Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BobHoward posted:

Tin whiskers are the wildest thing. Like what the gently caress, tin, why you do that??? Sensible metals aren't supposed to just spontaneously grow micron-diameter whiskers!

(as i understand it we don't even understand the reasons why tin whiskers grow, either)

They cause so much annoyance in industries where super high reliability is a necessity. Conformal coating is one of the ways they'll try to reduce tin whisker shorts, and if you ever have to rework or probe a conformal coated PCB assembly for any reason, it's a goddamned pain in the rear end.

I recently learned that they're a huge problem in spacefairing electronics, tin (and other metals, particularly zinc) sublimate in vacuum, which increases the whiskering quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BobHoward posted:

(as i understand it we don't even understand the reasons why tin whiskers grow, either)

Within the past decade there seems to be a consensus that it’s a compressive stress relieving phenomenon, in some cases the stress is caused by the formation of tin-copper intermetallics. The stress causes tin atoms to diffuse toward the whisker root, propagating it upwards.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 4, 2023

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Never have I ever limped home on back roads while going through 3 bottles of brake fluid after a caliper was sheared off

Never have I done the same after blowing a brake line. More than once, on different vehicles.

Never have I run out of gas at the exact moment that I turned in front of a triaxle dump truck to pull into a gas station.

Never have I driven back and forth to work for a week (60 mile round trip per day) with one of my caliper bolts sitting on top of my lower control arm, eventually having the other bolt loosen enough for the caliper to pivot and wedge against the inside of the wheel, while at a stop sign a few hundred feet from my house - and then pulled the wheel to find the other caliper bolt was somehow still sitting on top of the LCA.

Never have I accidentally left a T-top unlatched, hit triple digit speeds on the drag strip in that condition, and eventually had it fly off on the highway.

Never have I owned a piece of poo poo carbureted truck that came with a "warm up brick" in the cab.

Never have I had a slight mishap during a pitman arm replacement that resulted in surgery and months of occupational therapy.

Never have I tried to break rusty front lugnuts loose with hand tools, while the rear was on jack stands with the wheels off, resulting in a truck rolling forward, tipping off the jack stands, and landing on the rear drums.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

JoshGuitar posted:

Never have I tried to break rusty front lugnuts loose with hand tools, while the rear was on jack stands with the wheels off, resulting in a truck rolling forward, tipping off the jack stands, and landing on the rear drums.

Never have I ever gotten under a car sitting on a scissor jack, on an inclined driveway, nor did I put all my weight into a wrench trying to break a caliper bolt loose.

Definitely didn't hear the jack creaking, definitely didn't poo poo myself getting out from under the car right as it didn't fall on the rotor either.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 4, 2023

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Never have I ever had my clutch cable snap 5 miles from home and unplug the clutch switch so I could start it in first and crunch my way home.

Never have I ever spent hours diagnosing multiple cars that wouldn't start and had no gas.

Never have I ever hosed up a spring swap so bad the rear end of the car was 6" higher than the rear when I finally set it down on the ground. I definitely didn't say gently caress it at 2 am and go autox it the next day.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Is this the OSHA thread now

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
never have i ever driven my friends truck to go buy acid and pizza only to leave the lights on at the pizza place and kill the battery.

never have i ever then hooked up some jumper cables backwards and fried the fusable link leaving my buddy with a dead truck for months because i was too embarrased to tell him what i had done

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Never have I ever had a bad parking brake and made sure to park my vehicle where it had nowhere to roll. Because never have I ever learned to do this because once I parked said vehicle in a hilly lot then came out an hour later to find it spanning two spaces on the opposite side of the parking area from where I parked it.

That jeep 4.0L I-6 was very unhappy about having been turned backwards couple dozen times but it still fired up. Hypothetically, of course. Since it never happened.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

honda whisperer posted:

Never have I ever had my clutch cable snap 5 miles from home and unplug the clutch switch so I could start it in first and crunch my way home.

The same car that didn't almost kill me was an 88 Accord - no clutch switch on Accords until the 1990 model year. :haw: I definitely didn't use the starter to move it around the parking lot after the timing belt broke either.

Shifty Pony posted:

Never have I ever had a bad parking brake and made sure to park my vehicle where it had nowhere to roll. Because never have I ever learned to do this because once I parked said vehicle in a hilly lot then came out an hour later to find it spanning two spaces on the opposite side of the parking area from where I parked it.

That jeep 4.0L I-6 was very unhappy about having been turned backwards couple dozen times but it still fired up. Hypothetically, of course. Since it never happened.

Never did I ever have a Saturn with a broken parking brake cable. That 2.2 Ecotec also wasn't too pleased, for the same reasons. Hypothetically.

Never did I ever chase the drat thing a few houses away when reverse still wasn't enough to hold it. Never forgot to aim the wheels toward the curb either.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
when i was a shithead 16 year old i tried to pass someone on the soft shoulder of a 35mph street. said soft shoulder culminated in basically a ramp and i had all four wheels of a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88 off the ground.

this sort of thing below but baby blue with a dark blue landau top. the thing was a tank, my mom borrowed it and fell asleep behind the wheel on the interstate and took out a sign. My sister borrowed it and hit a deer. cosmetic damage both times. looked like a gigantic piece of poo poo after all that, but still ran like a top.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It still holds air, it's fine

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Fresh racing slicks

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
When you want your IRL car to have those RTX reflections too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dr.Smasher posted:

Is this the OSHA thread now

insufferable conversation so you just scroll through it for the GIFs?
yep

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/d7tCEew.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You shouldn't run the afterburners that long.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

:siren:DANGER TO MANIFOLD:siren:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Can someone explain this failure mode honest? Is that running rich and burning fuel in the exhaust?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Wasabi the J posted:

Can someone explain this failure mode honest? Is that running rich and burning fuel in the exhaust?

Isn’t it more than just running rich but like a cylinder or 2 not getting spark so it’s just burning in the exhaust?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Wasabi the J posted:

Likely either a fuel injector that's stuck open dumping gobs of gas into the cylinder or something failed in the ignition system causing the cylinder not to fire. Or both because the excess fuel from a stuck injector has fouled the plug.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep to all above.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

chrisgt posted:

Likely either a fuel injector that's stuck open dumping gobs of gas into the cylinder or something failed in the ignition system causing the cylinder not to fire. Or both because the excess fuel from a stuck injector has fouled the plug.

I helped a buddy change plugs on a 1982 F-250 w/ the 460 V8 and misrouted the wires. After a hard start and letting it run (badly) for a minute, we figured it out. By that time the entire exhaust system was red hot.

Gotta be careful working on something with two people. Communication is key.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Catalytic thieves cannot steal my unit if it's melting or running as a pulsejet :science:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep to all above.

AND they're probably hammering the throttle because it's running like dogshit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Parents had two Chevettes.

Anyone who knows about Chevettes (god help you) know the floorboards rusting out was a very common occurrence. My old man would drive poo poo into the ground. And hey, back then, when an "American" car hit 60K it was basically trashed.

So anyways, his 78 Chevette had a giant hole in the floor, which was somewhat covered by carpeting that of course was being worn through as well. One day driving to work he dropped his sunglasses and they fell through the floor. He turned around to get them and realized he ran them over.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

dp

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Parents had two Chevettes.

Anyone who knows about Chevettes (god help you) know the floorboards rusting out was a very common occurrence. My old man would drive poo poo into the ground. And hey, back then, when an "American" car hit 60K it was basically trashed.

So anyways, his 78 Chevette had a giant hole in the floor, which was somewhat covered by carpeting that of course was being worn through as well. One day driving to work he dropped his sunglasses and they fell through the floor. He turned around to get them and realized he ran them over.

Easy to push-start

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yabba dabba doo

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I went to inspect my S10 yesterday (fully expecting a fail but it passed with no problems) and the dude in front of me had his SAAB 9-5 wagon up for inspection. The inspector got to the front end and started going "oh dear... how in the... oh dear....". Turns out the whole subframe was basically held up by the suspension struts. The front bushings had no bolts in them, and the rear and top bushings had completely torn. The inspector could twist the whole subframe with one hand. Needless to say it was declared unsafe and the guy wasn't even allowed to drive it home.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a bicycle does not fit in the bed of the cybertruck

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Jesus, I've never looked at one of those close enough to see how tiny the rear window is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's okay, the whole roof is glass

just like you want on a pickup

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Jesus, I've never looked at one of those close enough to see how tiny the rear window is.

It doesn't matter, since the tonneau cover normally blocks it completely.

That tonneau cover being deployed will also be absolutely necessary to get the stated range.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

a bicycle does not fit in the bed of the cybertruck

It also won't fit in the bed of any of the other 4 door pickups with tiny beds running around (most of them)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Coming soon, the cybertruck cyber headache rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Panoramic sunroofs have been a thing in trucks for about a decade now. It's in the right thread.