Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zoux posted:

The Sahara has existed since modern humans have existed right?

There are about 30 different theories on the etymology of Africa.

The Sahara was lush and wet until a few thousand years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zoux posted:

The Sahara has existed since modern humans have existed right?

Modern humans are a lot older than the Sahara, but the Sahara existed before any of the civilizations we're talking about.

Though the Sahara also oscillates between being a brutal desert and more of a steppe, I'm not sure how many cycles of that have happened during the existence of modern humans.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Greeks called the third continent (specifically, everything beyond Egypt) Libya. Africa is a Latin name (uncertain origin but the form is Latin)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm partial to the idea that the Sahara is really just the first Dust Bowl even though there isn't much support for it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Isn't "Was Napoleon good or bad?" one of those history questions where the answer is "yes"? I went through a brief period in books and podcasts of maybe becoming a Napoleon Guy (could be worse as types of Guys go) but bounced off it.
It's a question that is incredibly hard to discuss because so many people are totally disconnected from the actual state of the world at the time. The Napoleonic code and the ending of serfdom in the satellites of France was not a reformation of a legal code, it was a total break with the past. Napoleon hosed up a lot of poo poo, did horrible things in certain situations and to certain groups, and put too much stock in himself and not enough in his men but if you compare him to his contemporary heads of state it's impossible to not respect the level of dedication he had to his rule and the lengths he was willing to go to get everything and every group working together rather than combusting.

Saying he strangled the revolution or was autocratic are non starters, the revolution died with Robspierre and the government was already functionally autocratic and running by false plebiscites at the time. The fact is in order to preserve any of the gains the revolution made someone had to take the reins of power from the Directory to prevent the restoration of the Bourbons and if that man hadn't been Napoleon it would've been Bernadotte or Murat or one of the other generals of the army. Would they have been willing to abdicate like Napoleon when they realized they'd lost? or would they have let France burn to the ground on the small chance they'd maintain a throne like Austria, Prussia, and Russia were all willing to do.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really enjoyed Sarah Vowell’s Lafayette book. It’s an unconventional biography (and the author is very much present in it; don’t read it unless that’s something you can enjoy) but it was a fun and delightful read.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Zopotantor posted:

What do Americans think about Lafayette? There's a guy worth making a movie about.

Even as someone with a joke of a history classin public school, I know the guy. If someone recognizes the name at all it's that badass French dude who saved our bacon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's no political or military leaders who are uncomplicatedly good

it's fine to go 'dang napoleon was cool' or 'dang caesar was cool', imo, because of the historical distance. Far better to do that than either extreme of 'Caesar did nothing wrong' or 'Caesar was a monster and liking him is therefore morally wrong'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Napoleon might be the Greatest Man ever out of all Great Man history, and his ultimate failure to make so much of his intended plans stick might also be the greatest indictment of Great Man history. You stand out the most when there's a lack of greater movements to keep things going, and unquestioned high authority allows you to make a lot of bad mistakes and pursue a lot of bad ideas.

I feel like Napoleon did so much stuff, so much bad stuff, so much good stuff, so many of the things you did, you have to track the ripples through the entire drat world to evaluate, I consider him sort of morally neutral. It's too much work to tabulate. Although if you go by intent rather than results, most of the time he was just self-serving and self-aggrandizing more than anything else.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

cheetah7071 posted:

there's no political or military leaders who are uncomplicatedly good

it's fine to go 'dang napoleon was cool' or 'dang caesar was cool', imo, because of the historical distance. Far better to do that than either extreme of 'Caesar did nothing wrong' or 'Caesar was a monster and liking him is therefore morally wrong'

I mean that's basically how some people in South- and Southeast-Asia, treat Hitler but due to geographical and cultural distance rather than historical.

To them he's basically the same as Genghis Khan, Napoleon or Alexander the Great. Just a guy who conquered a lot of stuff in a short time and was really a powerful and strong leader. Sure he killed a lot of people but so did all the other guys and they were all the way on the other side of the world so they basically don't count.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Silver2195 posted:

Napoleon was a military dictator who maintained a facade of legitimacy through ridiculous rigged plebiscites, conquered countries and installed his brothers as kings of them, invaded Switzerland with no provocation, and reimposed slavery on Haiti. But apparently the fact that he also simplified France’s legal code is enough to make people defend him as some kind of progressive liberal reformer.

I mean, the Directorate he overthrew didn't exactly have a better record of respecting democratic norms and conducting free and fair elections. Also it's worth noting that he failed to reinstate slavery in Haiti; the LeClerc-Rochambeau expedition did not exactly achieve its objectives! The main lasting effect from it, aside from uniting Haiti against the French and emboldening them enough to declare independence, were the Polish volunteer and conscripted soldiers sent on it, nearly all of whom (well, after a couple years, once their numbers had already been cut 90% by combat and yellow fever) defected to the Haitians and became celebrated heroes of the Revolution awarded "Noir" status and citizenship by the new government.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I sometimes wonder what Napoleon might have done if he had gone to America, which Lafayette had arranged, after losing at Waterloo. The French probably made the right decision by saying "no way, gently caress that, you're going to Saint Helena"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I sometimes wonder what Napoleon might have done if he had gone to America, which Lafayette had arranged, after losing at Waterloo. The French probably made the right decision by saying "no way, gently caress that, you're going to Saint Helena"

The Civil War but with Louis Napoleon

e: there’s gotta be a Harry Turtledove book about this right

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 15, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

skasion posted:

The Civil War but with Louis Napoleon

e: there’s gotta be a Harry Turtledove book about this right

there's a movie starred by keanu reeves about it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
what alignment is 1204

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I get all of them but 565. I even looked it up and I know what happened and I still don't get it less so the alignment it's associated with

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Ok I get all of them but 565. I even looked it up and I know what happened and I still don't get it less so the alignment it's associated with

Death of Justinian I, who had tenuously rebuilt much of the empire, reconquering Africa and Italy. After his death, it all fell apart again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also the last native Latin speaking emperor.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Shouldn't CE be 1917, since that's the year the actual Tsardom was overthrown?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

1918 is apparently Austria-Hungary, not Nicky.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Which country is Rome again now? I think the title passed to Vietnam by my math, where it is going to stay for quite some time

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Deteriorata posted:

Death of Justinian I, who had tenuously rebuilt much of the empire, reconquering Africa and Italy. After his death, it all fell apart again.

Ah I misread the year 565 entry when I looked it up on my phone - it says "Justin II succeeds his uncle Justinian I" and my brain saw "Justinian I succeeds his uncle Justin I". I immediately thought "Doesn't the end of Justinian's reign make more sense...?"

Feelin like a dummy but I guess I still had 7 of the 8 dates.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

skasion posted:

From loving Corsica though. This is by far the most insane part of Napoleon’s life story. For a decade this guy ruled half of Europe among and against its own divinely anointed crowned heads, when he was a semi-assimilated “notable” from an irrelevant island mostly known to other Europeans for poverty and crime. It’s completely baffling that it occurred. It’s like if the Galactic Emperor turned out to be from Scranton, PA.

Don't give joe ideas

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
No answer on that chart is right since c. 639 is the actual date.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of the most interesting things about learning about Napoleon is learning about Pasquale Paoli and how influential he was in his time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Don't give joe ideas
If we must have an Emperor after Norton the Stainless, Hunter seems as good a candidate as any

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a friend with an Italian grandma, he crowned me emperor of Rome.

It's as good a claim as any and I'm the best man for the job. Rome's not gonna die on my watch.

Any news on that Seneca movie that looks batshit? I don't remember when that was supposed to come out, but it didn't look like it was gonna be historically accurate lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean don't have to convince me that I'd like to see a Dumas biopic, Dumas rules. But I'm not a widely celebrated director with a robust decades-long track record of commercial and critical success. That guy wants to make a movie about Napoleon I guess.

Neutral Good should be 1922, aka my preferred date.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Tulip posted:

I mean don't have to convince me that I'd like to see a Dumas biopic, Dumas rules. But I'm not a widely celebrated director with a robust decades-long track record of commercial and critical success. That guy wants to make a movie about Napoleon I guess.

Neutral Good should be 1922, aka my preferred date.

Sorry, you're Lawful Evil.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm partial to the theory that due to various dynastic leaps and declared imperial successor cities and states it's actually Helsinki that has ended up as the nth direct imperial successor to Rome. Finns have just wisely kept the whole thing under wraps, waiting for their chance.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm partial to the theory that due to various dynastic leaps and declared imperial successor cities and states it's actually Helsinki that has ended up as the nth direct imperial successor to Rome. Finns have just wisely kept the whole thing under wraps, waiting for their chance.

Watch out Korea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of napoleon as a topic for English language audiences. Don't we have enough lionization of dictators already?

Maybe I've spent too many years reading Sharpe and Aubrey / Maturin.

Like making a Cobra Commander movie

Cobra Commander movie would be great, his backstory is nuts. He was a salesman who started a MLM that got so big it attracted attention from terrorists and arms manufacturers.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Locally there are lots of Lafayette memorials but the fun part is that some are his OG tour during the revolution and some are from years later when he came back and did a farewell sweep through the same towns

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

1918 is apparently Austria-Hungary, not Nicky.

Why is that CE, and the end of the Ottomans is CG? The alignment assignments for most of these graphs usually feel completely arbitrary.

500excf type r posted:

Locally there are lots of Lafayette memorials but the fun part is that some are his OG tour during the revolution and some are from years later when he came back and did a farewell sweep through the same towns

Way more than those, too. The US had more than doubled in territorial extent in the intervening 40+ years, nearly doubled in number of states, and roughly tripled in population.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

The weirdest part of his whole career is the time he requested leave from the army after Corsica's three-way civil/independence war broke out, was granted it and returned there, overstayed his leave by nearly a year as he participated in the war, even briefly fought against French forces on the island as he served under his family's old Corsican nationalist patron (not realizing Paoli had since become a royalist secretly allied with Britain), and then after all that managed to get himself reinstated as an officer in the French Revolutionary Army.

Ideologically reliable guys who had completed an education in the artillery school were not going to be turned away in 1793, when it looked like the Republic was going to be crushed by the armies of the monarchies.

And that piece of paper paid off for the French right away, since Napoleon showed up at Toulon took one look at it and was like "If you let me put cannons on that hill we will immediately win the battle" and the political fart in charge was like "we do not have cannons" so Napoleon went off into the countryside and collected dozens of cannons and brought them back and the political generals were still like "no" and then finally they were like "okay you can take a few guys to that hill" and a few hours later the Allied fleet was evacuating the city under fire from that hill.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 19, 2023

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Anyone know any good watching or reading about the Umayyad conquest of Hispania and the Reconquista?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Vapor Moon posted:

Anyone know any good watching or reading about the Umayyad conquest of Hispania and the Reconquista?

Can't help you with watching, but these books might be enjoyable:

Conquest of [most of the] Iberian Peninsula: The Great Arab Conquests by Hugh Kennedy.
Some primary sources from that time that are an interesting read: Medieval Iberia, 2nd Ed., Edited by Olivia Remie Constable
Reconquista (specific to Lisbon): The conquest of Lisbon, translated by Charles Wendell David.
Reconquista (overview): Reconquest and Crusade in Medieval Spain by Joseph F. O'Callaghan
edit: Forgot to add: Muslim Spain and Portugal: A Political History of al-Andalus, likewise by Hugh Kennedy.

These are all in English; I think if you can read in French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic you might have even more options.

Sarern fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 19, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

Why is that CE, and the end of the Ottomans is CG?

The end of the Ottomans would be another contender for 1918, or for 1923, depending on if you count the years of foreign occupation, where the monarchy still limped along for a while as basically slaves for foreign interests, until the new republic mercifully ended that shitshow for good.

I think you meant the end of East Rome?

Anyway, none of the options for 1918 fit LE, so yeah, that table is basically filled by way of RNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I would assume 1918 is recognizing the Kaiser's claim because that was when Germany was stabbed in a direction of some dispute, losing War War 1.