Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

majestic12 posted:

3 year old, as she lovingly put a crown on my head: “this is your crown”

oh thank you

“This is your poop head crown”

Got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

majestic12 posted:

oh thank you

Heavy is the poop head that wears the crown.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

majestic12 posted:

oh thank you

I love little kid burns

Buddy of mine was out walking with his daughter and she was assigning them numbers (she watches a LOT of Numberblocks)

:eng101: :" I'll be 12 so I'll be divisible by 2,3,4 and 6. Mommy, you can be 16 so you're divisible by 2,4, and 8. "

"Daddy, you're 19."

absolutely savage

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking forward to the funny burns instead of the current burn he's settled on which is "No! I don't love you!" followed by cackling

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My kid told me my mouth was stinky today! It wasn't even

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My daughter has started saying y'all and it's very funny.

Soon I'll be bigger like y'all *gestures to me and mom*

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I live in fear of the day that my child tops this burn.

wizzardstaff posted:

Standing outside on the patio this afternoon and my kid tells me not to move. She draws a chalk circle around me and says I can step out. Then she tells me the circle is so people know where to avoid because it might be full of stinky farts.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My kid told me to shut my fat mouth last week :(

Kid insults get less fun as they get older.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

remigious posted:

Urgh had to put my son in timeout because he wouldn’t stop sticking a finger up his butt!

Kid got HFM last week and got it real bad on the ol' butthole, he never tried scratching there before but it has been a terrible experience trying to keep his hands out since.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Multitasking backfired today as the oven timer went off while I was mid-poo poo. Whoops.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 14, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Any goons with older kids who do allowance / pay for chores? If so, how old were your kids when you started doing it, and what's the going rate?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have a 6 and 9 year old. I only pay for ‘exceptional’ chores. Their usual routines - dishes, cleaning up after themselves, putting their clothes away - are table stakes for being in the family and don’t get paid. I pay them $5 if they do extra chores for ~30 minutes, like cleaning the dining table and placemats + vacuuming under it.

I wanted to be really clear to them that some stuff you just have to do as a part of family life. It’s the extras that get an extra reward. I’ve also paid for quiz grades on subjects they’re struggling in, as an example.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Any goons with older kids who do allowance / pay for chores? If so, how old were your kids when you started doing it, and what's the going rate?

We don't pay for chores. We feel like cleaning is a part of being a human and living in a home.

We pay for grades. My child's 'job' is focusing on academics. And like a job, it pays money on a consistent basis with achievable baseline pay and bonus pay for top tier performance. I also encourage him to negotiate on his own behalf.

That is the extent of the simulation by the way. He will have enough time as a grownup paying taxes, dealing with shithead bosses, wage theft, etc

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

gbut posted:

"gently caress is a bad word. We don't say gently caress"

My son has been asking "Whyyyyy???" for everything we tell him. Yesterday I told him Why is a bad word and he said "Why isn't a bad word, gently caress is a bad word" and my wife and I just both broke out laughing.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Allowance started at 6 for our oldest, and we'll probably do the same for the twins when they're 6. We give $3 a week base, and our oldest can earn more by turning in homework. We'll probably have to raise the amount soon.

A few months ago my oldest lost her wallet. My wife wants to hold onto our daughter's money now, keep a spreadsheet online to keep track of her money. I just don't think our daughter would understand how to interact with that money... But maybe that's just my old man opinion. I mean I don't ever use cash, and I doubt my daughter will use that cash often in her adulthood.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Gin posted:

We don't pay for chores. We feel like cleaning is a part of being a human and living in a home.

We pay for grades. My child's 'job' is focusing on academics. And like a job, it pays money on a consistent basis with achievable baseline pay and bonus pay for top tier performance. I also encourage him to negotiate on his own behalf.

That is the extent of the simulation by the way. He will have enough time as a grownup paying taxes, dealing with shithead bosses, wage theft, etc

OK, incoming unsolicited parenting advice: Research indicates that paying for grades is counterproductive, and actually leads to worse academic outcomes.

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/does-paying-kids-to-do-well-in-school-actually-work/2017/10 posted:

“If the incentive is tied to the performance on the test, the effects are small if there at all,” said Livingston. “But if you tie it to the preparation for the test, the studying, like incentivizing reading a book or doing practice tests … that tends to have much bigger effects.”

Some psychology researchers think they can explain why it's like this. I'm not one of those, but I read at least one book that says the key to performing well in anything (including school) is to find your intrinsic motivation. I.e. the student that wants to learn in order to learn will generally do well. If we, as adults, add external motivators, like cash, we are telling the student that learning is not fun, and is not supposed to be fun, so it needs external motivators. It's something you just have to power through.

That's the theory, anyway. (You can check out the book, BTW, it's "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.)

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Growing up, my cousins did lousy in school so my grandfather started to give out money for good grades. To make it fair he offered it to all of the grandchildren. It didn't really make a difference for my cousins, but my sister and I, who were already doing well in school, really cleaned up. I can't say that it motivated me to work extra hard, it was more of a bonus for what I was already doing.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, incoming unsolicited parenting advice: Research indicates that paying for grades is counterproductive, and actually leads to worse academic outcomes.

Some psychology researchers think they can explain why it's like this. I'm not one of those, but I read at least one book that says the key to performing well in anything (including school) is to find your intrinsic motivation. I.e. the student that wants to learn in order to learn will generally do well. If we, as adults, add external motivators, like cash, we are telling the student that learning is not fun, and is not supposed to be fun, so it needs external motivators. It's something you just have to power through.

That's the theory, anyway. (You can check out the book, BTW, it's "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.)

Thanks for that! I will.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Holy poo poo just let me make my bed and leave it made for a period of time

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Oh my god we borrowed the “Dungeons and Dragons Behold! A Search and Find Adventure” book from the library because I’m a big nerd. I expected the toddler to be disinterested in it.

But the (almost) 3 year old absolutely loves it! It’s melting my heart. We keep finding Myopus the Beholder in every scene (essentially the Waldo of the book) and he calls him ‘Opus. “Opus has another one eyeball!”

He wants to fight all the bad guys, especially the Tarrasque, and asked if we can fight them on the TV. Unfortunately buddy there is no toddler friendly DND video game that I’m aware of. I can’t wait to get him playing some real D&D here in a few years. Too cute.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

As I was putting my 3 year old daughter to bed she said "Daddy, I have a small belly and small hands and small feet..." I was fully expecting a "you have a big belly" comment but she just said "...and you're a stinky boy". Fantastic misdirection.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

killer crane posted:

Allowance started at 6 for our oldest, and we'll probably do the same for the twins when they're 6. We give $3 a week base, and our oldest can earn more by turning in homework. We'll probably have to raise the amount soon.

A few months ago my oldest lost her wallet. My wife wants to hold onto our daughter's money now, keep a spreadsheet online to keep track of her money. I just don't think our daughter would understand how to interact with that money... But maybe that's just my old man opinion. I mean I don't ever use cash, and I doubt my daughter will use that cash often in her adulthood.

Famzoo has a decent setup with prepaid cash cards that prepare kids for a debit card. I like that I can just set an age-based allowance and quickly transfer money or reimburse them when they’re out with friends or on a field trip. My kid is a good bit older, but it also worked well when I was fostering a 10-year-old.

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
On my hands and knees in the front room cleaning something, I hear 'How do you like this old man!'. I turn to see my 5 year old leaping off the couch, Minecraft Sword above his head.

Nothing I could do, had to take the hit. Was a nice move. I am only 45 though, not that effing old.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son (almost 3) has recently ratcheted up the intensity of his tantrums to include stomping his feet and screaming at the top of his lungs like a teakettle. Is this normal??

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

remigious posted:

My son (almost 3) has recently ratcheted up the intensity of his tantrums to include stomping his feet and screaming at the top of his lungs like a teakettle. Is this normal??

Christ I hope so. Also, bent in half, full face-on-the-floor screaming.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yes. I recommend buying rock concert earplugs so you can stay calm instead of getting your eardrums blown out.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Well I am relieved the hear that this is normal behavior, lol.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My wife and I have COVID. Activating emergency third parent: TV.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We've set some limits on what she can and can't do (no throwing or hitting poo poo) but other than that we tell her if she needs to calm down she can find a spot and do that and then we work around her. Obviously while also holding the ground on whatever set the tantrum off which could be literally loving anything. And she's a chill kid! She rolls with things! But she's also three so every so often she'll just melt completely down.

She's moved on but for a while her calm down spot was the carpeted stairs, she'd get super mad then say I NEED TO CALM DOWN and throw herself full length across a stair and we'd just here the wails of the damned for a few minutes.

Then she's totally fine. Kids!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

remigious posted:

We call our kid "our little banshee" due to the above combined with some Irish heritage. I have come to know the meaning of a "blood-curdling scream."

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Oof, 4 for 4 with rsv into ear infection, even the 8 month old who only has one ear. I do not recommend a whole house of cranky sick people.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

External Organs posted:

Activating emergency third parent: TV.
Back up thread title

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
T minus 2 hours till we have our second kid. I can already feel the sleep deprivation coming

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

We just sprung for a year of Huckleberry plus. Making the naps easier well worth it (on sale).

Good luck Olan, see you on the other side

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I feel ya. We're on the last week before the predicted due date, so it's happening any time now. This will be interesting!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Congrats but also my condolences fr, but mostly congrats.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

We just got the Nuchal Translucency NT exam done today at 12 weeks and passed. Sub chorionic bleed has also cleared up so we can resume exercise + bedroom exercise, which is exciting.

We knew it was a boy from the NIPT but now have a nice ultrasound image of a very small weiner. My first time seeing an ultrasound of it as last time we kept the sex as a surprise.

Standard caveat that I don’t care about baby’s gender, just want happy/healthy, yada yada, but I was a little sad the result was 2nd boy instead of a girl. It was fun briefly looking at girl names and imagining a little girl who looked like me and my wife, and wondering about her thoughts on princesses and patriarchy. Just a small amount of grief over “losing” a person who never existed except for in my imagination.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

T minus 2 hours till we have our second kid. I can already feel the sleep deprivation coming

Congrats!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God drat this kid really likes leaf piles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

space uncle posted:

We just got the Nuchal Translucency NT exam done today at 12 weeks and passed. Sub chorionic bleed has also cleared up so we can resume exercise + bedroom exercise, which is exciting.

We knew it was a boy from the NIPT but now have a nice ultrasound image of a very small weiner. My first time seeing an ultrasound of it as last time we kept the sex as a surprise.

Standard caveat that I don’t care about baby’s gender, just want happy/healthy, yada yada, but I was a little sad the result was 2nd boy instead of a girl. It was fun briefly looking at girl names and imagining a little girl who looked like me and my wife, and wondering about her thoughts on princesses and patriarchy. Just a small amount of grief over “losing” a person who never existed except for in my imagination.

Yeah don't judge yourself too much about the feelings you have with respect to that. I definitely went through that when I found out we were having a boy (well I have some baggage about it but that's neither here nor there). Just having those thoughts doesn't mean anything about you as a person, it's the love that you show your children that is the only thing that matters. I felt disappointment for a while but I can't imagine having anyone else than my lovely little boy, he's so sweet. Having those thoughts can definitely make you feel bad, judging yourself for that just makes you feel worse imo.