Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

One of the teams I play I play on is div 7-8, so not the most skilled, and more people than I would have thought wear mouth guards. Definitely not a majority but I counted a solid third of them had one in last night. I don't think anyone wears cut resistant socks and that's just wild to me. I don't trust players at that level to keep upright the whole game so feet are flying everywhere.

Other team I'm on is in div 4 and most guys have socks but no one, absolutely no one, wears a mouth guard me included which is probably a dumb decision. I think there's an unfounded believe that full cages means you're not going to get your teeth knocked out but there's plenty of other ways for you do do damage. I've been thinking about getting one the past couple days but I'd need to wear it at stick and puck a couple times before I used it in a game. I tried it once and found it uncomfortable in the same way skating in a mask did but that's still preferable to losing teeth.

quote:

I've also managed to only get submarined twice in the last few months,

I really feel for the refs in low division games. You're surrounded by 10 very unsure skaters who are spilling all over the ice, I'm honestly surprised officials aren't getting barreled through every other shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hi it’s me, I’m the problem.

Had to miss last night’s game, which we won 4-0. Gonna stop showing up the rest of the season to ensure wins.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

One of the teams I play I play on is div 7-8, so not the most skilled, and more people than I would have thought wear mouth guards. Definitely not a majority but I counted a solid third of them had one in last night. I don't think anyone wears cut resistant socks and that's just wild to me. I don't trust players at that level to keep upright the whole game so feet are flying everywhere.

Other team I'm on is in div 4 and most guys have socks but no one, absolutely no one, wears a mouth guard me included which is probably a dumb decision. I think there's an unfounded believe that full cages means you're not going to get your teeth knocked out but there's plenty of other ways for you do do damage. I've been thinking about getting one the past couple days but I'd need to wear it at stick and puck a couple times before I used it in a game. I tried it once and found it uncomfortable in the same way skating in a mask did but that's still preferable to losing teeth.

I really feel for the refs in low division games. You're surrounded by 10 very unsure skaters who are spilling all over the ice, I'm honestly surprised officials aren't getting barreled through every other shift.

If you’re in the Kraken League we’ve almost certainly crossed paths then. My team moved up to try 7a before settling into 7b this winter if you want to try to narrow me down. I’m improving enough with my positional play, but my hands aren’t quite there yet. My passing is improving a lot more than my shooting, and I can keep up going backwards so I’m having fun on D this year. Starting to hit those break out passes and picking up assists.

I don’t ref on Sunday nights normally because I’m playing, but you’re right about the bottom Divs. They don’t know how to skate and more importantly stop in a lot of cases. And they still push their speed which makes a lot of things dangerous even if it isn’t really a penalty because they can’t stop. I find myself lowering the standard of calls sometimes because it’s for their safety and they need someone to draw the line for what constitutes safe play. Most of the players are great people, but I just want to take them out and run skating drills for them instead of letting them play yet. I know playing it part of it, but they’re going to have a lot more fun in a year when they can put more of the pieces together.

I do more adult league on Mondays and Tuesdays though, and they can be fun. That’s your Div 3-5 that you’d see me at normally. Occasionally on Thursday for the 1-2 where they don’t like to wear even half shields. The near butt end was from the 18u Tier 1 boys this weekend though. Caught my shield.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Mouthguard in general is a good idea, I got elbowed once while wearing a cage and my teeth slammed together making them feel a little loose and funny for awhile after.

I've not seen skate cuts to the neck thank god, but I've seen sticks end up there. Once I have seen a skate cut to the inner thigh and that was really scary, a lot of blood and a trip to the ambulance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Last season I had a guy stick lift my poke check with enough force the toe of my stick got him under the chin then skipped up off the tip of his nose and under his visor. No bleeding but he looked kinda dazed while he processed what happened.

I sure deserved the 2 minutes but it doesn't change the fact that more protective gear would have put him in a lot less risk. It's scrub tier hockey, poo poo happens, pad up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

When I aged out of competitive hockey and started playing beer league I rocked a visor for about a year or so. Then one game i had the puck and someone tried to aggressively lift my stick but missed and popped me right in the nose. A lot of blood yet somehow no break (x-ray was negative). I've had full face protection since

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 31, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Jhet posted:

If you’re in the Kraken League we’ve almost certainly crossed paths then.

hah yep! There's a solid chance I have both played against you and have had you ref a game I was playing

For post content, I had games after 9:00 both Sunday and Monday and holy hell. I feel like when I started playing it was always my body that was in pain the day after, now we have a late-ish game and I'm basically a zombie for the next day.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 1, 2023

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I watched a YouTube short of that dude in the hat who coaches kids not to pass or deke and realized I was shooting completely wrong. Worked on it in warm ups and I’ve seen a big improvement. Feel way more useful as a defenseman now that I can actually get the puck to the net with some force.

I’ve been wearing a shirt with an integrated neck guard for years but usually kept the neck part open for ventilation. Definitely had it done up completely this weekend though. I tried to play with a mouth guard when I first started but didn’t like the feeling. Now that I’ve been doing jiu jitsu with a mouth guard though I wonder if I’d tolerate it better on the ice. Although, most games my biggest contribution is chirping so maybe I should stick to not using it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I expected to see more neckguards today but apparently they're all sold out everywhere, so no one had em

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

V for Vegans posted:

I watched a YouTube short of that dude in the hat who coaches kids not to pass or deke and realized I was shooting completely wrong. Worked on it in warm ups and I’ve seen a big improvement. Feel way more useful as a defenseman now that I can actually get the puck to the net with some force.

I’ve been wearing a shirt with an integrated neck guard for years but usually kept the neck part open for ventilation. Definitely had it done up completely this weekend though. I tried to play with a mouth guard when I first started but didn’t like the feeling. Now that I’ve been doing jiu jitsu with a mouth guard though I wonder if I’d tolerate it better on the ice. Although, most games my biggest contribution is chirping so maybe I should stick to not using it.

Grab a SISU, you can basically speak normally when wearing so your chirp game can keep going.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Hi it’s me, I’m the problem.

Had to miss last night’s game, which we won 4-0. Gonna stop showing up the rest of the season to ensure wins.

I had to miss a game. The team got a sub goalie. The opposing team didn't know. Until she skated out after warmups.
Then it was all "Oh poo poo, MOONSHINE? gently caress! We thought we were playing against topenga!"

So, uh, yeah I feel ya.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

.Spec posted:

hah yep! There's a solid chance I have both played against you and have had you ref a game I was playing

For post content, I had games after 9:00 both Sunday and Monday and holy hell. I feel like when I started playing it was always my body that was in pain the day after, now we have a late-ish game and I'm basically a zombie for the next day.

You should definitely just skate over to every ref you have on Mondays to ask if they have stairs in their house then. If only for the random stares and confused questions you'd get. But there's always a chance. My legs don't feel as bad after a long weekend of skating. I had a really busy weekend a few weeks ago where I had 13 games in 3 days and that did it for me. Soft ice at LIC for hours and hours.

That's an interesting question for people though. How good/bad is the ice in your area? I was talking to a coach this weekend who's from Minnesota but is in Salt Lake City now and his team really enjoyed the ice (it was really pretty good that morning). Is everyone skating on soft ice rinks and I'm just being extra picky about what's good and bad?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Official Kraken League Ice Tier List

S Tier: KCI Starbucks

A Tier: Angel of the Winds (good ice, we always lose here so docking it one tier level)

B Tier: KCI Smartsheet, KCI Virginia Mason

C Tier: Kent Valley (bumps down to F tier in summer), Olympicview, AotW Community (hottest rink ever, also in everett.)

F Tier: Lynnwood

.Spec fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 2, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
No angel of the winds or showare?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Verman posted:

No angel of the winds or showare?

I forgot the community rink! Edited. And I haven't had a game at Showare in...ages so no rank for them.

edit: hah haven't had a Showare game since pre-COVID and we somehow had two games in a week there.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 2, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Also F tier:

Sprinker because it’s soft as hell for the figure skaters and kids maul the ice during open skate.

Bremerton because it’s 20 years old and in need of a major service in their cooling plant. There’s an air bubble in the lines so a spot that doesn’t freeze migrates across the ice as the air moves

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Cripes there’s a bunch of you here.

If anyone figures me out I can give you a free tour of any penalty box whenever you want. Also happy to grab a beer on a night I’m not in stripes.

Non-Kraken league used rinks need tiering too. I’d put Snoqualmie at A tier as they do keep it nice and it’s kept cold. Kirkland is D tier. VMFH is C tier unless you get it after 9pm when they’ve had a chance to lower the temp and it’s not summer. D tier at 7pm or all summer because windows. Renton is a C tier. It’s okay, bit soft, but the only spot on the ice I hate is the Zam doors.

Highland gets an honorable mention for having the best ice this winter they’ve had in a decade.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It's funny how things have changed. When I got here 8 years ago, Olympic view and Kent valley were the best ice you could get. Cold, smooth, and hard. They used to edge them well. Angel of the winds big ice and showare were the best but the rinks are really warm.

Things have changed so much over the years. Highland is a parking lot now. Completely gone. I mostly played on the small ice there but it was a friendly small place.

I've pretty much stopped playing because of my back but I'm debating playing in Winthrop this January. I'm going to need to work out and do my exercises so it doesn't kill me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What’s the skill level like at Winthrop? I don’t know of anyone local going, so I might sign up as a free agent.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
They do three? different tournaments, Nov , Dec, Jan. I think Nov is the lowest div 6-8, Dec is the highest 1-3 and Jan is middle 4-5?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hah drat where did all of the Seattle hockey goons pop up from??

Also dear god I do not miss the Everett community sweat center at all

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyduck posted:

https://skate-armor.com/

I'm ordering a neck guard from here when they're back in stock. Supposedly they're the best according to an NIH study. I haven't worn one in over 20 years when my HS league mandated them for a year, but it's time
Update: I pre-ordered one, but there's understandably a 60+ day lead time. It's just a small company in Wisconsin. I'll give a review when I get it and have some time to try it out.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I bet the next wave of neck guards will be even better. Might be worth letting the current stock sell through and see what efforts are made by companies to be the definitive brand of quality neck guards in the not too distant future.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The penguins announced last night their ECHL and AHL teams are required to use neck and wrist protection and are pushing to have the NHL require it too.

So demand is only going to go up. That does mean more products are going to get developed because capitalism demands it but it'll take a while to hit stores.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I could see them grandfathered in by the NHL eventually. Hockey Canada and now all of major junior requires them.

Looking at you, USA Hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking forward to Bauer's brand new kevlar neck guard shirt, available for only $199.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

The penguins announced last night their ECHL and AHL teams are required to use neck and wrist protection and are pushing to have the NHL require it too.

So demand is only going to go up. That does mean more products are going to get developed because capitalism demands it but it'll take a while to hit stores.

A handful of AHL players had them last night, wearing the turtleneck version.

One player even talked about it during his intermission interview. I was shocked to see anyone actually volunteering to wear them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sucks that someone had to die for change to start but improvement is improvement I guess.

Remains to be seen if it lasts more than two months.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

Sucks that someone had to die for change to start but improvement is improvement I guess.

Remains to be seen if it lasts more than two months.
It took NASCAR losing their biggest star for them to finally stop half-assing safety measures. I think this genuinely has orgs and players spooked.

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1720117519841734727?s=20

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I grew up having to wear em and will go back I guess. They’re a hell of a lot more comfortable than what I started with.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hello I am another kraken fan who has just signed up for learn to skate :)

Doing it at Tacoma Twins. Hoping this goes well.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Maybe it wasn’t me after all, I scored two including the game winner on Sunday.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

seiferguy posted:

Hello I am another kraken fan who has just signed up for learn to skate :)

Doing it at Tacoma Twins. Hoping this goes well.

Requesting 10 day trip report

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The skater that cut Adam Johnson got arrested for manslaughter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

I guess that's another motivation for mandating neck protection: liability. Who would want to go skate if someone is out there without protection and a random collision gets you in jail for murder? I haven't watched the video and ain't gonna but I guess a complicating factor is that this skater was actually trying to kick him. So maybe it's pretty cut and dried.

Maybe it wouldn't play out that way in America but we're also way more lawsuit happy here so perhaps the end result is just as bad.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think the problem here is he wasn’t really making a controlled hockey play, so it rises above into something very bad. I don’t think he was trying to kill him, but intent to injure comes up from the hockey people I know that have watched it.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
Hi all!
Just started playing near the beginning of this year, in the rookie/beginner league here. I've been taking learn to skate group lessons since mid last year, but just started taking it a lot more seriously when I joined a team. My edge work feels fairly decent, and I can crossover forward and back, do transitions and stuff, but without a deep knee bend or a lot of power.

My skating coaches keep telling me I'm getting a lot faster, but my knee bend (read as complete lack thereof) is absolutely killing me. I've been doing a lot more bulgarian split squats and wallsits the last few weeks. I've noticed that my strength is getting better and I can wallsit longer, I just hit the minute 30 second mark, or do more reps of squats. Unfortunately as soon as I'm on the ice and try to stay in a good hockey stance I can't do it more than a few seconds.

I noticed recently a lot of content around shin angle instead of just knee bend, and I can just barely get my knees past my toes so I think my ankle mobility is really screwing me up and part of why I can't maintain a good hockey stance for any time. As well as needing to continue growing in strength. I just found some ankle dorsiflexion exercises from hockey trainings youtube channel so hopefully that will help.

The last game I played I tried to really focus on pushing my knees forward and my shins were so sore and tired by the end so there is definitely some lacking strength there as well.

It's frustrating but I'm trying to play past it, when I hear skating coaches or advice from my team captain 'Just Bend Your Knees More'. Like I'm trying, if it was that easy I would be.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Today at Rat, a guy on the other team kept hooking me from behind and it got so bad that one time he actually pulled me down onto the ice. When I told him to stop hooking me, he responded with "that's my game."

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Today at Rat, a guy on the other team kept hooking me from behind and it got so bad that one time he actually pulled me down onto the ice. When I told him to stop hooking me, he responded with "that's my game."

I’m sure that’s super helpful when he takes three hooking calls in the first period of every game.

That or he doesn’t play leagues anymore and it’s just rat hockey because he takes too many calls. Referees do remember those guys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bending your knees more is treated like a cure-all, but there's a lot more going on down there than just the angle of your knees. It's obviously something all never-evers gently caress up so I get why coaches harp on it so much but it's just part of the equation.

Get your hip mobility up, work those abductors and adductors, work those fast twitch responses (if you can do stump jumps you're plenty fast for beer league) and learn how to do a full leg extension on each stride (including pushing off with your toe). Oh and do planks. Lots of planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

Bending your knees more is treated like a cure-all, but there's a lot more going on down there than just the angle of your knees. It's obviously something all never-evers gently caress up so I get why coaches harp on it so much but it's just part of the equation.

Get your hip mobility up, work those abductors and adductors, work those fast twitch responses (if you can do stump jumps you're plenty fast for beer league) and learn how to do a full leg extension on each stride (including pushing off with your toe). Oh and do planks. Lots of planks.

The only planks the majority of beer leaguers I see can do are the ones that were popular on tiktok.

Core strength was the part that I needed to work on to get down in my chair more than the leg/knee strength. Once I improved it I found that I could really get down with bent knees in the A frame. That and daily stretching really helped a ton.