousin. Seriously, who believes that CPS gave their blessing to this specific dysfunctional setup and not any other?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 14, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubpdfs/homestudyreqs.pdf
Yes, it's unfortunate because in this specific case having the mom sleep in the same room with the 10 year old might actually help the most in terms of providing effective care, but I understand why that's a rule. They aren't handling it properly, though, because the 14 year old can't just be expected to be the go-between and her parents are seriously minimizing the impact it's having on her and punishing her for it not working.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, absolutely - like I said, the update changes things for sure. But folks absolutely need to realize, it's really not as simple as switching rooms. The rules for living spaces for fosters come into play, leaving it so this poor 14yo is pushed into filling a huge gap left by society and bureaucracy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The rules which you keep insisting definitely exist even though there's no evidence, the OP never mentioned it, and you made them up.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been Googling, and I can't find any regulations that say a 10 year old foster kid can share a room with a 14 year old but not a 16 or 17 year old. OP also never mentioned it.

Edit: I also really don't see CPS saying that she absolutely can't sleep in the parents' room for any reason (including puking and making GBS threads herself in terror) but it's 100% okay for her to share a room with her 14 year old cousin. Seriously, who believes that CPS gave their blessing to this specific dysfunctional setup and not any other?

At this point you're either being intentionally obtuse, or you truly don't grasp there's no one single law about this. Basically, I can't figure out if you're actually this stupid, or just playing at being this dumb. But either way the answer is the same: you'd need to look into your local regulations but the primer from the federal govt I posted shows that there's specific laws governing the housing of foster children in every municipality, including how kids many are allowed in a room and what ages, as well as no adults ever with them in a majority of states. You don't just get to mix it up as you please.

CPS likely doesn't know about the making GBS threads herself in terror while left alone, sounds like it just happened, and when they learn, their reaction won't be to leave the child with the people who did that but let her sleep in their bedroom.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 14, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"I've linked a PDF which proves that laws exist. If you don't believe in the existence of a hypothetical law I just made up, the burden of proof is on you to prove that it doesn't exist. Just Google it"

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Can we move the gently caress on? (edit: I’m removing the rest for being unnecessarily aggressive, sorry Halloween Jack)

Edit for content:

How can I (28f) ask my autistic boyfriend (33m) to break up with me in a respectful way?

quote:

My boyfriend broke up our 2-year relationship a few months ago during a lunch break. Less than a day goes by until he's regretful and wants to try again. I take him back. Now he cannot agree not to dump me the same way again.

When I ask him not to break up with me during a lunch break again, and to instead try and communicate his issues earlier on to give me a chance to meet him in the middle (like I do with my issues), he adamantly states that "when a relationship is over, it's over. I think it's ok to break up however the person who's done with the relationship wants to. The only exception would be if the person being broken up with has a big presentation at work or something, then it's ok to wait" and I'm completely dumbfounded. We've had multiple discussions about this, but he cannot see things my way and always kind of reluctantly agrees to some vague solution about communicating and says things like "I don't know what you mean but I guess", but he's never actually said the words "I will not break up with you during a lunch break," which would mean a lot for me to hear, but only if he meant it.

Yesterday night we got into it again when he found out that I trash-talked him to my friends the day he broke up with me. This is the most normal thing in the world to me, but apparently, he's never EVER talked poo poo about an ex. I've asked how he's been broken up with, and to be fair he hasn't had the best experiences with breakups either. His last girlfriend (35) broke off their 2yr relationship after she came home from the grocery store, and then they watched a show together like nothing ever happened (I don't think he minded that actually, but it speaks on his frame of reference for these things), and one relationship ended because the girl was cheating on him, and then ghosted him for her ex.

He is autistic and super smart and I feel incredibly loved... But I don't feel safe knowing that he could get rid of me at a moment's notice without considering my feelings, which also triggers my BPD when we really get into the heat of things (which is not often at all, thank god, and the episodes have gotten much shorter and manageable since we met, but I still lack some reassurance that he won't abandon me).

So my question is, how can I ask him to break up with me in a respectful way if it ever comes to that again? How do I go about navigating that conversation with an autist?

TLDR

My autistic boyfriend doesn't understand why I'd be sad about breaking up, how can I communicate my needs for a respectful breakup the best way?

Fixed formatting.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Can we move the gently caress on? (edit: I’m removing the rest for being unnecessarily aggressive, sorry Halloween Jack)

Edit for content:

How can I (28f) ask my autistic boyfriend (33m) to break up with me in a respectful way?

Fixed formatting.

quote:

which also triggers my BPD when we really get into the heat of things
that one line is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this post

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
You'd think one of the most popular subreddits on a popular website would have someone in charge and knowledgeable enough to say "please disregard all advice given, contact professionals at _____" but alas

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

You'd think one of the most popular subreddits on a popular website would have someone in charge and knowledgeable enough to say "please disregard all advice given, contact professionals at _____" but alas

Ah no this is actually strictly forbidden on many subreddits and why you have mostly cops moderating legaladvice for example

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
How do I (36F) get my husband (36M) to stop cooking?

quote:

My husband at some point decided he wanted to start cooking some of our meals. I’m not really sure why. He has never cooked, which was fine because I love cooking. But at first I was like, this will be great! He’s going to contribute more! This will be helpful!

It has not been helpful. He is bad at cooking. At first, I would hang out in the kitchen and try to guide him, but he gets upset when he feels like I am correcting him and refuses to do what I suggest. If I don’t say anything, but I see food starting to burn because a pan is on way too high, and I just get up to turn it down, he gets upset and says “please just let me do it.” I will point out that he didn’t even notice the pan burning so how long was I supposed to let it happen before “letting him do it?”

At a certain point I had to stop hanging out in the kitchen while he cooks, because I can’t just sit there and let him do everything wrong without saying anything. I’m not good at too many things, but I’m a really good cook and I have a lot of experience, so I’m not sure why he doesn’t want my help. Now I go in another room and spend the 1-2 hours stressfully listening to him clanging all my nice kitchen stuff around and frequently yelling “goddamn it!!”

On multiple occasions the food has been completely inedible, and I’m not even a picky eater. He will eat his plate out of stubbornness but most of the food ends up in the trash and it’s a huge waste, especially considering today’s food prices.

He always says he will clean up afterwards, but I will see all my expensive cooking utensils and dishes and pans piled carelessly in the sink, and it makes me nervous that he is going to break or chip something. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies and I have a lot of nice kitchen stuff that I have been slowly collecting for many years. My collection of cooking tools is really important to me and I have been slowly building it for over 15 years since I started living on my own. I don’t feel like he is as careful with my things as I would be. So I always rush to finish eating (not hard since I usually only choke down a few bites out of politeness) so I can be the first one in the kitchen to clean my stuff. This upsets him and he insists that he is perfectly capable of doing cleaning. I point out that the rest of the kitchen is an absolute disaster (food and sauces and garbage all over the counters and floor) and he can start tackling that, and again he will get upset, pick up a few things and then leave and go watch TV. So I end up cleaning everything. He makes insane messes when he cooks and it’s absolutely exhausting. We also have pets and I have to be the one to check the floors to make sure all the food gets picked up because he is apparently incapable of looking down at the floor and seeing all the stuff he dropped while cooking. Last time, I specifically asked him to clean the floor, and he bent down and picked up one piece of onion with his hand and then looked at me like “ok that’s done.” The times that I do back off and let him clean, he does the dishes and that’s it. I’ll go back later to find dirty floors, dirty counters, a dirty sink, a sopping wet and dirty sponge in the holder, sauce still smeared on the refrigerator handles, etc.

It would be completely different if he was less stubborn about every aspect of this, and open to someone helping him learn!

Clearly, I don’t see it going well if I tell him I want him to stop cooking. But I can’t keep doing this, so I’m hoping to get some advice for how I can bring this up. I’m also open to suggestions for how to at least help my husband be more comfortable with me helping him so he can learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

spite house posted:

Speaking as a Los Angeles Person, those restaurant references are also as vanilla as it's possible to get – not to mention déclassé as gently caress. I could have told her she'd meet a loving buster at Mozza in TYOOL 2023.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a "look at this fuckin guy" meta-diss on wet-behind-the-ears out-of-towners.

Spago? Come ON.

it felt like someone from wisconsin tryna be coastal