Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Good boah, goddamn it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There are a few of the strangers missions that are off the beaten path but most of the time even those you will eventually stumble across.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I just made it to St. Denis and somehow I am not even 50% of the way through this game.

I got to St. Denis quite early on my playthrough during chapter 2, on the stranger mission where you're meant to find old gunslingers which I was doing ahead of progressing story missions. You end up on top of a train for one of them and if you stay on top of the train long enough, you end up in St. Denis. Well since I had just killed a guy on top of the train, this meant I was basically a mobile crime scene attracting attention as the train went past people, and my first experience of St. Denis was leaping off the train then running through the streets with police after me, no idea where I was or where to go, and bullets flying everywhere.

I led them around what felt like half the city, hiding for a bit but not losing the wanted level fully, then the chase started over and I managed to get out of the city alive on foot somehow but this was where I also discovered alligators for the first time as I tried to run through the swamps to get away from the pursuing police. It was hilarious, and great. I was already sold on the game by that point but the absolute disaster of this side mission taking me to somewhere I'd never been and the absolute chaos that ensued was A+.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Makes me wonder if there are more missions I don't know about because you have to be local for them to appear on the map.

Yes

There sure are

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've lost interest in trying to do every little thing but I do enjoy the side missions. I wrapped up the series with the nature photographer. Going to miss that guy!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love the little French guy. He just wants to paint society ladies and gently caress them.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I love how a lot of the side missions are just Arthur having fun with weird little guys

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
And just how cool and open he is with people more polite and 'civilised' society would consider freaks, weirdos and degenerates

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

running through the streets with police after me, no idea where I was or where to go, and bullets flying everywhere.

This is also st. denis if you try to ride a horse too fast

bobjr posted:

I love how a lot of the side missions are just Arthur having fun with weird little guys

It's such a breath of fresh air from all the unlikeable perverts and murderers in GTA side missions, I like that they put the effort in to make you enjoy spending time with the side characters in this one.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Barry Foster posted:

And just how cool and open he is with people more polite and 'civilised' society would consider freaks, weirdos and degenerates

yes, its great storytelling that even though Arthur has no formal education or familiarity with stuff those guys care about he is much more at ease with them because they are genuine. I think we touched on this before but to me one of the biggest traits Arthur has is he respects authenticity. He has no patience for the various hypocrites he is dealing with like the Pinkertons or whoever else. But when he meets some weirdo he is far more patient and even compassionate because he appreciates someone having the courage to be themselves.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorites are Albert Mason, the wildlife photographer, and Hamish, the Veteran. But Mason stands out for me as someone I can point to whenever some edgelord says "b-b-b-but Arthur was an evil monster psycho!!!" Yeah....an evil monster psycho who is going out of his way to keep this earnest if totally clueless man alive. For absolutely no reason or gain save for the fact, as noted, Arthur respects authenticity. He cares for this naive but good soul who just wants to enjoy nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2fjhV6LYw&t=982s

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He even respects Algernon Wasp, the biggest weirdo.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorites are Albert Mason, the wildlife photographer, and Hamish, the Veteran. But Mason stands out for me as someone I can point to whenever some edgelord says "b-b-b-but Arthur was an evil monster psycho!!!" Yeah....an evil monster psycho who is going out of his way to keep this earnest if totally clueless man alive. For absolutely no reason or gain save for the fact, as noted, Arthur respects authenticity. He cares for this naive but good soul who just wants to enjoy nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2fjhV6LYw&t=982s

I think murdering people for money makes you an evil psycho even if you make friends

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I do like the glimpses we get of full hardened bastard Arthur when he gets to work, for most people Arthur is the last person you would ever want to see.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I think murdering people for money makes you an evil psycho even if you make friends

The only people you murder in story are cops, gang members, bounty hunters, Cornwall's goons, soldiers, and...that's pretty much it.

A really cool bit of storytelling is John tells you to kill no one on the train robbery in Chapter 2. You can, in contrast, find a train robbery done by O'Driscolls where they killed everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0hYmx8M52I

The loan sharking is probably the most morally objectionable thing Arthur does, honestly.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 10, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NikkolasKing posted:

The only people you murder in story are cops, gang members, bounty hunters, Cornwall's goons, soldiers, and anyone who doesn't say howdy back when you pass them in the street

i fixed it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I said "hello"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I do enjoy cosplaying a bit by murdering the absolutely poo poo out of every Lemoyne raider I see.

Tie em up, toss em in the swamp. Or off a bridge. Or on the train tracks. Set them on fire. Explode them. I bring a lot of righteous anger to Rhodes and the entire free state of Lemoyne.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Riding at night I came across what turned out to be a small KKK rally, and it was even smaller after I was done with them. A couple of days later I caught three of them trying to raise a cross and when I started shooting they dropped the cross on themselves.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dick Trauma posted:

Riding at night I came across what turned out to be a small KKK rally, and it was even smaller after I was done with them. A couple of days later I caught three of them trying to raise a cross and when I started shooting they dropped the cross on themselves.

While that is a perfectly valid response that I do not want to discourage, it's also fun just to chill and watch them without getting involved. I know how that sounds, but trust me it all works out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you're suggesting that the meeting gets attacked by a pack of ravenous mountain lions that would also be a worthy conclusion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
With the cross one when they set it on fire it ends up toppling over and burning them them all to death

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Or something like that I forget the specifics

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I actually just toss Molotov cocktails into the Klan rallies because those robes really like to go up.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Even the cops don’t care if you explode the KKK if I recall

very unrealistic :(

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
If you're going for the challenge to kill multiple enemies at once with a single stick of dynamite, the klan members are by far the easiest way to accomplish this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

christmas boots posted:

With the cross one when they set it on fire it ends up toppling over and burning them them all to death

There’s two iirc, one where the burning cross catches their robes on fire, and another where they drop the cross on themselves while trying to stand it up

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Finished the main story after years of on again off again playing. The last two chapters really hooked me. Favorite side missions were probably that hunter guy, the scientist with the “son” and the serial killer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Action Serious posted:

Finished the main story after years of on again off again playing. The last two chapters really hooked me. Favorite side missions were probably that hunter guy, the scientist with the “son” and the serial killer.

In regards to the son, if you head back into the mountains from the start of the game you can find his tracks and go find him up on the top of one of the mountains, mourning his dad's death :smith:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think the developers wanted the best side mission to be the cabin being built over time. It's right on a main trail, it gives you a couple side missions leading to other cool points of interest, and the building coming together over multiple sessions is a neat way to imply the passage of time.

e it's the most boring though and I just remembered the cannibal pig farm

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 12, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The cabin was always bugged for me (including literally playing on a fresh save recently) and just goes from them needing wood to it being fully built with no additional input. Sorry cabinailures!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Action Serious posted:

The woman who's lost her husband and is struggling to survive alone is my favourite. It's kind of quiet and simple, but very sweet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The woman who's lost her husband and is struggling to survive alone is my favourite. It's kind of quiet and simple, but very sweet.

I love that quest! Someone said upthread that Arthur appreciates authentic people, but I think he also blossoms when he gets to be useful, and his friendship with Caroline proves that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just a couple of my favorite fan tweaks of RDR2 songs. I actually kinda prefer them to the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXYb6EvvGs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98s2mVUTWnk

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Just watched Jeremiah Johnson and now I appreciate the game even more for allowing playing as a fur dressed mountain man.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm on sharpshooter 8, which requires you to disarm 3 people without reloading. I can't seem to disarm anybody. I shoot them in the hand, the gun, the arm, and they don't drop their weapon. I've tried using pistols, repeaters, and the varmit rifle. Whats the trick here? I have no problem disarming people in duels, but doing it in a normal gunfight just is not working for me.

Is there a better place to find cougars than near the westernmost trapper? A lot of people say that you need to dispose of corpses in the area you hunt so that cougars can spawn, but I don't know if that is bullshit or not.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Up near the scientist's house. A cougar always finds me there, at least.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

quote:

Follow the railroad up from Annesburg. It curves to the west, cougars can spawn in the clearings here. Keep following the railroad until you come to the lake/waterfall area. Here continue along the trail, cougars will spawn on both sides of the water near the trails. You can continue to follow the trail to the left (going south now I think) and cougars can spawn in this stretch too. The best spots are right on both sides of the water near the trail though. Just loop from railroad to water to trail and cougars will spawn.

For what it’s worth, when you’re googling that kind of stuff, reddit posts from the last couple of years are by far the best source. A lot of the top results are from sites like IGN, polygon etc and they’re usually articles that haven’t been updated since the original console release

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When out cougaring, fire your gun in the air periodically. It will cause any stealthy cats to attack and reveal their little red dot on your radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My late 40s MAGA acquaintance from high school: You're uninformed about COVID and climate change

Same guy: Red Dead Redemption 2 is so unrealistic. The word gently caress didn't exist in 1899, they never say it in movies from the 50s